Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This stupid Disney buyout of Fox is delaying the job I was celebrating in here yesterday. I dislike it greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

lol fox sports 1 can't catch a break

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FizFashizzle posted:

Happy five year sandy hook anniversary

Put your false flags at half mast

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Disney/Fox merger is the beginnings of the broadcast rights bubble bursting. I've seen a lot of talk focusing on the movie aspect of it in articles, but the reality is with subscriptions dropping, ESPN isn't the cash cow it was for Disney anymore. By acquiring Fox, they're eliminating a rival bidder next time contracts come up.

I'm also getting tired of the fracture that's happening in streaming services. If not for costs, for having to remember which app has what. Instead of offering all the content in the world easily, these morons are going to push people to piracy again.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uIkxhUyBZE

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Neil Armbong posted:

Disney/Fox merger is the beginnings of the broadcast rights bubble bursting. I've seen a lot of talk focusing on the movie aspect of it in articles, but the reality is with subscriptions dropping, ESPN isn't the cash cow it was for Disney anymore. By acquiring Fox, they're eliminating a rival bidder next time contracts come up.

I'm also getting tired of the fracture that's happening in streaming services. If not for costs, for having to remember which app has what. Instead of offering all the content in the world easily, these morons are going to push people to piracy again.

I haven't had time to read any details on this due to work, but did they get Fox Sports too? I thought it was just movies and television media (outside of News and Sports).

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

pubic works project posted:

I haven't had time to read any details on this due to work, but did they get Fox Sports too? I thought it was just movies and television media (outside of News and Sports).

New York Times posted:

Regional sports networks to bolster ESPN
Fox will bring its collection of regional sports networks to the table, including the YES Network that carries New York Yankees games, helping to fortify ESPN and its streaming service.

Fox’s sports channels often hold exclusive rights to broadcast local professional and college games in the United States. The channels also have deals with teams from Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League.
That has proved lucrative for the company, drawing advertising revenue.

ESPN has struggled this year, with 1.4 million cable subscribers abandoning its flagship channel, taking away tens of millions of dollars in revenue. The network has tried to attract more local viewership and to re-engage fans lost to video clips on their mobile devices.

Sounds like they got everything but FS1.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Nick Saban got like 20000 write-in votes in the election.

The hell of it is he's a way better choice than Roy Moore.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Nick Saban got like 20000 write-in votes in the election.

The hell of it is he's a way better choice than Roy Moore.

Jones won by around 20,000 votes too lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Neil Armbong posted:

Well then it's a good thing ISPs will be able to completely block torrent traffic soon

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Well then it's a good thing ISPs will be able to completely block torrent traffic soon

Oh hey, and the biggest ones also own media companies. I'm shocked they're pushing so hard to be able to downgrade service to competitors!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It'll be fun to tell "back in my day" stories to my grandkids about the Internet, only to realize they think I'm a crazy old coot because nobody has computers or power or water anymore due the United States of Disney only dispensing credits to the most upstanding citizens

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Alaois posted:

every language should be like German where there are 9 million tenses that don't make any sense

to be fair, they make sense, they're just unnecessary

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

net neutrality will be campaigned on in 2020 and made a law in 2021. I hope we nationalize the entire internet infrastructure and treat it as a regulated utility at that point.

vote for butt stuff, 2024.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

net neutrality will be campaigned on in 2020 and made a law in 2021. I hope we nationalize the entire internet infrastructure and treat it as a regulated utility at that point.

i vote for butt stuff now tbh

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Butt stuff is an Inalienable Right

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So in effect, ESPN now owns all the fox sports regional networks which is where fox sports gets most of its revenue right?

Lol Colin Cowherd, Jason Whitlock, and Skip Bayless

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
gently caress this stupid rear end poo poo country

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Ajit Pai has a v punchable face. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the alt-right to start crowing about censorship when their live streams and youtube videos load/stream like poo poo.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Neil Armbong posted:

Ajit Pai has a v punchable face. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the alt-right to start crowing about censorship when their live streams and youtube videos load/stream like poo poo.

It will be Obama's fault.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

It will be Obama's fault.

I mean, that's who nominated him on Mitch McConnell's recommendation.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Kalli posted:

And four Democrats voted for him. He wouldn't have been appointed otherwise.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Joey Freshwater I was going to respond to this in the Chicago thread where it was originally posted but no one there would have any idea what I'm talking about :

Joey Freshwater posted:

Gonna have a lot of firsts this weekend that i'm pretty excited about. The gf and I are going to go to Eataly, which I've never been, try to go to the Christkindlemart, which I've never been, and then top off the night with Second City's holiday show (which I've never been to second city)
Does Eataly serve gluten-free?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Kalli posted:

Hot Diggity! posted:

And four Democrats voted for him. He wouldn't have been appointed otherwise.

It's pathological with you two. The law mandates that the FCC has equal representation from the two parties.

But yeah, blame the guy whose appointee did the exact opposite.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
A convenient list of folks to guillotine

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7xwknx/republican-members-of-congress-fcc-letter

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Shangri-Law School posted:

It's pathological with you two. The law mandates that the FCC has equal representation from the two parties.

But yeah, blame the guy whose appointee did the exact opposite.

I'm well aware of the law but a loving kindergartner could have seen that accepting McConnell's recommendation of a former associate general counsel at Verizon would lead to repeal. There was zero reason to vote for him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

piss tape israel posted:

Joey Freshwater I was going to respond to this in the Chicago thread where it was originally posted but no one there would have any idea what I'm talking about :
Does Eataly serve gluten-free?

Hahah I was so loving confused when I saw my quote highlighted because of SALR. "I thought I posted that in the Chicago thread"

Good news she decided that whatever is making her not feel good is NOT gluten, so we're good to go. Although I'm sure they do serve gluten free stuff. I know they have a bunch of cheeses etc.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

Good news she decided that whatever is making her not feel good is NOT gluten, so we're good to go. Although I'm sure they do serve gluten free stuff. I know they have a bunch of cheeses etc.
Yeah, pretty much all restaurants these days have a handful of gluten-free items. I've never been to Eataly but have heard nothing but good things.

On a different note:

https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/941105869302808576

hosed up but true

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm well aware of the law but a loving kindergartner could have seen that accepting McConnell's recommendation of a former associate general counsel at Verizon would lead to repeal. There was zero reason to vote for him.

That's a lot of blame to expend against four Democrats rather than 48 Republicans and the Republican President who elevated Pai to Commissioner. And none of this would have been a problem if we'd elected the candidate explicitly dedicated to net neutrality.

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'll try to see if my city can create its own broadband network. The cities will have to provide what the federal government will not.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I hope that Google Fiber poo poo takes off (lol)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Iirc it was in exchange for something that McConnell backed out of because he’s a piece of poo poo.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

That's a lot of blame to expend against four Democrats rather than 48 Republicans and the Republican President who elevated Pai to Commissioner. And none of this would have been a problem if we'd elected the candidate explicitly dedicated to net neutrality.

I'll try to see if my city can create its own broadband network. The cities will have to provide what the federal government will not.

You know that Republicans are going to sell you out. Democrats who do deserve to be called out. But hey you're right if Democrats didn't choose a lovely candidate we wouldn't be in this mess.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd rather blame the 4 spineless democrats because they're pretending to be on my side. I know the Republicans are my enemy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I think we can all agree, then, that getting rid of the unambiguous enemy is a good way to proceed.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Going from elation over Moore losing to complete rage over the death of Net Neutrality is quite the rollercoaster

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

My hot take is that net neutrality would have been abolished at this point regardless of who Obama appointed five years ago.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i found a guitar

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

piss tape israel posted:

Going from elation over Moore losing to complete rage over the death of Net Neutrality is quite the rollercoaster

wait until the final tax bill passes next week

the posturing right now by rubio, etc doesn't mean poo poo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I believe net neutrality is a very good thing that eventually we will get back, but in the grand order of problems facing this country it is way down on the list. Out of the whole history of the internet we had net neutrality effectively for two years and yet the world has keep on spinning. But of course it's a nerdy white problem so we here a lot more about that than income inequality or other real problems.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

^it can very easily become a poor people problem

I think we can all agree, then, that getting rid of the unambiguous enemy is a good way to proceed.

Exactly. Now that we know which Dems are awful, we can finally elect decent people to replace them.

• Locked thread