Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be clear, Marvel CAN make a Namor or Hulk solo, it's just that Universal would have the distribution rights, not Disney.

I mean functionally this means it would never happen but technically, legally, rights speaking, there's nothing preventing Marvel Studios from funding a Namor solo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

As for merchandising rights, I'm not sure what the exact terms were throughout the 90s or the 2000s, or even at the beginning of this decade, but I'm pretty sure that Marvel has fully controlled the X-Men and FF licensing and animation rights for a good few years now. If there's reporting to the contrary, I stand corrected.

Marvel always had the contracts with Mattel etc., but Sony and Fox got most of the revenue from merchandise related to their movies. Marvel probably got some, but a small share at best.

They did have action figures and stuff for the earlier X-Men movies before things turned as sour, but that stopped except for niche stuff like Hot Toys figures of Wolverine. This is why Fox's movies had stupid promotions like Denny's burgers.

Sony renegotiated between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man and gave up the merchandise profits to Marvel, which is why they continued to have Spidey merchandise for the movies even before he was in the MCU.

Sony's contract never gave them as much free reign as Fox's did, and something about changing to ASM required a new deal. Sony also gave up TV rights to Spider-Man at this time, which contributed to killing Spectacular Spider-Man. One thing they must have received in return is the license for the upcoming game though, because a first party licensed game like that is pretty rare.

I don't know what Fox's TV situation was. They were able to stop Mutant X from being about real X-Men, but needed to negotiate with Marvel to make Legion and Hellfire/Gifted happen.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 14, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

To be clear, Marvel CAN make a Namor or Hulk solo, it's just that Universal would have the distribution rights, not Disney.

I mean functionally this means it would never happen but technically, legally, rights speaking, there's nothing preventing Marvel Studios from funding a Namor solo right now.

Solution: Disney buys universal

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel always had the contracts with Mattel etc., but Sony and Fox got most of the revenue from merchandise related to their movies. Marvel probably got some, but a small share at best.

They did have action figures and stuff for the earlier X-Men movies before things turned as sour, but that stopped except for niche stuff like Hot Toys figures of Wolverine. This is why Fox's movies had stupid promotions like Denny's burgers.

Sony renegotiated between Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man and gave up the merchandise profits to Marvel, which is why they continued to have Spidey merchandise for the movies even before he was in the MCU.

Sony's contract never gave them as much free reign as Fox's did, and something about changing to ASM required a new deal. Sony also gave up TV rights to Spider-Man at this time, which contributed to killing Spectacular Spider-Man.

Right, but I don't think Fox has any financial stake in, or control of, X-Men or FF licensing/animation that isn't specifically based on films Fox makes with those IP. Maybe they did at one point, but I'm fairly certain that that hadn't been the case for at least a few years before the Perlmutter-imposed licensing ban.

But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Right, but I don't think Fox has any financial stake in, or control of, X-Men or FF licensing/animation that isn't specifically based on films Fox makes with those IP. Maybe they did at one point, but I'm fairly certain that that hadn't been the case for at least a few years before the Perlmutter-imposed licensing ban.

But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah. If Marvel makes X-Men toys off comic designs, like they do now in the Marvel Legends lines, Fox doesn't get anything.

Neither Sony or Fox got money from non-movie merchandise of Spidey/X-Men/F4. The deals weren't that far reaching. Marvel's decision to stop making merchandise of those comic design characters for a while was to stop giving free advertising to what they now basically considered enemies. If kids don't know who the X-Men are maybe the movies won't do as well. Spider-Man is just too big and important to stuff him in a closet though.

One exception I read about was that Marvel liked the Raimi Spider-Man costume design with the raised webbing, and used it in merch but had to license it from Sony since they created it. Sony and Marvel's relationship was always less antagonistic than Fox and Marvel.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 14, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

Finally that MCU Dark Universe crossover everyone had been clamoring for can become reality.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also most of the merchandise from the X-Men movies was from before 2008 when Iron Man came out and Marvel really got started with their own movies. So they probably weren't too concerned about sharing that money with Fox up until then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just one more step towards Shadowrun.

site posted:

Namors entire personality is being a huge loving unlikable rear end in a top hat I'm not sure what genius ever thought you could make a movie about him

He was pretty cool when he did things like punch nazis and sink illegal fishing boats that mess up coral reefs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It wasn't that Marvel couldn't make unconnected cartoons for the FF and X-Men; they in fact DID, in the mid to late 2000's. It's more that those shows would, in their eyes, have basically added up to promotion for the other side. They'd make money on it, maybe, but would it be worth it if all those things did was make kids more interested in watching Fox's movies than reading the stuff they made money on? It's, again, free advertisement that Fox doesn't necessarily have to put any money into.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

He was pretty cool when he did things like punch nazis and sink illegal fishing boats that mess up coral reefs.

And disparaging dogs and barrels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Leaves me sorta hopeful... maybe??

https://twitter.com/benfritz/status/941326372521238528

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MiraMarvelMAX

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Time to dust off Marvel Knights.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Quinten tarantino hits record for most n-words in a movie in 2021s Luke cage

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JT Smiley posted:

Finally that MCU Dark Universe crossover everyone had been clamoring for can become reality.

Gambit Meets The Wolfman

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/RandallJSanders/status/941401271495479298

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Kevin Feige did an interview a year or so ago and he said that from what he understood, Namor could be used by Disney

Namor saves the Avengers and sings "You're Welcome".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so they could have used Namor all this time, they just chose to ignore him?

For all this time, I thought Namor was a long lost relative who had disappeared after a divorce, but in reality, he's an old racist uncle everyone tries to ignore at Thanksgiving.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Namor was great as a member of the Illuminati but only because he was the charismatic rear end in a top hat in a group of assholes.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Namor was great as a member of the Illuminati but only because he was the charismatic rear end in a top hat in a group of assholes.

I wouldn't characterize the Illuminati as all assholes necessarily, but Namor was the only one who didn't waste his time navel-gazing about saving the universe. If anything, that makes him the least assholish (he was still a huge dick)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
People keep worrying about Disney not wanting to make more Deadpool films as if "arbitrarily refusing to make millions of dollars" is a trait that Disney is renowned for. It's one thing if Deadpool starts to get unpopular for whatever reason, but in that case even Fox might not be all that keen for more sequels.

Also they produce the Punisher for pete's sake.

And y'know, it's all well and good to whiff over whether those kinds of R-rated properties are a good fit for Disney, but how come no one talks about how good of a fit something like Fantastic Four is with Disney's more family-friendly brands? I wanna see a PG-rated Fantastic Four. I wanna see it done with a Pixar sensibility. I wanna see them featured at Tomorrowland.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BrianWilly posted:

I wanna see a PG-rated Fantastic Four. I wanna see it done with a Pixar sensibility. I wanna see them featured at Tomorrowland.

Uh, I'm not trying to be a dick here but, there's this one Pixar property that's getting a sequel soon and...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Autism Sneaks posted:

I wouldn't characterize the Illuminati as all assholes necessarily, but Namor was the only one who didn't waste his time navel-gazing about saving the universe. If anything, that makes him the least assholish (he was still a huge dick)

We can actually have an Illuminati movie now. I'd pay good money to see a bunch of heroes stand around a table for two hours.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Samuringa posted:

Uh, I'm not trying to be a dick here but, there's this one Pixar property that's getting a sequel soon and...
Sure, and Incredibles just shows how it can be done. If we're worried about them seeming too similar, any FF film won't be out for at least three or four years and I doubt Incredibles 3 will pop up that soon either (if they're even planning one at all), considering the amount of time it took to just get the second one out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reed, while you were in space we tried to make a Fantastic Four movie but the rights were locked up by some other studio. So we made this thing called The Incredibles instead.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JT Smiley posted:

God, I'd love it if the Dark Universe got handled by someone with as much love and understanding of the monsters as the MCU got.

I hope that Disney doesn't take Aliens and Predator away from Dark Horse, it'd just feel wrong.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

site posted:

NBC bought Vivendi Universal back in 2004.

Comcast then bought NBC Universal back in 2009.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

God, I'd love it if the Dark Universe got handled by someone with as much love and understanding of the monsters as the MCU got.

Shane Black and Fred Dekker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope they take Alien away from Scott and give it to someone who actually knows why they're popular. It's not about aliens, but AI, gently caress you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

I hope they take Alien away from Scott and give it to someone who actually knows why they're popular. It's not about aliens, but AI, gently caress you.

Just...have the two series diverge. Then Ridley Scott can make his AI movies and whoever else wants to can make whatever Alien movies they want.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

catlord posted:

Universal was originally trying to get Guillermo del Toro but he turned it down to try and make In the Mouth of Madness back in 2007.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

David D. Davidson posted:

Universal was originally trying to get Guillermo del Toro but he turned it down to try and make In the Mouth of Madness back in 2007.

At the Mountains of Madness, yeah. There's a lot of people out there who could definitely do something neat with a Universal Monsters universe. Hell, there was talk about Blumhouse doing smaller, cheaper Dark Universe movies, just have them take over the entire thing, just give me my new Mole People movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

catlord posted:

I hope that Disney doesn't take Aliens and Predator away from Dark Horse, it'd just feel wrong.

They'll give them to IDW most likely.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Today has shown a lot of people don’t know what monopoly means.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
^^ As long as there is DC there is a duopoly

Aphrodite posted:

Reed, while you were in space we tried to make a Fantastic Four movie but the rights were locked up by some other studio. So we made this thing called The Incredibles instead.

They could do something like that to incorporate the FF into the current universe-

Turns out they've been missing for 40 years, their shuttle in the 70's was swallowed up in a cosmic rift. Everyone else on earth thought something had gone wrong with the shuttle, assumed they were dead. That way people get their 'fish out of water' story combined with a older, more established Doom, that has been working away in Latveria waiting on their return.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Avengers 3 ends in a universal cataclysm, and we're going back to the 90s in Captain Marvel to see what's up with her not showing up all this time, and check out on a younger Nick Fury(Still Samuel L Jackson)

Avengers 4 ends in an even bigger of a disaster so we go even further back, to the 60s with the Fantastic Four and an even younger Nick Fury(Again, Samuel L Jackson)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
F4 could be lost in space after the botched mission, and due to the effects of time dilation and whatnot be relatively young when they come back.

Or they could just do Ultimate F4 and have them slum up with Peter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aunt may opens the bathroom door to discover anhilius taking a rancid poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Samuringa posted:

Avengers 3 ends in a universal cataclysm, and we're going back to the 90s in Captain Marvel to see what's up with her not showing up all this time, and check out on a younger Nick Fury(Still Samuel L Jackson)

Avengers 4 ends in an even bigger of a disaster so we go even further back, to the 60s with the Fantastic Four and an even younger Nick Fury(Again, Samuel L Jackson)

The former Nick has two eyes, the latter Nick has two eyes and the Pulp Fiction afro

• Locked thread