Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
so chris roberts is switching engines

this sounds more and more like duke nukem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The_Groove posted:

more like hand over IP

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Typo posted:

so chris roberts is switching engines

this sounds more and more like duke nukem

In more physical terms this was probably the case with his Porsche.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Of all the demonstrations of blind optimism I've observed over the years this current trend of assuming that Amazon casting its gaze over these events is somehow a good thing for Star Citizen has to take the cake.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dusty Lens posted:

Of all the demonstrations of blind optimism I've observed over the years this current trend of assuming that Amazon casting its gaze over these events is somehow a good thing for Star Citizen has to take the cake.

Or that they'll ride into ongoing litigation because they're nice like that.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Hav posted:

Or that they'll ride into ongoing litigation because they're nice like that.

The only plausible scenario is that Chris tries to pull Amazon into it to save himself.

CR: "Amazon has a license with Crytek for Lumberyard, and they said it would be cool if we did it"
Skadden: :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

The only plausible scenario is that Chris tries to pull Amazon into it to save himself.

CR: "Amazon has a license with Crytek for Lumberyard, and they said it would be cool if we did it"
Skadden: :allears:

Amazon:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nicholas posted:

no matter what it will never be chris's fault. even if there was a video of him dressed like the hamburgler, holding a giant bag with $ sign printed on it and cackling to himself as he jumped onto a yacht and sailed away, never to be seen again, the blame will still be pushed on to everyone besides chris.

:lol:

“Crobble Crobble.”

Wasn’t there a Galarox McD’s meme ages back? During the glorious “Big Moma’s House” era?

Dusty Lens posted:

It’s really rich. The notions that Chris can ring up Bezos and call-in-a-favor, “Hey Beez, listen — Crytek is really hassling me over this GLA business and—“ and then Bezos springs to action, opens the coffers, unleashes hellhounds and throws millions at Chris because DREAM GAME MUST GO ON...

Yeah.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

So they Ryan Archer'd themselves huh?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

PederP posted:

Day trading? Don't do it. Unless you don't care about the money. Seriously. I've been on the inside of the financial sector, and the risk-reward balance is not in your favor. You need luck and a very special personality to prosper as a day trader. Just do "normal" investment instead, and have sensible stop-loss and hedging strategies.

Yeah, I am well aware of the risks. I do normal trading, but I wanted to get some skills in day trading as well so that I can get a better grasp.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Chalks posted:

That copyright guys analysis was a bit disappointing on the laughs front. Most likely they will settle and either way we won't hear anything for a month or more.

I have a feeling they will not take much for a settlement.

:gonk: Can we settle out of court, please??
:hehe: Certainly. We’ll settle for everything and let you walk away.
:gonk: That’s not what we-
:hehe: We look forward to seeing you in court soon.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

G0RF posted:

:lol:

“Crobble Crobble.”

Wasn’t there a Galarox McD’s meme ages back? During the glorious “Big Moma’s House” era?

It’s really rich. The notions that Chris can ring up Bezos and call-in-a-favor, “Hey Beez, listen — Crytek is really hassling me over this GLA business and—“ and then Bezos springs to action, opens the coffers, unleashes hellhounds and throws millions at Chris because DREAM GAME MUST GO ON...

Yeah.

All they need to do is plead the case to King Bezos. He will graciously hear them out and wave his hand in their direction, solving all of their problems.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why the gently caress do so many people (not just the reddit retards but people writing for actual gaming news sites) not understand that the ">$75,000" in all the paperwork doesn't loving mean they are looking for $75,000?

I am the furthest loving thing from a lawyer and even to me that's obviously just the cutoff for some particular special brand of legal jujitsu to be applied.

It’s easy because one of the best law firms in the world who charges 50k an hour is definitely going to go head over heels to sink their time and effort into getting a 75k settlement. It’s big bucks for them. :3

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941365607211130885

----------------

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

This is kind of the slant I’m thinking. I’m almost wondering if Skadden is hoping amazon will be involved as well. Because they’d get to significantly higher money numbers if that were to happen. But I’m also sure amazon probably has a very good legal team as well, so it may all be slanted in such a way to keep amazon from needing to get involved.

I don’t know! Lawyers help me!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The crash and burn is the best part of this crazy star

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

34k views. The carrion attracts the scavengers.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I am well aware of the risks. I do normal trading, but I wanted to get some skills in day trading as well so that I can get a better grasp.

Not sure if you consider it normal trading, but personally I think advanced option strategies is a better thing to branch into than day trading. The way option strategies can be crafted to target very specific predictions and risk profiles is just beautiful. For me there a few things more poetic than profiting from the volatility of rough rice futures.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I can't fathom that any Shitizen would think that Crytek hired Skadden for a quick 100k or so. 1/4th of the team that peeled a half billion off of oculus is going to do similar work for less than a thousandth the payday? Not fuckin likely, bucko. Each lawyer on that team is going to pocket 7 figures minimum. I really do feel bad for the people who just wanted to play a fun cool game, but goddamn man. From an observer's perspective this whole endeavor seemed like a kid who won a paper airplane contest in middleschool decided to crowdfund a mission to proxima centauri. Actually that's a bit generous as I think the average bright middle school kid probably has better organizational skills than the Crobbler

:gary:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No, I meant the one with Snoop Dogg.
But this one is also good, thank you.

YES! YES!!!

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Reading Derek's posts last week: :jerkbag:

Reading Derek's posts this week: :gizz:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Derek smart was right

What a Christmas gift he has given us lol

I don't think anyone thought crystal was gonna be the ones who brought this sham down

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

CIG/RSI/15 others, prepare for the deskeletisation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Thank you all for a better than expected year. It's ending with a bang, and you can't ask for more. So in the spirit of the season, I give you:

* lyrics
* No reindeer or penguins were even inconvenienced for this production.
* Ok, I might have tossed a penguin but haven't we all done that once?!
* There are guitars.
* There are many parps.

Have a great Xmas, stay safe and we'll do this all again next year!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ewe2 posted:

Thank you all for a better than expected year. It's ending with a bang, and you can't ask for more. So in the spirit of the season, I give you:

* lyrics
* There are guitars.
* There are many parps.

:gary:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Titanic posted:

I have a feeling they will not take much for a settlement.

:gonk: Can we settle out of court, please??
:hehe: Certainly. We’ll settle for everything and let you walk away.
:gonk: That’s not what we-
:hehe: We look forward to seeing you in court soon.

It seems that crytek have them bang to rights on this and it's unlikely that they will want to spend any more on this law suit than they have to so if CIG want to settle I'm sure that will happen.

Really it all looks like it will boil down to how pig headed CIG decide to be about all of this. If they go cheap, only using in house council and/or Chris decides to fight them, them maybe it'll end up in court.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

It's a full time job and a lot of homework.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

ELE : Extinction Litigation Event

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I have no money and I must litigate

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Chalks posted:

It seems that crytek have them bang to rights on this and it's unlikely that they will want to spend any more on this law suit than they have to so if CIG want to settle I'm sure that will happen.

Really it all looks like it will boil down to how pig headed CIG decide to be about all of this. If they go cheap, only using in house council and/or Chris decides to fight them, them maybe it'll end up in court.

If CIG is cash-poor, then it might not take much to collapse them.

In which case, I could see them refusing to settle, going to court and taking their chances knowing that unless they miraculously prevail, they will fold and leave Crytek and Skadden in Ron Goldman territory (i.e., big judgement, but no assets to claim)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Whoever bought his avatar, I thank you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
New concept sale, the litigator is ready for pre purchase!

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

* lyrics
* There are guitars.
* There are many parps.

LOL! Well done.

A great Xmas to you and yours.

You have inspired me to get a kazoo.

gwildar
Oct 14, 2016

ewe2 posted:

* lyrics
* There are guitars.
* There are many parps.

:yarg:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

New concept sale, the litigator is ready for pre purchase!

1) Several turrets to defend against lawsuits
2) Uhh, not sure about insurance
3) Probably pay to win on this one

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The Titanic posted:

This is kind of the slant I’m thinking. I’m almost wondering if Skadden is hoping amazon will be involved as well. Because they’d get to significantly higher money numbers if that were to happen. But I’m also sure amazon probably has a very good legal team as well, so it may all be slanted in such a way to keep amazon from needing to get involved.

I don’t know! Lawyers help me!
Amazon has no dog in this fight. It could arise that someone at Amazon induced a breach of contract, but that should be unimaginably stupid that in this saga where there's always more and it's even dumber then you could have imagined, I draw the line there.

Even if all the stupid fell out of CIG's head and landed in a puddle at Amazon's feet, the damages likely won't amount to too much as it's not like Amazon's made a lot of money off Lumberyard. There's no unjust enrichment by Amazon, they don't seem to have diverted profit that would have gone to Crytek but for their theoretical interference.

Crytek is going for the jugular. Amazon didn't get to where they are by jumping in between a pitbull and one of the millions of vendors that happen to be using their platform. Indeed, it's more likely they'll shove CIG in front as an ablative meat shield if it came to it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Costs are part of the suit. Skadden’s taking their cash out of the settlement. It’s a demand for a jury trial, which is how Skadden see this playing out.

CiG could claim hardship, but that will be to the court. CiG can be as stubborn as all hell, it doesn’t change what they’re being accused of, and that’s a contract breach. Crytek aren’t demanding paper, they’re going straight to damages. I can see CiG offering a settlement, but i suspect that a $20-$30m dollar figure could be on the table.

Courts always want to see that you’ve exhausted every avenue before coming to trial, Crytek appear have been making demands with no answer. That’s a really big indicator of the quality of legal representation that CiG currently has ~ dumb refund letter aside.

Bootcha posted:

It's a full time job and a lot of homework.

I let Vanguard handle mine. Up until the middle of next year at least.

Edit: spill the coutts news.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The SC SDF seems to really hope that Amazon comes to their aid. One point of defense was "Amazon would surely know if CIG would breach contract with Crytek by acquiring the Lumberyard license." Which makes sense at a very bare sense, but realistically, it's not Amazon's responsibility to check if the licensee is violating any of their other contracts. Am I wrong?

And in general, why would Amazon step in as opposed to either legally insulating themselves or just not being involved at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AbstractNapper posted:

Last year, someone from CIG posted in the frontier forums what the switch to Lumberyard actually meant at the time. It was mainly CIG sticking where they were with their branch of CryEngine and maybe just acquiring some license files from LumberYard, but still being a branch of a "historic" version of Lumberyard -- that is of CryEngine.

They probably did some more work during this year to catch up to some Lumberyard features -- probably, but who knows?--. So, maybe technically they could "stick" to that story, and say they are still essentially working with CryEngine and developing patches for it

Maybe Crytek agreed to provide continuous support or even lend personnel to CIG in exchange for the likelihood for CIG to develop a cool new feature(s) for CryEngine, like say VR support, MMO support, improved performance for huge open maps etc.

And, does anyone really believe CIG's saying that Crytek stopped supporting them? They could have, but with Crobbler not having a clear idea of what he is developing, and constantly shifting goals and getting distracted by whatever meth dream he had or movie he watched, how could anyone keep providing support for that hack without hating themselves within the span of a year at most?

That was Ben Parry.

It was bullshit.

I challenged him on it.

He doubled down.

So I loving blogged his rear end. http://www.dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

----------------