Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enfys posted:

As much as this thread likes to poo poo on horses, equine therapy is legit and can be hugely helpful for children/adults with disabilities and to children from really troubled backgrounds or dealing with trauma.

Horses aren't inherently the fragile lunatics this thread likes to joke about, and for someone with serious disabilities, being able to care for and ride a large, gentle animal really helps develop a sense of agency along with a lot of other mental and physical skills. For kids with physical and developmental disabilities, it's a gentle but engaging way to practice motor skills or do rehab work. It's hard to explain to a disabled kid that they have to do a bunch of weird and painful things for reasons that don't make sense to them, but much easier to get them to brush a horse or sit in a saddle. For kids who spend a lot of time in a hospital or care situation with little to no ability to control what's happening to them or assert themselves, it's a really good tool.

For kids dealing with serious trauma or coming from really rough backgrounds, it's a big deal to be able to work with this huge powerful animal way bigger and stronger than you are and to take charge of its care in a way that rewards your effort and attention.

:horse:

Please do not troll this thread, the balance here is extremely fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
poor thread, saw a horse and died

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Moneyball posted:

Clearly it's called a study, you uncultured swine.

Drawing room, plebe.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/ups-td-canada-trust-bank-draft-1.4447384

I feel really sad for these people. They got screwed over by that bank, and it probably wouldn't have happened if the bank had said "treat this exactly like cash, because it is"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s a six figure sum. Why the gently caress didn’t they do a wire transfer instead of mailing a bank draft, for gently caress’s sake?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Or drive it themselves. Or do any number of things.

Also it’s an inheritance. It’s not the reason they’re broke.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I read the article so I want to refine my earlier sentiment: lmao gently caress that bank.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 14, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I would prefer if the bank made good by giving the money to that indebted couple, so they could burn through it and fuel our economy. Thoughts and prayers for their money :pray:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

UPS refunded the $32 it charged Hebert to ship the bank draft. UPS also sent him a letter apologizing, "for any inconvenience."

lol sorry, bye

A wire transfer would have cost less money than the shipment as well. I wonder why no one at the bank suggested that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Should have insured the package for $900k just in case.

edit:
My guess is they did mention a wire, but it cost more than the draft. At my bank wires are like 3 times more expensive.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 14, 2017

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
If she's the executrix of the estate, why not just close the dad's current account and open a new one? I can't imagine any bank honoring a draft for over $800k on a closed account.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GamingHyena posted:

If she's the executrix of the estate, why not just close the dad's current account and open a new one? I can't imagine any bank honoring a draft for over $800k on a closed account.
This is a great idea but I get the sense the bank is going to find a way to keep its claws wrapped around that dough.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

Bank drafts have nothing to do with the account you draw them from - they are drawn on funds of the bank, not funds in your account like an ACH. They are guaranteed by the bank, not you.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/bank_draft.asp

If you have a $800k balance they will waive your wire transfer fee. Heck, open an account there and have them transfer the money internally. This is completely a penny-wise decision, and now they should really be engaging their attorney to get this handled. Right now it seems like the branch manager is trying to save face if they insisted on the bank draft over a wire transfer. I bet when it all shakes out they just didn't want to pay $25 on both sides of the wire transfer, instead paying $32 for a UPS package.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Should have insured the package for $900k just in case.

The issue is not insuring the UPS package. The moment you told them it was a $800k value they would have noped right the hell out of that. As I recall they won't insure a package over $25k. (Shipping $40k in network equipment, had to break it into two $20k boxes.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hope that UPS worker cashes it somewhere with no extradition laws and lives a life of reserved dignity.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

And what is this "something else" that our hero who "understands debt better than the average person" looking to invest in.

You'll never, ever guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why doesn't he just get a credit card?! Earn bonus points while you make a killing in the cryto market!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

Help, can I commit tax fraud to save $37???

Historically, this has been 100% a legitimate write off for film industry workers, at least in Canada.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

The Butcher posted:

And what is this "something else" that our hero who "understands debt better than the average person" looking to invest in.

You'll never, ever guess.

LOL at "I understand debt better than the average person :smug:" A prime example of Dunning-Kruger right here, folks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You'd think the United States had the worst banks, racists, cell phone service, environmental damage, and housing markets but then Canada sneaks in there and surprises everyone.

Banks love to blame someone. To the extent that they'll write their processes to ensure you violate some rule in day-to-day business just so they can come back and blame you if/when something goes sour. Back at Bank of America we couldn't take state issued ID cards as identification, but you can't really refuse people who only had ID cards. So you'd have to get approvals and follow extra steps, but if the check came back bad they'd still find a way to ding you. Because someone's always at fault.

It sounds like the system is set up to blame someone if that bank draft is cashed, but it's such a large amount that it inadvertently blames people who actually matter so the bank is paralyzed into inaction. No one's going to let you blame a teller or bank manager for a $846k loss.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

. Back at Bank of America we couldn't take state issued ID cards as identification

What.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

You'd think the United States had the worst banks, racists, cell phone service, environmental damage, and housing markets but then Canada sneaks in there and surprises everyone.

Banks love to blame someone. To the extent that they'll write their processes to ensure you violate some rule in day-to-day business just so they can come back and blame you if/when something goes sour. Back at Bank of America we couldn't take state issued ID cards as identification, but you can't really refuse people who only had ID cards. So you'd have to get approvals and follow extra steps, but if the check came back bad they'd still find a way to ding you. Because someone's always at fault.

It sounds like the system is set up to blame someone if that bank draft is cashed, but it's such a large amount that it inadvertently blames people who actually matter so the bank is paralyzed into inaction. No one's going to let you blame a teller or bank manager for a $846k loss.

Lol Bank of America is is the second shittiest bank in the US. I can't think of anywhere else that would have that rule. I would be surprised if there were no rulings on that being discrimimatory due to disparate impact.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

In the interest of full disclosure I work for a different large bank.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
TD Canada is generally pretty cool about things. At one point I somehow got both my credit card and debit card skimmed and TD handled literally everything for both the credit and debit charges, I didn't have to report anything (they actually contacted me first because they noticed it right away) and got all my money back within days (not the actual stolen cash lol cuz that poo poo is gone, they just settled my accounts).

So not sure what happened with that guy, maybe it's an rear end in a top hat branch, but I'm sure with the national exposure now, TD HQ is going to fix this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Lol Bank of America is is the second shittiest bank in the US. I can't think of anywhere else that would have that rule. I would be surprised if there were no rulings on that being discrimimatory due to disparate impact.

To clarify, national banks can vary their rules from state to state and technically this wasn't Bank of America but NationsBank, which merged and took over Bank of America. It's easier to say Bank of America than a bank that hasn't existed in name since the 1990's. It probably was discriminatory if it was enforced, but it rarely was. It did slow down transaction speed, but ID card holders are usually poorer and that means they're not deposit holders so who cares. However it did give the bank a teller to blame.

I rolled my grandmother into her credit union to cash a check once and they wouldn't take an expired ID card for an 84 year old woman who had spent the last year in a rehab facility. Banks can be real dicks about ID even if they can verify you in other ways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How is that even possible. A government issued photo ID wouldn't count? We can accept drone pilot licenses for fucks sake.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zo posted:

TD Canada is generally pretty cool about things. At one point I somehow got both my credit card and debit card skimmed and TD handled literally everything for both the credit and debit charges, I didn't have to report anything (they actually contacted me first because they noticed it right away) and got all my money back within days (not the actual stolen cash lol cuz that poo poo is gone, they just settled my accounts).

This is normal. Mpst nanks of reasonable size habe a fraud detection mechanism to identify suspicious transactions and head them off at the pass. In tje US they would be required to refund any money from fraudulent electronic transactions.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol i just checked and yeah TD headquarters is nipping this poo poo in the bud. like within 10 hours of the story breaking?

quote:

TD Canada Trust has apologized to an Ontario family and released more than $846,000, hours after CBC News reported that their original bank draft had been lost by UPS. 

"We understand that we've reached a resolution with our customer," bank spokeswoman Cheryl Ficker told CBC News via email. 

"It's clear to us we didn't get this right along the way and that there was more we could have done to come to a resolution faster." 

Lorette Taylor confirmed the new bank draft is with her family's lawyer. "It looks like the matter will be settled," she said.

they have a pretty good reputation for being consumer friendly and will be very protective of that reputation

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

therobit posted:

This is normal. Mpst nanks of reasonable size habe a fraud detection mechanism to identify suspicious transactions and head them off at the pass. In tje US they would be required to refund any money from fraudulent electronic transactions.

For credit card - yes. for debit card - no (at least not automatically, there are some hoops). this is true in both american and canada afaik

which is why i was surprised TD reimbursed my account without me even having to file a police report (or any kind of report)

p.s. use a swipe keyboard on your phone and you will type both faster and without a typo every other word (it's not that i mind the typos, swipe is just way better). google keyboard has it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Zo posted:

lol i just checked and yeah TD headquarters is nipping this poo poo in the bud. like within 10 hours of the story breaking?

Good for them but it's still BWM to trust UPS with a nearly $1 million bank draft.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's just loving stupid. Flat out stupid. May as well tossed it all in a suitcase and sent it by stagecoach.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

How is that even possible. A government issued photo ID wouldn't count? We can accept drone pilot licenses for fucks sake.

This was the mid-90's and it was becoming easier to create fake ID's. Maybe people were forging more ID's compared to licenses.

Banks don't have to make sense. My current credit union locks down my account if I try to purchase anything from the UK or, of all places, Etsy. Like completely locks everything down and my debit card won't even work until the automated system calls me several hours later.

Apparently a lot of fraud goes through Etsy.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's just loving stupid. Flat out stupid. May as well tossed it all in a suitcase and sent it by stagecoach.
There's highwaymen on the road to Bristol. Send it via carrier pigeon.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Never mind. I've instructed my man to send it via postal zeppelin.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This book must be out of date, I don't see "Prussia," "Siam," or "autogyro."

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Scratch that, I'm sending it in gold doubloons on this old Spanish galleon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Zo posted:

For credit card - yes. for debit card - no (at least not automatically, there are some hoops). this is true in both american and canada afaik

which is why i was surprised TD reimbursed my account without me even having to file a police report (or any kind of report)

p.s. use a swipe keyboard on your phone and you will type both faster and without a typo every other word (it's not that i mind the typos, swipe is just way better). google keyboard has it.

Yeah i should use the swipe keyboard. I just got a phone that has one worth a drat but habits are hard to break.

The main difference with debit card liabilty is when it comes to pin based transactions, but absent those i would expect a pretty fast resolution in that situation given they can see a bunch of suspicious charges. Banks overall have gotten better at responding quickly to both transactions that look weird and consumer reports of fraud in the last 10 years.

The issue with pin based is that it is really hard to show you had nothing to do with it if your PIN, which only you should have access to, was used. Crooks have gotten more sophisticated with placing cameras to watch you key it in, but I sure have seen some circumstances where a family member used it and you know the customer was either in on it or has given them permission before. Those are the times we require a police report. Your situation seems a little more cut and dried.

Of course I don't work for a super lovely bank like Wells Fargo of B of A so YMMV.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

This was the mid-90's and it was becoming easier to create fake ID's. Maybe people were forging more ID's compared to licenses.

Banks don't have to make sense. My current credit union locks down my account if I try to purchase anything from the UK or, of all places, Etsy. Like completely locks everything down and my debit card won't even work until the automated system calls me several hours later.

Apparently a lot of fraud goes through Etsy.

They don't have to make sense, and the regulatory environment was a lot different back then but these days there would be a disparate impact if not a disparate treatment finding.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

But what's the alternative to a state-issued ID? I mean, if they don't accept that, what do they accept? Something that looks like a utility bill that someone could have made up on a manual typewriter?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Krispy Wafer posted:

To clarify, national banks can vary their rules from state to state and technically this wasn't Bank of America but NationsBank, which merged and took over Bank of America. It's easier to say Bank of America than a bank that hasn't existed in name since the 1990's. It probably was discriminatory if it was enforced, but it rarely was. It did slow down transaction speed, but ID card holders are usually poorer and that means they're not deposit holders so who cares. However it did give the bank a teller to blame.

I rolled my grandmother into her credit union to cash a check once and they wouldn't take an expired ID card for an 84 year old woman who had spent the last year in a rehab facility. Banks can be real dicks about ID even if they can verify you in other ways.

Do you mean non-driver's license here when you say "ID Card"? If not, what would be accepted? Passport? First born?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

YMMV but my state ID card is literally identical in every way to a driver's license except it says "Identification Card" instead of "Driver's License" at the top.

Raldikuk posted:

Do you mean non-driver's license here when you say "ID Card"? If not, what would be accepted? Passport? First born?

Usually the rub is they require two pieces of identification, one has to be photo ID issued by the state or federal government (driver's license, state ID, military ID, passport) and one has to be something with your name and address on it (utility bill, &c).