Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What a bunch of shits. So basically they'll keep doing this forever since the only way to really get to them is to ignore them and someone will always react to their bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stare-Out posted:

What a bunch of shits. So basically they'll keep doing this forever since the only way to really get to them is to ignore them and someone will always react to their bullshit.

There are other methods, but they aren't ours.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Testekill posted:

Sadly it isn't from Southall himself, the people that submit questions for these use a lot of soccer player names as aliases. Which is disappointing because I just love the idea of professional sportsmen being obsessed with the size of Batista's dick.

DAMMIT :( he’s a great twitter follow and it totally sounds like something he’d say

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/on1rLJc.gifv

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The fact that people question whether The Stormer is racist or not is sad and just shows people don't pay attention to detail or history given that Der Stürmer was THE Nazi tabloid of its time and The Stormer is literally the translation. It's so on the nose it's a surprise there's not some sort of copyright/trademark thing about it.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv85YT0LzjM

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What the gently caress, exactly, was he expecting to happen? :psyduck:
I don't know, but he looked really determined right before it happened.
"okay basically, it works like this, you can write articles, if we dont like them you can put them on your own blog or whatever, if we accept them for publication we will pay you $14.88"
I would have thought this was too ridiculous if it were in a work of fiction.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

The guy on the unicycle wearing a Batman costume...... I wonder what he thought getting up in the morning.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

From “Ask A Manager”, http://www.askamanager.org/2017/12/update-i-didnt-get-a-job-because-i-was-a-bully-in-high-school.html

Someone wrote in asking for advice. The letter-writer was blocked from a job by someone who she’d bullied in high school (original letter here: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/04/i-didnt-get-a-job-because-i-was-a-bully-in-high-school.html)

The letter-writer sent an update.

quote:

I know you didn’t solicit an update, but I felt compelled to send one. I’d written you in the spring because I was having trouble breaking into a niche industry in which a high school classmate I’d bullied was a rock star. I wanted to know if you thought apologizing would help me get a job.

At the advice of your readers, I did delete the draft of an apology email I’d had sitting in my inbox for some time. I applied for one more job with Rock Star’s company, and when I didn’t hear back, I decided it was really and truly time to look elsewhere. I found a shop in a town seven hours away that was desperate to hire someone for a paid 9-month fellowship that started in June because the candidate they’d originally extended an offer to found a full-time, permanent position. I said goodbye to my boyfriend, packed up my car and two cats, and drove to a town I’d never been to.

And I hated it. Not the work. I actually loved the work, but the town sucked. Being away from my boyfriend and my family sucked. Not being able to make friends sucked (everyone else my age was married with two kids already). I called my boyfriend every night crying. He was supposed to come visit me over Labor Day but cancelled at the last minute because he had to work. Seeing how bummed I was, a coworker offered to swap shifts with me so I could make the trip home for the long weekend. I hopped into my car after work on Friday and drove all evening, arriving at the place I’d been sharing with my boyfriend before I moved a little after 1 a.m. Well, you probably know where this was going. He was cheating on me. I was devastated. I spent the rest of the night sobbing on my sister’s couch and drove back to where I was working the next morning.

Except I couldn’t make myself get out of bed on Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Or Thursday. I was fired after my third no call no show.

I tried to get the part-time job I’d had before moving for the fellowship back (they’d said come back anytime), but they’d found someone who was faster and more efficient than I’d been. Unable to afford a place on my own, I had to move back in with my parents. Not sure what else to do, I sent another desperate application to Rock Star’s shop. In an effort to cheer me up, my sister and my friends took me out for a nice dinner for my birthday at the end of September. This is where it goes from bad to worse. I drank too much wine at dinner and got pretty weepy. I excused myself from the table to try to put myself together … and ran into Rock Star and her husband celebrating their anniversary on the way to the bathroom.

I ended up yelling/crying at her that she’d ruined my life. I was asked to leave to leave and told I wasn’t welcome back.

That was Saturday night. I spent Sunday hungover in bed, trying to figure out how to clean up the mess I made. On Monday morning, Rock Star’s manager (the one hiring for the job I’d applied for) emailed me to let me know I’d been removed from the candidate pool. She advised me that I would not be considered for future positions at their shop … or any other in the network. That afternoon, without mentioning me or what happened at the restaurant over the weekend, Rock Star tweeted a long thread about how she’d been bullied in high school and she wishes teenagers would realize that high school ends and it does get better. She also tweeted out links to local mental health resources and the National Suicide hotline that were liked/retweeted many, many times.

So, just to recap, no job, no boyfriend, no money, no hope of ever breaking into the industry I spent five years preparing to enter. It’s hard not to feel like some of this is Rock Star’s fault, especially given how she rubbed salt in the wound after my whole world had come crashing down.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Seluin posted:

From “Ask A Manager”, http://www.askamanager.org/2017/12/update-i-didnt-get-a-job-because-i-was-a-bully-in-high-school.html

Someone wrote in asking for advice. The letter-writer was blocked from a job by someone who she’d bullied in high school (original letter here: http://www.askamanager.org/2017/04/i-didnt-get-a-job-because-i-was-a-bully-in-high-school.html)

The letter-writer sent an update.

And that Rock Star was Albert Einstein

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh barf.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, it's so good that it's basically stdh.txt. Especially the unsolicited update.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hey so maybe a British goon can clue me in (since the politics of it is confusing me): is this Brexit thing like, actually still happening? I remember there was some big vote where it was decided but it seems like the people who wanted that are getting clowned on at every turn. Specifically I see Theresa May getting dunked on an awful lot in headlines.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Rough Lobster posted:

Hey so maybe a British goon can clue me in (since the politics of it is confusing me): is this Brexit thing like, actually still happening? I remember there was some big vote where it was decided but it seems like the people who wanted that are getting clowned on at every turn. Specifically I see Theresa May getting dunked on an awful lot in headlines.

We are still committing national suicide, yes.

May does not want Brexit, but all the awful old fuckers in her party do, so she's going through with it anyway.

More shadenfreude will be coming from the pedoph isles :britain:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

Yea, it's so good that it's basically stdh.txt.

More like wank fantasies.com

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ro5s posted:

We are still committing national suicide, yes.

May does not want Brexit, but all the awful old fuckers in her party do, so she's going through with it anyway.

More shadenfreude will be coming from the pedoph isles :britain:

The EU's also offering opt-in EU citizenship to every British citizen, in return for a kind of taxation, just to ensure only the worst garbage will remain on the actual isles.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is Breakfast still threatening to reignite the troubles or did they sort that out?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/h96UC7T.gifv

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Noted vaporware developer Cloud Imperium Games (of Star Citizen fame) is getting sued by Crytek for game engine license misuse

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/13/crytek-sues-star-citizen-developer-cloud-imperium-alleging-copyright-infringement/

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

If you want to publish a paper on armchair lawyerism you will find an endless supply of material here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

It is, if you want a rundown of what the vote last night was about then it's this. So a big part of the drive for Brexit was to bring sovereignty back to parliament, so that the law of the country would be decided by our parliament. But right now we have 40 years worth of EU laws which are not on our statue books as UK laws, just as EU laws which we follow. To ensure there's not a cataclysmic gently caress-up when we leave the EU we need to add all these laws to the UK laws. Now that's all fine and pretty much just procedural, so the government want to use what are called 'Statutory Instruments' to implement them, you don't vote on these, they just happen. Like a presidential executive order almost. Where it got difficult is there have been some notions that they won't actually transpose the laws exactly, alter few things here or there. So over the course of the 1000 or so statutory instruments they want to create they could radically alter the laws of the country without a vote or any real oversight. That and the agreement with the EU would also be implemented in this same way, there would be a notional vote but too late to mean anything.

Last night the vote was, 'hey Brexit was about parliamentary sovereignty' lets actually vote on these changes.

Currently the negotiations are going as expected.

EU Stance : You owe us 50 Billion Euros
UK Stance : We will pay nothing!
Result : We pay 50 Billion Euros

EU Stance : No Hard borders
UK Stance : Hard Borders everywhere!
Result : No Hard Borders.

You get the idea.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

iospace posted:

Twitch bills your account when you A. Sub, and B. on the month anniversary of that sub.

Dunno how they handle subbing on Feb 29th, but it's not all done in a batch.

chitoryu12 posted:

Some people on Patreon will remove posts after a certain time or change the payout levels, so you could end up paying only to not have access to the content you tried to get.

Really, the easiest solution would have been charging everyone individually when they first sign up and then every 30 days after. It shouldn't be so hard.

This was part of the proposed changes, and it was almost as hated as the fee hikes. If you're backing a lot of people this results in lots of small charges every month, which is (depending on how you're paying) potentially a great way to either get your card suspended due to suspected fraud or a great way to get dinged for going over your monthly transaction limit by the bank.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/9Chkn7g.mp4

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

Yea, it's so good that it's basically stdh.txt. Especially the unsolicited update.

Every December Ask A Manager requests that people who have written letters in the past send in updates (which can be pretty interesting) so that part at least is std[id]h.

I love Ask A Manager and suspend disbelief on some of the more absurd letters because I have worked in some places with some people who are absolutely nuts, and I haven't even worked in particularly awful workplaces.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shaden turns to :3: in a moment.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Foxhound posted:

Noted vaporware developer Cloud Imperium Games (of Star Citizen fame) is getting sued by Crytek for game engine license misuse

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/13/crytek-sues-star-citizen-developer-cloud-imperium-alleging-copyright-infringement/

https://www.pacermonitor.com/public/case/23222744/Crytek_GmbH_v_Cloud_Imperium_Games_Corp_et_al

If you want to publish a paper on armchair lawyerism you will find an endless supply of material here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/

Man, I don't really pay attention to any Star Citizen drama or anything, but every time some major things happens, it's always pretty hilarious. They not only used Crytek's stuff for a separate game without permission, but they're removing Crytek logos from marketing stuff. How did they think any of this was above board? Or I guess that they wouldn't get caught for this poo poo?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Man, I don't really pay attention to any Star Citizen drama or anything, but every time some major things happens, it's always pretty hilarious. They not only used Crytek's stuff for a separate game without permission, but they're removing Crytek logos from marketing stuff. How did they think any of this was above board? Or I guess that they wouldn't get caught for this poo poo?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

SpacePig posted:

Except they have more than fairly compensated Crytek with a whole fleet of ships, I don't really see what the problem is.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Did we already see this?
https://twitter.com/UPROXX/status/941306036123852800

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Kid had it coming, IMO.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gorson posted:

Kid had it coming, IMO.

I heard the kid was autistic.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ekuNNN posted:

I heard the kid was autistic.

:perfect:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

SpacePig posted:

"We're not calling it CryEngine anymore, we're calling it StarEngine"

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Also note their quick defense of "everything is totally fine, Crytek is obviously wrong and we are very disappointed in them" and unofficially in the subreddit something along the lines of "we bought the rights to the engine" when it was blatantly obvious to anyone that no they didn't, they licensed out CryEngine at a notable discount because Crytek was desperate for cash.

It's hilarious they then didn't even bother to take the basic few steps necessary to avoid getting sued by Crytek for breach of licensing contract. That is just some grade A incompetence, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, really, what with all the shadiness over what all that backer money is really being spent on.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Ruflux posted:

Also note their quick defense of "everything is totally fine, Crytek is obviously wrong and we are very disappointed in them" and unofficially in the subreddit something along the lines of "we bought the rights to the engine" when it was blatantly obvious to anyone that no they didn't, they licensed out CryEngine at a notable discount because Crytek was desperate for cash.

It's hilarious they then didn't even bother to take the basic few steps necessary to avoid getting sued by Crytek for breach of licensing contract. That is just some grade A incompetence, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, really, what with all the shadiness over what all that backer money is really being spent on.

Hey if it's on the internet it's public domain!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel stupid I bought the most basic star citizen package way back in the day, this was before I had ever been burned on early access or kickstarters.

I keep getting the emails, I'll skim the headline or what ever but they always leave me feeling so sad for the true believers. Why are they keeping up this ridiculous farce? Why can't they just let the project die? Is it still profitable? Are people still really sending them money?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ruflux posted:

Wait a minute, do they genuinely think that they bought CryEngine wholesale and could use it as they pleased? Is that honestly their defense? Like, they thought they could call it StarEngine because they owned CryEngine? This is ridiculous.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Step 1. Invite a lawsuit from the people that own your vaporware game's engine
Step 2. Settle lawsuit for an undisclosed sum and agree to dump game's engine
Step 3. Ask for more $$$ from fans to fund development on the new engine, continue to embezzle cash

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Grey Fox posted:

Step 3. Ask for more $$$ from fans to fund development on the new engine, continue to embezzle cash

Unfortunately the sunk cost fallacy will keep a portion of whales invested even at a lower income value, perhaps enough to limp along indefinitely.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baronjutter posted:

I feel stupid I bought the most basic star citizen package way back in the day, this was before I had ever been burned on early access or kickstarters.

I keep getting the emails, I'll skim the headline or what ever but they always leave me feeling so sad for the true believers. Why are they keeping up this ridiculous farce? Why can't they just let the project die? Is it still profitable? Are people still really sending them money?

I think they're still bringing in a couple of million a month.

The "real estate" they sold recently would have helped that.