Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

best app to browse the two good parts of reddit: /r/chapotraphouse and the dog reddits

cth is good but the reddit is a loving reddit and therefore contractually obligated to be full of old memes and circlejerking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thank you to new google app

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bhodi posted:

just disable that poo poo, it's in the options

problem is i want it if im idlin somewhere. it needs a hook into location data to check if im moving at literally any speed over the past minute to disable. i want to auto-connect to coffeeshop wifi but not so much break all network connections when i walk past the local community college on the way home.

also idk what im doing my fenix mobile data usage is consistently over a gig. i really wish it had a better "just preload literally loving all images and avatars for unread tweets over wifi" option--at present it's like "welp app's not open can't do poo poo" and "hmm despite a 1000 unread tweet list i'll only load images for the next hundred or so".

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

problem is i want it if im idlin somewhere. it needs a hook into location data to check if im moving at literally any speed over the past minute to disable. i want to auto-connect to coffeeshop wifi but not so much break all network connections when i walk past the local community college on the way home.

also idk what im doing my fenix mobile data usage is consistently over a gig. i really wish it had a better "just preload literally loving all images and avatars for unread tweets over wifi" option--at present it's like "welp app's not open can't do poo poo" and "hmm despite a 1000 unread tweet list i'll only load images for the next hundred or so".

tweetbot uses at most half that for me afaik; sounds like your os is a pos

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

heres what i did to fix it

i got an unlimited data plan then i removed every saved wifi network and i use mobile data for everything except for when im at home

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

not janitoring your data owns idk why anyone would bother to otherwise. as someone here put it, fi is what happens when you ask someone who is on fast wifi at home, on their company commuter bus, and at work to make a cell network

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

anthonypants posted:

lmao if you think discussing lefty politics with redditors is in any way redeeming

it's the only good leftist part of reddit other than /r/COMPLETEANARCHY because everyone is depressed and in hell

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

atomicthumbs posted:

leftist part of reddit

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

it's the only good leftist part of reddit other than /r/COMPLETEANARCHY because everyone is depressed and in hell

me_irl

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

not janitoring your data owns idk why anyone would bother to otherwise. as someone here put it, fi is what happens when you ask someone who is on fast wifi at home, on their company commuter bus, and at work to make a cell network

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

google's 2fa is getting stupid. add it to thunderbird and i get a call for the code (ok, i asked for it to do this because i had something get hosed up once when i had it send me texts), google pops up a little "did you get it yet?" box that steals focus from the text box as i'm typing it, sends an email to me and my old one that i gave it as a backup, and notifies my phone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

google's 2fa is getting stupid. add it to thunderbird and i get a call for the code (ok, i asked for it to do this because i had something get hosed up once when i had it send me texts), google pops up a little "did you get it yet?" box that steals focus from the text box as i'm typing it, sends an email to me and my old one that i gave it as a backup, and notifies my phone

only do the kind of 2fa that texts or emails you if you have no other choice

totp ("google authenticator" with the six digit codes) is good and works everywhere
u2f (one of these, generally requires usb) is the best but you can't use it on your phone and you gotta use chrome or firefox

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more apps should use Microsoft authenticator so I can do push notifications instead of having to enter codes.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Cocoa Crispies posted:

totp ("google authenticator" with the six digit codes) is good and works everywhere
u2f (one of these, generally requires usb) is the best but you can't use it on your phone and you gotta use chrome or firefox

I have one of those yubikeys with nfc built in. I swear I used the nfc with my phone once, but i don't remember what for.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new chrome bug of the day: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=117655

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i don't remember the exact details because it was probably 3 years ago already but i was messing with my phone and text messages stopped working and i had to log in to verify it, and guess what, it needed the 2fa.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

u2f looks good but it doesnt support keepass so ehhh

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i thought the nss witch was for firefox

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hifi posted:

u2f looks good but it doesnt support keepass so ehhh

you mean keep rear end doesnt support u2f

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
sometimes when I select a word in a pdf while in desktop chome's pdf reader, it puts the little android text selection brackets on either side for a half-second :tinfoil:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The windows versions of Google's apps (chrome, PDF reader, docs, etc) actually are just wrappers for a chromeos vm that runs the desired app within it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's fine cause its not like anyone uses them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the chrome pdf viewer is a steaming pile of garbage

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
imo when it came out the chrome pdf viewer was a big improvement over installing adobe software just to view pdfs. nowadays idk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

Blue Train posted:

The windows versions of Google's apps (chrome, PDF reader, docs, etc) actually are just wrappers for a chromeos vm that runs the desired app within it

lomarf

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

imo when it came out the chrome pdf viewer was a big improvement over installing adobe software just to view pdfs. nowadays idk

faint praise

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Blue Train posted:

oh my god

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
speaking of chrome apps, the hangouts chrome app manages to crash multiple times per day while just sitting idle. Im not sure how a browser window crashes.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Blue Train posted:

yeah im pretty sure this isn't true

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CommunistPancake posted:

yeah im pretty sure this isn't true

jokes? in MY yospos?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

The Management posted:

speaking of chrome apps, the hangouts chrome app manages to crash multiple times per day while just sitting idle. Im not sure how a browser window crashes.

Sounds like the wrong OS

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

i'm not a programmer but memory leak??

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm not a programmer but memory leak??

from what Ive seen its more like a random network timeout that just causes the whole thing to reload out of nowhere

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
as you can imagine, i cannot even begin to relate how unsupported that thing is. it's even using apis chrome has stopped letting anything but it target lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

its because webkit and all its derivatives are a loving disaster

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

its because webkit and all its derivatives are a loving disaster
being better than edge would be damning with faint praise if there were any actually good internet browsers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Don't let your google hangout!!

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

am i loving up or is google drive completely broken

we've moved over to it at work for some reason and i'm pretty sure everyone's already had a major problem with it within the first week

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theyre probably planning on sunsetting it randomly

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

anthonypants posted:

being better than edge would be damning with faint praise if there were any actually good internet browsers
edge is a p good pdf reader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
edge's pdf reader is actually kind of lovely and I still use Sumatra pdf for the most part.

• Locked thread