Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GGs are idiotic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

https://twitter.com/scott_tobias/status/940229190879555590?s=09

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

GGs are idiotic

I don’t care about award shows but Twin Peaks not getting noms for almost every category is seriously some hack poo poo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

atrus50 posted:

Kale got the golden globe nom for best actor in a limited series but the return didn't get a nod itself

Boo hiss

I thought I accidentally clicked on the Dragonball Super thread and I got real confused

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Escobarbarian posted:

This thing in the main BTS series of like “alien german narrator who doesn’t understand humanity” is uber pretentious and annoying

Yeah, it loving sucks. I skipped all those parts after like two of the documentary movies.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t care about award shows but Twin Peaks not getting noms for almost every category is seriously some hack poo poo.

yeah this is reminding me of the golden era of HBO when fuckin greys anatomy and poo poo kept winning everything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He may not be getting any Golden Globes, but at least Dougie Jones won Alabama.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope we get a season 4 where Dougie becomes president.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It is too weird to get a ton of awards

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

pyrotek posted:

It is too weird to get a ton of awards

The original wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Twin_Peaks

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The original was also more firmly rooted in classical narrative structures in a way that The Return isn't.

Part of what I like about The Return is how different it is, but that's a harder sell on most people, especially when the first few episodes are Lynch in full INLAND EMPIRE mode.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wait, acting nods for agent cooper and.... catherine?? lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Piper Laurie was like the most famous cast member at the time.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah, like, we lose perspective on it now but at the time there was something scandalously delicious in a mock-camp way of casting a very old-school "star of the silver screen," "Leading lady/Damsel in Distress" from the 50s in a role as an older woman who's an icy, callous criminal that loves getting her toes sucked while sipping champagne in a sleazy motel room.

There was something indelibly perfect of an old flame of Ronald Reagan's from the '50s showing up in 1990 in a role like that which most of us do not have the uh, longevity to appreciate the full scope of.

edit: Hahahah Holy poo poo I just read in IMDB trivia that she actually lost her virginity to Reagan in 1949 when she was a teenager and playing his daughter in the film! And that in 1979 she had a one-night stand with Mel Gibson when they were working on the same film, despite a 25-year age difference and Laurie being married at the time. :stare: No Wonder Lynch knew she could pull off Catherine so well.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 14, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hope we get a season 4 where Dougie becomes president.

The Being There parallels just keep piling up

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Season 4 should be Brigg's head going on adventures with a gang of teens every week.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

kaworu posted:

Yeah, like, we lose perspective on it now but at the time there was something scandalously delicious in a mock-camp way of casting a very old-school "star of the silver screen," "Leading lady/Damsel in Distress" from the 50s in a role as an older woman who's an icy, callous criminal that loves getting her toes sucked while sipping champagne in a sleazy motel room.

There was something indelibly perfect of an old flame of Ronald Reagan's from the '50s showing up in 1990 in a role like that which most of us do not have the uh, longevity to appreciate the full scope of.

edit: Hahahah Holy poo poo I just read in IMDB trivia that she actually lost her virginity to Reagan in 1949 when she was a teenager and playing his daughter in the film! And that in 1979 she had a one-night stand with Mel Gibson when they were working on the same film, despite a 25-year age difference and Laurie being married at the time. :stare: No Wonder Lynch knew she could pull off Catherine so well.

Ann Miller's pretty great as Coco in Mulholland as well. Lynch knows how to cast old-school stars.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Since Star Wars is out now, let's remember the day Lynch met George Lucas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of, Laura Dern is killing it lately

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Data Graham posted:

Speaking of, Laura Dern is killing it lately

gently caress you, Poe

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

:negative:

I was so close to not getting spoiled. So... close...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nothing that’s been said is a spoiler???

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Well, you just spoiled that neither Poe nor Laura Dern get killed. :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everyone dies eventually! :haw:

Also I'm seeing The Nine Inch Nails at a festival tonight, and according to their setlist from their last show, they came on stage to the Fireman's theme. I hope they do that tonight too!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 16, 2017

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Season 4 should be Brigg's head going on adventures with a gang of teens every week.

David Lynch's Power Rangers?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for the eventual thinkpiece on how Last Jedi and The Return arguably have very similar themes in some ways ”gently caress your nostalgia”, basically

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Escobarbarian posted:

Only now that I've seen the movie do I understand that. I thought I was being told that Poe killed Laura Dern's character, based on he wording of the two posts.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I can’t wait for the eventual thinkpiece on how Last Jedi and The Return arguably have very similar themes in some ways ”gently caress your nostalgia”, basically

Ohh, c'mon. I don't really think The Return was actually saying anything of the kind. It just was reiterating the fact that you can't ever truly revisit the past and expect things to ever be the same again... And that sentences works on at least a couple levels !

But really, there was so affection and love for the town of Twin Peaks and its inhabitants that I could never ascribe something like "gently caress your nostalgia" to Lynch's attitude. And you could tell that the characters meant just as much to Lynch and the actors as they do to the fans, and that respect and affection truly comes through in scenes like... Well, a lot of the stuff dealing with old Twin Peaks characters really had that genuine affection coming through.

Star Wars characters never felt emotive enough to truly elicit these sorts of feelings and it just feels like... There is all this stuff and corporate bullshit that gets in the way of having a legitimate nostalgic connection to Luke Skywalker be satisfied because it's been so cheapened.

With The Return, one of the things that felt so wonderful was that there didn't seem to be anything getting in the way between what The Artist wanted us to see and what we saw, and there was a sort of... understanding and trust there. Blockbusters like Last Jedi are so wildly different from a bizarre entity like The Return... And I sincerely felt like The Return literally bathed in nostalgia and let us soak in it for episodes at a time, so I have to fundamentally disagree.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Escobarbarian posted:

It did make me think of this with how subversive it was. Laura Dern being in it also helped.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
So has anyone marathoned this yet?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Does anyone have a really nice, high quality shot of that purple-gray sea?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm 90% sure that I got the blu-ray set for Christmas.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

So has anyone marathoned this yet?

I finished it up last weekend, watching Fire Walk With Me then The Return over three days, six hours each evening, with a smoke break every three hours (that rec in the interview sounded good).

Dividing into three parts works very well for it, I thought: story threads come together and resolve (or reach a resting spot) toward the end of each third, with rather cliffhanger-type scenes often being the episodes that mark the three hour breakpoint. Also viewing it in those units made me notice how many shots of ghostwood appear overall.

In my head now the season is a triptych colored with the mythology’s themes. It’s aeneas shield.

Was pleased the scene markers let me skip opening credits, as lots of ending credits scenes blend pretty well into the first scene of the next episode.

Was also blown away for the second time by episode 8’s visuals. Dark room big screen, sony studio monitor headphones. I think none of the viewings i’d had before this were as clear and vivid. I appreciated it when it aired, but this was like an extra kick of rollercoaster-symptoms.

The tension of the final six hours is amazing and the breakpoint is marked by the screaming girl and Axolotl, which is...perfect.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 18, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The screaming girl might be one of my favorite scenes in any movie now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did we ever get a good reason as to why she was screaming girl

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
because of feelings of powerlessness in society, imo

that scene really is loving ace

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

There is not a literal plot reason hidden deep in the show. She's screaming because she feels very bad. She feels very bad because she just got treated like nothing by someone bigger than her, and it's probably not the first time that has happened. Sometimes people just do things because of feelings they are having, and this is especially the case when the thing they are doing is screaming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like that’s basically what I said :cheeky:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Given Charlyne Yi’s poetry content I feel that the role was a little too on the nose for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It’s also another entry in the sequences relating to “it’s a world...of truck drivers”. maybe even near the climax of those vignettes.