Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

No butt stuff!

No, butt stuff!

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/941360356408078337

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/12/14/paul-ryan-retire-speaker-ready-leave-washington-216103

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
No wonder the dead-eyed little turd is going after Medicare in an election year--he doesn't plan on running again. Coward.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

No wonder the dead-eyed little turd is going after Medicare in an election year--he doesn't plan on running again. Coward.

Makes sense. Nuke Medicaid, retire to private island where you don't have to even see any poors

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

axeil posted:

Not sure! I never did any experimental work where you mask the actual amount given, but I absolutely agree that the primary application of something like that would be to wage negotiations.

I wrote my thesis on long-run economic growth (tl;dr: having a literate population is really important) and my math thesis on sequential search optimization (tl;dr: how to Tinder correctly). If you squint the latter one is somewhat similar to what's going on with the Dictator Game but I will readily admit I am not an expert.

I've only taken a few econ courses in school, but have read several books based on D&D's recommendations.

Got any interesting ones you yourself liked? I find economics pretty fascinating but good luck trying to find someone outside of a uni who'll chat about it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Whoa

Things must be looking reeeeaaaal bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trivia posted:

I've only taken a few econ courses in school, but have read several books based on D&D's recommendations.

Got any interesting ones you yourself liked? I find economics pretty fascinating but good luck trying to find someone outside of a uni who'll chat about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Predictably-...768EY8K6EAZB515

Might be a good place to start.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Is it "retirement" or "I'm quitting my job so when the democrats win congress in 2018 its not my fault when I try to primary Pence in 2020"

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

He's the youngest Speaker of the House in 150 years and he's already washed up and retiring lol.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Also, gently caress him, torching poo poo and then loving off to a lucrative private lobbying/think tank gig or whatever

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Somewhere Boehner laughs as he polishes off his morning bottle of wine

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jack2142 posted:

Is it "retirement" or "I'm quitting my job so when the democrats win congress in 2018 its not my fault when I try to primary Pence in 2020"

What kind of political capital and good will do you think he has to run for higher price?

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
So unless another republican steps up, the race for Ryan's seat is gonna be Randy Bryce vs an alt-right pizzagater.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

axeil posted:

On a similar note, the reason most mainstream economists hate Austrians is because they don't understand what their only real contribution to the social science was. Well that, and them not believing in empirical data. One of their school members (can't recall whom) wrote a paper that argued from an efficiency standpoint a command economy can never match the market efficiency of a free market economy from a purely mathematical angle. This was the first paper that actually proved this from a mathematical standpoint, which was impressive and interesting but ultimately had no real policy implications except "don't be a command economy". Additionally, the notion of externalities (unstated costs/benefits from economic activity) was not well-known at the time and were not considered, only pure efficiency. It is still an open question if completely free markets are superior in efficiency if you are optimizing for other conditions as well (i.e. minimization of negative externalities, minimizing GINI coefficients, etc.)

Are you talking about the economic calculation problem?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa

The little poo poo sees which way the political winds are blowing. He knows the HFC is a political disaster and that Trump is not long for Washington. Time to bail as a "principled" conservative lol, so he can try to run for Senate or President in 2020.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trivia posted:

How does the dictator game play out when the approver doesn't know the total amount of money being negotiated? Or, only knows a basic range?

I don't know the answer to your question either, but I believe that would be called an ultimatum game with incomplete information.

My favorite variant of this is the pirate's game, which involves multiple players and the dictator dies if their offer is rejected.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
:siren:Net neutrality repealed:siren:

This sucks but it might be a good thing if the dems can adopt it as a core principle moving forward. Mobilize the internet-saavy vote a bit more?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Well Net Neutrality is dead for now. I hope that I can still access yankie content without paying extra. Fix your loving country.

They took the vote? I hope the litigation starts almost immediately and descends on the FCC like a hammer (or a guillotine).

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

mango sentinel posted:

What kind of political capital and good will do you think he has to run for higher price?

I was the last Republican Speaker of the house to pass major (dogshit) legislation? and see Donors I did your bidding and I don't have the stink of Russia on me!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa

indeed. it seems they know shits gonna get bad now.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Looks like the GOP is going to be making a kamikaze run at Medicare and Medicaid next year.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa

Yeah with all the high level retirements from seasoned staff their internals must be insanely bad.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Its gonna be tied up in courts for years. I hope Ajit gets hit my a meteor.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nothus posted:

Looks like the GOP is going to be making a kamikaze run at Medicare and Medicaid next year.

Yeah it looks like we’re seeing the worst case scenario: the Rs decide they have nothing to lose and try to just pass everything on their wishlist before they get booted out.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the tax plan passed post haste before the end of the year.

Also lmao net neutrality is never coming back, rip the internet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"on the advice of security we need to take a brief recess"

Huh

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Advice of security need to take a recess?????

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"on the advice of security we need to take a brief recess"

Huh

I'm guessing an idiot called in a bomb threat

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cr0y posted:

Its gonna be tied up in courts for years. I hope Ajit gets hit my a meteor.

how would that work? could it just be in limbo and then get struck down sometime after?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

holy poo poo :stare:

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Duke Igthorn posted:

I just wanted to point out that someone set this fantastic lady up a Gofundme if you still have a Christmas charity left

:20bux: from me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paul Ryan is the future of the Republican party. He is the wonk wunderkind and math genius. He always tells it like it is and never skips leg day.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/941364673622040578

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

how would that work? could it just be in limbo and then get struck down sometime after?

my armchair lawyering says that it'll be challenged and the plaintiffs will ask for a stay on rolling back the regulations until the court can determine whether the repeal was legal. reaching a final decision on the merits takes a while

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DLC Inc posted:

Hypothetically if we’re lucky, it’s held up on court charges until a Dem administration reverses it.

I don’t think they’ll be able to tie it up in court for that long though and once it goes through the telecoms will never let it come back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The 4chan uprising is finally happening

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

this evacuation is a false flag

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

axeil posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

:stare: oh my god, is that... is that IRONSTACHE’S MUSIC?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ahahahahahahaha

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Bringing in a k9 team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturo Ui