Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thundercracker posted:

How good is the Charge Axe/Blade this time around? I loved it in MHX, but it really seemed like there was one combo loop (red charged spin spin, into a single charge super hit) that was worthwhile. Everything else was getting the CB up to the red charge. Have they made more options for it this time around?

There's more maintenance now (you have to charge the sword in addition to the shield, to make the sword do elemental/impact hits too) and a couple new moves, but UAEDs no longer eat charged shield/sword anymore, just the phials, so the entire goal is to do those still, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Digirat posted:

Can dual swords turn during a combo? That's what really gets me. I tried the insect glaive for the first time and liked it except for the fact that there's no way to change direction while its combos strongly carry it forward, which meant if I ever slid past the monster I'd have to just stop the combo entirely unlike every other game I've ever played where you can just turn during or between swings. I think I don't remember this much because I mained the switch axe in tri, which has no combos that carry it forward and therefore less need to turn

I'd like to elaborate further on this idea, as it's a HUGE part of the game. See, in Monster Hunter the rigidity of the combo system is a very intentional part of the design. To understand why, we need to understand how monsters take damage. As you know, monsters have areas where they take more or less damage. What I think a lot of people don't realize is how MUCH more damage a weak zone will take over a tougher spot. For instance, if you are hitting Rathalos in the head vs the feet, you could be doing literally nine or ten times more damage. That is by FAR the most insane damage multiplier you are ever going to get in the game. So hitting those weak points is extremely important and Capcom intentionally makes it hard for you to do so consistently. This is where weapon complexity comes in. Weapons in MH are not like weapons in a Souls game. Not even Bloodborne's trick weapons approach a MH weapon's complexity. They are more like a character in a fighting game. They have long movelists, strings, cancels, gauges, and more.

All of this is designed to allow the player to express skill with the weapon itself, not just skill at playing the game (Souls of course does this as well, just to a much lesser extent). That brings us back to weakpoints, in-combo movement, and facing rigidity. These are all intentional to force you to essentially git gud. For example, talking about the Insect Glaive. You've just mounted the monster and gotten a knockdown, time to go whack that fucker in the face! However, if you just mash either Triangle or heaven forbid Circle, you are going to go flying off into the distance in short order and most of your poo poo is going to land on tougher areas or whiff entirely. However, if you understand the full toolbox of the Glaive, then you can be a lot more effective. Going back to our downed monster, if you run up to it and do triangle, triangle, circle, you've just done a combo that is much, much more stationary. You should be able to cycle that combo for a few rotations and stay largely on target. If you get off axis or pushed past the monster for some reason, you can hit back + circle at any point in that combo and you'll do a spinning backwards flip slash. This will reposition you significantly and let you resume your combo. And that's just the basics, there's much more optimization that you could do in our example. You could open with forward + circle for a strong forward slam with a lot of forward movement to squeeze in a little more damage in your burst window. You could incorporate R2 into the combo, which would perform a marking swing that would cause your bug to begin attacking the monster as well (this is a huge mechanic in World because bug attacks on a marked target leave little smaller bug clouds behind that do extra damage if you hit them with a melee attack). And it goes on.

All of that being said, World has made major QoL changes in this area. As I mentioned before, both Sword & Shield and Dual Swords have simple to access moves that allow for instant mid-combo facing changes. They have also greatly expanded access to the universal repositioning mechanic: rolling. It used to be that 90% of weapons could not perform a back roll after an attack, only a side or forward roll. That has been almost universally unlocked (the animations for back rolls are quite stylish as well). Additionally, weapons like the Lance and Gunlance gained access to forward dashes, allowing them to do simple forward repositioning, a huge QoL improvement. Many other weapons and moves have been given more generous mid-combo/mid-move facing adjustments as well, such as the Gunlance being able to completely redirect its Wyvern Fire attack.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AttackBacon posted:

For instance, if you are hitting Rathalos in the head vs the feet, you could be doing literally nine or ten times more damage

Hell no, where did you get this from? The difference is more like 2x.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Charge blade sounds complicated when switch axe dished out top tier damage 24/7

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

what new things did dual swords get they seemed almost identical to me

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

lets hang out posted:

what new things did dual swords get they seemed almost identical to me

New Move: Turn Slash. Performed outside of Demon and Archdemon modes, after any attack, by pressing circle and tilting the control stick in a direction greater than 90 degrees from forward. Allows you to continue a combo in a different direction.
New Move: Demon Fangs combo. Replacing the old Demon-mode standard combo. Three button presses for 9 hits total. Demon Fangs > Twofold Demon Slash > Sixfold Demon Slash.
New Move: Fade Slash. Can only be performed in Demon-mode, immediately after Twofold Demon Slash. Combines a short movement to the left or right with an attack. Can be followed up by Rising Slash.
New Move: Blade Dance. Demon-mode Blade Dance has been replaced with a new animation and hits more. Otherwise, it's the same as the old Blade Dance.
New Move: Heavenly Blade Dance. A context-specific version of the Midair Spinning Blade Dance. Midair Spinning Blade Dance can be performed by Demon Dashing across a ledge, sliding down a slope, or running up certain walls. It becomes Heavenly Blade Dance if a monster is lined up for it.

Lunging Strike and Demon Flurry Rush become slides if performed on a slope and become wall-runs if performed near certain walls.

Lunging Strike/Demon Flurry Rush have been moved to circle. Because of this, Lunging Strike/Demon Flurry Rush are accessible at any time, after any attack except itself. Roundslash is still on circle, but is now more context-based. Roundslash can only be performed after Lunging Strike/Demon Flurry Rush or Rising Slash.

During a combo, Lunging Strike can be directed up to 90 degrees in a different direction, Demon Flurry Rush can be directed in any direction.

The old non-Demon/Archdemon alternate attack is gone and has been replaced by Roundslash.

During Roundslash, you can choose a new direction to face, including in the opposite direction.

Double Roundslash is now manually controlled. And is still only accessible in Demon/Archdemon modes. It is performed by pressing circle after a Roundslash. You can now follow up with other attacks after a Double Roundslash as well.

Move-speed is around 10% faster while in Demon-mode.

Rising Slash is faster and has a new animation while in Demon-mode.

Archdemon-mode no longer has Demon Dash, has improved roll instead.

Archdemon-mode's Demon Flurry (Blade Dance) is the same, but can no longer be canceled into Demon Flurry Rush or anything

Circle Attacks in Demon mode don’t charge up the Demon Gauge.

The normal Triangle Combo for Normal and Archdemon mode is now the Old Triangle (X input in the 3DS) move that Demon mode had.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Skinny flip thing? And the by far highest dps. Seemed unchanged to me.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
just mash, seems to work

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I want to Hunt some Monsters... :smith:

It will be here eventually.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

That's a lot of granular reading into the weapon that's explicitly buttonmash to hit poo poo. Then R2. Button mash to hit poo poo :tviv: holy shot your in supermode. Button mash to hit poo poo.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
So what's a good bread and butter combo for SA sword now? Axe is way more intuitive now that you can go into the infinite from whatever but sword get tripping me up a bit.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chekans 3 16 posted:

So what's a good bread and butter combo for SA sword now? Axe is way more intuitive now that you can go into the infinite from whatever but sword get tripping me up a bit.

Infinite triangle. Circle is for special moves like a leaping attack. Triangle til full meter then mountexplode.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ciaphas posted:

There's more maintenance now (you have to charge the sword in addition to the shield, to make the sword do elemental/impact hits too) and a couple new moves, but UAEDs no longer eat charged shield/sword anymore, just the phials, so the entire goal is to do those still, yes

How do you charge the sword for Chargeblade? I saw Gaijinhunter's old MH4U vid about Chargeblade that went into shield charging, but charging the sword was apparently not a thing at the time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

once you've charged shield, r2+O in sword to fill phials (must have energy) then during the animation hold triangle, let go of triangle when the sword pulls into the axe again and sword will be charged + condensed elemental attack (a pretty powerful vertical sword swing with explosion)

(e) and yes that is new to world

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

BMan posted:

Hell no, where did you get this from? The difference is more like 2x.

Yeah, my statement was hyperbolic in order to illustrate the importance of weakzones. For Rathalos specifically, if we use the MH Gen numbers, the difference between feet and head is ~2-2.5x depending on damage type. The exact numbers are largely irrelevant to the point I was making though. Generally yes, the difference in damage between a weakzone and a tougher spot is 2-3x. However, there are plenty of examples where it's much more extreme than that. Elemental hitzones tend to be much more extreme (4-6x) and can swing the damage of a heavy elemental weapon dramatically. They are also binary in many cases where monsters will take ZERO elemental damage in some hitzones. Higher tier monsters also tend to have more extreme hitzone differences that can often be in the 4x+ range even for physical damage types. Additionally, and this is a bit unfair since it's adding a variable, it is very possible to do 10x more damage if you take other multipliers into example. The specific instance I was thinking of when I made that statement was using a Bow vs Rathalos and hitting him in the feet outside of critical distance for 1 damage vs hitting him in the head inside of critical distance for 12. That's a 12x difference, although obviously there's extra factors that I didn't mention.

The point though is that weakzones really fuckin matter and the weapons are designed around that.

Bombadilillo posted:

Infinite triangle. Circle is for special moves like a leaping attack. Triangle til full meter then mountexplode.

The circle attacks build like 3-4x the meter that the triangle attacks do so you should mash circle first and then you can mash triangle and explode.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 14, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah, my statement was hyperbolic in order to illustrate the importance of weakzones. For Rathalos specifically, if we use the MH Gen numbers, the difference between feet and head is ~2-2.5x depending on damage type. The exact numbers are largely irrelevant to the point I was making though. Generally yes, the difference in damage between a weakzone and a tougher spot is 2-3x. However, there are plenty of examples where it's much more extreme than that. Elemental hitzones tend to be much more extreme (4-6x) and can swing the damage of a heavy elemental weapon dramatically. They are also binary in many cases where monsters will take ZERO elemental damage in some hitzones. Higher tier monsters also tend to have more extreme hitzone differences that can often be in the 4x+ range even for physical damage types. Additionally, and this is a bit unfair since it's adding a variable, it is very possible to do 10x more damage if you take other multipliers into example. The specific instance I was thinking of when I made that statement was using a Bow vs Rathalos and hitting him in the feet outside of critical distance for 1 damage vs hitting him in the head inside of critical distance for 12. That's a 12x difference, although obviously there's extra factors that I didn't mention.

The point though is that weakzones really fuckin matter and the weapons are designed around that.

It's worth pointing out that last Dark Souls 3 DLC had a very Monster Hunter boss (Darkeater Midir).

It's this huge dragon with a lot of different attack moves that are actually fairly predictable and consistent. It's also far tankier than other bosses so unlike a lot of DS bosses you can't just outdamage him and spam heals, but hitting his head deals double damage which rewards you for learning his moveset and positioning yourself in the right spot to hit its weakpoint, the same way MH does.

It's the closest thing Dark Souls had to a MH fight.

Elman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've seen people talk about solo and party quests in Monster Hunter. Are they separate progressions, or just different versions of the same hunts? I'm not quite sure how Monster Hunter works when it comes to what's the "story" part and what's the endgame/post-game part.

I'm guessing I should probably stick to one weapon type until I'm really good at it and progressed up the ranks and not waste materials crafting other things much, then experiment more in the endgame?

Hypha posted:

I used to have better videos but my Japanese sucks and the guy I used to follow got shy and deleted everything. This is basically what good evasion looks like. You can do what he is doing without the skills but it is much harder. Also it must be noted that in FU, the evasion+ skills did not give as much as they do now, so it is a lot easier now to do this.

This video was blocked in the US but I managed to find another video on this person's channel and oh man, that's some fun-looking dodging. This has me really hyped to get actually good at Monster Hunter. Like a lot of people in this thread, apparently, I bounced right off the 3DS games, but MH World's beta was a ton of fun, especially once I started doing multiplayer hunts.

Also wow that player makes the lance look fun as hell, I should've given that more time in the beta.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

I've seen people talk about solo and party quests in Monster Hunter. Are they separate progressions, or just different versions of the same hunts? I'm not quite sure how Monster Hunter works when it comes to what's the "story" part and what's the endgame/post-game part.
HISTORICALLY, they have been separate progression.

World is changing that up - now the quests are available regardless of how you play, however, there remains a distinction between solo and group difficulty. The switch is binary - solo or multi, it does not scale with more than 2 players. So you will be able to play all of the content in World solo, or multi. Your pick.

quote:

I'm guessing I should probably stick to one weapon type until I'm really good at it and progressed up the ranks and not waste materials crafting other things much, then experiment more in the endgame?
It is recommended to stick with a weapon until you're comfortable - but once you get a good feel for it, branching out becomes recommended, keeping two or three weapon classes roughly up to speed while progressing is maybe ideal. Not a requirement either way. Some people, maybe with severe time constraints, may never use more than 1 weapon class.

Learning another weapon often reveals new tricks about monsters you thought familiar, or sometimes prioritizes non-weapon tools, which might then reciprocate back on weapons/monsters you are more familiar. And wasting materials isn't a big deal. There is a sort of hard break in progression between Low and High Rank, with much of the resources you collect from Low Rank being virtually useless outside of being sold for money. Given; money is really important toward end game, but so is your experience as the player. During progression, having another weapon to fall back on can sometimes help you break some difficulty walls, as not all weapons are equally powerful against all targets, and this relative difficulty within matchups can even vary based on the player. Though note: all weapons should be quite competent at meeting every challenge.

Try not to pigeon hole yourself. Yes, just sticking with one weapon is kind of necessary to get the core mechanics, but it shouldn't take that THAT long before you explore other options. If you're only interested in progression to completion, then eh. I get not wanting to play longer than 120 hours, but weapon classes are the sort that manage to keep that 100 hour game relevant for a couple hundred hours more - and everything you learn in this title will carry nicely into whatever Capcom does with the series in the future.

It's part of why some of us were so anxious over the very very very first reveal trailer. Dramatically shaking up the core gameplay would put more than a decade of experience to waste. That the series is so consistent between releases helps drive the notion of getting better to get better, even long after you have exhausted the progression. Exploring multiple weapons further keeps that fresh, for all the other doors it opens in finding new tricks.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 14, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kiggles posted:

It is recommended to stick with a weapon until you're comfortable - but once you get a good feel for it, branching out becomes recommended, keeping two or three weapon classes roughly up to speed while progressing is maybe ideal. Not a requirement either way. Some people, maybe with severe time constraints, may never use more than 1 weapon class.

That actually helps, cool. Because there are two or three weapon classes I'm really interested in learning and getting good with, so it's good to know that it's not like I'm "playing wrong" if I delay my progression to craft more than one weapon type and keep it up-to-date. Probably going to start with switch axe and pick up the hunting horn and maybe bow once I'm comfortable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Very smart of Capcom to release on a Friday so I don't have to take a week off work.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Harrow posted:

That actually helps, cool. Because there are two or three weapon classes I'm really interested in learning and getting good with, so it's good to know that it's not like I'm "playing wrong" if I delay my progression to craft more than one weapon type and keep it up-to-date. Probably going to start with switch axe and pick up the hunting horn and maybe bow once I'm comfortable.

Also the cool thing is you don't have a character level, all progression is decided by your equipment. That means you could take off your high level gear and start over with a new weapon and armor if you wanna play with a friend who's new to the game. Or use certain equipment for solo play and a different set for co-op, without letting one's progress impact the other.

No respeccing, no juggling multiple characters, you just play the game.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Single player (also known as village quests) was where the story for the game took place. Story was often just, you're a rookie Hunter and this village is having a problem with a monster. Talk to the village chief to learn more.

Multiplayer quests (or guild quests) were pretty much the same as village but with beefed up hp. Story was pretty much non-existent. Think of the guild in monster hunter as the sort of central government when it comes to hunting monsters. They control all aspects of hunters and are usually the one to send the rookie player character to a village to deal with a threat.

They combined village and guild quests in World. The story involves the guild, they set up home base in a new land so there really is no village.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What happen to your felynes, grimalkyne and friendly monster if a third player joins mid game

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Digirat posted:

What happen to your felynes, grimalkyne and friendly monster if a third player joins mid game

That is...a very good question. I haven't thought of that.

But I assume they'll just go away as soon as you shoot the flare and someone else joins.

E: but it would be nice if they waited until a third hunter joins to do that.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

When I got into MH I started with SA and never went back, its a great great choice. Its incredibly powerful without faffing about with to much complexity. It has great range (learn the upswing attack) and incredible power. In the past I have found you do want a backup.

I recommend dual blades.
1. If your SA seems too slow for a really squirrelly monster, then you want a fast weapon to switch to.
2. Elemental damage. Some monsters are really weak to certain elements and are real tough otherwise. Dual blades procs status damages really fast because you are hitting so often.
3. Its super simple
4. (pending rebalance in full game) it seemed to be the dps champ in the demo by FAR.

You can't "play wrong" The games before have been, for me, effectively infinite length, I pour a 100+ hours in and don't see nearly all the content, I am happy, and I wander away to something else. You cant fall behind the curve hunting monsters. You are just hunting more monsters! You can see the credits roll and still have tons more story, and new monsters you haven't even seen yet in the 200 more hours of content in the game.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 14, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bombadilillo posted:

When I got into MH I started with SA and never went back, its a great great choice. Its incredibly powerful without faffing about with to much complexity. It has great range (learn the upswing attack) and incredible power. In the past I have found you do want a backup.

I recommend dual blades.
1. If your SA seems too slow for a really squirrelly monster, then you want a fast weapon to switch to.
2. Elemental damage. Some monsters are really weak to certain elements and are real tough otherwise. Dual blades procs status damages really fast because you are hitting so often.
3. Its super simple
4. (pending rebalance in full game) it seemed to be the dps champ in the demo by FAR.

You can't "play wrong" The games before have been, for me, effectively infinite length, I pour a 100+ hours in and don't see nearly all the content, I am happy, and I wander away to something else. You cant fall behind the curve hunting monsters. You are just hunting more monsters!

From what I've been told, this is likely because the Dual Blades in the demo were Water element, which most (all?) of the demo monsters were weak to.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

From what I've been told, this is likely because the Dual Blades in the demo were Water element, which most (all?) of the demo monsters were weak to.
Can confirm they were weak to water based on my blowgun (just machine guns now) messing about. Still proves the that DB are great with elemental weakness.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I keep usually bare minimum 2-3 weapon classes upgraded, making one weapon of each element type for each class. So making sure to have a fire weapon, an ice weapon, a water weapon, etc for each weapon class.

Then I discover I suddenly like <another weapon class> and spend fifty hours crafting up-to-date versions of every element for it. The last MH I played was 4U, and in that I had all elemental versions of Gunlance, Insect Glaive, Dual Swords, Switch Axe, Bow & Arrow, and I think I had a few Lances, SnS’s, and Bowguns (light and heavy) thrown in there too. I fully encourage others to go as hog wild as I have.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 14, 2017

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gaijinhunter reading the latest Famitsu article on MHW. About the first half of it is the story/lore of the game and the other half is about mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWMmp2oTFRc

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Bow is good, just keep in mind most bows aren't the "ranged" weapon you'd expect them to be. The real ranged weapons are the bowguns - bows are more of a highly agile close-combat (but not too close) weapon, kinda like shotguns in many FPSes.

I haven't personally played the World beta though so maybe they massively overhauled the way bow plays.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Bow is good, just keep in mind most bows aren't the "ranged" weapon you'd expect them to be. The real ranged weapons are the bowguns - bows are more of a highly agile close-combat (but not too close) weapon, kinda like shotguns in many FPSes.

I haven't personally played the World beta though so maybe they massively overhauled the way bow plays.

It's still true, they just have a big static charge shot dragon piercer, which turns out to be their primary damage source - it's just rather high-risk high reward, so it may be more practical to use the new mobility features to stay in close, and only take the big shots on clear opportunities.

I think maybe bow is a little over reliant on the new dragon piercer, but it seems to be in a pretty good place, where you try staying close, dancing around with the new evasions/bumping up charge levels with the step dodging, and then punish with the piercer when a monster moves out of range.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Yeah, I could tell bow isn't about staying at a super-far range. I like the idea of a weapon that's all about dancing around monsters in close-mid range, peppering them with arrows, and then looking for openings to let loose with a big charged shot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kiggles posted:

It's still true, they just have a big static charge shot dragon piercer, which turns out to be their primary damage source - it's just rather high-risk high reward, so it may be more practical to use the new mobility features to stay in close, and only take the big shots on clear opportunities.

I think maybe bow is a little over reliant on the new dragon piercer, but it seems to be in a pretty good place, where you try staying close, dancing around with the new evasions/bumping up charge levels with the step dodging, and then punish with the piercer when a monster moves out of range.

It was a real eye-opener watching that video of the guy one-man bowing Diablos in the beta. After watching the "how the bow works" video and messing around in the training you assume the basic loop is "charge a shot, hit O for the bonus shot, roll into your next shot, hit O, run around waiting on stamina and repeat, dragon pierce when out of range or as a big finisher."

It's actually "roll into every shot, including your first, and dragon pierce every 10 seconds."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

Can confirm they were weak to water based on my blowgun (just machine guns now) messing about. Still proves the that DB are great with elemental weakness.

On the body parts covered in mud, Barroth is weakest to water. According to the MH wiki (which may be inaccurate) Anjanath is weak to water. Rathalos’ weaknesses have shifted around depending on the generation, but water was a weakness at one point. Diablos is weakest to Ice, but is second weakest to water. Great Jagras appears to maybe be water-resistance, but he’s the weakest anyways so whatever. The only threatening monster from the demo that doesn’t appear to be at least partially weak to water is Jyuratodus.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Huxley posted:

It's actually "roll into every shot, including your first, and dragon pierce every 10 seconds."
This is kinda what I'm thinking. Which isn't too bad, compared to the state bow used to be in.

I can actually see myself crafting a Marathon Runner+Constitution set for managing stamina, avoiding the whole Dash Juice thing. Maybe Focus if it speeds up the dragon pierce shot fire speed - doesn't look like it will help much otherwise, since you can basically burn stamina for charge levels.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Huxley posted:

It was a real eye-opener watching that video of the guy one-man bowing Diablos in the beta. After watching the "how the bow works" video and messing around in the training you assume the basic loop is "charge a shot, hit O for the bonus shot, roll into your next shot, hit O, run around waiting on stamina and repeat, dragon pierce when out of range or as a big finisher."

To be fair, I think that spamming Dragon Piercer is particularly effective against Diablos compared to other monsters. Diablos is unique in that he is particularly shaped like a +. He has a very long, rigid body, and large wings. The Dragon Piercer, as the name implies, pierces the body, and thus is most effective when you can hit long-ways through the monster. Diablos is shaped uniquely such that if you hit him not only form the front/back, but also from either side, you’ll get GREAT use out of piercing shots. Diablos also has a very limited moveset, mostly consisting of charging back and forth - with the range that Bow & Arrow provides, it conveniently puts him far away from you, directly in a straight line: perfect for piercing shots. While the B&A kill video against Diablos is impressive, I’m not super sure if spamming Dragon Piercer will be viable in general - many monsters won’t have as long of cooldown periods as Diablos does, nor will they be as big / long of targets as diablos. If your Dragon Piercer just flies through and only hits once, you very well may have dealt more damage spamming weaker attacks.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
If dash juice is still a thing I think Bow will be very powerful. You can spit out charged shots obscenely fast with the new charged dodge mechanic. You just run out of stamina super quick.

Dragon piercer will work better on larger monsters, true. But that will probably be most monsters after like 3. And pretty much all end game monsters.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Dragon piercer will work better on larger monsters, true. But that will probably be most monsters after like 3. And pretty much all end game monsters.

Most monsters will be big, yeah, but none quite as big as Diablos in his unique way. For example, Anjanath is huge, but only in one direction - if you’re standing at his side, Dragon Piercer won’t be nearly as effective as if you were standing in front or behind him. Furthermore, most monsters curve and bend a lot more than Diablos does, meaning that even if you have an opening from the front/back, you may not get all that many hits off with the Dragon Piercer. Will it be better to use it anyways compared to spamming weaker shots? Dunno, but it’s something to keep in mind.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Codfish is absolutely right in that Diablos is the perfect Dragon Piercer monster: long cooldown periods, charges carry him out of critical range of regular shots, very wide as well as very long, insanely high weakzones inside his torso, etc. Same reason Wyvernsnipe absolutely demolishes him (with good snipes hitting for ~400 damage) and piercing shots in general have always been really good vs him.

Dragon Piercer is really good but it has real limitations too. It locks your facing to a pretty narrow forward band and does not do insane damage* unless it can hit 4-5 times. Watch some footage of Tobi Kadachi or Odogaron, good luck getting great pierces off on those guys. New bow still has lots of great tools outside of it. It is super versatile and strong now. It can mount from flat ground (leaping arrow slash after a dash does mount damage), it has very high close range dps, it is one of the best KO weapons in the game, it can reliably cut tails (dragon piercerrrr), great mobility, great damage while staying mobile, can bring reliable CC (ko+coatings), it's got it all.

Don't worry about it just being All Dragon Piercer, All The Time. Even in the Diablos kill videos the guy gets plenty of charged shots on the wings. I did a (much less smooth) Diablos solo with the bow as well and I can tell you it's not as easy as it looks getting those pierces to land. Regular shots are a lot safer and a lot more reliable and still do drat good damage as long as you are getting them on weak spots. I also had some really good results using it as a KO weapon on Barroth. Specifically Barroth because arrow rain can be pretty obnoxious in group play and Barroth was the one beta monster where you didn't have melee focusing on the head. But if you get a Para off and then start doing the Arrow Rain->Power Shot->Arrow Rain combo on his face, you will get the fastest KO you have ever seen. It does a LOT of KO damage.

*It still does *good* damage even if it only hits 2-3x but it's not significantly outperforming regular shots on dps until you are up past 4 based on my vague napkin math and impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

If dash juice is still a thing I think Bow will be very powerful. You can spit out charged shots obscenely fast with the new charged dodge mechanic. You just run out of stamina super quick.

Dash juice is in the game (it was in the combine list in the beta) but we will have to see whether they changed how it works and how easy it is to obtain a consistent supply. It will be pretty insane on Bow obviously but even in beta with no bow armor skills and no dash juice the weapon felt very powerful. I was definitely playing the stamina management game but as you see in the Diablos vid, it can put up big numbers and fast kill times even without any stamina optimization. Still, I can tell you that whenever I got the Wriggly Lichi stamina buff (halves the cost of ALL stamina using actions) I felt like a loving god. Chaining like 5 evade charge shots right to a monsters dumb face, getting the para, and then dragon piercing his tail off by shooting him in the face and having it pierce his whole body is the loving best.