Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Expect My Mom posted:

this is the rational person's take, but im a crazy person and like try to organize my list and like articulate my thoughts on why i liked some games over others

all the games are good tho and it's cool if you like hollow knight over persona 5 or w/e

lol i mistyped bad, no yeah i think nier might be better than mario
https://twitter.com/packbenpack/status/929758065909362689?lang=en
https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/938635562008829952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
my last post sounded super sarcastic, but it wasn't, i totally get why people don't care about their own list, i just do it cause i find it fun

the arc of nobody talking about nier to now nier will prob be in top 5 has been rad

elf help book posted:

Even if you don't pick a GOTY yourself, you'll have an internal list of GOTY selections you'll understand, and a list you'll think people would be idiots to choose.
ah yeah this is true, if someone says assassin's creed is their goty, then well i don't feel you played a lot of games this year

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yeah I have my own personal brain list tho I dont think ive even beaten ten games this year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my game of the year is probably splatoon 2 but rationally also its just splatoon 1 on the switch.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zelda was the only game I’ve played in years that made me feel like an 8 year old again. The games systems and mechanics are simple, but the way they all interact with each other is incredibly complex and detailed. I could spend an hour talking about all the different ways fire reacts with things. It also doesn’t hold your hand, and has enough respect for you to figure things out through experimentation and exploration

It’s the best open world game of all time and my goty

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's going to be top 3 if not the drat GOTY itself. Just accept it and move on. At least they aren't Waypoint, discussing the intricacies of making a different map and how Balanced and Different it must be and what That Literally Means as a Player.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I like the Waypoint dudes and dudettes but a lot of their short pieces are under-developed clickbait, and they make the site feel more like a blog than a ~serious gaming criticism repository~

That Prey headline could easily be works-hopped into an Onion op-ed

Also I don't like Patrick's voice when he talks loud.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Maybe they'll make Cuphead GOTY

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
nier a was good but the first nier was better and zeldas the best game this year and ranking video games is dumb and i just want to hear a lot of talking about video games

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

PUBG also beautifully demonstrated how many people are willing to pay for a mod, so enjoy the Games as a Service hellfuture. I shan't be participating.

I think this is a little much, i don't think the genre should be inherently dismissed for having a bunch of mods anymore than dismissing genres based on like RPG Maker or f2p shooters or Final Fantasy phone ports or whatever. I understand how the game wouldn't appeal to people and I won't defend Early Access AIDS, but it's a fun game and I'm ok if people decide playing a fun game for a million hours makes it their game of the year.

Nobody playing Persona 5 tho...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Zelda was boring as hell and doesn’t belong in the top 5.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Zelda was boring as hell and doesn’t belong in the top 5.

everyone look at this guys post history in this thread

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
lmao

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

trying to jack off posted:

hahah

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The ballsmash version just has extra mechanics on the bosses.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lmao

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

absolutely anything posted:

nier a was good but the first nier was better and zeldas the best game this year and ranking video games is dumb and i just want to hear a lot of talking about video games

i can't wait to get mad listening to it. im going to get real mad and angry listening to the 40 year olds rank their dumbass games.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

dream daddy number 10. gently caress yes. Tiny mention of P5 by Ben. "It was good but long." Mmmm hell yes. Drinking my own tears

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

dream daddy number 10. gently caress yes. Tiny mention of P5 by Ben. "It was good but long." Mmmm hell yes. Drinking my own tears

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dream daddy number 10. gently caress yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqwuksvDFAQ

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcn-lTYtfgo
caution: doesn't actually contain any star war spoiers

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Rick and Morty: Virtual Rickality, you are Giant Bomb’s Game of the Year 2017. Congrats to the fine folks at Owlchemy Labs. Alright folks, that’s a wrap!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i can’t believe pickle rick won character of the year

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GOTY 2011, Best Story: Brad calls Skyward Sword "self-indulgent wankery of the highest magnitude". Now discussing the merits of Killzone 3. I love this website

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's so dumb and i should just not care, but every time they say like "I Hear Persona Fans Don't Like Persona 5" all my muscles tense

In Training posted:

GOTY 2011, Best Story: Brad calls Skyward Sword "self-indulgent wankery of the highest magnitude". Now discussing the merits of Killzone 3. I love this website
i can hear him saying it in my head perfectly and ive never even listened to it, amazing

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i have the subscription to this drat site and theres no way in hell im listening to the goty debates lmfao. i will read all of the lists and guest lists though, and then ill probably end up listening to the poo poo because after reading the bogus choices I will have no choice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i havent started zelda yet, im gonna listen to all 26 hours of goty debate while playing it and i hope to be pissed they didnt pick zelda as goty by the end

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'll listen to it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love their GOTY stuff and don't really mind what the lists are. The process is funny

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

GOTY is my favorite gb stuff

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

I love their GOTY stuff and don't really mind what the lists are. The process is funny

agreed

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
What date do they usually start the GOTY discussions? Is it its own thing or does it pop up on their giant bombcast subscription?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

IdealFlaws posted:

What date do they usually start the GOTY discussions? Is it its own thing or does it pop up on their giant bombcast subscription?
Christmas I think, or the day after

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

iirc the deliberations always go up on the normal bombcast feed

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I might just watch the wolfenstein cutscenes on YouTube or something, I'm not buying that game at full price but I feel like a couple categories will spoil it if I don't skip them outright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

HolePisser1982 posted:

iirc the deliberations always go up on the normal bombcast feed

yea they'll be up there sometime next week

Tender Bender posted:

I might just watch the wolfenstein cutscenes on YouTube or something, I'm not buying that game at full price but I feel like a couple categories will spoil it if I don't skip them outright

I think it was already like 20 bucks on the last steam sale and it's worth it for 20 bucks imo, there were like 5 twists & moments in that story I legit did not expect and enjoyed