Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SIGSEGV posted:

For a filler battle it had some pretty good barbas in it.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tithin posted:

Don't make me kick out another update tonight I've done like six in a week

Please don't overwork yourself

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
For all the faults of the original translation, Mirdyn said he'd make Barbas too ugly for the bitches in hell in that one. That's not even getting into all the times people call Catiua a bitch right to her face.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

These people hate each other. How refreshing! Normally in video games sworn enemies are like "I will defeat you!" and that's it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo piss that fight was Chirp City

My only regret in life is that I have no way to play Tactics Ogre (or replay ogre battle) on the systems I have. (PS4, Switch, DS)

I have always wanted to play TO :/

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm surprised the generics in Speedbump One didn't notice or comment on Ozma not being dead - or more to the point, there to fight them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

quote:

Ozma, are you going to say anything to that? No?
Ok then.

e:^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, what he said

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
The Barbas fight is one of my favourites in any SRPG ever just because of all the ice burns being thrown around. It may not be complex or challenging (usually) but drat if it isn't memorable.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It's not really shown well in the screenshots, (not a knock; I think it's just tough to do via screenshot) but Barbas accidentally shoots and kills one of his own men when he's loving around showing off his gun.

Then he decides it's too dangerous and gives it to a Dark Knight to hold. That Dark Knight needs to die in the battle so he can drop the gun for you to use. It's (at least in the original) one of three guns in the whole game.

and it loving sucks and is worthless

I assume if the gun is gettable in the remake that Tithin got it. Hell, it's probably necessary to open up the gun-related content in the game for all I know.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the gun is now craftable in the remake, but this is your first chance to get a fusil, though no class can use it yet. you still get access to them if you don't grab it.

they're still not great because they are extremely heavy and if i remember right, also don't have any elemental variants so they don't get that extra damage.

its a shame because i think old rear end fusils are rad as hell, so i'm inclined to use them in games.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 12, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, there's an entire class dedicated to guns. Extremely good chance that Levi's going gunning when we unlock them.

RareAcumen posted:

Please don't overwork yourself

It's fine, it was meant to be one of those dumb "don't make me turn this LP around" jokes

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tithin posted:

Yeah, there's an entire class dedicated to guns. Extremely good chance that Levi's going gunning when we unlock them.

It's fine, it was meant to be one of those dumb "don't make me turn this LP around" jokes

Can you switch back from gunning in the remake? Because in the original it was a one-way street, and given how few guns there were it was basically a giant trap class.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FairGame posted:

Can you switch back from gunning in the remake? Because in the original it was a one-way street, and given how few guns there were it was basically a giant trap class.

It's not permanent.

Class changing is dictated by your available class marks and there's no "locked" classes that lock you in when you get in on it excepting some undead ones but even then, there's options to get out of those classes and back to humanoid classes.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Guns used to have an interesting niche. They weren't as strong as bows but they had infinite range. You could hit anything on the map as long as the bullet's path wasn't obstructed. I made my Neutral Denim a gunner and it worked pretty well.

Now they're shittier crossbows :negative:

AweStriker posted:

I'm surprised the generics in Speedbump One didn't notice or comment on Ozma not being dead - or more to the point, there to fight them.

This is an oversight due to that being the (more or less) original line in the classic game, that chapter 4 is the same for all paths (give or take one or two minor differences), and that Ozma wasn't a recruit in the original.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

These kinds of games always make guns lovely. Why? Guns rule.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Have you done the Azelstan nonsense?

http://tacticsogre.wikia.com/wiki/Azelstan Look at that. It's ridiculous. I know about it, and I still managed to miss it half the time I played the game. Yes, spoilers in that link. I'm pretty sure just saying the name is safe, though.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

There just isn't a big enough variety of fusils in game to make them "good".

They also suffer from mostly having a lack of elemental affinities. And augment element becomes a decent portion of your damage output as the game goes on.

It's also impossible (or highly improbable) to make a fusil that matches the element of the best fusil finisher.

Edit: I don't remember him doing the pirate stuff and at this point it's too late to get him without basically restarting chapter 4.

The good thing is that you dont have to do one of the top 5 hardest battles in the game.

waah fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 13, 2017

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Shitenshi posted:

For all the faults of the original translation, Mirdyn said he'd make Barbas too ugly for the bitches in hell in that one. That's not even getting into all the times people call Catiua a bitch right to her face.

Not nearly enough times.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Andyzero posted:

http://tacticsogre.wikia.com/wiki/Azelstan Look at that. It's ridiculous. I know about it, and I still managed to miss it half the time I played the game. Yes, spoilers in that link. I'm pretty sure just saying the name is safe, though.

Nope! We're "good" to do it now but we've passed the trigger to do it, so we'll get it postgame

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
In a game with bows and crossbows, guns need a niche, and early guns basically only had one trick - you could leave them loaded and ready to fire at a moment's notice. Something like Age of Decadence where you can put a gun in a "potion slot" might work well, but as regular equipment they're a bit lackluster.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Andyzero posted:

Oh yeah, that sidequest has a rather demanding time-table. I think I missed it too the first time.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

These kinds of games always make guns lovely. Why? Guns rule.

Well, to be fair, early guns were shite compared to bows and crossbows. The advantage they had was that they were easier to make/deal with than a crossbow, and that you could give any fool a gun and quickly make them competent with it versus the YEARS of training that was required to make a good bowman.

So, pretty much an advantage in logistics and nothing else. That is one hell of an advantage though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 13, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
FFT's guns were fairly decent, I feel - the damage formula results in a decently powerful weapon, the range is good for the game's rather small maps, 100% accuracy and you could shoot spells with them. And you could catch bullets if you were to fight against someone with a gun, which was also neat.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 13, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

With this game's aesthetic being what it is, I feel like guns being odd and no one really being able to prepare for them would be neat. Maybe guns just innately have a ton of status affect chances on them so a hit might disable someone's hands or stop them from moving or using an ability or just outright instant death on maybe a 5 or more level difference in your favor. I dunno how balanced that'd be but I'm not someone who'd play this game because I can't remember how spells work half the time and also that crafting system would drive me totally nuts.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Engineers (?) are my favorite fft class just for the pure cc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 58 - Catiua.

-----------//-----------

Barnicia Grand Staircase

Enemy Composition

Condition(s): Kill Lanselot.

Red
Lanselot (Death Templar)
Catiua (Priest - Conditional)
Templar x13

Catiua is a potential opponent. That potential is conditional upon your response to this question;

To remind you, we had the will and strength and desire to wage war upon our sister in the name of peace. She will not fight us.

Had we lacked the conviction to fight her, she would have fought us.

Lanselot & Catiua are the greatest threats.

-----------//-----------

: I'm glad the loss of your sight has not diminished your skill.

: Our convictions may have been at odds, but I was sorry to lose you all the same.

: One of your ability should have been able to find some other way forward. But this....

: To change so much so quickly invites suffering.

: There was no other way. Lodis needs change.

: Move too slowly, and the commons would never recognize it for what it was.

: Our uprising showed them that change had come.

: But more importantly, it taught them where to kneel.

-----------//-----------

: I have merely lost faith in you, high commander.

: I always thought well of you, Ozma.

: Never resting on the laurels you were born to.

: A bold spirit, you had. Deep love for your homeland, and a true desire for reform.... Pity.

: As I respected you, High Commander.

: It was through your effort that Lodis rose from its own rot and returned to strength.

: But I cannot see a future in the course you and Balxephon take - the way you deceive and rule others with fear. You bring change, but what follows?

: Press down upon the people for too long, and you will warp the land and invite destruction.

-----------//-----------

: And who are you to demand anything of the monarch of Valeria?

: You brought war with you when you came to these islands!

: Valeria needs you not at all, and my sister needs you even less.

: Oh? It was none other than the Bakram regent who summoned us here. Your very uncle, Brantyn Morne! We are not invaders, but mediators.

: It is you who insists upon war! If you truly wish order for the islands, then you will follow Lodis!

: I have no desire for order born of irons and bonds!

It really says a lot about the quality of Tartaros' character that even talk of the people having a will or say in the direction of their lives sends him into a frothing rage.

-----------//-----------

We're at the bottom of the stairs, they're at the top. This doesn't matter in the slightest.

We're not even remotely screwing around. We're going for the throat and taking it.

Unfortunately Tartaros is a more traditional kind of boss. He'd make an excellent Zap Branigan, by sending wave after wave of his own men at us.

Offensively these guys are a cut above the guys outside the walls, but they're made of the same armour as them, which is to say, made of paper.

She's gonna need that

Like a Scythe through wheat.

Time to make the final push

Lanselot joins the Fray

Lanselot leaves the Fray

Levi... mate..

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

So folks, this is it. The last(? that I remember) major choice in the game.

This choice reflects Catiuas fate as a monarch... or not.

This choice in part determines your ending.

We will be asked two different questions, so I will be doing this question as a Strawpoll.

What sort of Brother would abandon his Sister, as you did?

-----------//-----------

With 30 votes to 16...

I never abandoned you.

The moment of truth

tithin fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 15, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm surprised at how few people had anything to say once we got here, after how chatty the Barbas fight was in comparison.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You abandoned us, we never abandoned you

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Girl, we didn't abandon you, you ran off cause our sworn enemy told you some poo poo that you took at face value.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 14, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Use the strawpoll, you dorks.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Correct though it may be, I don't think telling her, cornered and abandoned, that she was never actually abandoned and was just being silly is a good idea, so I voted for the other option (using the poll, of course).

Is this the choice that may result in Katiua's suicide?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Szurumbur posted:

Correct though it may be, I don't think telling her, cornered and abandoned, that she was never actually abandoned and was just being silly is a good idea, so I voted for the other option (using the poll, of course).

Is this the choice that may result in Katiua's suicide?

no.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Screw being sympathetic to her. We are doing what needs to be done and she spit on us and everyone who ever loved her by siding with evil McGee. If she's started standing in the way of progress after that it's her problem.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't really give her any poo poo for siding with him, since Lanselot cornered her when she was off by herself. It's not like she was going to fight off the entire Dark Knight command unit by herself.

Her taking a swing at Denam when he found her again was some crazy bullshit though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I can't really give her any poo poo for siding with him, since Lanselot cornered her when she was off by herself. It's not like she was going to fight off the entire Dark Knight command unit by herself.

Her taking a swing at Denam when he found her again was some crazy bullshit though.

I mean she's not exactly under duress here. All it took to get her on team evil guys was being told "he's not your REAL dad."

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean she's not exactly under duress here. All it took to get her on team evil guys was being told "he's not your REAL dad."

Basically this. There wasn't even a troop there surrounding her. She could have taken a jump and a swim to get away and Mr. Eyepatch in his heavy rear end armor would've been 'Well poo poo.'

Catuia is dumb, is basically the point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
choose whichever option makes catiua marry vyce, they deserve each other

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drakenel posted:

Basically this. There wasn't even a troop there surrounding her. She could have taken a jump and a swim to get away and Mr. Eyepatch in his heavy rear end armor would've been 'Well poo poo.'

Catuia is dumb, is basically the point.

Huh, I could've sworn it was Lanselot and a bunch of generic Dark Templars or whatever. Okay, fair enough. Vyce had his dumb showing at the beginning and now Catuia has hers now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Birdstrike posted:

choose whichever option makes catiua marry vyce, they deserve each other

Vyce would like nothing more.

It's the world's finest love triangle

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

Vyce would like nothing more.

It's the world's finest love triangle

#teamvyce baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I can't remember which does which in response to her being/not being in the battle, but I sure did vote!