Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Agile Vector posted:

thats still the good phones, theres still the blu ones that somehow shave the bom to hay pennies despite having ample profits from user data sales

Why would anyone pay money for the data of an Android user?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

Why would anyone pay money for the data of an Android user?
seems p self evident why detailed information about consumers known to have made bad purchasing and financial information would be valuable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Where is the surface phone, satya? where is it??

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Shaggar posted:

Where is the surface phone, satya? where is it??

I produce and release a "surface phone" like clockwork every day after my morning coffee.*

*: The "surface phone" is a euphemism for my poo poo, because Windows on mobile hasn't been even passably decent since Palm Treo/Dell Axim days. Hth.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows phone is actually very nice and I am excited for the new Andromeda release

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this is annoying https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2019185/copying-files-from-a-mapped-drive-to-a-local-directory-fails-with-erro

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol, what are you using, a login script to map drives?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

no, i just have the one i mapped myself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, yeah, that's why that happens

if you used gpo it wouldn't.

the same thing happens for unc paths and copying files from there to an elevation-required folder on the local machine if the local admin doesn't have access/permissions on the remote machine

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Not a big deal, just disable UAC?

:shrug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

just give yourself a second job administering your home pc like an enterprise network, duh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
still time to order it before yosmas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

anthonypants posted:

still time to order it before yosmas
but do they have any 4XL left in stock?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm the Apple and Intel grade microarchitecture engineer who would work for free just purely for the love of the craft, you know?

as opposed to working for one of those two companies and earning 7 figgies

i wasn't suggesting that risc-v implementations would be good

just that a truly free isa will have useful applications wherever it is helpful not to be sued for publishing implementation details

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

FMguru posted:

but do they have any 4XL left in stock?
Can I interest you in a 3XL ninjacat bacon narwhal T?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fiedler posted:

Can I interest you in a 3XL ninjacat bacon narwhal T?

no thanks, id like an "I Excel" T

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/jeffwilsontech/status/941041723676925952

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what...what does he do in the shell all day that this would be an improvement

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
having a shell over the internet is new and exciting to windows users

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

carry on then posted:

well powershell/cmd.exe have trash ux so the browser is probably way better

burning swine
May 26, 2004

guys, it's THE COOLEST THING SINCE
uh...
lynx?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

carry on then posted:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

carry on then posted:

i asked and he answered https://twitter.com/jeffwilsontech/status/941403962107932672

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

is he being ironic

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
if he genuinely likes edge and is excited for powershell but in the browser then i doubt it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

is he being ironic
i looked at some other replies he's made and i don't think so https://twitter.com/jeffwilsontech/status/941418251824664576

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no this guy is an actual idiot

https://wilson.tech/2017/05/08/using-powershell-and-ipinfo-io-to-ease-the-burden-of-wan-management/

quote:

Imagine for a moment that you are an IT Professional charged with the care, feeding, and security of a classic Wide Area Network (WAN). Further, assume that, like any properly-designed WAN, your remote networks (whether MPLS or classic Hub-spoke) egress their internet connections directly, that is to say, internet traffic from remote networks isn’t back-hauled to your datacenter or HQ.

In such a scenario, you will need to have a list of each remote network’s public IP address and other pertinent details in order to manage routing and security at each branch. In my case, I needed up-to-date public IP address information in order to properly segment & report on internet traffic traversing our SSL/TLS proxy inspection service, Zscaler.

So how would you do this? An earlier version of myself, say 15 years ago, would respond this way:

I’d remote desktop to a node in each remote network, open up a browser window, and visit IPChicken.com. Then I’d carefully copy/paste the IP address details into my Excel document, and happy days! – Jeff, 15 years ago

Wrong answer, Jeff from 15 years ago! That’s bad practice, takes way too much time, involves using the cursed mouse, and is fraught with security risk because it involves browser use.

Fortunately, there is a much better, simpler, faster and more secure way to do this. Even better, it involves my favorite tool in the world, Powershell, as well as IPInfo.io, a web service that blows IPChicken.com out of the water.

i cant even

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

no this guy is an actual idiot

he's a windows admin isn't he?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
ipchicken dot com and ipinfo dot io are just webpages that post your public ip address, so this guy is literally telling you that if he were in charge of a network he'd have to look up any public egress ip addresses using a third-party service

also ifconfig.co is the best one

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:ughh:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

how's the perf on windows for linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

poor io (with vastly different characteristics for different ops, due to the mapping going on) but native for cpu/memory bandwidth/etc. pretty much

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

poor io (with vastly different characteristics for different ops, due to the mapping going on) but native for cpu/memory bandwidth/etc. pretty much

doens't sound too bad

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

doens't sound too bad

it isn't until calling pip takes tens of seconds and may decide not to work.

like other ms products it's a beta

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, entirely anecdotal, but i have used wsl every day for a year and i have had no issue with it that didn't in the end turn out to be an ubuntu problem. by a vast margin my favorite thing microsoft has done for several years

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip: remove windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe