Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Disney, which owns ABC and ESPN, hopes 21st Century will supercharge its plans to introduce two Netflix-style streaming services. The company’s first major streaming effort, ESPN Plus, will arrive in the spring. A second and still unnamed offering, built around the company’s Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar brands, will roll out late next year. Rounding out its streaming portfolio will be Hulu, the already established service that focuses on older viewers with programming that includes ABC shows.

Mr. Iger is buying 21st Century Fox’s minority stake in Hulu, resulting in majority control of the streaming service by Disney, which previously owned 30 percent. Comcast and Time Warner also have stakes in Hulu.

--

Disney is purchasing the Fox television studio, which has 36 series in production, including “The Simpsons,” “Homeland,” “This Is Us” and “Modern Family.” Disney’s significantly smaller TV factory, ABC Studios, has delivered series of inconsistent quality and lost its biggest hitmaker in August when the “Grey’s Anatomy” producer Shonda Rhimes decamped for Netflix.

As part of the deal, Disney will also get the FX and National Geographic cable networks, and stakes in two behemoth overseas television-service providers, Sky of Britain and Star of India.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/14/business/dealbook/disney-fox-deal.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RIP Hulu.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oh, you thought this was a game?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

[..]As part of the deal, Disney will also get the FX [...]

I swear, if Disney fucks up FX...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Now that one surprises me. Spurlock was so up his own rear end about what a good little liberal he was he was breathing his own farts 24/7.

But you never do know when it comes to who's a sex monster.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

In the end, we're all sex monsters

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

Now that one surprises me. Spurlock was so up his own rear end about what a good little liberal he was he was breathing his own farts 24/7.

I mean, with no accusers, this kinda just feels like Morgan is trying to get his name in the headlines. I bet in a few months he releases a new documentary about #metoo or something shameless like that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

lelandjs posted:

I mean, with no accusers, this kinda just feels like Morgan is trying to get his name in the headlines. I bet in a few months he releases a new documentary about #metoo or something shameless like that.

He's always been a shameless attention seeker willing to bend the truth so this is entirely possible.

Iron Crowned posted:

In the end, we're all sex monsters

Speak for yourself.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/941280830655225856

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This is just going to be a bad day, isn't it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

Are you a sex monster?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DivisionPost posted:

Only if you take issue with consumers being alright with streamlining the oligopoly because now Deadpool can pee on Iron Man or whatever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baronash posted:

Only if you take issue with consumers being alright with streamlining the oligopoly because now Deadpool can pee on Iron Man or whatever.

Conveniently on the same day your ISP will now get to charge you an asston of money to watch Disney stream that Deadpool peeing on Ironman movie at more than dialup speeds.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

I had no idea Spurlock had even done anything new in like several years, I didn't know he was significant enough for anyone to get this upset about him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

Conveniently on the same day your ISP will now get to charge you an asston of money to watch Disney stream that Deadpool peeing on Ironman movie at more than dialup speeds.

Oh, that's today. I thought it was only tomorrow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I mean, why not both? His coming out statement almost sounds like he's bragging. It's bizarre.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I had no idea Spurlock had even done anything new in like several years, I didn't know he was significant enough for anyone to get this upset about him.

I'm not upset in the slightest. I think the most recent thing he's done that I'm aware of was his CNN show.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

Let's checklist:

*Disney consumes yet another company
*Ajit Pai fucks us out of a free and open internet
*A new, possibly underwhelming Star Wars film is being released

Yeah, today's not looking great.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

lelandjs posted:

Let's checklist:

*Disney consumes yet another company
*Ajit Pai fucks us out of a free and open internet
*A new, possibly underwhelming Star Wars film is being released

Yeah, today's not looking great.

Maybe Disney will hurriedly photoshop Deadpool into the new star wars movie making fun of it. He can look at the screen and say "I sure am tired of all these Star Wars" like that UCB sketch.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

bagrada posted:

Maybe Disney will hurriedly photoshop Deadpool into the new star wars movie making fun of it. He can look at the screen and say "I sure am tired of all these Star Wars" like that UCB sketch.

Like you're kidding but I have a feeling that when TLJ starts tonight I'll be greeted with the Fox fanfare.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The new Star Wars is getting almost universally good reviews.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Force Awakens got 93%...

I think reviewers are a bit measured this time though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Reviewer responses are almost universally positive, but from what I've seen from fans there are some tonal and pacing issues with the film that aren't offset by the good parts.

Looper was really well received too, and I thought it was muddled garbage (and I say that as someone who has Brick in his top 10 films).

I want TLJ to be fantastic but Rian has disappointed me before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah but it's popular, and goons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How are we supposed to feel when it turns out the new Star Wars movie molested a bunch of kids though?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EL BROMANCE posted:

How are we supposed to feel when it turns out the new Star Wars movie molested a bunch of kids though?

I feel like there was a South Park episode about this very concept...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Reading between the lines it sounds like it's about the same as TFA and RO, just a bit higher quality. If you didn't like the likeable-characters-over-interesting-themes nature of those movies, you'll probably only like this one marginally more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat, nothing I hate more in movies than characters I like.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

How is Brockmire? I never even heard of it before seeing that list. I'm pretty happy that Leftovers is high on all these lists. By the third season it easily became the best TV show I have ever seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

drat, nothing I hate more in movies than characters I like.

:shrug: I'll take an interesting theme over a charming smile any day. Ideally I'd have both but I just can't watch movies that have nothing to say anymore.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Eezee posted:

How is Brockmire? I never even heard of it before seeing that list. I'm pretty happy that Leftovers is high on all these lists. By the third season it easily became the best TV show I have ever seen.

I watched it based on Sepinwall's placement and found it to absolutely live up to his hype. It's fuckin hilarious.

The Last Jedi is an excellent movie and definitely better than The Force Awakens. But there's lots of goony goons whining and nitpicking in the thread/s anyway so eh.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Travis Smiley has been suspended by PBS for the usual sort of allegations but he is fighting back pretty hard and denying everything. https://www.thewrap.com/tavis-smiley-blasts-pbs-for-so-called-investigation-prompting-show-suspension-this-has-gone-too-far/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I mean it may well be bad, I didn't watch Force Awakens either. I'm not that into Star Wars. I just think it's weird to go in assuming a film that doesn't appear to be Phantom Menace derided must be bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean it may well be bad, I didn't watch Force Awakens either. I'm not that into Star Wars. I just think it's weird to go in assuming a film that doesn't appear to be Phantom Menace derided must be bad.

You must be new around here....

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't know how to tell you this, but...

It was a good movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Force Awakens rules. I'm watching it again right now. Last Jedi will probably also rule. Rian Johnson is an insanely talented guy and I've heard it compared to The Empire Strikes Back which is basically the highest praise you can give a movie in my mind. I can't wait to see it in a few hours!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Trump personally called Murdoch directly to confirm that he wasn't selling Fox News as well because the prospect of that happening genuinely worried him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

Apparently Trump personally called Murdoch directly to confirm that he wasn't selling Fox News as well because the prospect of that happening genuinely worried him.
That's loving hilarious, but Trump being a gigantic baby is par for the course

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It would’ve been hilarious for Disney to have bought Fox News just to shut it down out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Force Awakens rules. I'm watching it again right now. Last Jedi will probably also rule. Rian Johnson is an insanely talented guy and I've heard it compared to The Empire Strikes Back which is basically the highest praise you can give a movie in my mind. I can't wait to see it in a few hours!

It's a good movie, I liked it. It's clearly doing a lot of the same poo poo that ESB did but it inverts a lot of those structural similarities in interesting ways that the last movie didn't. The movie is very weirdly paced, however, and there are a bunch of somewhat large leaps of logic which means nerds are gonna tear it apart.

Tell you what though.

Mark Hamill is loving amazing in it.

• Locked thread