Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

It looks like the tax bill is going to pass without any challenge. If the republicans don’t somehow ban opposition parties I really don’t see how anything will change until boomers die out. It’s not like a democrat and senate majority is going to go and raise taxes back to what they should be.

I think the worst result out of all this will be the inevitable global economic crisis that will come from all this oligarchic excess. I have no idea how we will recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is almost guaranteed there is going to be a major austerity push coming up when the deficit starts to spike again. That said, looking at non-military spending in the US at this point, it is basically going to be all cutting into the bone.

I wonder if we are also going to get the "bonus" of another adventure in the Middle East (our foreign outlook in the Middle East isn't looking good).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Koalas March posted:

white people love that poo poo, are you crazy

Not in my experience sadly :smith: but it could be a red state/anti-science/anti-medicine kind of thing of, well, some people are just kinda messed up

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/941004081392480256
Tidbit no one will see because 2:30 in the fuckin morning.

Obviously I don't know their sampling techniques, but if it's anything like most exit polls that could essentially be "no difference whatsoever."

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

Kraftwerk posted:

It looks like the tax bill is going to pass without any challenge. If the republicans don’t somehow ban opposition parties I really don’t see how anything will change until boomers die out. It’s not like a democrat and senate majority is going to go and raise taxes back to what they should be.

I think the worst result out of all this will be the inevitable global economic crisis that will come from all this oligarchic excess. I have no idea how we will recover.

There's still a few undecided Rs right? Or has that changed

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

sd6 posted:

There's still a few undecided Rs right? Or has that changed

So I’ve read. But I don’t think it’ll take much to get them to toe the party line. The wealthy seem to have a stranglehold on America. There’s too many racists and single issue voters who’d sooner see social security, Medicare, unemployment insurance, workers compensation etc abolished than allow a black person to have the same level of rights as they do.

Why is gerrymandering even a thing? Shouldn’t an independent bipartisan judicial committee draw out the district boundaries according to realistic population distributions? How far is this country going to fall before someone wises up and demands better? Do we have to go back to the times where we got paid in company tokens redeemable only at the company store? Maybe the tech industry will create their own blockchain currencies and forgo money entirely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Why is gerrymandering even a thing?
State's rights

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 14, 2017

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
This might be a comment more useful in the sexism thread, but I can't help but express a small amount of concern over this recent suicide. I try to look past my initial bias in that the guy was a Republican politician, and likely guilty of what he was accused, and that the world is a better place without him and his terrible policy decisions. Given that conservatives have shown they will use just about any tactic outside of literal assassination, I could see O'Keefe types bribing women to level accusations against politicians (democrats) they don't like.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ventana posted:

Not in my experience sadly :smith: but it could be a red state/anti-science/anti-medicine kind of thing of, well, some people are just kinda messed up

yeah it's a yuppie liberal thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Uroboros posted:

I could see O'Keefe types bribing women to level accusations against politicians (democrats) they don't like.

A strategy that has worked out incredibly well for the right-wing nutjobs who have been trying it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Uroboros posted:

This might be a comment more useful in the sexism thread, but I can't help but express a small amount of concern over this recent suicide. I try to look past my initial bias in that the guy was a Republican politician, and likely guilty of what he was accused, and that the world is a better place without him and his terrible policy decisions. Given that conservatives have shown they will use just about any tactic outside of literal assassination, I could see O'Keefe types bribing women to level accusations against politicians (democrats) they don't like.

They've already started trying to forge documents to go after Democrats and we are lucky they are totally incompetent.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Radish posted:

They've already started trying to forge documents to go after Democrats and we are lucky they are totally incompetent.

They forged the signature of a living, uncompromised staffer.

I don't know how the gently caress these guys thought this would go down.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Kraftwerk posted:

Don't worry, the mass migration of people due to their homes becoming untenable through out of control climate change and the slow acidification of the ocean will guarantee this long before politics has a chance to kill us all.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's very simple, actually. Basically the far-right chucklefucks have bought so hard into their own bullshit that they seriously think they can just make up accusations of sexual assault out of whole cloth, and everybody on the other side will automatically believe them without question. So of course they've only managed to come up with the most amateur hour poo poo possible.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's very simple, actually. Basically the far-right chucklefucks have bought so hard into their own bullshit that they seriously think they can just make up accusations of sexual assault out of whole cloth, and everybody on the other side will automatically believe them without question. So of course they've only managed to come up with the most amateur hour poo poo possible.

They see the words "believe women" but they don't understand what that actually means. Just like the idiots crying for due process for Franken

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Which works out as well as possible for their targets--the attacks are so obviously false and hamfisted that the blowback is tremendous.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well, if you consider every accusation against a Republican to be a fake, then you start to think "hey it must not be that hard to fake!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewjdowd/status/941004081392480256
Tidbit no one will see because 2:30 in the fuckin morning.

:toot:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Say goodbye to Net Neutrality. I guess we can call it net neuterality now. The FCC vote to repeal has succeeded despite massive public outcry.

When is america going to admit that the corporations are running the show?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Kraftwerk posted:

Say goodbye to Net Neutrality. I guess we can call it net neuterality now. The FCC vote to repeal has succeeded despite massive public outcry.

When is america going to admit that the corporations are running the show?

Americans believe corporations are running everything. Many of us are just not owning up to how complicit we were in making that happen.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Be sure to thank Joe Manchin, Claire McCaskill, Jon Tester, and Gary Peters for helping this along :)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Google and Amazon are setting up “smart districts” with the tacit approval of city governments. Essentially they’ll be running private feudal villages with carefully monitored apartments and smart homes. It’s gone beyond anything what Orwell has predicted.

I guess it’s all democratic and free as long as the one violating the rule of law and your rights is a private non government entity.

What is left to do? Voting doesn’t help, the Dems are worthless and the people are slack jawed mouth breathers with a vendetta against black people.

And everyone thinks they’ll be rich one day and they support the tax cuts etc because they’re convinced they’ll land their big break and benefit from the tax cuts.

It’s a new dark age.
Money is truth
Medicare - revoked
Free speech- revoked
Financial security- gone.
Women’s rights- suspended

It’s hitlers enabling act spread out over 4 administrations to empower oligarchs no one can even properly identify so there’s no person or institution to direct your anger at.

I would not be the least surprised if the current block chain craze will eventually result in companies creating their own block chain related sub currency and paying their employees with that instead of dollars creating a self contained economic ecosystem just for employees and no one else. If you get fired a hard coded return clause activated and all your tokens are revoked from your wallets preventing you from having any financial security.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

One reason for "coming home" among conservatives is simple peer pressure. Your vote may be secret, but if the people you look up to and have built your life around publicly support the people you're uncomfortable with, it's easy to decide that you're somehow in the wrong.

I think a lot of people don't appreciate how important this aspect is. If literally everyone you know closely (family, friends, etc) is conservative, and your only knowledge of liberals is in the form of bad stereotypes and what have you, it can be hard to break away from that, and most liberals ended up with their own political ideology for the same reasons (rather than some sort of logical evaluation of the facts or whatever). Even a lot of the people who grew up around conservatives and "switch sides" have some personal reason; for example, if they dislike and have bad associations with a bunch of their family/friends, it's easier to break away from them politically/ideologically. My dad is a good example. He had a terrible time growing up in the south, and my grandfather was physically abusive towards him. As a result, he left and became liberal. His two younger brothers were fortunate enough to grow up after my grandfather stopped being abusive, and they stayed in the conservative fold as a result of their positive association with that group of people and lifestyle.

Chilichimp posted:

add a 90% confiscatory tax for any income over 1m dollars/year and you're on.

A better approach is to go after wealth, not income (since wealth inequality is both greater and more representative of the actual effects of inequality than income inequality). A wealth tax is necessary.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 14, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Kraftwerk posted:

Google and Amazon are setting up “smart districts” with the tacit approval of city governments. Essentially they’ll be running private feudal villages with carefully monitored apartments and smart homes. It’s gone beyond anything what Orwell has predicted.

I guess it’s all democratic and free as long as the one violating the rule of law and your rights is a private non government entity.

What is left to do? Voting doesn’t help, the Dems are worthless and the people are slack jawed mouth breathers with a vendetta against black people.

And everyone thinks they’ll be rich one day and they support the tax cuts etc because they’re convinced they’ll land their big break and benefit from the tax cuts.

It’s a new dark age.
Money is truth
Medicare - revoked
Free speech- revoked

It’s hitlers enabling act spread out over 4 administrations to empower oligarchs no one can even properly identify so there’s no person or institution to direct your anger at.

I would not be the least surprised if the current block chain craze will eventually result in companies creating their own block chain related sub currency and paying their employees with that instead of dollars creating a self contained economic ecosystem just for employees and no one else. If you get fired a hard coded return clause activated and all your tokens are revoked from your wallets preventing you from having any financial security.

Jeff Bezos is sneakily one of the most evil people in the US. The plan is to get rid of work and then to get rid of workers. Everyone who has money will weather out the climate catastrophe and leave the rest to their post-civilization fate.

The only thing that can save us is mass solidarity.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

I think a lot of people don't appreciate how important this aspect is. If literally everyone you know closely (family, friends, etc) is conservative, and your only knowledge of liberals is in the form of bad stereotypes and what have you, it can be hard to break away from that, and most liberals ended up with their own political ideology for the same reasons (rather than some sort of logical evaluation of the facts or whatever). Even a lot of the people who grew up around conservatives and "switch sides" have some personal reason; for example, if they dislike and have bad associations with a bunch of their family/friends, it's easier to break away from them politically/ideologically. My dad is a good example. He had a terrible time growing up in the south, and my grandfather was physically abusive towards him. As a result, he left and became liberal. His two younger brothers were fortunate enough to grow up after my grandfather stopped being abusive, and they stayed in the conservative fold as a result of their positive association with that group of people and lifestyle.

A better approach is to go after wealth, not income (since wealth inequality is both greater and more representative of the actual effects of inequality than income inequality). A wealth tax is necessary.

Inheritance is income :)

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

It’s a new dark age.
Money is truth
Medicare - revoked
Free speech- revoked

The goal has always been to bring slavery back. With a name change and a fancy PR campaign you'd have people willingly putting themselves in chains and being none the wiser.

The only way out is through bloodshed. I've told you who the targets need to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

It’s a new dark age.
Money is truth
Medicare - revoked
Free speech- revoked

You keep saying "new" as if scrips and coal mining towns and poo poo werent already a thing

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

He's the guy I gotta beat! My first speech is scheduled for next month. Stay tuned.

(Ok, I'm prolly not really running but I am scheduled to give a speech)

Goons in every office in the land, imo.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

The goal has always been to bring slavery back. With a name change and a fancy PR campaign you'd have people willingly putting themselves in chains and being none the wiser.

The only way out is through bloodshed. I've told you who the targets need to be.

Captains log, stardate 48571, after making contant with a strange crystalline entity, he began demanding that all of the white men on the bridge be put to the sword.

After fear swept the crew and they stormed the bridge to execute the first office, Whitey McWhitebread, the entity revealed that it was a joke all along.

aaaaaaaaakward!

Note to the officers mess, please send a request for flowers and an apology card to be sent to the the McWhitebread family on starbase KM Detroit4lyfe.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Can't wait to get white genocided personally.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

You keep saying "new" as if scrips and coal mining towns and poo poo werent already a thing

Yeah, but that just makes the prospect more depressing since science-tech stuff was usually characterized as one of the opportunities for kids to leave those sorts of environments.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Endorph posted:

For more you can read Thomas Andrew's Killing for Coal an insight in "America's deadliest labor war".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Because if you put yourself in their place you'd realize that impotent venting about oppressors is no threat to you because whether you like it or not, support it or not, you're part of oppressor group and will continue to benefit from it and their cries of frustration are not going to effect you at all.

Yeah, this is the thing to keep in mind about stuff like "kill all white people/men" memes. There is zero realistic risk of that actually happening, and - unlike minorities - white people always have the option of just leaving the few spaces where people say that kind of stuff for a society that, more often than not, will treat them just fine. Like, this sort of thing is only noticeable in certain social groups. If you're white, you can always step away from the SA forums (or whatever) and instantly be in a society that is 95% safe spaces where white people/men face no discrimination.

The only situation where this kind of thing can be obnoxious is when white people are saying it. I don't like the term "virtue signalling," but I do think that some white people say this kind of stuff as a sort of social "lubricant" to fit in with certain social groups. But even then it's only obnoxious, and isn't an actual problem with worrying about.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chilichimp posted:

Inheritance is income :)

Why wait until the fuckers croak? Unless you're suggesting pairing it with guillotines, of course.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, this is the thing to keep in mind about stuff like "kill all white people/men" memes. There is zero realistic risk of that actually happening, and - unlike minorities - white people always have the option of just leaving the few spaces where people say that kind of stuff for a society that, more often than not, will treat them just fine. Like, this sort of thing is only noticeable in certain social groups. If you're white, you can always step away from the SA forums (or whatever) and instantly be in a society that is 95% safe spaces where white people/men face no discrimination.

The only situation where this kind of thing can be obnoxious is when white people are saying it. I don't like the term "virtue signalling," but I do think that some white people say this kind of stuff as a sort of social "lubricant" to fit in with certain social groups. But even then it's only obnoxious, and isn't an actual problem with worrying about.

There’s isn’t safe place for my socialist leanings. I might as well be a satanist in Salt Lake City.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

If we don't convince white dudes to espouse white male genocide, how will we ever move the Overton window? :colbert:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/polls/voters-think-trump-resign-harassment-allegations/

quote:

PPP’s newest national poll finds that a majority of voters think Donald Trump should resign from the Presidency because of the allegations of sexual harassment against him. 53% think Trump should step down to just 42% who think he should remain in office. 53% of voters believe the women who have accused Trump of harassment, to 31% who think they aren’t telling the truth.

On a related note, 63% of voters agree with Al Franken’s decision to resign from the Senate to 21% who disagree with it. Both Trump voters (71/14) and Clinton voters (57/29) agree with Franken’s decision to resign. The divide on what should happen to Trump is more predictable with Clinton voters (86/10) overwhelmingly saying he should resign and Trump voters (12/83) overwhelmingly saying he shouldn’t.

Interestingly Clinton voters are more likely than Trump voters to believe the accusers when it comes to the allegations again both Franken and Trump. A majority of Clinton voters believe Franken’s accusers (62/16), while just a plurality of Trump’s do (45/20). When it comes to the accusations against Trump things are much more polarized with Clinton voters (88/7) almost universally believing them while Trump voters (10/63) are considerably more skeptical.
The political climate continues to be shaping up very well for Democrats in 2018. They have a 51-40 lead on the generic Congressional ballot. The Republicans in Congress have a terrible brand- Paul Ryan’s approval rating is 23/58 and he comes out looking good in comparison to Mitch McConnell who is at 13/61.

One thing that’s not helping the GOP is the tax bill- only 29% of voters support it to 49% who are opposed. And by a 23 point margin voters say they’re less likely to vote for a member of Congress next year who supports it- 49% say support for the tax bill makes them less likely to vote for someone, to only 26% who consider it a positive.
Voters wish Barack Obama was still President instead of Trump 56/39. Trump is also losing badly to all the Democrats we tested against him in early 2020 match ups. He’s down 54-40 to Joe Biden, 53-40 to Bernie Sanders, 50-40 to Cory Booker, 51-42 to Elizabeth Warren, 47-40 to Kirsten Gillibrand, and 46-40 to Kamala Harris. The number for the various Democrats moves around some based on name recognition, but Trump stays consistently in that 40-42% range.
-51% of voters believe Trump is mentally unbalanced, to 44% who say they think he’s mentally stable.

-Just 37% of voters think he’s delivered on his core campaign promise to ‘Make America Great Again,’ while 57% say he hasn’t.

-For the first time we find a majority of voters- 51%- support impeaching Trump to 42% who are opposed.

For all of that Trump does have one thing going for him though- the Republican Party is definitely still the party of Trump. 70% of GOP voters say they want Trump to be their candidate again in 2020, to only 24% who say they’d prefer someone else. Trump leads Mike Pence by 40 (62/22), Ted Cruz by 43 (64/21), John Kasich by 51 (70/19), and Jeff Flake by 58 (74/16) in head to head match ups. The country overall may have had enough of him, but he remains on strong ground within his own party.

Sorry for the super long quote post but there's so much fascinating poo poo in the latest PPPolls that I couldn't help myself. I bolded some of the most fun poo poo. The Republican Party is loving trapped with Trump, and I assume internal polling is showing similar. They're totally hosed.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/polls/voters-think-trump-resign-harassment-allegations/

Sorry for the super long quote post but there's so much fascinating poo poo in the latest PPPolls that I couldn't help myself. I bolded some of the most fun poo poo. The Republican Party is loving trapped with Trump, and I assume internal polling is showing similar. They're totally hosed.

The problem with the polling is that it changes drastically come actual election time, once the GOP propaganda machine revs up and The Base Comes Home. What looks like a slam dunk 12 months out suddenly becomes a toss-up or a losing effort once ballots actually have to be cast.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kraftwerk posted:

It’s a new dark age.
Money is truth
Medicare - revoked
Free speech- revoked

Is this what delusion feels like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

If we don't convince white dudes to espouse white male genocide, how will we ever move the Overton window? :colbert:

I feel like it's easy to throw that sort of thing out there, but a lot of the people who do that sort of thing rarely actually focus on giving anything material to minority communities.

Like, part of the reason I say this is that I understand the temptation. You can go into certain online spaces as a white person and talk about how terrible white people are and gain instant social acceptance. It's easy. Far easier than actually supporting the sorts of ideas and policy that might require you to make some material sacrifices for the sake of the minority groups in question.

For young liberals today, focusing on social justice in a way that generally neglects to bring up the topic of actual material redistribution (in the form of basically any dramatic expansion of government spending that would directly benefit minority communities) is very popular. Because it's easy. It demands almost nothing of the people in question. They can feel good about themselves while continuing to remain part of the materially privileged top ~20%. What a great deal! And while I don't think this is part of the motivation of the individuals in question, I don't think it's a coincidence that people are divorcing from the topic of social justice its material elements. The whole strategy characterized by the 2016 primary - painting social justice and economic justice as separate (if not directly at odds with one another) - allows people with otherwise good intentions to pursue their social justice goals in a way that doesn't actually threaten those with wealth and power.

Just to be clear, what I'm criticizing here isn't so much people saying these sorts of things, but more what they often don't say and do. I feel like we shouldn't give people praise and/or acceptance just because they're willing to condemn white people or whatever. They need to also express a greater commitment to reparations (in a broad sense referring to creating actual equal material outcomes in addition to fighting social bigotry).

• Locked thread