Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can probably go into debt to get your ships back, just like you can now if you can't afford the rebuy.

I think you guys have all been Space Trumps too long, you forgot about Pilot's Fed loans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm about 10,000ly from the bubble, slowly making my way to Colonia for the first time, while seeing the sights. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now, never been this far away.

Strangely enough, I'm actually enjoying myself playing it like this. Just cruising around to do some sightseeing and taking pictures. This is the only part of the game I find enjoyable.

Yet, I'm glad I brought my SRV. If I had been doing this without the ability to land on planets to do barrel rolls and loop-de-loops in my little rover, this would have become very boring, I think. Besides, I need to land on planets to mine supplies for repairs and stuff.

I think there should be some kind of survival mode where you need to mine icy rings for water so you can take showers during long trips. Also a way to make food somehow. Because my immersion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

You can probably go into debt to get your ships back, just like you can now if you can't afford the rebuy.

I think you guys have all been Space Trumps too long, you forgot about Pilot's Fed loans!

poo poo, I forgot about loans, too!

Too bad, this means this will work perfectly well, probably. :v:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

John F Bennett posted:

I'm about 10,000ly from the bubble, slowly making my way to Colonia for the first time, while seeing the sights. I've been doing this for about 2 weeks now, never been this far away.

Strangely enough, I'm actually enjoying myself playing it like this. Just cruising around to do some sightseeing and taking pictures. This is the only part of the game I find enjoyable.

Yet, I'm glad I brought my SRV. If I had been doing this without the ability to land on planets to do barrel rolls and loop-de-loops in my little rover, this would have become very boring, I think. Besides, I need to land on planets to mine supplies for repairs and stuff.

I think there should be some kind of survival mode where you need to mine icy rings for water so you can take showers during long trips. Also a way to make food somehow. Because my immersion.

Don't tell Frontier. Last time we complained to them about immersion, SRVs started running on gun powder and we had to wait AND pay for ship transfers.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was out in the black during 2.4’s launch and didn’t notice the new search and rescue thing until I got to Colonia.

What a great idea that they absolutely made totally useless by offering no credits. I was reminded of this again reading about it on the subreddit today.

Can anyone, just for kicks, even offer a theory as to why they keep making these choices? Who thought that like 3k reward per escape pod is even remotely appropriate from a mechanics or lore perspective? Look I’m all for the “just play to have fun” sort of style of play but I can’t avoid the grind and gold rush exploits when frontier shits all over every “just having fun” activity by making it suck so boldly in comparison to even other, non-exploit money making.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I play this game too much.

Here is a selfie of me in my spaceship,The Red Herring.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I was out in the black during 2.4’s launch and didn’t notice the new search and rescue thing until I got to Colonia.

What a great idea that they absolutely made totally useless by offering no credits. I was reminded of this again reading about it on the subreddit today.

Can anyone, just for kicks, even offer a theory as to why they keep making these choices? Who thought that like 3k reward per escape pod is even remotely appropriate from a mechanics or lore perspective? Look I’m all for the “just play to have fun” sort of style of play but I can’t avoid the grind and gold rush exploits when frontier shits all over every “just having fun” activity by making it suck so boldly in comparison to even other, non-exploit money making.

Because FDev's gameplay designers don't know the difference between grind and content. Every single issue ties back to that. While the QoL plans for 2018 are probably an improvement, it still shows the telltale "grind is content" mindset.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 13, 2017

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

John F Bennett posted:

The star citizen reddit is what you're looking for.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why are you trying to justify your desire for more fake space :10bux: faster by lashing out at FDev?

Maybe you don't "get it"* and you never will.

I spent over an hour just playing with FA off and an anchored third person camera a couple weeks ago.

Dabir posted:

Source you're quotes

*scare quotes

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 13, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Source you're quotes

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Dabir posted:

Source you're quotes

Was just about to say that

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sauce you're quotas :downs:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

They had programmers talented enough to create the base procgen galaxy engine for the game, but not talented enough to design that engine in such a way that it's easy to add gameplay to the galaxy e.g. interesting missions. They literally have not come up with one interesting mission in terms of gameplay yet. There has to be something technical preventing them from doing this, and I'm pretty sure I've heard Sandro or someone say something to the effect that designing interesting missions is all well and good but designing them in such a way that they can actually be implemented in the universe is really hard.

Then again just as likely is that they are loving retarded.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

El Grillo posted:

They had programmers talented enough to create the base procgen galaxy engine for the game, but not talented enough to design that engine in such a way that it's easy to add gameplay to the galaxy e.g. interesting missions. They literally have not come up with one interesting mission in terms of gameplay yet. There has to be something technical preventing them from doing this, and I'm pretty sure I've heard Sandro or someone say something to the effect that designing interesting missions is all well and good but designing them in such a way that they can actually be implemented in the universe is really hard.

Part of the problem is that everything is session based and any FSD transition is a new session.

If you drop into a USS the system you were in stops existing. When you jump back out a new system is created.

This is because they want Peer to Peer. So as soon as there is no peer in an area that area stops existing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Schrodinger's fun

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xae posted:

Part of the problem is that everything is session based and any FSD transition is a new session.

If you drop into a USS the system you were in stops existing. When you jump back out a new system is created.

This is because they want Peer to Peer. So as soon as there is no peer in an area that area stops existing.

So?

Why are you nit picking at technical implementation details that have no impact on a naďve participant in the game experience?

El Grillo posted:

. They literally have not come up with one interesting mission in terms of gameplay yet.

Which ones have you tried?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

peter gabriel posted:

Schrodinger's fun

:golfclap:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

osirisisdead posted:

So?

Why are you nit picking at technical implementation details that have no impact on a naďve participant in the game experience?

Which ones have you tried?

deep takes from a thread regular :allears:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
where the fuk do I go now?

what am I doing?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

osirisisdead posted:

where the fuk do I go now?

what am I doing?

This, but in a more meta sense about Elite.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Get some Hammers, slap super penetrator :wiggle: on them, pop some reactors. They kind of rule.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

When does the base building dlc come out.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

This, but in a more meta sense about Elite.

That is the general tone of the Elite rabbithole.

The Protagonist posted:

Get some Hammers, slap super penetrator :wiggle: on them, pop some reactors. They kind of rule.

Idk if those would be an improvement on my plasma slug. They are nice because I can shoot them for free an infinite number of times. Those seem like they would chew through ammo.

edit: Also, I'm a Sirius man. Dog star crew for life.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ok

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

John F Bennett posted:

When does the base building dlc come out.

When they completely gut the entire tin can and string system running the game and put a proper client/server mmo architecture and dedicated servers into the game.
So like never.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreadwroth posted:

When they completely gut the entire tin can and string system running the game and put a proper client/server mmo architecture and dedicated servers into the game.
So like never.

Where did the Kickstarter hurt you?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

osirisisdead posted:

I play this game too much.

Here is a selfie of me in my spaceship,The Red Herring.

This is amazing. He looks like he hates every second of it but just resigned to sitting at this chair at stare at the sun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sekenr posted:

This is amazing. He looks like he hates every second of it but just resigned to sitting at this chair at stare at the sun.

I feel like Kate Beaton could illustrate this.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

Diamond frogs discord makes better missions than fdev

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^^yes, although as mentioned, that ain't difficult.
Hopefully at some point soon I'll get to come join again now that we can use discord from inside VR!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

What are some examples of Diamond Frogs missions? Is there an offline component as well?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny, but now that I had some time to extensively play Elite on PS4, I think I'm now as fast in selecting stuff in the galaxy map with my controller, than I am on PC when using my mouse.

Though I'm not sure If that's Frontier just being good at making the controls, or my childhood's video game reflexes kicking in. :v:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The controls are very good on the PS4. Really nice that you can customize everything.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:frogsiren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/7jqg5p/so_the_thargoids_attacked_a_station_images/?sort=old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-T6VFGzdK4

Rah! fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 14, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Trust FDev to make it require loving standing with the factions in the station WHEN ITS loving ON FIRE AND BITS ARE MISSING

Sorry we dont want to be rescued by you we dont like you

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol :frontear:

they should make it so that refugees will board any ship that has a cargo bay. why would they give a poo poo who rescues them

but the sound design and atmosphere are amazing as always, and it's nice to see some new stuff in the game. I hope we eventually get this kind of thing with systems that are in a non-thargoid state of war, or civil unrest or famine or whatever, and maybe even see the occasional abandoned/destroyed station. Maybe have some abandoned ones eventually get settled by crazy space squatter cannibals and pirates and whatnot...imagine exploring something like that with space legs, in 50 years

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Do you want to know what's even worse then :frontear: sometimes? loving Sony.

I can use PayPal and my creditcard all over the world to pay for dumb poo poo, but my PSN-account steadfastly refuses to accept them. And the dumbass support guy then tries to tell me the reason for my creditcard getting rejected is a fancy lock out implemented by my bank secretly and only for PSN. Because apparently my bank hates Sony???

But don't worry guys, my account tells me I successfully put money into it in 2041, so I guess all those problems will just work themselves out in the end?! :shepface:

And here I was and thought Frontier's dumb point system was dumb as poo poo already, but nope, the rabbit hole goes deeper still. Now I have to go out and buy a PSN-card, just because I wanted a new paintjob for 4 loving bucks.

What is happening with Sony? On Steam I can buy stuff with like one click all day long, just Sony apparently really hates getting money from people...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Scarecow posted:

Trust FDev to make it require loving standing with the factions in the station WHEN ITS loving ON FIRE AND BITS ARE MISSING

Sorry we dont want to be rescued by you we dont like you
It's only a bug according to comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

What is happening with Sony? On Steam I can buy stuff with like one click all day long, just Sony apparently really hates getting money from people...

Well there was that time a few years back when PSN got hacked and someone (probably) stole their credit card database. I imagine that's why your bank's a bit antsy about them, especially if you don't make regular purchases.

• Locked thread