Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
To be fair, sex with a male robot is indeed gay, and sex with a female robot is straight. That's no reason to be homophobic though :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but this particular fetish seems unusually... self-congratulatory for the man, if you catch my drift. Like an author writing a book about a beautiful teenage girl hopelessly attracted to short, fat, middle-aged English literature professors. That's definitely someone’s kink, but you wouldn’t expect it to be the woman’s.

I'm reminded of a short horror story I read years ago where someone is recounting an incident where two punk bikers stopped a couple, one of whom was a very attractive woman and the other was a dweeby artist. The bikers decide there is no reason such a man should have a woman so attractive, and don't get a clue when they menace the woman with rape and she's blithe about it and he says she should let them do it. I forget the exact logic of it, but ultimately she 'lets them' rape her after they smash his paintings. It turns out she has a wholly unique condition that spreads through fluid contact, especially sexual contact, and it strikes down the bikers with a horrible disease that makes them die in agony. The 'nerd' with her? Happened to be the only one in the world immune to it.

In retrospect I now wonder what the author looked like when he wrote it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
^^ Vengeance Is, by Theodore Sturgeon, from Dark Forces. (I only know that because I just read it.)

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Goggling his picture gets me...

Well, considering that story was one of the last things he wrote, probably not.

Also, to my surprise, Sturgeon is not only the Sturgeon of Sturgeon's law, he also wrote Killdozer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i thought a goon wrote killdozer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

i thought a goon wrote killdozer

Considering it's a novella from 1944, that would be the oldest of oldgoons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought a goon wrote Dozerfleet. Or that might have been a Troper.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought a goon wrote Dozerfleet. Or that might have been a Troper.

The Dozerfleet Founder is a troper.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Genesplicer wrote it?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Fun fact: Theodore Sturgeon was the inspiration for Kilgore Trout before Trout started to be self-parody of Vonnegut

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The Dozerfleet Founder is a troper.

What is dozerfleet?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zerilan posted:

What is dozerfleet?

We have such sights to show you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zerilan posted:

What is dozerfleet?

A weird ultra-conservative probably mentally ill dude who has compiled every thought he has ever had about a TV show he'd like to see made into an exhaustive wiki

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Zerilan posted:

What is dozerfleet?

http://dozerfleet.wikia.com/wiki/Main_page
enjoy

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
also https://thefpl.us/episode/121 and https://thefpl.us/episode/212

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Proteus Jones posted:

oh yeah i think im mixing up the tank book and the killdozer smiley for some reason lol

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

oh yeah i think im mixing up the tank book and the killdozer smiley for some reason lol

Said smiley is in reference to what this guy did.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cornwind Evil posted:

Said smiley is in reference to what this guy did.
And now coming full circle, my brain parsed "I thought a goon wrote Killdozer" as someone thinking that guy was a goon.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
"Killdozer" = story by Theodore Sturgeon

Killdozer = homemade death machine deployed by a disgruntled muffler repairman in 2004

My Tank Is Fight! = funny book by Zack Parsons

:goonsay:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Fun fact: Theodore Sturgeon was the inspiration for Kilgore Trout before Trout started to be self-parody of Vonnegut

Some year ago I read a Sturgeon collected set, about 6 volumes, something like "The Complete Theodore Sturgeon". It was surprisingly good like so much of the science fiction of those years isn't. (Around the same time I read a similar collection for Philip K Dick. A lot of that hasn't aged well at all.)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

outlier posted:

Some year ago I read a Sturgeon collected set, about 6 volumes, something like "The Complete Theodore Sturgeon". It was surprisingly good like so much of the science fiction of those years isn't. (Around the same time I read a similar collection for Philip K Dick. A lot of that hasn't aged well at all.)

Dick really deserves to be Trout's real-life analogue. Terrible writer who nevertheless has has all the ideas has never had a more apt recipient.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I thought that while Trout obviously took his name from Sturgeon, he was a composite of multiple authors, including Dick.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I thought that while Trout obviously took his name from Sturgeon, he was a composite of multiple authors, including Dick.

Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story about touching he own dick

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
a shameful trout

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story about touching he own dick

Inspiration for ready player one no doubt

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Inspiration for ready player one no doubt

the dumb dingus in that book named his spaceship "Vonnegut" which goes to show you can read all you want and still learn nothing

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

the dumb dingus in that book named his spaceship "Vonnegut" which goes to show you can read all you want and still learn nothing

Every time I learn something new about that book I hate it even more.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've never read Vonnegut (shameful confession) and hate RPO. Why is it even worse than most of the other idiotic name dropping?

*Stupid autocorrect

PJOmega has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Dec 15, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

PJOmega posted:

I've never read Vonnegut (shameful confession) and head RPO. Why is it even worse than most of the other idiotic name dropping?

Because Vonnegut would have been disgusted by RPO, probably.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Because Vonnegut would have been disgusted by RPO, probably.

That's a pretty low bar. One that sadly so few people strive to clear.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

PJOmega posted:

I've never read Vonnegut (shameful confession) and hate RPO. Why is it even worse than most of the other idiotic name dropping?

*Stupid autocorrect

Vonnegut is one of the greatest authors of the 20th century. His writing is beautiful and evocative and carries his message well. Cline is a hack who wrote two entire novels out of mentioning other, better works, apparently completely unironically.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PJOmega posted:

I've never read Vonnegut (shameful confession)
Fix this already.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

TheKennedys posted:

I've got to second the "for once the TV show is actually way better" opinion re: The Magicians. I had the same problem, I couldn't manage to read the books after watching the first two seasons of the show, because the show took a sharp left early on and largely ignored most of the books, and ended up better for it. The books are super pretentious and Quentin is somehow even more of a whiny moron and ugh. No.

Counterpoint: the whole main theme of the book was that Quentin was not, in fact, a chosen one. He wasn’t ever really noticed by forces good or evil. He wasn’t singled out to be expelled in the least-tense scene ever (like the show), nor was he saved at the last minute by a deus ex machina because of his untapped potential.

Yeah, the books are not good, like at all, but I loved that theme. Quentin did well in his studies because he worked his fingers off. In a culture where chosen-one master assassin Mary Sue badass inserts are the norm, I loved the fact that Quentin bucked the trend. It was honestly the only thing I liked about the series.

Well, that,and, the world-building of the hedge witches having a few smeary printouts to cast lovely dimestore versions of real spells. It’s unusual in a magic-based novel to include modern technology and work with it. Look at dresden, for example - iirc, there’s some magic macguffin reason why he can’t use cell phones or the internet.

That the show went wholly in the other direction and made him the chosen one made me peace out after a few episodes. I don’t really like Harry Potter style things so I was probably going to suck out at some point anyway.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Fix this already.

I should correct that a little. I've read Slaughterhouse-five and loved it too much to marathon his other works. I don't consider myself to have read an author via only one if their books, especially someone as heavily praises and published as Vonnegut.

So it goes.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Read Mother Night.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Runcible Cat posted:

Read Mother Night.

Yeah, everyone praises the hell out of slaughterhouse five (and it's a drat good book) but Mother Night blows it away.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dresden Files has a recurring issue that wizards are somewhere between walking EMPs and Murphy's Law when it comes to technology after a certain point of advancement, and more drastically so when they actively use magic or attempt to use the device in question. This occasionally has advantages, like how it's hilariously easy for them to kill security cameras and even cause weapons to malfunction, but an increasing amount of disadvantages, especially since other supernatural beings usually have no such weakness at all as long as they take the time to figure out how technology works. There's even a plot point in one of the books where people deliberately use modern technology to hide information from wizards, and the protagonist has to rely on his friends to use modern technology and the internet for him. Also makes life a bit hard for wizards, since many can't use cell phones, air conditioning, refridgerators or hot water systems.

(I provide this solely for context reasons; I'm enjoying the books currently and I'm sure I'll look back on them as trash, but fun trash)

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

"for once the TV show is actually way better"
Speaking of - my wife made me both read Fifty Shades of Grey and watch the movie, and the movie is infinitely more watchable than the book is readable. The story is the same hosed up poo poo of a creepy billionaire control freak who obsesses over and stalks a completely ordinary girl for no discernible reason, but at least we're spared LL James' incompetent handling of the English language.

The book was a loving slog to get through, because it was written in such a boring, unimaginative language. With the movie the actors can at least inject some nuance and uncertainty with their performance, unlike the book where it's just "No, really, this dude tracking you down and dragging your black-out-drunk rear end to his hotel room is actually good and romantic".

And really, your favorite tea is Earl Grey? That's like saying your favorite meal is food. Seriously.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Inescapable Duck posted:

Dresden Files has a recurring issue that wizards are somewhere between walking EMPs and Murphy's Law when it comes to technology after a certain point of advancement, and more drastically so when they actively use magic or attempt to use the device in question. This occasionally has advantages, like how it's hilariously easy for them to kill security cameras and even cause weapons to malfunction, but an increasing amount of disadvantages, especially since other supernatural beings usually have no such weakness at all as long as they take the time to figure out how technology works. There's even a plot point in one of the books where people deliberately use modern technology to hide information from wizards, and the protagonist has to rely on his friends to use modern technology and the internet for him. Also makes life a bit hard for wizards, since many can't use cell phones, air conditioning, refridgerators or hot water systems.

(I provide this solely for context reasons; I'm enjoying the books currently and I'm sure I'll look back on them as trash, but fun trash)

one thing I've enjoyed about the Dresden Files is it's total acceptance of Christianity as part of it's setting*, I'm an atheist, but it's refreshingly different from other fantasy series

*I assume god made everything inside of the lovecraft wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's mostly just a fairly simple plot device to allow Butcher to hark more closely back towards the classic noir detective stories. It makes it easier to have Dresden need to go everywhere in person and/or end up stranded in bad spots all alone without constantly having to think of reasons why he couldn't just look poo poo up on the internet or call for backup on his cellphone. Though it's pretty fun how he managed to interweave that with the world, like at one point he mentioned that before electronics were really a thing the same effect manifested by stuff like curdling milk or making animals infertile, which eventually became associated with witches in popular culture.