Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

Crazy. Maybe they should put some of the cell phone cash into plumbing infrastructure.

Lemme know when they invent wireless shitters and you’ll see their plumping problem get solved real fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How long after teleportation is invented until someone sends an anonymous turd to their ex do you reckon?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

cakesmith handyman posted:

How long after teleportation is invented until someone sends an anonymous turd to their ex do you reckon?

As long as it takes to pinch a loaf into the drat thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

starkebn posted:

Please don't do any wiring in your own homes, just don't. I don't know if it's different in the good ol' "Land of the Free" but it's illegal in Australia for good reasons

People in North America seem to do their own wiring all the time based on what I've seen.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

As long as it takes to pinch a loaf into the drat thing.

I think someone will stuck their dick in the teleporter first before we get to insta-poo poo, but it won't be far behind.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
TeleCrapping will become a fad, along the line of fidget spinners, for about 3 months.
They'll be doing tricks with it.

Re: Toilet Chat.
I can imagine it's hard to upgrade infrastructure when most citizens fall into the 'barely subsisting/slowly starving' tax bracket.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 14, 2017

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Banana Republican posted:

What sort of magical utopia do you live in where you can flush tampons and do you have jetpacks?

Apparently everywhere I've ever lived in the US cause I've never seen a used tampon in the garbage can. This is with both septic and main sewer, and a mom and a sister. I'm a guy though so it's not like I've seen the inside of a ladies' bathroom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who looks that closely at other people’s trash?

I’ve lived with people that commented on the things I threw out the day before, and it’s weird.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cell phones are kind of an oddity in that they haven't really followed the usual technological progression, where you need years of extensive infrastructure development to support mass adoption. Electrification, for instance, is quite slow and expensive, because you have to run cables all over the place, and you can't really get around how high power components are big and heavy and use lots of metal. Landline telephones, central plumbing, asphalt roads, etc. were all slow to adopt for similar reasons, and continue to be sporadically available in much of the world.

Mobile phones, though -- all you need to do is stick up one cheap prefab tower and an electrical connection, or even a diesel generator, and you've granted a connection to anyone within a few miles. It's amazingly cheap to build out, and the phones themselves get smaller and cheaper every day. The majority of the developing world now has skipped right over landline phones because the slightly higher cost of a handset (vs a wired phone) is far outweighed by the cheaper and easier infrastructure.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And they do everything with the mobile phone once they have it. Even before smartphones were a thing there were entire banking infrastructures running on SMS messages.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
So a supervisor at my work has decided to save time and money by skipping the whole "test" component of the test and tag regime. In Australia electrical items in a workplace must be inspected, tested and tagged as compliant with AS/NZS 3760.

The gear we use gets knocked around a bit so it's quite likely there's a few problems to be found here and there. We've got at least 5 employees who are trained and qualified to inspect and test electrical equipment so of course the supervisor has organised for two unskilled casual workers to perform all the "testing". During this process the shelf full of known faulty electrical items that were supposed to be repaired at some point has magically been cleared.

It's been a while since I've been electrocuted but I recall it being rather unpleasant and I'm not looking forward to this new way of doing things but :capitalism:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You've never been electrocuted. You've been shocked, but if you are electrocuted then you cannot post :ghost:

Virar
Jul 21, 2007
This space is blank.

The Sausages posted:

So a supervisor at my work has decided to save time and money by skipping the whole "test" component of the test and tag regime. In Australia electrical items in a workplace must be inspected, tested and tagged as compliant with AS/NZS 3760.

My employer once had a contractor in testing and tagging a factory shed full of stuff. He walked to each item with a pen and some tags. Testing seemed to consist of "does it have a cord I can put a sticker on". He was skilled enough to put a tag right next to the electrical tape covering the damage on a 3 phase power cord.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Zil posted:

I think someone will stuck their dick in the teleporter first before we get to insta-poo poo, but it won't be far behind.
And women think unsolicited dick pics are bad now.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Nocheez posted:

You've never been electrocuted. You've been shocked, but if you are electrocuted then you cannot post :ghost:

Electrocuted can mean to be injured or killed by electric shock. It doesn't exclusively refer to shocks causing death.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Electrocuted can mean to be injured or killed by electric shock. It doesn't exclusively refer to shocks causing death.

Actually it does, because it's a portmanteau of "electric" and "execution".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dictionaries are for when you see or hear someone a word and you’re wondering “the gently caress do they mean?”

You really shouldn’t use “inflammable” to mean “cannot catch on fire”, but you should be aware that other people sometimes do use it that way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Dictionary includes "injury" in the definition.

I do recall when it meant death only, but blah blah Language Evolves™ blah blah.

I lost the "irregardless" war, so frankly I've just given up at being a prescriptivist in regards to vocabulary.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

chitoryu12 posted:

Right, because English language follows rules and structure so loving god-damned well.

Dictionary definition says "injured or killed," root doesn't matter. Don't make me pull up lists of words where the root doesn't match the definition.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

more people in india have access to cell service than indoor plumbing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Makes sense it's much more satisfying to spew poo poo across the internet than down a hole of running water.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
"Yeah that has been hit with a forklift... but anyways, this is what I wanted to show you, the death room"

https://youtu.be/SzzhtvXg-D4

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

cyberbug posted:

"Yeah that has been hit with a forklift... but anyways, this is what I wanted to show you, the death room"

https://youtu.be/SzzhtvXg-D4

I couldn’t really see poo poo in the video but yeah it’s an industrial building so 12kV to an electrical room is not uncommon. Probably had a big 12000V delta to 480/277V grounded wye transformer somewhere like a unit substation system.

As for the fuse replacement goes you can do it with the main power pulled and the disconnect switch opened (there’s always a switch before the fuses). For high voltage work I would open up the disconnect and then might want to add heavy grounding clamps on the switch line side so if the power company switched back by accident it would go into a bolted fault and trip the equipment on their side (phase-phase-ground fault). Plus equipment that’s insulated for 15kV, gloves and rubber matting, and also tools that let you keep your distance.

Depending on the power system, while the shock hazard is the highest on the 12kV side, depending on the configuration the arc flash could be worse on the 480V side.

If you had a large plant like a steel mill or a refinery you might even have substations and electrical rooms with 35kV.

EDIT:
https://youtu.be/z1ExBhIQ98I

“That’s 12,000 volts. That will kill you and you’ll hurt the whole time you’re dying.”

And dude just rent a megger and check the little transformer’s windings.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 15, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
People who say electrocuted when they merely mean shocked should be electrocuted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sandoz posted:

more people in india have access to cell service than indoor plumbing

For an individual human, a cell phone provides a lot more benefit than a toilet. Communication, banking, news, photography, all sorts of valuable services that really improve one's life. On the other hand, people are pretty well equipped to handle making GBS threads without any additional technology.

From a public health perspective, well, that's a different story.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GotLag posted:

People who say electrocuted when they merely mean shocked should be electrocuted.

I'm shocked you would say that!

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

chitoryu12 posted:

maybe I was talking about a past life :colbert:

seriously though gently caress using English properly always ever

I hope you decide to google "Non-fatal electrocution" and suffer a grammar aneurysm.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://youtu.be/C_AmdvxbPT8?t=84

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

Would you say you have a problem with electrolocution?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Allow styropyro to describe how his ruby laser's power supply could electrocute you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwYuHqCwXFI&t=24s

It might sound like when he fires up the ignition coil at around 1:44, but of course it's just allowing the laser to be powered from the capacitor bank!

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 15, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Sausages posted:

maybe I was talking about a past life :colbert:

seriously though gently caress using English properly always ever

I hope you decide to google "Non-fatal electrocution" and suffer a grammar aneurysm.

A grammeurysm?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Lamest derail ever...

This is my favorite almost-got-mangled-because-I'm-stupid GIF:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's he doing? Trying to prove that he's strong by trying to stall the lathe motor?

Sorry buddy, no matter how strong you are that's not a fight you're going to win.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
almost a shame he didn't die tbh. I wouldn't want to work with that guy

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Blast of Confetti posted:

almost a shame he didn't die tbh. I wouldn't want to work with that guy

Just leaving the key in the chuck was a one time firing offence at most of the shops I've worked at. I watch this semi-regularly to remind myself not to get complacence.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

GotLag posted:

I have a bachelors in professional communications, with a focus on editing. That means I am qualified to tell you that you are incorrect, and using the word in non-fatal circumstances is correct, and preferred to shocked as shock has multiple usages that don't involve electricity (medical and emotional states). This means electrocuted is a term with greater clarity of meaning for incidents involving electricity.

Get rektd.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/aDiROH4.mp4

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
shoes are still on, he's fine

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Takedown! Two points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I've never seen a man suplexed by a truck before.