Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

It’s really rich. The notions that Chris can ring up Bezos and call-in-a-favor, “Hey Beez, listen — Crytek is really hassling me over this GLA business and—“ and then Bezos springs to action, opens the coffers, unleashes hellhounds and throws millions at Chris because DREAM GAME MUST GO ON...

Yeah.

Appealing to the benevolence of a giant amoral corporation that exists to instinctively consume anything it comes into contact with is exactly the kind of precedence that big publishers were terrified CIG would set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alphabettitouretti posted:

CryTek saw that CIG planned to do something insanely ambitious and asked them to agree to share code changes in case they could be useful to implement into CryEngine, I guess. If they thought that CIG was going to succeed at, say, making whole solar systems with their engine why not take the opportunity to benefit from it?

What does seem weird to me is that the legal filing complains that the code they got was no compilable. Did CIG just send them total junk? Or was it the case that they'd made so many changes to the engine it was not actually usable by CryTek? If it was the latter, what were the obligations in that regard? Did CIG agree to this part of the contract not realising that that they'd have to put in a lot of work to ensure the changes were useful to CryTek? Or was CryTek being unreasonable by expecting CIG to maintain compatibility with the vanilla engine despite the sweeping changes CIG had to make in order to complete the project?

Is this a common licensing requirement for engines?

They would have had to be able to compile the individual modules to come up with libs and DLLs. Also CE ships with sample code.

If whatever CIG provided didn't compile, that's what they're talking about.

That being the case, yes, they sent them poo poo.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Because Crytek get to write their license agreement and thought it would be pretty useful if when ever they license the engine, it results in the engine getting better for everyone who uses it instead of getting fragmented. It also ensures that when Crytek release patches to their engine, it's compatible with updates made by licensees since those changes will be integrated.

It's pretty standard - I mean hell, it's a requirement under most open source licenses for the exact same reason and nobody bats an eye. There's no reason that licensing out your source code should be a one way street.

Long story short, Crytek writing a license agreement that is beneficial to them isn't very surprising. The most surprising thing is that CIG didn't fulfil this obligation. What conceivable reason besides incompetence could they have for not doing this? It's not like Crytek will compete with them in any way.

:same:

----------------

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

You see, I was skeptical about you saying they were insolvent before this...

...but if this is actually true (hope to see at least a little something on it), now I believe you!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Golli posted:

If CIG is cash-poor, then it might not take much to collapse them.

In which case, I could see them refusing to settle, going to court and taking their chances knowing that unless they miraculously prevail, they will fold and leave Crytek and Skadden in Ron Goldman territory (i.e., big judgement, but no assets to claim)

CIG have a fair number of assets in terms of things like their ridiculous mocap studios and all their equipment and designer furniture. The game probably isn't worth poo poo, but they've blown $150 mil at this point so there's going to be stuff left to claim.

If they go to court it'll be excellent because discovery will disclose all of their real financial records. Not sure how much of that we will get access to, but it'd be a pretty big deal. Possibly even a big enough reason for CIG to want to avoid court entirely.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:laffo::laffo:

Did anyone say, Holy poo poo yet?

----------------

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Anyone who wonders how the relationship between the beleaguered underdog and the giant amorphous blob generally works out should recall the cautionary tale of Kaori.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

Amazon has no dog in this fight. It could arise that someone at Amazon induced a breach of contract, but that should be unimaginably stupid that in this saga where there's always more and it's even dumber then you could have imagined, I draw the line there.

Even if all the stupid fell out of CIG's head and landed in a puddle at Amazon's feet, the damages likely won't amount to too much as it's not like Amazon's made a lot of money off Lumberyard. There's no unjust enrichment by Amazon, they don't seem to have diverted profit that would have gone to Crytek but for their theoretical interference.

Crytek is going for the jugular. Amazon didn't get to where they are by jumping in between a pitbull and one of the millions of vendors that happen to be using their platform. Indeed, it's more likely they'll shove CIG in front as an ablative meat shield if it came to it.

You’re right, but generally speaking Amazon has no part in this as they paid for cryengine to fork. Their poo poo is paid for at $70m. They have no real dog in the fight to assist CiG because any ‘relationship’ is contractual and commercial rather than being personal.

This really isn’t about cryengine, it’s about a contract that one side appears to have completely reneged on. It’s why it’s so interesting. Ignore Amazon around this unless they publically comment, which they won’t.

Now, faceware and a couple of the other subsidiaries are in the poo poo because they received stuff they shouldn’t have. They need to be lawyering up to make sure that they understand the lines that they have to stay within now.

Dusty Lens posted:

Appealing to the benevolence of a giant amoral corporation that exists to instinctively consume anything it comes into contact with is exactly the kind of precedence that big publishers were terrified CIG would set.

Ironic, no? Even better, it’s amazon. The king of paying out just enough rope to get yourself into serious trouble.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

LISTEN you dummy

I understand you all live in a weeeeird cartoon universe wearing furry costumes and having sex with teddy bears or whatever, but this is the Real World (remember that?) knocking on the door with a posse of proper lawyers who are actual real human beings from the Real World who probably have normal human sex and aren't loving around.

Skadden and Crytek have just gone all in with a two-pair and a Queen and we haven't even seen the flop yet. Ortwin and Chris are sitting across the table with a sheet of paper with the WingDings font printed out on it.

Now listen to me Jim-Bob, the Real World has a tendency to reach out and gently caress you in the rear end which is probably why you don't have any experience interacting with it and choose to live in some kind of pretentious and badly drawn animated imaginary version. Watch and loving learn son, and when this is over go outside and get yourself an education.

Now get off my loving lawn and go stick a fluffy tail up your rear end or whatever it is you weirdos do.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Dusty Lens posted:

Anyone who wonders how the relationship between the beleaguered underdog and the giant amorphous blob generally works out should recall the cautionary tale of Kaori.

I was waiting for a reference to Lesnick

as the blob

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i am so loving excited about this upcoming settlement under undisclosed terms that has absolutely no impact on anyone

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

i am so loving excited about this upcoming settlement under undisclosed terms that has absolutely no impact on anyone

Best part is that we'll probably have to wait a month for nothing to happen!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I too enjoy christmas.

Chalks posted:

Best part is that we'll probably have to wait a month for nothing to happen!

I call it ‘December’.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well I guess one parable we can learn from all of this is that CIG flew too close to the Smart.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
[Fetching Legal Documents]

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

SomethingJones posted:

LISTEN you dummy

I understand you all live in a weeeeird cartoon universe wearing furry costumes and having sex with teddy bears or whatever, but this is the Real World (remember that?) knocking on the door with a posse of proper lawyers who are actual real human beings from the Real World who probably have normal human sex and aren't loving around.

Skadden and Crytek have just gone all in with a two-pair and a Queen and we haven't even seen the flop yet. Ortwin and Chris are sitting across the table with a sheet of paper with the WingDings font printed out on it.

Now listen to me Jim-Bob, the Real World has a tendency to reach out and gently caress you in the rear end which is probably why you don't have any experience interacting with it and choose to live in some kind of pretentious and badly drawn animated imaginary version. Watch and loving learn son, and when this is over go outside and get yourself an education.

Now get off my loving lawn and go stick a fluffy tail up your rear end or whatever it is you weirdos do.

The thing that just blows me away is the constant chant that only one side of the suit has been seen and it will be summarily dismissed once CIG replies.

As if Skadden has not gone through the contract between both parties with a fine tooth comb, any and all correspondences and supporting documentation. My family owned a lit support company and the reams of research and investigation documentation was only dwarfed by that of the actual case going to trial, one case had close to 15 boxes of documentation we had to code prior to the case going to court for a simple breach of contract on one line item of the original contract.

Barring a 70's style court room "AH HA!" moment CIG is in for the fight for its life one that already on life support.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Good name/post combo.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Polygon

The Crytek and Star Citizen feud is getting more complicated
Court documents imply improper behavior on both sides

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/14/16776300/crytek-star-citizen-lawsuit-cig-rsi

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why the gently caress do so many people (not just the reddit retards but people writing for actual gaming news sites) not understand that the ">$75,000" in all the paperwork doesn't loving mean they are looking for $75,000?

I am the furthest loving thing from a lawyer and even to me that's obviously just the cutoff for some particular special brand of legal jujitsu to be applied.

They never went to law school. Anyone who has been through 1L would get that reference...

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Brand new job vacancy at CIG in sunny LA in case anyone is interested

Posted today Dec 13

VIP Client Manager
Are you a VIP Client Manager interested in a dynamic, fun, and energetic work environment? If so, we would like you to join us in our Los Angeles headquarters studio!

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/633-VIP-Client-Manager

• Manage subscription and Concierge programs
• Assist in managing strategic partnerships to drive subscription growth through promotions, bundles, and value-added marketing concepts
• Drive cross-functional project prioritization based on business-case modeling, impact forecasting, and engineering/marketing resource allocation
• Define, communicate, and maintain the highest standards of customer service
• Act as first point of escalation for all client service issues, concerns and suggestions
• Actively participate in staff meetings to represent the voice of our clients; take on new client-service initiatives as required
• Provide training & knowledge; communicate regularly with Concierge team to ensure that the staff are well-informed & have the necessary tools to complete their job
• Supervise to ensure that the Concierge Team consistently provides a luxury lifestyle experience for all clients
• Attend regular staff meetings to provide key insights about the VIP Concierge experience, including feedback, concerns, and customer needs; delegate client service responsibilities as required
• Coordinate and facilitate weekly staff meetings with Concierge team to ensure timely updates and make sure that staff is “in the know” on all issues
• Oversee correspondence with clients who have completed satisfaction surveys that may require follow-up or resolution
• Resolve client complaints and anticipate problems by reviewing and monitoring operational issues, business flow, and associate performance
• Review correspondence from clients and incident logs; direct staff according to information obtained
• Create specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, and timely action plans to remedy service deficiencies and continually enhance excellence within Concierge operations
• International travel may be required as part of the role

Requirements:

• Minimum 4+ years’ experience in a service-based industry, preferably front facing
• Experience prioritizing opportunities based on business impact and resource allocation
• Ability to engage in both high level strategic planning and operational/tactical execution
• Excellent time management, attention to detail, and communication skills
• Gaming experience a plus, but not required
• Highly developed communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
• Personable, friendly, cooperative, and collaborative mindset
• Team oriented, flexible mentality; mental dexterity
• Passion for providing a superior customer service experience
• Previous experience in a fast-paced environment
• Professional and proactive demeanor with a high level of integrity
• Continuous quality improvement orientation
• Experience documenting processes, training employees, and motivating teams
• Attention to detail and ability to plan ahead
• Schedules may include holidays, weekends, and alternate shifts, on occasion

Posting from the past,

Isn't this Mrs. Lesnick's job, but with a new title?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why the gently caress do so many people (not just the reddit retards but people writing for actual gaming news sites) not understand that the ">$75,000" in all the paperwork doesn't loving mean they are looking for $75,000?

I am the furthest loving thing from a lawyer and even to me that's obviously just the cutoff for some particular special brand of legal jujitsu to be applied.

When you're looking at something that you've spent the last five loving years defending and supporting you become desperate for anything to alleviate the onset of dread that perhaps everything you've believed in is a failure. We live in a world where a quick glance is sufficient to justify expressing an opinion, and on the Internet who speaks first is often more important than who speaks correctly. There's an immense amount of research into just how difficult it is to change someone's initial perspective, and social media and the explosion of virtual tribalism just reinforces what we already want to hear. The Star Citizen community isn't a cult, it's a hyper-isolated tribe of like-minded thinkers who have galvanized their opinions into something nearly impenetrable and even a [b]ridiculously respected and outright terrifying legal firm asserting a breach of contract and potentially shutting down all development[/I] isn't necessarily enough to convince people like Tarkaroshe that things are well and truly hosed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
RIP Moma :sadwave:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

Polygon

The Crytek and Star Citizen feud is getting more complicated
Court documents imply improper behavior on both sides

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/14/16776300/crytek-star-citizen-lawsuit-cig-rsi

Polygon has the worst writers. Where’s the Crytek issue with having one of the negotiators join the other side?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheAgent posted:

who wants to go drinking in LA with me when they shut down the CIG office in santa monica lol

Can we find a bar with a jukebox so we can play Everclear's Santa Monica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6E_TNgCsY

I am still living with my ghost
Lonely and dreaming of our friend Toast
I don't want to be your headline
I don't want to make your stupid game

With a big lawsuit and a space court case
I do believe I'll go back to a disgrace
I don't want to be the bad guy
I don't want to sell these jaypeg ships anymore
I just want to pay my Porsche fees
I will try to run before the bank freeze

We can flee across the ocean
Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
Watch the Dreams die

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
Watch the Dreams die

I am still dreaming of the 'Verse
Empty and lifeless like a black herse
I don't want to do the hard time
I don't want to be your P. C. Savior anymore

I'll walk right out to my getaway
Planned for years for this payday

I just want to run this scam crime
I just want to find some way to make it gone

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
And watch the Dreams die

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
And watch the Dreams die

Yeah watch the Dreams die

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kilmers Elbow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihw8VAqhYHA

Derek Smart @ 1:04:14 - "It's gonna be beautiful. Listen it's gonna be the whole culmination of the whole 'Derek Smart was Right!' movement; and even though I'm not one to gloat....."

Derek Smart @ 1:05:38 - "The day I'm looking forward to is the day I go on Twitter and say I told you so"

:v:

Yeah, that was about the CryTek lawsuit which I'd been hinting about all year.

----------------

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drunk Theory posted:

You know they'd just blame something else. It was always going to be some outside boogieman that was the cause of all the problems.

Nobody will ever ask “so uh... why didn’t you just adhere to your written contractual agreements?” Because that’s simply absurd!

I think it’s glorious that Chris Roberts’ lack of ability to estimate project lengths is really what has killed him here. This project wasn’t supposed to last this long, and he screwed it up. :)

I want to picture him lording over an ungodly jira backlog, shouting at it and waving his hands, “why can’t I loving estimate you right!!!” As he has “Redefine Internet Communication” with 6 story points. “Human Like AI” with 4 story points. And one “Build Game” thing that has 10.

According to loving jira it’s already done!!! Ggrrarr!!!

The way CR designs games is similar to that picture of a really complex drawing that has two frames of “use a few basic shapes to get your bearings” and then the second picture is the complete version with “finish the loving drawing”.

Here is one of them. This is the Chris Roberts development method. There’s no connection between the start and the end, poo poo just loving Magic’s itself together and presto you done redefined and saved PC gaming!

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Is net neutrality repealed in the star citizen universe as well? If not, I'd like to re-subscribe so that I can live in the 'verse be able to afford the internet again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

They never went to law school. Anyone who has been through 1L would get that reference...

Or blessed with the ability to read. Legal documents are actually really tight and to the point once you get through the initial structural oddities.

I think ADB’s starfleet battles set me up really well.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

monkeytek posted:

The thing that just blows me away is the constant chant that only one side of the suit has been seen and it will be summarily dismissed once CIG replies.

As if Skadden has not gone through the contract between both parties with a fine tooth comb, any and all correspondences and supporting documentation. My family owned a lit support company and the reams of research and investigation documentation was only dwarfed by that of the actual case going to trial, one case had close to 15 boxes of documentation we had to code prior to the case going to court for a simple breach of contract on one line item of the original contract.

Barring a 70's style court room "AH HA!" moment CIG is in for the fight for its life one that already on life support.

They literally see the entire world like it's some kind of kid's cartoon, they have no experience with it whatsoever. It's loving sad is what it is.

Instead of buying a 3D Max spaceship render go and buy a flight somewhere you've never been and learn something ffs

SORRY sorry I'm getting myself wound up

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hav posted:

Polygon has the worst writers. Where’s the Crytek issue with having one of the negotiators join the other side?

Charlie Hall is a member of the Citizen Defense Brigade, so he might be implying something that isn't there. Truthfully, I don't know.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Klyith posted:

Can we find a bar with a jukebox so we can play Everclear's Santa Monica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6E_TNgCsY

I am still living with my ghost
Lonely and dreaming of our friend Toast
I don't want to be your headline
I don't want to make your stupid game

With a big lawsuit and a space court case
I do believe I'll go back to a disgrace
I just want to pay my Porsche fees
I will try to run before the bank freeze

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
Watch the Dreams die

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
Watch the Dreams die

I am still dreaming of the 'Verse
Empty and lifeless like a black herse
I don't want to do the hard time
I don't want to be your P. C. Savior anymore

I'll walk right out to my getaway
Planned for years for this payday

I just want to run this scam crime
I just want to find some way to make it gone

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
And watch the Dreams die

Leave the whales behind
Run from all the bankers
And watch the Dreams die

:golfclap: nicely done!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

[Fetching Legal Documents]

lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jason Sextro posted:

Charlie Hall is a member of the Citizen Defense Brigade, so he might be implying something that isn't there. Truthfully, I don't know.

There were bad people on both sides.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Hav posted:

In my haste to post that I missed that it was Charlie Hall. The headline implies he has seen Important Court Documents that show Crytek has done something wrong. And then the article says nothing of the sort.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

It's going to be a very minor point, but I'm used to seeing spelling mistakes in filings.

The Skadden filing is perfect.

Yeah, least said, least to clarify. They literally copped to one of the charges.

Something else to note; we've touched on the problem that Judges/Juries aren't usually technical, but they've crafted this suit to be very basic and rotate around the GLA agreement, reducing arguments to a fairly simple binaric decision of whether the contract was breached or not.

If this was more opinion-based, then it would be so drat weak as to be a dangling hook for a payoff, but it's fairly solid on the basis of the previous agreements.

edit: I disagree with French. I suspect that if this was basically an attempt to drive for a settlement, then Skadden wouldn't be involved.

It's not quite perfect. They misspelled Crytek as "Cyrtek" on line 6 of page 10. That's all I noticed, however, so it's still very good.
I agree that the simple and clear focus on the GLA will help them. It's should not be too difficult for the judge to get a clear picture of the charges.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hav posted:

It's going to be a very minor point, but I'm used to seeing spelling mistakes in filings.

The Skadden filing is perfect.

Yeah, least said, least to clarify. They literally copped to one of the charges.

Something else to note; we've touched on the problem that Judges/Juries aren't usually technical, but they've crafted this suit to be very basic and rotate around the GLA agreement, reducing arguments to a fairly simple binaric decision of whether the contract was breached or not.

If this was more opinion-based, then it would be so drat weak as to be a dangling hook for a payoff, but it's fairly solid on the basis of the previous agreements.

edit: I disagree with French. I suspect that if this was basically an attempt to drive for a settlement, then Skadden wouldn't be involved.

Exactly. Especially since they cost so loving much, which would eat into any settlement.

The flip side is that they came out the gate with heavy guns to show that they're not screwing around. I believe this to be the case.

----------------

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Hav posted:

There were bad people on both sides.

I'm sure there were. CryTek is not a saintly outfit of philanthropy by any means.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hav posted:

You’re right, but generally speaking Amazon has no part in this as they paid for cryengine to fork. Their poo poo is paid for at $70m. They have no real dog in the fight to assist CiG because any ‘relationship’ is contractual and commercial rather than being personal.

This really isn’t about cryengine, it’s about a contract that one side appears to have completely reneged on. It’s why it’s so interesting. Ignore Amazon around this unless they publically comment, which they won’t.
Right, the only angle is contractual, but Amazon didn't and doesn't have any reason to inquire about the original deal with Crytek. "If you wanna use Lumberyard, sign here, here, and here, you can download it from the depository with this login, have fun" is probably the extent of their dealings.

Anything else that could be alleged would be really out there. Amazon's gonna be like when you walk down the street and there's this guy you used to know from work and he is this disheveled mess, you can smell the piss and cheap booze from a block away and he's yelling into the air about spaceships, you pull your collar up and walk super fast and hope he's not looking your way oh god he recognised me poo poo poo poo just be cool man pretend you don't see him walk faster dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Hi been away from the thread a long time is it true that it turned out Derek Smart was Right?