Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys do know that in that movie Clark is trying to protect his identity as Superman, don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

how can that be

superman doesn't wear glasses, unlike that mama's boy dork clark kent

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BiggerBoat posted:

You guys do know that in that movie Clark is trying to protect his identity as Superman, don't you?

There's plenty of superheroes who protect their identity without they civilian personality being a dweebazoid loser

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

BiggerBoat posted:

Seems like that would involve not behaving like a grotesque parody of a nerd from the 50s, instantly making yourself super-conspicuous. Somehow Donner thought "mild-mannered" and "unassuming" actually meant "stammering mouth-breather who awkwardly looms over his co-workers and wears enough pomade to stink up the entire office by 9:30am."

And yes you can say it's funny and a comedy and has pathos and I agree with all those things. It's still weird as hell decision by Kal-El that comes out of nowhere and it creates more problems than it solves so it's a flaw, which is what I'm discussing.

BTW, I have tremendous love for Superman: The Movie and the Superman in it. I think most people do. It's easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 14, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

where the gently caress is Namor in all of this mess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DLC Inc posted:

Still with Universal, same as the Hulk solo rights.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DLC Inc posted:

I think he's part of the 'Fantastic Four Universe' so once the Fox deal goes through, they can give him a movie.

edit: Nope. Universal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Why am I not getting my Dark Universe Namor punching Lovecraftian horrors from the depths movie?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gatts posted:

Why am I not getting my Dark Universe Namor punching Lovecraftian horrors from the depths movie?

Maybe if they’d started with that the series wouldn’t have flown straight into the toilet.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I thought Reeve's performance as Clark in contrast to his Superman was charming and really effective. His entire body language and posture were different, which really helped the "how does Lois no KNOW he's Superman" part of the story. Chris Reeves loving crushed that role.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Pages back, but just wanted to say the difference is that Snyder's films are the correct interpretation of Superman, and the "not my Superman" claims are ironic in not understanding their "favorite" character. Raimi spidermans shoves aside character attributes to stream line the believability of a man being able to shot web. And marvel smoothed over others to fit him onto their conveyor belt.

Pages back but this is hilarious.

e:

Electromax posted:

In school we were taught rule of thumb for actionable monopolies was around 70% market share.

According to the only thing I found cited multiple places:
https://www.the-numbers.com/market/2016/distributors
...this deal moves Disney from 26% to 39%. WB next at 17%, Universal at 13%, etc. I think it would be too low, although if adjusted 2017 numbers bump that up nearer to 50% there might be some foothold legally.

But the Justice Department is currently trying to block AT&T/Time Warner so maybe this won't be as open-shut as it seems... the current landscape is so unpredictable.

AFAIK its more complicated than that. Judicial interpretations (most important one being handed down by one time almost SupCT Justice Robert Bork) having the cutoff for monopolies be not by share of the market and not being important for vertical type mergers (a producer buying a distributor, for example). The important measure is "consumer welfare" and it is an incredibly elastic definition that has a hard time stopping mergers in the courts.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 14, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

'Deadpool' Can Stay R-Rated at Disney, Says Bob Iger

Disney is ready and willing to get into the R-rated movie business – if the branding is right.

In a call with media following Disney's acquisition of 21st Century Fox, Iger addressed the future of Deadpool, Ryan Reynolds' raunchy and lucrative R-rated Marvel franchise at Fox.

"It [Deadpool] clearly has been and will be Marvel branded. But we think there might be an opportunity for a Marvel-R brand for something like Deadpool," said Iger. "As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-will-stay-r-rated-fox-disney-merger-1067651

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

quote:

"As long as we let the audiences know what's coming, we think we can manage that fine."

Well, yes, that would be the purpose of an R rating, wouldn't it?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if he'll stick to his tune after Deadpool 2 under-performs. I have this nagging feeling that it's going to be an over-stuffed disappointment.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo they are SO ready to drop this down to a PG-13 if they are given a chance

I figure the only reason they aren't is because it's SO far in on production, it'd cost more money to tone it down

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Burkion posted:

Holy poo poo they are SO ready to drop this down to a PG-13 if they are given a chance

I figure the only reason they aren't is because it's SO far in on production, it'd cost more money to tone it down

They also literally won't take operational control of Fox for 12 - 18 months.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God this is great

I hope Deadpool 2 is just the biggest fiasco for them now

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Burkion posted:

Oh God this is great

I hope Deadpool 2 is just the biggest fiasco for them now

They're gonna spend 50 million dollars to CG remove Deadpool's weapons and replace them with walky-talkies.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Timby posted:

They also literally won't take operational control of Fox for 12 - 18 months.

Fox will still have to decide sooner rather than later whether to proceed with Gambit and their two TBA Marvel movies for 2019, or cancel them in anticipation of Marvel Studios rebooting the franchise. Gambit has a decent chance of making it through just because it's apparently only two months away from filming, but I dunno about the other two.

And at least Deadpool 2 and New Mutants are fairly self-contained, which makes it easier for Fox to evade questions about the future of those characters for now. Dark Phoenix has the misfortune of being part of the main X-franchise, and will almost certainly be the last time we see the Singerverse versions of most of its characters, even though it's safe to say that it wasn't conceived, written, or shot with the intent of serving as an epilogue to this continuity. I don't envy Kinberg or anyone else involved in marketing the film, because those press junkets are gonna be awkward.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

disney is full of cowards who will never let us see deadpool's hosed up dick

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

disney is full of cowards who will never let us see deadpool's hosed up dick

I mean, we've already seen it once. No need for overkill.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Convex posted:

Fox will still have to decide sooner rather than later whether to proceed with Gambit and their two TBA Marvel movies for 2019, or cancel them in anticipation of Marvel Studios rebooting the franchise. Gambit has a decent chance of making it through just because it's apparently only two months away from filming, but I dunno about the other two.

I'll believe Gambit is actually happening when it starts shooting and call sheets are out. That movie's had so many stops and starts, when Verbinski came on they started rewriting it again, and it's based on such a nothing character, that I still am not convinced it will ever be made.

quote:

I don't envy Kinberg or anyone else involved in marketing the film, because those press junkets are gonna be awkward.

Don't forget that this is Kinberg's directorial debut, so if the movie sucks out loud (as I feel it will; Kinberg's a loving godawful writer), he's going to get to deal with "Now that Disney owns the X-Men, do you feel responsible for killing your franchise?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I can't get over there being a Gambit movie, that's just inherently funny.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Kinberg is also an awful producer. Just awful at everything he touches.

Barry Convex posted:

And at least Deadpool 2 and New Mutants are fairly self-contained, which makes it easier for Fox to evade questions about the future of those characters for now. Dark Phoenix has the misfortune of being part of the main X-franchise, and will almost certainly be the last time we see the Singerverse versions of most of its characters, even though it's safe to say that it wasn't conceived, written, or shot with the intent of serving as an epilogue to this continuity.

IIRC it's specifically intended to be the middle part of a trilogy. Or maybe the first part of a trilogy? Who loving knows with these stupid movies.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'll be bummed if New Mutants is awesome and Disney ends up doing nothing with it.

Or maybe I'll be relieved. I'm not sure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC it's specifically intended to be the middle part of a trilogy. Or maybe the first part of a trilogy? Who loving knows with these stupid movies.

Why was X-2 so good then? I remember reading about some of the writers for it being forced out for the sequels?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
in surprise move Disney recasts Mayzey Williams as new Jean Grey; Salsa Stark takes heat for killing franchise, exiled to The Wall

e: X2 had a LOT of behind the scenes shenanigans going on. Halle Berry had won an oscar since the last movie and become an official Megastar and used her new weight to expand her role at the expense of James Marsden's Cyclops (hence why he spends most of the movie in a jail cell while she gets to fly the plane). The script was being rewritten and kicked back and forth even while the movie was filming.

But honestly that's pretty normal for movies so I'm not gonna say "it's a miracle it turned out as well as it did."

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 14, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shageletic posted:

Why was X-2 so good then? I remember reading about some of the writers for it being forced out for the sequels?

X2 works because David Hayter (who wrote the final draft of X-Men) and Zak Penn were both tasked with coming up with story treatments on their own. Singer then mashed the stories up, and handed everything off to Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, his hand-picked writers (who also worked with him on Superman Returns).

Kinberg didn't get involved with the X-Men movies until The Last Stand, which he wrote with Penn.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
honest real life LOL at "Salsa Stark". Should have been Maize Williams too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hope that Noah Hawley Dr. Doom movie doesnt get hosed

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The elephant in the room, with all this talk of the nerd rapture, is that franchise crossover stories reach their apex of quality with, like, Alien Versus | Predator: Requiem and... BVS?!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein you loving savage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The elephant in the room, with all this talk of the nerd rapture, is that franchise crossover stories reach their apex of quality with, like, Alien Versus | Predator: Requiem and... BVS?!

What would AvPvSvB be the dawn of?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What would AvPvSvB be the dawn of?

Conglomeration

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dawn of Poo Poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein you loving savage.

Ahem, you will find that the true progenitor is Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, you philistine

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hope that Noah Hawley Dr. Doom movie doesnt get hosed

Yeah, I really want to know what's going to happen with Noah Hawley and the stuff he's doing.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed, if Disney kept X-Men separate still (they won't) it'd still be better than whatever the gently caress they are trying to do from movie to movie with the X-Men.

I think this is a good thing for the X-Men, and you know everyone is going to be hyped as poo poo for X-Men vs Avengers.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Burkion posted:

Ahem, you will find that the true progenitor is Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, you philistine

He talked about the apex, not the first. And that is unquestionably Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

e: And it is in fact entirely topical, as you had the monsters in their universe, and then Abbott and Costello in theirs, and then you took the two separate universes of films and smashed them together into something greater. Just like Disney will inevitably do to all media in 2077.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Diabetic posted:

I think this is a good thing for the X-Men, and you know everyone is going to be hyped as poo poo for X-Men vs Avengers.

nah, avengers movies are crowded enough as it is

• Locked thread