Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

wit posted:

Make uniforms for winter, summer and battles. Saves on their wear and tear too and you can change people up really quickly.

I did, and when the pop was below 10 it wasn't thaaaaat big a deal, but when you get to 15+ people it's a hell of a lot of clicking, it stopped being fun :shrug:

Day 10: AAAAAA

TheDK posted:

I bet you'll still be able to manage it since it looks like deep water movement speed is 4.2%.

I'm picturing a group of angry raiders swimming ever slowly towards your base while your colonists patiently pick them off in the water. Post your careful shooters up on the river bank and let em rip.

As it turns out they strongly prefer to stay on land, so as long as there's a walkable path they'll use it, which means eventually I can legit build the same thing. I'm OK with that.

e: Since I have no steel whatsoever (started with nothing) I can't build any heavy bridges until I'm lucky enough to get a trader that has some and I have something they want, or a ship chunk crashes somewhere I can reach, so I'm stuck up here in the Northeast corner for a while :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
How do you go about finding the right spot for your first 'building'? And along those same lines how do you determine the layout? The thing I struggle with most in this game is getting over the initial hump of trying to build a functional early-game base.

Yours always look so organized and planned and make me feel inadequate.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TheDK posted:

How do you go about finding the right spot for your first 'building'? And along those same lines how do you determine the layout? The thing I struggle with most in this game is getting over the initial hump of trying to build a functional early-game base.

the game is actually a lot more fun when you're failing. when you 'figure things out' it gets less fun. just experiment!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My starts usually focus on finding an open structure I can just stick a door on or whatever to make a building then build a shanty town around that. My bases are not pretty but they are functional, mostly.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i posted this a while back and i think some newbies found it helpful, it's my starting play:

1. pick a spot that is hopefully defensible at least on one side
2. lay out a roofed storage zone that can accommodate everything (6*6 is usually good, with a separate zone for raw materials, chunks and stone blocks since they don't need to be roofed)
3. set all pawns to do nothing but priority 1 haul until they can get the food and meds into the shade
4. build pawns+1 number of beds
5. plant a 10*10 potato field ASAP
6. dig out and power an 11*11 fridge
7. set up a kitchen connected to the fridge
8. set up a dining room/rec room connected to the kitchen (two entrances, one only from the kitchen, and a zone for Just Meals ensures your filthy pawns don't track in mud to the whole fridge)
9. get pawns individual bedrooms
10. dig out and fit a crafting/research room

...all the while working on a 2x wide stone border wall

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TheDK posted:

My strategy is to board up an abandoned building nearby for the first night then expand from there. By year three I go "oh, oh gently caress this was a bad place."

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

TheDK posted:

Depends on the environment. If you are going to be needing geothermal power, then take that into consideration. If i'm not going to be building into rock, i at least want a source of it nearby or to be used as natural walls. I'll use any building or wood shack to start, while using the planning tool to plan out the full base.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

TheDK posted:

Haha me? I pretty much build to the land, my colonies are not that well planned out. Even if they look nice sometimes there are really serious efficiency problems like having residences too far from the main entrance so it takes a long time to scramble defenders, or having too big a distance between materials stockpiles and the work area, or food storage too far from farm areas.

If you're playing on a mountain map or (very non-standard) island map like I'm doing lately, you're pretty well going to build where there's suitable land, it's the flat maps where you can build literally anywhere that baffle me. In the case of this map I literally don't have any choice where to build because I just have this small island land area and don't have resources to get out to the big island in the center (where I want to go eventually) so that makes it easier to decide:

wit posted:

My strategy is to board up an abandoned building nearby for the first night then expand from there. By year three I go "oh, oh gently caress this was a bad place."

this guy gets it

e: of course if you have NO RUINS like a real boss, you maybe have to sleep outside for a couple days

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
so i survived a full year for the first time and I'm kind of at a loss of what to do

I have 8 happy villagers, a nice dining and rec room, tons of farmland, and one of each production room. also built a big wall so that there's only a single chokepoint to defend when raids come. right now I'm working on art pieces for each bedroom and getting research done but both of those things are going super slowly

what should my next steps be?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Turn all your dudes into androids via bionics, send caravans to raid enemy holdings, build spaceship.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

little munchkin posted:

so i survived a full year for the first time and I'm kind of at a loss of what to do

I have 8 happy villagers, a nice dining and rec room, tons of farmland, and one of each production room. also built a big wall so that there's only a single chokepoint to defend when raids come. right now I'm working on art pieces for each bedroom and getting research done but both of those things are going super slowly

depends on the end goal. are you looking to launch the spaceship, get to the AI, or just build a big colony?

the answer is almost always "research" until you have deep drilling to deal with the inevitable metal shortage

bear in mind that drop pods can drop behind that wall you built so don't get too comfortable

edit: get some devilstrand going too

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 14, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What's the mod that lets you replace walls? I tossed up wood walls to get my colony started because it's a rainforest and you can't turn around without tripping over a tree and spending five minutes cutting it down. Now I want to reduce the potential for massive carnage by taking down the fire hazards my pawns call walls but screw doing it manually.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

What's the mod that lets you replace walls? I tossed up wood walls to get my colony started because it's a rainforest and you can't turn around without tripping over a tree and spending five minutes cutting it down. Now I want to reduce the potential for massive carnage by taking down the fire hazards my pawns call walls but screw doing it manually.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936562361

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks, I was looking for that!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

little munchkin posted:

Be nice to the locals, get someone to tame some muffalo or other hauling animals then get a caravan going to your local town with your most social colonist even if its a bronze age tribe. I think they restock every other season and should have bits and bobs you're after. Plan a caravan at dawn so they don't spend half the night setting it up then go and rest as soon as they're on the road. Look for a brownish speckled type of ore on the hills and stuff because compacted components are best mined or bought, they cost tonnes of steel later to make. Never trade your components and try to keep like 10 spare at all times for repair. Beer or drugs are good things to research, everyone wants booze and if you focus on that you have a license to print your own money. Art is great to sell if you have a great artist, but beers are good for the chump change to squeeze a town dry of money. A decent large art piece can get you about 10 components. And don't forget if you buy livestock from another town they will need food and stuff extra on the way back. And never go out in a caravan when its winter, a cold snap can keep your traders on the road for a week and they might starve to death out there. If you want to do trading beer and packaged survival meals are great research.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
If you find yourself with excess food, make packaged survival meals (even though they're less efficient).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm bummed out, that swimming mod isn't working :argh:

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
First time playing after a one year pause.
Colony gets wrecked by a combination of 2 manhunting hares and a ostrich and mental breaks on the first month.
:argh:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I wish you could queue up entire outfits in the tailor bench. Any mods that let you do that?

Also, devilstrand takes way too long to grow in my boreal forest game. I have been dropping colonists like flies. Medieval Times also means that I have to fight fully armored knights while I have nothing. Can anyone point out a quick guide to making armor? I don't even know how to get hand tools to make the crafting bench.

Here's my base. Tell me what you think.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TropicalCoke posted:

I wish you could queue up entire outfits in the tailor bench. Any mods that let you do that?

Also, devilstrand takes way too long to grow in my boreal forest game. I have been dropping colonists like flies. Medieval Times also means that I have to fight fully armored knights while I have nothing. Can anyone point out a quick guide to making armor? I don't even know how to get hand tools to make the crafting bench.

Devilstand deliberately takes long to grow. As for outfits you could tweak the bills by saying make a parka of goatleather then pants of cloth but only from materials in a small radius. of the table and make specific storage square for them. Watch this for the stool trick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNgseXjUbyo&t=489s. He takes way too long to explain it but its clearer than if I tried to type it out.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

TropicalCoke posted:

Your solar panel/wind turbine setup is driving me insane.

You need a heated room with a dirt floor and a sunlamp to grow devilstrand where you are. Good news is since it's such a slow grower you can set this up pretty far away from your base and just forget about it. Your guys will only rarely have to actually walk out there. Raiders don't tend to attack structures like that. Just make sure you've got some redundant wires going out there in case some get destroyed.

It takes a whole ton of power though, so be sure you can afford it. Double thick walls are perfect insulators, unless they changed something since I last read about it. You'll still lose heat through the roof so you might need a couple heaters if you're setting up a big devilstrand house.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I think you get hand tools through a bill at the blacksmith forge.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

Speaking of weak points, if you have a map that swings from really really hot to really really cold, that is incredibly loving annoying, you have to micromanage people's outfits every season. I have pools of both warm and cold weather gear but many of them just won't change clothes unless forced :shrug:

I just set up two clothing sets, one for winter, with stuff like parkas and winter cloaks, and one for summer, with dusters and summer capes, then swap everyone over come spring and fall. Annoying that you have to do each person separately rather then group them up and do several at a time, but better that then having to haul people to the med bay every 5 minutes.

TropicalCoke posted:

Hand tools and medieval armour are both made in the blacksmith's forge.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 14, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I've always been a fan of having one common hallway with heaters/coolers, with vents into every room to control the temperature. I think that's my biggest OCD thing with rimworld bases. Here is my current tundra base in progress.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Eltoasto posted:

I've always been a fan of having one common hallway with heaters/coolers, with vents into every room to control the temperature. I think that's my biggest OCD thing with rimworld bases. Here is my current tundra base in progress.

Just FYI, butcher's tables have a passive uncleanliness penalty to them, so putting one in your freezer will mean it's always considered at least a little dirty, which raises your food poisoning chances a bit. If you You can negate it by making a 2x3 butcher's nook in the freezer with a permanently open door, so the table's considered to be in a different room than the freezer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

I just set up two clothing sets, one for winter, with stuff like parkas and winter cloaks, and one for summer, with dusters and summer capes, then swap everyone over come spring and fall. Annoying that you have to do each person separately rather then group them up and do several at a time, but better that then having to haul people to the med bay every 5 minutes.

Exactly, that's the not-fun part. It can work but it's really tedious to manually do a shitload of clicking every few minutes and I like having a high population so it only gets worse :shrug:

Re: dealing with Medieval Times raiders, make some traps, kill some and use their poo poo until you can make better poo poo. I also kind of recommend the mending mod because stuff falls apart so fast, although Medieval Times has an "endgame" path to making indestructible gear or you can simply trade for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's my nemesis!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
with regard to devilstrand, almost regardless of your map you want to put it in a heated greenhouse. this means sunlamp and heater on a dirt floor. even in very warm maps near the equator, a cold snap in a seasonal winter will definitely get cold enough to kill the mushrooms at basically the worst time. trust me, even if you are looking at a 10C 'winter', a cold snap WILL happen in the first winter, and it WILL get down to -5 or -10, which WILL kill your 80-some odd percent mature mushrooms. it SUCKS and is one of the most demoralizing things in the game that doesn't involve combat. the only time i would pass on that is if your biome has permanent summer.

that said, if you are running medieval times, there might not be a compelling reason to grow devilstrand. the attraction for devilstrand in vanilla is that if you make high quality clothing from the resultant thread, it makes for great, long-lasting armor that can be worn every day. medieval times adding in a lot of other protective gear might supplant that particular niche. if you can wear a mail hauberk every day and not have huge penalties to your move or work speed, well, i'd probably just do that instead of establishing devilstrand operations.

i do not know the particulars of medieval times gear though, so i can't say that for sure.

Eltoasto posted:

have you considered putting a stone door on the outer retaining walls? you have the space for it, and you can 'hold open' the door so it does not slow down pawns. i like to do that a lot as it basically turns into a vault door that you can slam shut in case of manhunters, raiders, or fire.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Coolguye posted:

have you considered putting a stone door on the outer retaining walls? you have the space for it, and you can 'hold open' the door so it does not slow down pawns. i like to do that a lot as it basically turns into a vault door that you can slam shut in case of manhunters, raiders, or fire.

I will eventually, yeah, this base is a year or so in, so stone has been limited. In fact, when I went slate mining, the first thing I did was accidentally uncover a cave filled with an infestation, fun!

Good tip about the butcher block though, will have to do that.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

TropicalCoke posted:

Does having the solar panels and wind turbines next to each other like that make the wind less efficient? I always thought they needed clear space to operate to the max.

boar guy posted:

i posted this a while back and i think some newbies found it helpful, it's my starting play:

1. pick a spot that is hopefully defensible at least on one side
2. lay out a roofed storage zone that can accommodate everything (6*6 is usually good, with a separate zone for raw materials, chunks and stone blocks since they don't need to be roofed)
3. set all pawns to do nothing but priority 1 haul until they can get the food and meds into the shade
4. build pawns+1 number of beds
5. plant a 10*10 potato field ASAP
6. dig out and power an 11*11 fridge
7. set up a kitchen connected to the fridge
8. set up a dining room/rec room connected to the kitchen (two entrances, one only from the kitchen, and a zone for Just Meals ensures your filthy pawns don't track in mud to the whole fridge)
9. get pawns individual bedrooms
10. dig out and fit a crafting/research room

...all the while working on a 2x wide stone border wall
Cool cool, that helps. Thanks everyone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheDK posted:

Does having the solar panels and wind turbines next to each other like that make the wind less efficient? I always thought they needed clear space to operate to the max.

Wind turbines are inhibited by trees, roofs and walls. Solar panels, smaller plants (i.e. all non-tree crops), rock chunks, and probably a whole bunch of other stuff don't hurt them in the least. If you click on a suboptimal wind turbine there'll be a little message in the bottom-left description box that says "blocked by poplar tree" so you know what you need to clear. I'm not sure about work benches, but you usually want those inside anyway.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 14, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheDK posted:

they need unobstructed space. solar panels are fine because the game does not consider them tall. trees, walls, hills, and other turbines are. there might be one or two other things but those are the big ones. cropland is also fine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also it's okay to have their wind area boxes overlap, that isn't very obvious but you can stack them in a sort of pinwheel layout rather than a simple side by side.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I don't know if this is intended but every time I start a game in a biome that gets winter, I always get hit with a cold snap that lasts the entire second half of fall, followed by a volcanic winter that lasts until the next summer, so I think the game just wants you to be REALLY good at winters.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ah yes, the "learn to Canada" mode.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

A Moose posted:

I don't know if this is intended but every time I start a game in a biome that gets winter, I always get hit with a cold snap that lasts the entire second half of fall, followed by a volcanic winter that lasts until the next summer, so I think the game just wants you to be REALLY good at winters.
It's made by a Canadian.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

One year in and the long bridge to the center island is finally complete :sweatdrop:

As if it was waiting for us (it was) Lavinia is drawn to claw her way through the undergrowth, starving, unable to stop:

It was cool because literally right after I finished the bridge the tree appeared :cthulhu:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does having your freezer dirty impact sickness chances for sure? I've had my freezers a filthy mess for basically every time I've played but put down sterile tile in my separated kitchen and never had an issue.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Day 140: HUGE STOCKPILE FIRE :supaburn:

actually kind of a good thing because I have too much stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Does having your freezer dirty impact sickness chances for sure? I've had my freezers a filthy mess for basically every time I've played but put down sterile tile in my separated kitchen and never had an issue.

No, it's entirely the room where the food is cooked

http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Food_Poison_Chance

Which is why you don't put the stove and butcher's table in the same room.