Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Made FP today for our Feb trip. Got FoP for the very last day. Making FP makes me so nervous and I know what I'm doing. I can't imagine how the rest of you mortals feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hello thread I have successfully booked a surprise Disney trip for my girlfriend and I without her finding out

*pats self on back*

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Renegret posted:

hello thread I have successfully booked a surprise Disney trip for my girlfriend and I without her finding out

*pats self on back*

You're a good person.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Renegret posted:

*pats self on back*

That's sweet!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
ty friends

I'm going to do that, uh

*check notes*

propose marriage thing

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Please, please tell me you intend to time it for the ride photo on Splash Mountain.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Grundulum posted:

Please, please tell me you intend to time it for the ride photo on Splash Mountain.

how delightfully evil

but no I'd rather she not hate me for my entire life

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Renegret posted:

how delightfully evil

but no I'd rather she not hate me for my entire life

In front of the castle? During fireworks?

Do you have a favorite ride/spot?

That’s so sweet!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Her favorite spot is "everywhere with a sight line to the castle" but yeah it's most likely going to be right smack in front of it.

Oh man I hate being the center of attention I sure hope there's nobody there

In magic kingdom

Right in front of the castle.

e: but actually right after fireworks would be pretty great too but man, there's always a giant mad dash of meat trying to get out of the park when it's over and I feel like it'll be difficult to really enjoy the moment without getting trampled.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 14, 2017

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

That's sweet!

Funny, cause when I tried to do the same for you, I got a decidedly different response. ;)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Renegret posted:

Her favorite spot is "everywhere with a sight line to the castle" but yeah it's most likely going to be right smack in front of it.

In magic kingdom

Right in front of the castle

Do it during a fireworks show at night. Let the camera guy/gal know ahead of time.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Good luck with the whole proposal thing!

On an unrelated note, Braksgirl, I had a couple question things that aren't really related to booking a vacation, but travel related... Any chance it'd be okay to hit your email about 'em, or is that just for business?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Funny, cause when I tried to do the same for you, I got a decidedly different response. ;)

Well it is sweet, just not what I would want for myself. :shrug:

Sporkie posted:

Good luck with the whole proposal thing!

On an unrelated note, Braksgirl, I had a couple question things that aren't really related to booking a vacation, but travel related... Any chance it'd be okay to hit your email about 'em, or is that just for business?

Hit me up and I'll see what I can do.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Renegret posted:

e: but actually right after fireworks would be pretty great too but man, there's always a giant mad dash of meat trying to get out of the park when it's over and I feel like it'll be difficult to really enjoy the moment without getting trampled.

Mods change thread title to “Walt Disney World: a giant mad dash of meat”

Anyway, remember the parks physically stay open for a while after listed close. The kiss goodnight is, what, 30 minutes after park close? And I’m sure they don’t kick you out immediately after that. Just dawdle a lot and you should get a low enough level of crowd to enjoy the moment...and get a photopass photog to get it on film.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Boxman posted:

Mods change thread title to “Walt Disney World: a giant mad dash of meat”

Anyway, remember the parks physically stay open for a while after listed close. The kiss goodnight is, what, 30 minutes after park close? And I’m sure they don’t kick you out immediately after that. Just dawdle a lot and you should get a low enough level of crowd to enjoy the moment...and get a photopass photog to get it on film.

Just give us a heads up so we can actually get off tripod for that.

Those mk kids get like 400000 proposals a day, they’ll hopefully know what they’re doing.

Also so that fox deal went through... at this point, how long till we own every external IP universal uses?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Renegret posted:

In magic kingdom

I did it in front of the castle on the walkway to go under and had literally 75 people observing it. We're both wallflowers, but it's insanely fun to have a bunch of people randomly clap and start freaking out going "OMG can i take your picture for you".

Also, a massive massive word of advice, stash the ring in a jacket pocket that you wear to the park but take off for security screening, because if you leave it in a bag, boxes and bags in that bag get searched, so there's always a change they open the box. I literally had to mouth "DON'T OPEN THAT RING BOX" to Disney security while my fiancee had her head turned while going through a line and just kept it in my ran. I'm eternally thankful that the guard realized really quickly that I didn't want to propose in front of a loving turnstile.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well if you're driving, what might be smart is to 'accidentally' leave something behind in the car. Once you get through the gates, rush back to get it while they wait inside. Use this time to grab the ring plus whatever you left behind, and catch back up to them.

Or take the bags (including the ring), and send them ahead to get Dole Whips.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Renegret posted:

In magic kingdom

Do the whole "you are my happily ever after" thing after/during the fireworks

geese
May 29, 2007

This goose is cooked.
Revisiting my post from forever ago. Leaving for Florida in less than 2 weeks!

geese posted:

Has anyone been to the Volcano Bay water park over at Universal yet? It seems early reviews were mixed but they have gotten better more recently. Will the water park be too cold in early January (specifically Jan 2-5)?

Also, has anyone stayed at Cabana Bay at Universal?

We're going to Universal Jan 2-5 staying just offsite. Any good tips for Universal?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So kind of interested to see what happens now that Disney owns Simpsons...might see Marvel come to parks?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Unless universal was involved in the deal then nope, they still have the east coast theme park rights in perpetuity

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
True but if Disney says remove Simpsons tomorrow then I bet they’d be willing to play a bit. I dunno, interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

True but if Disney says remove Simpsons tomorrow then I bet they’d be willing to play a bit. I dunno, interesting.

Does the deal actually give them ownership over existing theme park properties to the extent where they can mess with them at whim, though?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

chitoryu12 posted:

Does the deal actually give them ownership over existing theme park properties to the extent where they can mess with them at whim, though?

It depends strongly on how the contracts for such deals were set up, but I'm inclined to say "probably not."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dunno, but all future royalties will go to Disney, and I doubt there’s a exclusivity clause like Universal signed with Marcel. Don’t k ow though. But Dimpsons at Hollywood Stufios? Sure.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

It's more likely that we'll see doubling up, with certain IPs appearing at both parks, for a period of time rather than seeing anything just disappear from Universal overnight.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m thinking what Universal has to lose and I can think up:

Simpsons
X-men (not that they really did anything with them except that Storm ride)
Doctor Doom

Anything else?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Funkmaster General posted:

It's more likely that we'll see doubling up, with certain IPs appearing at both parks, for a period of time rather than seeing anything just disappear from Universal overnight.

How is this more likely? The West Coast parks will get anything based on the newly acquired IP first. If Universal ever dumps any of it from Orlando (or releases the rights) then WDW will get it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Disney isn't getting FOX network so I don't think they are getting Simpsons.

Also all the Marvel rights at Universal are through one contract with Marvel, they are not with the studios who own the movie rights.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Disney isn't getting Fox News, FS1/other sports, or syndicated Fox. They are getting FX Networks, Nat Geo, Hulu, Alien, fuckin Home Alone, Die Hard, Marvel stuff, Avatar, a trillion other things, Family Guy, King of the Hill and The Simpsons. They own it all now.

Disney is far less interested in currently running TV shows, especially The Simpsons in terms of the creative direction but rather syndication payments via the Fox stuff they don't own and merchandise royalties. Plus really all of this is just to have an insanely massive portfolio when they launch their streaming service next year, which Hulu very well might just become at this point.

Disney's It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 15, 2017

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Disney will quite literally control about 90% of pop culture within a year.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Other thing worth noting, they now own Blue Sky Studios who make the Ice Age films, and Rio

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And Ferdinand lol

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

nimper posted:

How is this more likely? The West Coast parks will get anything based on the newly acquired IP first. If Universal ever dumps any of it from Orlando (or releases the rights) then WDW will get it.

I didn't mean to imply that it was a likely outcome, just that it's MORE likely than the alternative I listed. If Disney decided it wanted Simpsons stuff in its parks - which it probably woild not, mind you - it would be a more likely scenario that they would add simpsons stuff and then both disney parks and universal would both have simpsons stuff... as opposed to them demanding universal purge their own simpsons stuff immediately.

The contracts in place probably prevent either scenario from playing put, though, we just wouldn't know about that aspect of it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Grundulum posted:

This was my original plan, but like an idiot, I didn't check-- splash was down on our MK day. Proposed in the Mansion instead, in the Bride's room. Worked out well, still have my head.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Ugh I didn’t see that they extended Splash Mountain refurbishment into February. It originally was through November, then changed to January. My wife and I go on our honeymoon early/mid February and it’s by far her favorite ride. She’s gonna be so sad if it’s closed when we’re there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s like almost a full year, wonder what is going on in there considering it had a refurb like this three years ago.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's an immensely complicated and super popular ride that runs on water. I'm not too shocked that it needs constantly maintenance.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Two new Magicbands came out today for TLJ, and one is black and the other is completely white. I can't recall if they've ever done a white one. Anyways, they both look great.

http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-here-with-two-new-limited-edition-magicbands/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The limited edition ones that they offered for Christmas this year were mainly white. I like them, but I just know they won't stay white long. They're pretty much going to get grody immediately.