Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:nallears: yes please tell me more about how one of the most powerful law firms in the world is taking on a side project because of giggles

edit dammit two snipes in one day

skadden kittens discover a new play thing

kw0134 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Mirificus posted:

James Y. Pak Counsel, Intellectual Property Litigation

James Y. Pak focuses his practice on litigating intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation.

Kevin J. Minnick Counsel, Litigation

Kevin Minnick's practice focuses on large-scale class action defense, primarily involving consumer protection and securities laws. He also has represented clients in qui tam, patent and appellate matters.

P. Anthony Sammi Partner, Intellectual Property Litigation

P. Anthony Sammi is head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He litigates complex, high-profile IP cases at the trial and appellate levels.

and behold a pale horse

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Mirificus posted:

James Y. Pak focuses his practice on litigating intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation.

Kevin Minnick's practice focuses on large-scale class action defense, primarily involving consumer protection and securities laws. He also has represented clients in qui tam, patent and appellate matters.

P. Anthony Sammi is head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He litigates complex, high-profile IP cases at the trial and appellate levels.

Yeh I dunno sounds like a real slap dash type outfit

Ortwin has this in the bag fam

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

how long till you can donate to the star citizen legal fund? this could be their greatest source of income yet

Ya 3.0 is literally done now we just have to pay CIG to win the lawsuit so we can play the alpha by 2020.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

business as usual! keep doing what you're doing CIG!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I guess all insurance is starting to look like lifetime insurance now.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

MinorInconvenience posted:

Perpetual intellectual property licenses are a thing, and it does mean that you "own" it. Courts treat it as a property right, instead of a terminable contract. The question is whether there are rights going the other way (from licensor to licensee). Those are not usually considered to be property rights... just contract rights. I might be too far into the bottle to be clear here. But that seems to be the crux of the argument Crytek is making. Can't wait to see the result. Althought suspect CIG is so cash poor that any result will end up with them in some form of Title 11 of the U.S. Code (i.e., bankruptcy) administration. Hold on to your seats, boys, 'cause this ride is gonna get bumpy.
If they decide on a chapter 11 does that mean all of CIG's financial records have to be made public or can they seal those?

That makes me wonder for going into settlement who has the most leverage. If CIG goes for Chapter 11, then are there enough assets left for CryTek to get a payout on a favorable judgement?
I don't think CryTek would agree to an ongoing royalties deal since the games may never be fully completed.

If CIG doesn't have much money left then Chapter 11 would make sense as long as the personal assets of Crobbers and crew are not touchable. But if CryTek can go after the top officers personal assets then Crobbers, et. al would have to beg for a reasonable settlement deal, even if it means the end of Star Citizen/SQ42 development.

It also depends on how much cash CryTek has to pursue the lawsuit. CIG must have assumed they had a better financial position and that CryTek would never raise a lawsuit about the contract breaches.
But if CryTek has low cash reserves then they may have to accept a low-ball settlement instead.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Just to be clear, it is super common to get the source code for a big-boy graphics / game engine. That doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want with it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/myyrdin/status/941108120390197249

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

When business you do,
With an Ortwin, it'll be sued, that's a Roberts

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The last time a developer tried to screw over the licensor like this, it ended up getting the game recalled and every copy destroyed.

:gary:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

SoftNum posted:

Just to be clear, it is super common to get the source code for a big-boy graphics / game engine. That doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want with it.

croberts is a 90s man so he thinks the cryengine sourcecode is Shareware

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

What CryTek alleges and what the facts are could very well be two different worlds here. CryTek is alleging breach of contract, insomuch that infringement on IP is a consequence hereto. CryTek also had to make its engineers available for corroboration, which might have been hard to do with all of the financial troubles they've encumbered:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-11-former-employee-sues-crytek-istanbul
https://www.pcgamesn.com/crytek-wage-crisis-black-sea-studio
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/pc/crytek-financial-troubles/1/
https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/5wzlf2/crytek_employee_here_havent_been_paid_in_2017/
https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/source-crytek-is-sinking-wages-are-unpaid-talent-leaving-on-a-daily-basis/

etc.

They, themselves, could have breached. This is not clear yet.

Moreover, the suit itself alleges that CIG halted use of CryTek engine in 2016 (star engine in play), yet they want to lay claim to a breach when engaging Faceware in 2017. They also allege breach for SQ42, yet LumberYard is used for its development.

At worst: I see a settelement since it's completely obvious this is nothing more than a cash grab.
At best: a jury trial in CA was requested so good luck to Cry in trying to prove preponderance

Quoting the poo poo out of this toxx post.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

i'm worried that because this is hell world CIG will somehow wriggle out of this

Inexplicably, the proceedings will be overseen by a newly-appointed Judge with a very distinctive and horrifyingly familiar belt.

He'll bang his gavel. "I'm sorry, but your case isn't as... ironclad, as you hoped. Case dismissed."

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Buster_Boy22/status/941105655842312192

https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/941104945088122880

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Mirificus posted:

I think I see it now. This law firm want to be featured in the case law that determines everything relating to "Crowdfunding" for the foreseeable future. They are going to be on the books as the firm that finally got the rules codified into legal decisions. Their victory will further cement them as THE firm to go to for this sort of business.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This is the best post.

Best part of it is the fact that Chris Roberts didn’t actually do any code for his demo. This has been a long said allegation but now here you go.

Those golden fingers. :allears:

Apparently Roberts was saving pc gaming by buying it from others from the outset. The lies all the way back to day 0. So awesome. :)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Wait a minute

Bugsmashers, CIG's attempt to show everyone "we really do have a game we're working on, honest", is going to potentially be evidence against them in a lawsuit that could kill the entire scam?

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
more like hand over IP

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have never been happier to see a malevolent army of corporate lawyers descend upon a company before

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't want to alarm anyone, but it seems as though derek smart might have been right

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

petition for derek to buy whatever remains of the Star Citizen IP once this is all said and done

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

The_Groove posted:

more like hand over IP

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Hey guys, I've been looking for photo's of Crytek's legal team so I can dox them but all I can find are these artists Ryan Archer's renderings.

Anyway, I'm sure Ortee can handle it. Star Citizen is good.

Crazypoops fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 14, 2017

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/Homer_Morisson/status/941100830509469696

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Golli posted:

In the Blue Corner, representing the defendants:

Let's have a clean fight!

this is the funniest loving comparison oh my god

it's like someone said. it's watching a baby being put into a duel with the horsemen of the apocalypse.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

i want to see it. i know it's impossible but i want to see it. i want to see ortwin fight.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

i have never been happier to see a malevolent army of corporate lawyers descend upon a company before

This is the part where the villain is noisily eaten by the horrible evil monster to audience cheers

This will make a pretty good book and/or movie once it's done. So much insanely stupid poo poo it'll be hilarious

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Loving this. Loving the fact that CIGs ego stroking videos will be used against them. This is almost the best possible way for Star Citizen and CIG to burn to the ground. I don’t care about crytech but I hope they do good here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The_Groove posted:

more like hand over IP

:thurman:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This really is an "Oh what a day, what a lovely day" moment.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

There we go.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The_Groove posted:

more like hand over IP

sweet jesus

today is a good day

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

nnnotime posted:

If they decide on a chapter 11 does that mean all of CIG's financial records have to be made public or can they seal those?

That makes me wonder for going into settlement who has the most leverage. If CIG goes for Chapter 11, then are there enough assets left for CryTek to get a payout on a favorable judgement?
I don't think CryTek would agree to an ongoing royalties deal since the games may never be fully completed.

If CIG doesn't have much money left then Chapter 11 would make sense as long as the personal assets of Crobbers and crew are not touchable. But if CryTek can go after the top officers personal assets then Crobbers, et. al would have to beg for a reasonable settlement deal, even if it means the end of Star Citizen/SQ42 development.

It also depends on how much cash CryTek has to pursue the lawsuit. CIG must have assumed they had a better financial position and that CryTek would never raise a lawsuit about the contract breaches.
But if CryTek has low cash reserves then they may have to accept a low-ball settlement instead.

If CIG goes the U.S. bankruptcy route, it's all public unless the Court orders otherwise. And if it gets that far, it's only because the motivated creditors (Crytek) believe there is something to recover. Whether from CIG itself or Crobert, Ortwin or other "insiders." We all shall have to wait and see.

While I suspect that this lawsuit is the ELE we have all been waiting for for so long.... it will likely take a long time to come to any sort of completion... buckle up boys and girls....

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This will make a pretty good book and/or movie once it's done. So much insanely stupid poo poo it'll be hilarious

The DisPARPer Artist.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

Loving this. Loving the fact that CIGs ego stroking videos will be used against them. This is almost the best possible way for Star Citizen and CIG to burn to the ground. I don’t care about crytech but I hope they do good here.

CryTek are actually the best company in the world as of a few of hours ago

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I got downvoted by the SC dissent police for commenting on the Crytek lawsuit, so I decided to seek a more sympathetic audience elsewhere.

Karma is looking up! Thank you, /shittykickstarters!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Milky Moor posted:

this is the funniest loving comparison oh my god

it's like someone said. it's watching a baby being put into a duel with the horsemen of the apocalypse.

It's Chris Roberts versus competence.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

CryTek are actually the best company in the world as of a few of hours ago

If this goes all the way and they end up with enough money to make another crappy Crysis game, I will buy it and all of it's predecessors. It's only fair for how much entertainment I've received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
This is the most coverage in the games press CIG have had in more than 18 months. Even the link to the lawsuit on Scribd is appearing in news.google.com searches for 'Star Citizen' which is loving hilarious to me