Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/IDxwnjm.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tinsley’s own drawing of Santa is nonplussed by his comic’s premise.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

I love this so much

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rodbeard posted:

Yeah, it was stupid of Rall to take pot shots on a dead guy but I never understood Ebert's insistence that Kane was an entertaining movie in and of itself rather than just a very important and influential tech demo. He honestly expected the average moviegooer to be blown away by just a surface level viewing be which was weird considering helping average movie watchers find something to watch was something he did for a living for 40 years. I would have agreed with rall's comic if it wasn't an obituary.

Yeah it still was a stupid trivial cheapshot and having a semi popular opinion doesnt make Rall smart or Ebert stupid.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Oh those pesky transgenders oppressing the establishment with their whole "wanting to be treated like humans" thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If all four candles are lit then it's already Christmas. A little late to start planning presents. Sounds more like she wants to get out of trouble for the presents she never bought.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

People in this thread have a strange obsession with candles.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Alhazred posted:

Zeldas unrealistic depiction of candles knows no bounds :argh:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard posted:

Yeah, it was stupid of Rall to take pot shots on a dead guy but I never understood Ebert's insistence that Kane was an entertaining movie in and of itself rather than just a very important and influential tech demo. He honestly expected the average moviegooer to be blown away by just a surface level viewing be which was weird considering helping average movie watchers find something to watch was something he did for a living for 40 years. I would have agreed with rall's comic if it wasn't an obituary.

Link to Ebert claiming that? Not that I don't trust you you understand, but if your only source is Pleb Ball than...

There is nothing wrong with thinking old movies are boring, honestly they're the building blocks of today's cinema and have been homaged, ripped off, parodied, and built on for decades, seeing the original AFTER seeing all the copies will diminish it. Unless, of course, you've only seen inferior copies, if you spend your life reading Dead Dull's comics and are, one day, exposed to your Bagley or your Kelley, your (insert personal fave here) they will look like manna from Heaven! But, even if you find it boring, you can't deny the cultural impact they had, and they would not have had that cultural impact if they were not absolute stand outs for their time. poo poo "Happy Death Day" ends with *spoiler* a character asking "Who's Bill Murray?"

Bottom line is that Klep Klop is a fantastic dullard who probably watches a lot of Transformers films while Googling Italian indie dramas to name drop in conversation, "Oh you liiiked LaLa Land did you? *chuckle* Well, I don't own a TV and I would have gone and seen it if "Durata Del Film Non Disponibile" hadn't been playing in my local cineMA *chuckle*."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

.Edward Penischin posted:

Who touched the poop?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nice

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If it weren't for the stubble, I would think this to be a toon about Clinton.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Alhazred posted:

YOU NO TAKE CANDLE!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ramirez is just an abysmal artist when it comes to caricatures.

If he can't cross-hatch the gently caress out of it, he can't do it.

Tinsley is a competent artist but a total loving garbage heap of a person.

He's a crooked jerky jockey, and he drives a crooked hoss.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yep he still has nfc what this "identify as" thing means.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep he still has nfc what this "identify as" thing means.

Of course he does. It's when you say you're something you're not. His friends Jack Daniels and Johnnie Walker told him all about it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

Of course he does. It's when you say you're something you're not. His friends Jack Daniels and Johnnie Walker told him all about it.

That's funny, he keeps telling me he isn't a lousy Drunk and a Cartoonist.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's literally the only interesting thing about that strip.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Kirschen posted:

The "Palestinian" problem is irrelevant, the war in Yemen is ignored by the media. What's really happening is the building of an alliance to stop the Iranian invasion of our region, and a free and independent Kurdistan should be part of that alliance.

Kirschen posted:

Have a Happy!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Katt posted:

If all four candles are lit then it's already Christmas. A little late to start planning presents. Sounds more like she wants to get out of trouble for the presents she never bought.

The candles aren't purple and are all the same length, indicating that these are just ordinary candles and thus cannot be counted on for reliably measuring Christmas proximity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tyblazitar posted:

The candles aren't purple and are all the same length, indicating that these are just ordinary candles and thus cannot be counted on for reliably measuring Christmas proximity.

Who the gently caress uses purple candles?

e: Not people in whatever country the Milquetoast Generic Nordic Comic Strip With Only Decades-Old Jokes #77 characters are supposed to be living in anyway.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

I'm trying and failing to understand Kirschen's beliefs beyond "Kill all Palestinians".

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Who the gently caress uses purple candles?

e: Not people in whatever country the Milquetoast Generic Nordic Comic Strip With Only Decades-Old Jokes #77 characters are supposed to be living in anyway.

I can't technically speak for Sweden, but at least in Norway advent candles are always purple. :shrug:

Google gives me overwhelmingly purple results as well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tyblazitar posted:

I can't technically speak for Sweden, but at least in Norway advent candles are always purple. :shrug:

Google gives me overwhelmingly purple results as well.

Those perverts :wth:

e: I searched for adventslys and got some purple but mostly white and some red and blue as well. Never seen purple in IRL life :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 14, 2017

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Alhazred posted:

Spend less on candles?

No.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_wreath posted:

In many Catholic and Protestant churches, the most popular colours for the four surrounding Advent candles are violet and rose, corresponding with the colors of the liturgical vestments for the Sundays of Advent. For denominations of the Western Christian Church, violet is the historic liturgical color for three of the four Sundays of Advent: Violet is the traditional color of penitential seasons.[16] Blue is also a popular alternative color for both Advent vestments and Advent candles, especially in some Anglican and Methodist churches,[16] which use a blue shade associated with the Sarum rite, in addition to Lutheran churches that also implement this practice. One interpretation holds that blue means hope and waiting, which aligns with the seasonal meaning of Advent. Rose is the liturgical color for the Third Sunday of Advent, known as Gaudete Sunday from the Latin word meaning "to rejoice"—also from the first line of the traditional entrance prayer (called the Introit) for the Mass or Worship Service of the third Sunday of Advent; it is a pause from the penitential spirit of Advent.[19][20] As such, the third candle, representing joy, is often a different color from the other three.[16][14]

In other Protestant churches, especially in the United Kingdom, it is more common for Advent wreaths to have four red candles (reflecting their traditional use in Christmas decorations).[21] The Advent wreath used by Pope Benedict XVI of the Catholic Church also had four red candles.[22]

Ok, so violet and not purple, but it's definitely not uncommon at least.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kirschen is a bloodthirsty, paranoid psychopath, and his comics are frequently the most worrisome in the thread to me. As bad as many of the others are, they rarely get outright genocidal the way he is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Horrible, disturbing opinions are a lot creepier when they are sold with cutesy art as Asay was a constant reminder of.

Starving Wolf
Apr 2, 2010

MUCH LATER
Yams Fan

Fittingly, unlike other cartoonists, Gorrell didn't bother with the entire song and just settled on one line.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Alhazred posted:

My webcomics thread is starving, please help

e:f;b

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Skellybones posted:

I'm trying and failing to understand Kirschen's beliefs beyond "Kill all Palestinians".

He believes in kurdish independence because he believes each group should have its own land and not live in his.*

*Palestinians excluded

Anyway, brb, going to beat off some Iranians.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Love that Gary McCoy Facebook post. Granted, I could strike them down with my biting McCoy Wit®, but somehow that never seems to work.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I was linked to an article about the fall of Dilbert and Scott Adams’s weird politics. Ben Garrison makes a cameo. https://www.theawl.com/2017/12/dilbert-a-reckoning/

Starving Wolf posted:

Fittingly, unlike other cartoonists, Gorrell didn't bother with the entire song and just settled on one line.

And got the line wrong, though he’s hardly alone in that.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 14, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did Gorrell of all people hit on a "Moore" pun that nobody else had used yet?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Skellybones posted:

What's beyond is simply "and also kill all Iranians, and the Lebanese, and the Syrians, and and and...".

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Skellybones posted:

"Also, support the Saudis because they're the good kind of Muslims - you know, the sort that ruthlessly oppresses other Muslims."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

My webcomics thread is starving, please help

e:f;b

It's a syndicated strip though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hmm maybe, as a Jewish person, saying things like “The (ethnic group) problem” should make you reconsider your stances

• Locked thread