Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

His face smooshed up against the bars, snot running from his nose. :allears:

Did you keep the Jolly Rancher red? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

wyoming posted:

Better question, is the peach tea label still in color?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wyoming posted:

The way his face is smooshed up resembles Batman’s cowl.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

wyoming posted:

Sorry to say I don't really have the means at my disposal for an effect that subtle.

Gatts posted:

Some of those shots remind me of a 50s type sci fi movie.

Beavis is full of great Amazing Tales style sci-fi hockum, unfortunately a lot of it gets written off as plugging the franchise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jimbot posted:

they think CD are full of people who have their head up their rear end when discussing films and their meaning

They're not wrong.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's very up your own rear end to actually remember scenes about movies and not literally make poo poo up about what happens in them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

"Guys, that family at the end of Man of Steel gets burnt to a crisp, that's why Clark is yelling." Does that guy post in the Internet Critic thread in RGD?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Clark's super senses are kicking in at that point, and he can't help but yell at how delicious the crispy family smells.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I've been away from the thread for a few days and come back to six pages crying about Man of Steel. My dudes that movie came out in 2013 and the general public remembers it about as well as the Hulk films let it go. It's probably not even going to be canon after the Flashpoint movie.

I mean Tomorrow Disney is going to buy the X-Men franchise and they are going to revive it into a powerhouse brand like they did with their own Internal animation division, Marvel, and Star Wars. X-Men is going to be RELEVANT again. No more beating around the bush and pushing Inhumans in everyones face. I dunno about you folks but I would would much rather talk about and admire the beauty of free market capitalism than talk about what Superman does to appeal hip and cool with the kids.

Top Gun fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 14, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Apocalypse didn't do well but you do realize X-Men is still one of the most recognizable franchises in the world right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That sound you hear faintly in the distance is Disney executives rolling up to Hugh Jackman's house with a dump truck full of 24 karat gold bricks.

Also, the dump truck itself is gold plated. Every last piece.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Gonz posted:

That sound you hear faintly in the distance is Disney executives rolling up to Hugh Jackman's house with a dump truck full of 24 karat gold bricks.

Also, the dump truck itself is gold plated. Every last piece.

You think Hugh Jackman is getting the Harrison Ford treatment?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Top Gun posted:

I've been away from the thread for a few days and come back to six pages crying about Man of Steel. My dudes that movie came out in 2013 and the general public remembers it about as well as the Hulk films let it go. It's probably not even going to be canon after the Flashpoint movie.

I mean Tomorrow Disney is going to buy the X-Men franchise and they are going to revive it into a powerhouse brand like they did with their own Internal animation division, Marvel, and Star Wars. X-Men is going to be RELEVANT again. No more beating around the bush and pushing Inhumans in everyones face.

Logan made a shitload of money this year. Deadpool was huge. The X-Men franchise is already still relevant.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Top Gun posted:

In light of this news, I honestly don't see how they can't entice him to come back for, at the bare minimum, one more turn as Wolverine. If only for Avengers 4.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Top Gun posted:

What showing up in one last movie as a depressed old man version of his most iconic role and then dying?

I think they already did that

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Top Gun posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk is dope.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also who gives a poo poo what Man of Steel is canon to

It's a good stand alone movie

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think Hugh Jackman is coming back. Same reason they didn't bring back Tobey Maguire as Spidey and whats his face as J Jonah Jameson. There going to want to start fresh so that A)It avoids brand confusion so people don't start picking up lovely X-Men films thinking they are canon with the MCU and B) So that they can draw up new contracts for new actors that will be multi-film multi-year contracts. There going to want to hold on to the new cast for at least a decade.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Burkion posted:

Also who gives a poo poo what Man of Steel is canon to

It's a good stand alone movie

There is no timeline where Man of Steel is considered a good film

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean let's be super honest here

They just haven't brought back J Jonah Jameson back. Like, they had the perfect actor for the role, they know they did, they know they cannot top it there is no surpassing what was there

So they aren't even trying to. The character is gone. He is retired. They did it perfect in one shot and they are never doing it again.

It was the most beautiful casting in any movie in the history of the world and they got it 100% right and now no one dares to try again.

Top Gun posted:

There is no timeline where Man of Steel is considered a good film

Considering that I do consider it a good film, clearly there is one

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Top Gun posted:

I mean Tomorrow Disney is going to buy the X-Men franchise and they are going to revive it into a powerhouse brand like they did with their own Internal animation division, Marvel, and Star Wars. X-Men is going to be RELEVANT again. No more beating around the bush and pushing Inhumans in everyones face. I dunno about you folks but I would would much rather talk about and admire the beauty of free market capitalism than talk about what Superman does to appeal hip and cool with the kids.

Disney buying Fox is incredibly awful, I don't really give a poo poo if it means Wolverine can be in Avengers.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Burkion posted:

I mean let's be super honest here

They just haven't brought back J Jonah Jameson back. Like, they had the perfect actor for the role, they know they did, they know they cannot top it there is no surpassing what was there

So they aren't even trying to. The character is gone. He is retired. They did it perfect in one shot and they are never doing it again.

It was the most beautiful casting in any movie in the history of the world and they got it 100% right and now no one dares to try again.

Honestly, I’ve never seen Simmons in a role where he doesn’t fit like a glove. His JJJ was drat good though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Other than "I believe you", does BvS Batman ever quote any other lines from Dark Knight Returns? I'm curious because he definitely has the Miller aesthetic and fights Superman but it's in a very different context, IMO.

Not Batman, but Alfred does have his crack about Bruce becoming a wino.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

GonSmithe posted:

Disney buying Fox is incredibly awful, I don't really give a poo poo if it means Wolverine can be in Avengers.

It also means:
-the Alien and Predator franchises can be relaunched properly (Possibly within the Star Wars Universe this time?)
-Avatar Land in Walt Disney World can now be expanded as Fox is the distributor and production partner of James Cameron
-The entire X-Men Universe and Fantastic Four can be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and can now be used in theme parks (except Orlando)
-Murdoch will be able to finance Fox News for the next few decades and rebuild them back into a conservative powerhouse that can take on Breitbart
-Home Alone, Cocoon, Independence Day and Die Hard can all be relaunched
-Disney will own Hulu
-Family Guy, Simpsons, and King of the Hill are now part of the Walt Disney Company

These are just off the top of my head. It's a win win win for everyone

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Top Gun posted:

-Murdoch will be able to finance Fox News for the next few decades and rebuild them back into a conservative powerhouse that can take on Breitbart

It's a win win win for everyone

Whoever wins, we lose

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Whoever wins, we lose

I just saw this on another site and its getting me so excited:

quote:

The deal is almost approved. Disney will buy Fox. Which means we can have an Avengers and X-men crossover movie that also features Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom where we discover the Brood are actually related to Ridley Scotts Alien Xenomorph, and where they also discover the existence of the Predator, leading to a Wolverine vs. Predator movie. Meanwhile Mulder and Scully realize everything they chased over the years has been beyond even Mulders wildest cases in the X-Files leading him to become an Agent of SHIELD in charge of their paranormal investigations unit. This all leads to the historic movie mega event where the Marvel Cinematic universe intersects with the Star Wars universe. Darth Vader is brought back to life with an Infinity Stone. Unfortunately so is Emperor Palpatine who subjugates the Predators species, and uses the Alien Xenomorphs as a bio weapons to destroy alliance planets, leading to epic showdowns of Jedi and Marvel heroes fighting Aliens Xenomorphs, Predators, Marvel villains, and sith lords. Everyone shits their collective pants when a Super star destroyer in orbit is eclipsed by the arrival of Galactus. Also, The Simpsons become a Pixar film.
Yes, this is all possible thanks to Disney buying Fox.

#Capitalism

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Top Gun posted:

It also means:
-the Alien and Predator franchises can be relaunched properly (Possibly within the Star Wars Universe this time?)
-Avatar Land in Walt Disney World can now be expanded as Fox is the distributor and production partner of James Cameron
-The entire X-Men Universe and Fantastic Four can be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and can now be used in theme parks (except Orlando)
-Home Alone, Cocoon, Independence Day and Die Hard can all be relaunched
-Disney will own Hulu
-Family Guy, Simpsons, and King of the Hill are now part of the Walt Disney Company

These are just off the top of my head. It's a win win win for everyone

Hopefully :thejoke: but that all repulses me

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

dont even fink about it posted:

The TDKR cartoon is basically BVS but actually good, so of course it is hated here.

That's funny because as an adaptation of a specific work, it takes every safe option instead of a provocative or even interesting one to keep with the spirit of the original work, just like the Killing Joke adaptation didn't. It's a technically accomplished work, everyone's especially correct about Peter Weller's casting, but completely bereft of artistic boldness or ambition.

K. Waste posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk is dope.

My man.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

got any sevens posted:

Hopefully :thejoke: but that all repulses me

I was serious

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Oh, I get it. You’re Ernest Cline.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

That's funny because as an adaptation of a specific work, it takes every safe option instead of a provocative or even interesting one to keep with the spirit of the original work, just like the Killing Joke adaptation didn't. It's a technically accomplished work, everyone's especially correct about Peter Weller's casting, but completely bereft of artistic boldness or ambition.

The TDKR adaptation is technically great and faithful to the source material with inspired casting, and it's bad.

*huffs more fart*

It's just like The Killing Joke, which tacked an entirely new (and horribly received) sequence onto the front of itself and otherwise hits the wrong note at every turn, so much so that that it leaves you wondering if The Killing Joke was only good before you heard the characters say the dialogue out loud.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just let Ridley Scott make one last awesome Alien film please. That's all I ask.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Just let Ridley Scott make one last awesome Alien film please. That's all I ask.

We already have awesome alien films.I want to see more Fassbender going crazy and murdering people.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Ridleys plan for the Alien franchise is to focus on AI is the big threat and main story and less aliens. He’s been talking this up in interviews. After Covenant he should be fired from the franchise. It needs a completely new direction and relaunch.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Top Gun posted:

Ridleys plan for the Alien franchise is to focus on AI is the big threat and main story and less aliens. He’s been talking this up in interviews. After Covenant he should be fired from the franchise. It needs a completely new direction and relaunch.

Yes, with the Avengers and the Empire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The All-Star Superman film is where I gave up on DC's animated features. Charmless sack of poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

hump day bitches! posted:

We already have awesome alien films.I want to see more Fassbender going crazy and murdering people.

:hai:

David killing Gods is good and cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

David is part of the Alien series just as much as Ripley imo.

Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017
It’s a shame Cameron is stretched so thin between Alita, relaunching Terminator and his 10 Avatar sequels. I would have loved for him to map out a new series and direction for the Alien franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

josh04 posted:

There's no shot of the family escaping because it would serve to excuse Superman's decision, that he had to kill Zod because of his singular moral duty to this family, to save them. But - as is often noted in this thread - he chooses to kill Zod, and the camera lingers on his horror at having done so. We can say that this was the moral choice, but again - as is often brought up - it's easy to imagine an alternate universe where Superman otherwise incapacitates Zod, sends him to the phantom zone, some other palliative instead of taking decisive action. (The usual objection to this is that it would be less dramatically satisfying, which is true, but that isn't relevant when we're talking about the morality of Superman killing Zod)

I'd recommend Existentialism is a Humanism generally. It's an excellent essay/talk, even if existentialism has fallen out of favour in recent years.

I'm having trouble seeing how Snyder's Superman is existentialist, but I fully admit to finding that philosophy largely uncompelling.

• Locked thread