Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

generatrix posted:

Fundamental defense will help, as will injecting a bit of fun into your rolls. My advice for getting past the blue belt blues is a two part plan:
1. Keep defense simple and fundamental. Work on really low-level anti-smashing stuff like always being on your side. Don’t think about the whole escape, just be the best you can at step one first.
2. For offense, work on something stupid. Like, really stupid, but fun. Hunt for that gogoplata, or tornado guard sweep, or reverse-mount toe-hold, or cartwheel pass. Something low percentage but really fun. Purposefully doing something silly can pretty drastically raise your spirits, and if it fails it’s no big deal.

Genatrix thanks!

Lately all I've been doing is a lot of guard stuff: deep half and z guard and working on some sweeps from both. Its all been defensive. I've been wanting to play with omoplata more so I might work on that on the offensive side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

After tonight's gi class, I am of the opinion that BJJ should only be a winter sport.

That is all.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Patrovsky posted:

After tonight's gi class, I am of the opinion that BJJ should only be a winter sport.

That is all.

Haha generally I've gotten quite warm by the time the warm ups done. Its motivation to keep moving.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Haha generally I've gotten quite warm by the time the warm ups done. Its motivation to keep moving.

:thunk:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I live in a place which has one of the world's widest annual temperature ranges from super hot to super cold. The only month of the year in which BJJ isn't great fun is Smarch, because it doesn't exist.

Though I'd rather have a too-warm club than a too-cold club, because my muscles get tight if I can't stay warm during demos and instruction.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
used to do judo in arizona and in the summer the gym would be 95f/35c. my gi would weigh twice as much at the end of the session

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Do you guys like training in the Gi more or No Gi? My academy does both but I like training in the Gi more.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Do you guys like training in the Gi more or No Gi? My academy does both but I like training in the Gi more.

I don't feel the Gi represents the streets well enough, and I am training for self defence (or even on the odd occasion self offence because a good offence is a good defence, pre emtive strike, etc etc am i rite guys?!)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I don't feel the Gi represents the streets well enough

You're totally right because no one ever wears a jacket....

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

I don't want my kung fu moves relying on bad guys wearing the right clothes.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Or a T-shirt. For example a cross collar chokes can be applied to any loose garment.

willie_dee posted:

I don't want my kung fu moves relying on bad guys wearing the right clothes.

This is what I mean. If anything, training in the Gi gives you options improvising no matter what your opponent is wearing.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I like to prepare to fight naked. For... reasons.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I don't want to debate with noted combat expert and aspiring vigilante Willie, but one does not have to be reliant on grips when training in gi. If you're at all a thinking person you can figure out how to apply your jiu jitsu in gi or no gi situations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
If I wanted to think I wouldn't be fighting

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

The only clothing any Jiujitero worth their salt wears is the Gi for walking around wear, a three piece suit for formal wear, and speedos for the beach or pool.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

willie_dee posted:

If I wanted to think I wouldn't be fighting

Which is probably why you're not a good fighter

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

Which is probably why you're not a good fighter

Owch, that hurts more than any punch I have taken.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Sick tip 4 tha streetz: gi moves also work by grabbing handfuls of skin

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

I don't want to debate with noted combat expert and aspiring vigilante Willie, but one does not have to be reliant on grips when training in gi. If you're at all a thinking person you can figure out how to apply your jiu jitsu in gi or no gi situations.

So essentially, anything you can do outside of the gi you can do in the gi but it doesnt work that way vice versa.

I have a friend that trains no gi exclusively out in Vegas and he was in town last week training with me and he reaffirmed how much he hates the gi. It seems people that train in the Gi dont really mind but people that train No Gi exclusively hate the Gi. Not sure why :raise:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

It seems people that train in the Gi dont really mind but people that train No Gi exclusively hate the Gi. Not sure why :raise:

Probably because spandex looks less silly than pajamas.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

KildarX posted:

Probably because spandex looks less silly than pajamas.

I can't imagine being seen by the girls in my gym in pyjamas, I look daft enough in a rash guard getting my rear end kicked, and there's always an audience as about 60 treadmills are pointed at the ring and cage.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

So essentially, anything you can do outside of the gi you can do in the gi but it doesnt work that way vice versa.

I have a friend that trains no gi exclusively out in Vegas and he was in town last week training with me and he reaffirmed how much he hates the gi. It seems people that train in the Gi dont really mind but people that train No Gi exclusively hate the Gi. Not sure why :raise:

I don't mind either, But much prefer doing no-gi as the techniques mostly don't rely on chokes that require tightening the lapels around your neck. Also, my fingers don't hurt as much.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

I can't imagine being seen by the girls in my gym in pyjamas, I look daft enough in a rash guard getting my rear end kicked, and there's always an audience as about 60 treadmills are pointed at the ring and cage.

are you in a YMCA fight club or something

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Not really. There's a ton of no-gi stuff that really doesn't work in gi because of the way people can grab and control you.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

That's not really true. They're very different games, there's a lot less control in no gi. People who like to move a lot tend to prefer no gi though.

What gym does your friend train at?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I can snake tons of strangles in no-gi that I can't do in the same way while wearing sleeves.

Really, "for the streets" is a stupid criterion. I had some people asking me about this the other day - if someone "grabbed me" or "cornered me" and I couldn't just separate and run (i.e. the contrived "if you really 100% had to fight" question), I'd probably not start with pure grappling. Gi/no-gi is probably the smallest of all possible differences between training conditions and self-defense.

Gi is fun. No-gi is fun. Which do I prefer? Well what's on tonight?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

fight club is a work of satire, willie dee

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Odddzy posted:

I don't mind either, But much prefer doing no-gi as the techniques mostly don't rely on chokes that require tightening the lapels around your neck. Also, my fingers don't hurt as much.

You're doing gi wrong if you think that the techniques mostly require lapel strangles or collar sleeve grip.

I play my gi game much like my no gi game there's just more control and more ways to manipulate your opponents limbs and strangle them.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

JaySB posted:

You're doing gi wrong if you think that the techniques mostly require lapel strangles or collar sleeve grip.

I play my gi game much like my no gi game there's just more control and more ways to manipulate your opponents limbs and strangle them.

I broke my hand two years back and lost a lot of sensitivity in it for a year or so and lots of chokes you do in the Gi I couldn't do anymore because I couldn't grip lapels properly whereas nogi chokes that can work with gable grips and the like work fine with that hand. If you don't have strong fingers it can be a drag to do Gi chokes that require the lapels. hence my comment on how it's harder on the fingers. I'm not saying nor have I ever said that Gi only uses the lapels but you'd be quite handicapped if you couldn't ever use them to attack.

To add to my point, some important and effective chokes are impossible to do if you're used to the lapels (X-choke, bow and arrow) but do No-gi.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 30, 2018

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlCZ2xqReLU

FWIW

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

That's not really true. They're very different games, there's a lot less control in no gi. People who like to move a lot tend to prefer no gi though.

What gym does your friend train at?

He trained at Ronin under Profressor Coll and now runs a studio that will be opening a new location called Battleborn.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

fight club is a work of satire, willie dee

My black eye says otherwise.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

But you can also win Mundials with nothing but cross collar chokes.

If you're literally the GOAT

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you are training to learn how to win street fights, you are not training for the right reasons lmfao.

In fact, if your thoughts are focused on how to beat up strangers, you probably need therapy.

If you are getting into lots of street fights, maybe you should try and change that environment rather than continue to put yourself into dangerous situations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hi liter posted:

If you are training to learn how to win street fights, you are not training for the right reasons lmfao.

In fact, if your thoughts are focused on how to beat up strangers, you probably need therapy.

If you are getting into lots of street fights, maybe you should try and change that environment rather than continue to put yourself into dangerous situations.

No - double down and start more fights to prove how manly you are.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CommonShore posted:

No - double down and start more fights to prove how manly you are.

You can't get better at fighting without fighting, that's just a universal truth

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol@anyone who has ever trained and not had multiple thoughts a day about what they would do in a self defense situation

Like it’s dumb as gently caress but quit lyin’ dudes, it’s a thing

Doubly serious point, lol if you need to defend yourself and don’t just buy a gun

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kilometers Davis posted:

lol@anyone who has ever trained and not had multiple thoughts a day about what they would do in a self defense situation

Like it’s dumb as gently caress but quit lyin’ dudes, it’s a thing

Doubly serious point, lol if you need to defend yourself and don’t just buy a gun

Just buy running shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Just buy running shoes.
Why not both?