Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Ryoga posted:

EW can't give us the Elegance of the Tallgeese 2.

Treize is the best character in Wing and I'm sad that he has only been playable in one game. Admittedly, that one game has what is probably the best SRW plot ever, but I really wanted to use Treize's big hero of the people cut-in in Z2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davzz posted:

I don't think any game actually did G Gundam's tournament plotline, at best they make reference or joke about it.

Most of the non-Shuffle Alliance tournament fighters don't appear either, except in 64, which I think had Mandala Gundam playable for reasons.

They tied him into the God Mars plot I think?

I know he was in MX too.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna give this one a pass, I think. G-Reco sucks, and I'm very tired of the UC Gundam power hour.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
They should run Wing and EW together in a Nu/Hi-Nu deal. That could give us playable Tallgeese 3 as well as Epyon.

Edit: Just realized that having an actual SRW-X is gonna make finding hilarious fanmade ideas much harder.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 14, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ugh its Troika posted:

I'm gonna give this one a pass, I think. G-Reco sucks, and I'm very tired of the UC Gundam power hour.
g-reco agrees with you about uc gundam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely don't understand the "(series I disliked) is in, well gently caress that SRW!!" mindset considering that like 9 times out of 10 a series I genuinely dislike ends up being the high point of a SRW game because they improve upon it and show its strengths. More often than not the weakest inclusions in SRWs tend to be series that are already good on their own because they have less room to be flexible without souring the original's strengths.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't understand the "(series I disliked) is in, well gently caress that SRW!!" mindset considering that like 9 times out of 10 a series I genuinely dislike ends up being the high point of a SRW game because they improve upon it and show its strengths. More often than not the weakest inclusions in SRWs tend to be series that are already good on their own because they have less room to be flexible without souring the original's strengths.

I mean, I kind of get the gripe, given that out of a roster of 23 IPs, 8 of them are Gundams, making up over a third of the roster. But the point you're making still stands.

Besides, practically NOBODY gets an SRW that has all things they like/are neutral on, and nothing that they dislike. Everybody's got a pet peeve in every roster, and that's by design. You can't please everybody all the time, etc.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It's the same amount of Gundams as V, swapping 00, SEED and Unicorn for G Reco, Wing and Beltorchika's Children, being generous and including that as a series and all the Crossbones as only one. The overall roster is smaller though, with a greater percentage of Reals to Supers, but also some of them are super rad so even if you hate tiny dodge men instead of large tank men it's not a whole roster of Beam Gun and Beam Sword.

The fact that Destiny and Cross Ange have been standout inclusions that a lot of people hate but end up some of the highlights of the game they're in says a lot about how the response to a thing you don't like being in should be getting excited to see how they're going to change it and make it good instead.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I feel like the "SRW game has 1 series that I hate in it, game ruined" thing only really started from Alpha 3 with SEED's inclusion due to its pretty high profile "was forced in by corporate" backstory.

I also think it mostly continues on today because people are actually watching modern mecha anime just to keep up with the trends and not a lot of the older ones that aren't super household names ones (such as Evangelion) due to things like spotty availability of subs, so you don't get the sort of cherry picked "only the bestest" watching experience that you do with going back and watching older anime.

Like I'm not sure if anyone would be excited about Dancougar and Tobikage* debuting if we time traveled back to the past and your only exposure to those shows weren't their SRW appearances and you were judging excitement from source material.

*Feel free to tell me that you actually liked those anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

as far as 80s combiner anime go dancougar's better than a lot of its ilk. there's a kind of shoujo edge to some of it that makes it stand out, especially in the character designs, and the characters are decently written.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Gonna throw my lot in with not getting this refusal to buy a game solely because of one series on there. I mean, if we went with that, I wouldn't have bought Z2.2, because I don't like Code Geass R2. And of the series on X, there are only two I don't like: Cross Ange and Geass R2. Both of which I know SRW has made better. Honestly, so long as we don't have a good chunk of the series be post plot/mostly done, I'll be fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hell I don't like G-Reco either but none of what I don't like about that show is going to be in an SRW while all the things I like will be

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Hokuto posted:

I mean, I kind of get the gripe, given that out of a roster of 23 IPs, 8 of them are Gundams, making up over a third of the roster. But the point you're making still stands.

Besides, practically NOBODY gets an SRW that has all things they like/are neutral on, and nothing that they dislike. Everybody's got a pet peeve in every roster, and that's by design. You can't please everybody all the time, etc.

I was going to bring up W as a counterpoint, but then I remembered Prince of Darkness (which was handled as well as it possibly could have been).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The PS4/Vita Virtual On demo is out now on the Japanese PSN. Interested in hearing impressions as my one VO fan is really hating it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been trying it, and it feels really slow, but I'm also trying to learn it on a controller for the first time while I try to learn how they changed everything.

I can't seem to get the Armor Purge to work on Raiden, but I don't know if it's because they took it out or because I'm doing something horribly wrong since it's all different.

I'd rather have a VOOT PS4 port tbh.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Are there people really boycotting this game in outrage that it has a robot cartoon they don't like? :psyduck:

Davzz posted:

I don't think any game actually did G Gundam's tournament plotline, at best they make reference or joke about it.

Most of the non-Shuffle Alliance tournament fighters don't appear either, except in 64, which I think had Mandala Gundam playable for reasons.

SRW 64 mentions the GANDAMU FAITO exactly once, I believe as part of its backstory, and also features the ZEUS GUNDAM as an enemy. I don't think any other game does either of those.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

J mentions the Gundam Fight once, and when Dearka hears about it he says something like "Where do you Naturals get these ideas? :psyduck:".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

GimmickMan posted:

Are there people really boycotting this game in outrage that it has a robot cartoon they don't like? :psyduck:

Not that I'd do the same but there is a difference between a boycott and just going 'eh, not interested this time'.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Blockhouse posted:

Hell I don't like G-Reco either but none of what I don't like about that show is going to be in an SRW while all the things I like will be

The world isn't square!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Recowns.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Incidentally, I saw this on Twitter. The part of Nadia that the New Nautilus's attack sequence is taken from.

https://twitter.com/Honma_Toro/status/940781571669291008

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Also, we're getting proper F91, with the Vigna Ghina, which is amazing. Hopefully they'll use the correct theme instead of the one they usually use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xladjEJABLE
(Good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6_qq1DoVA
(Not as good)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'd rather have a VOOT PS4 port tbh.

Luckily, you're getting that! All you have to do is buy Yakuza Kiwami 2.

edit: wait kiwami 2 only has original VO

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 14, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seems that SRWX is up for pre-order on Play-Asia.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For what it's worth, the guy running the Akurasu wiki has a set of handy referral links HERE. I'm sure a good chunk of the thread regulars use that site, so just puttin' that out there for your reference.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SRW is generally pretty masterful in making even series that are commonly hated really good and fun. Z1's spin on SEED Destiny is so good that Shinn's voice actor tweeted about how he liked it. Cross Ange is a show that I hated so much that I stopped watching in disgust after the events of the first episode but I ended up enjoying very much in V.

(That said, I think G-Reco is extremely good once you wrap your head around it being Extremely Tomino, and its SRW implementation is not going to be Extremely Tomino because SRW is never written like Tomino productions at all and generally spells things out pretty clearly for the player.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still want Super Tomino Wars, that's just all the Tomino shows.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just don't go the real robot route.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Just don't go the real robot route.

The Super Robot would give us Zambot, though.

So I don't see how that solves anything.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

An all-Tomino SRW would be fine because they would finally be forced to bring Ideon home.

Release the power of the Ide, cowards. BE INVOKED

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

If we have threats that allow the final mechs from Gurren Lagaan to be in games there is no reason Ideon can't be there too. Heck you can say the Ide is just another way a past race tried to deal with the spiral nemesis.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 14, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ethiser posted:

If we have threats that allow the final mechs from Gurren Lagaan to be in games there is no reason Ideon can't be there too. Heck you can say the Ide is just another way a past race tried to deal with the spiral nemesis.

The final boss is Space God Tomino, so disgruntled he wants to kill everything he created. To get the true ending he must be reminded of the hopeful messages he also preached in his works.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

The final boss is Space God Tomino, so disgruntled he wants to kill everything he created. To get the true ending he must be reminded of the hopeful messages he also preached in his works.

"Mr. Tomino?" "Yes?" "... gently caress Space Elevators." "You've learned my lessons well. I am at peace now."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I really hope SRWX goes all in on the anti-space elevator nonsense. Like make it be what finally pushes the Anti-Spirals over the edge, or have the Black Knights try and bomb it or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I really hope SRWX goes all in on the anti-space elevator nonsense. Like make it be what finally pushes the Anti-Spirals over the edge, or have the Black Knights try and bomb it or something.

One day, e'll get all the anime and mangas with Space Elevators in the same SRW. Gundam 00, Zone of the Enders: Dolores I, Gunnm: Last Order, G no Reconguista, and so on.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MonsieurChoc posted:

One day, e'll get all the anime and mangas with Space Elevators in the same SRW. Gundam 00, Zone of the Enders: Dolores I, Gunnm: Last Order, G no Reconguista, and so on.

Tekkaman Blade.

Also, they're all separate space elevators.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if graphically, this is intended to be SRW’s final form. Or forms I guess, one for license games and one for OG, and there are no more big changes in store for us like Alpha to Z or OGS to OGS2nd.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 15, 2017

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if graphically, this is intended to be SRW’s final form. Or forms I guess, one for license games and one for OG, and there are no more big changes in store for us like Alpha to Z or OGS to OGS2nd.

SRW's final form will be VR. Instead of selecting attacks you have to scream out their names from the bottom of your soul.

Edit: In Engrish, natch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

srw's final form will probably just be 3d models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I could see it being something like Guilty Gear Xrd in its final form, where they keep that heavy anime aesthetic but still have easy to use 3D models to play with.

• Locked thread