Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Apart from the character EQs, that maybe emulate some vintage device and regular EQs (that do not intentionally emphasize a particular distortion profile), you've got technical EQs that just plain use different maths. Like linear phase EQs. Phase distortion normally is a fundamental characteristic of EQing (it's pretty much the how of it) and these plugins do things differently, apparently. Digital EQs also can create aliasing in the high frequencies, and there are EQs paying special attention to preventing that. Both of which try to be more transparent sounding than traditional EQ technology. There are EQ's that focus on giving you the most linear curve when doing very sharp cutoffs (where that would typically give you a bump in the part you're not explicitly trying to affect), maybe trough fast Fourier transformation. There are probably more types that I haven't heard about.

On synth plugins, you may have noticed the presence of different filter emulation types. There are many that actually do sound differently. It's very similar in EQs as they pretty much are a bank of filters.

And then, yeah, features and interface and intentional limits on features and interface, leading you to different results.

My favorite one is Nyquist EQ 5, which lets you just manipulate nodes on a curve without bothering with showing you any further visual feedback of what you're doing, like numbers or spectral graphs. I find that it helps me to listen more intently to what the effect is. I'd be using my eyes too much otherwise. Too bad it's 32 bit only, ancient and on one occasion stopped loading in my DAW until I re-installed the latter.

But it's like with different compressor plugins. The various characters are no substitute for understanding what everything on the device does and why. You can probably do 90% of what you need with the general purpose ones that come with your DAW and it wouldn't have made a difference if you used some specialty plugin. And then you've got vocals or acoustic guitars where subtlety is name of the game, for a natural sound. There you might benefit from one or two particular EQs. But you don't need to have and memorize twenty for every different type of snare sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think with EQ, unless you are going for 'analog warmth' or 'colour' most of it comes down to personal preference and workflow. Unless I'm doing something extreme to a sound, 90% of the time Cubase's channel eq is what I use because it's already there in place ready to go. Occasionally I'll need more bands but it's not often, in which case I use Fabfilter's Pro-Q2 because it's big and graphical.

When I bought the FabFilter Package, I started a bad habit of using the Pro-Q for loving every EQing situation. Quickly found out that eats CPU and is really unnecessary in a lot of applications. I have gone back to using Ableton EQ8 for 90%+ of my EQing needs and save Pro-Q2 for more detailed work or on groups/busses.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

When I bought the FabFilter Package, I started a bad habit of using the Pro-Q for loving every EQing situation. Quickly found out that eats CPU and is really unnecessary in a lot of applications. I have gone back to using Ableton EQ8 for 90%+ of my EQing needs and save Pro-Q2 for more detailed work or on groups/busses.

I think Pro-Q2's CPU usage has quietly improved in recent memory, actually. Or it possibly may be a weird DAW-specific issue. All I know is I had about 16 instances of it in a Reaper session the other day and saw no appreciable increase in CPU usage.

This was on PC though, for all I know AU version is a CPU hog.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

MockingQuantum posted:

I think Pro-Q2's CPU usage has quietly improved in recent memory, actually. Or it possibly may be a weird DAW-specific issue. All I know is I had about 16 instances of it in a Reaper session the other day and saw no appreciable increase in CPU usage.

This was on PC though, for all I know AU version is a CPU hog.

You know now that you mention it, I think I need to install an update for Pro-Q. Maybe that will fix the CPU issue I was having previously.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

You know now that you mention it, I think I need to install an update for Pro-Q. Maybe that will fix the CPU issue I was having previously.

It's worth checking, FabFilter has always had CPU issues and they've always been aware of it, so they tend to incrementally improve on every update.

iZotope is another one like that, if you have iZotope products that are CPU killers it's always worth checking if there's a new point release that improves performance.

Though stuff like Ozone will always slap even a decent CPU in the face, given how much DSP is packed into a single instance of it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ozone is the one thing guaranteed to chew on my cpu (3570k at 4.2ghz) so I save it til I'm pretty much done except mixing but holy poo poo does it make everything sound wonderful. I'm glad Trash 2 is so light as I'm using that loads recently on pretty much anything, it's my favourite distortion/FSU plugin of all time, so versatile. Haven't had any issues with Pro-Q2 but as I said its not often I'll use it and I'm a serial render-in-place/freeze+flatten/bouncer so YMMV.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
There was a fair bit of controversy when Waves released the F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ because there were already products on the market that do what it does but also include a real-time EQ visualization. (The F6 interface only shows you the theoretical EQ curves, not the actual sonic impact on the material.)

Waves' response was that visualizers eat a ton of CPU and they designed this plugin to be low-resource enough that you could insert it on every channel.

(Personally I would have preferred a toggle option for enabling/disabling the visualizer, but there ya go.) I use Voxengo GlissEQ, which does visualize, and is just a general powerhouse, but it's def. not something I'd use on every track.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh hey this is a good time to ask: I don't own any dynamic EQs, and in fact they're something I know very little about, for some reason. I do a lot of live mixing, so it's bizarre that I seemed to miss the boat on them, but eh. What are the forefront contenders in dynamic EQs? And just so I make sure I have it straight in my head, how are dynamic EQs different from multiband compressor? Do they mostly offer you EQ level precision on what frequencies you're affecting? I use multiband compression a lot, and honestly it's not all that frequent that I find myself going "man I wish I could have six small bands instead of three broad ones." But maybe I would, if I could?!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

In a way it is an infinity multiband compressor, yes. You can also think of it as working the way a de-esser does, but along a curve over the whole spectrum. Because most of the use cases are similar ie. you want to apply a cut, but only where that frequency band is washed out with it, not the rest of the mix. Or you want to boost high frequencies without also overblowing the already very present hihats.

If it's your own project and you have everything available on separate tracks, it's less useful to go dynamic eq on the mix than to just eq and compress the individual tracks appropriately, obviously.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

slowfreq posted:

What is the difference between all of the EQ VSTs besides looks? Is there anything that makes one EQ VST better than another, besides more bands?

Hot take: all digital parametric EQs are the same.

http://ericbeam.com/?p=361

I have Equivocate because it matches stuff and for all the rest I just use EQ8. Fabfilters UIs are really nice though and I like their Saturn plugin a lot.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2017

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd probably stick to DAW EQs in general, if I hadn't bought a lot of the Fabfilter stuff on an educational discount. Nice thing about FabFilter is their UIs are indeed really good, but more than that, they're consistent. If you learn your way around one FabFilter plugin, you can pretty much fumble your way through all of them.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MockingQuantum posted:

What are the forefront contenders in dynamic EQs? And just so I make sure I have it straight in my head, how are dynamic EQs different from multiband compressor?
To my understanding the primary difference between a dynamic EQ vs dynamic comressor is that the EQ can boost OR cut on any band, while the compressor can only cut. I think the EQs also offer more bands/finer controls?

As for front-runners, the only one I've used really is Voxengo GlissEQ, but I always hear people talking about FabFilter Pro-MB, Izotope Neutron, and Tokyo Dawn Records Nova. (That last one is gorgeous to look at, but haven't heard it in action.)

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it's your own project and you have everything available on separate tracks, it's less useful to go dynamic eq on the mix than to just eq and compress the individual tracks appropriately, obviously.
Yeah- the times I''ve used dynamic EQ were to sculpt pre-recorded drum loops where I didn't have all the drums on separate channels.

K-EJ
Nov 19, 2006
Native Instruments has released their Christmas freebies. A free phaser, $25 voucher, and entry for a prize drawing: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2017/

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Thank you! I always like grabbing up their freebies.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

Are Image-Line going to be doing any sales this year? They usually do a Christmas/end-of-year thing around this time, but I've not heard anything up to now. I've been dying to get Sakura but $99 is a little too much for me right now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I should ask here or in the electronic music thread, but here goes;

Are there any good synth/vst ways of getting that space-filling crunchiness you get from extremely distorted guitars, staying entirely in-box? No specific sound in mind, but I enjoy how much (musical) noise that stuff can add to a track and so far I haven't been able to capture that vibe with my synths. Making stuff crunchy or distorted is one thing, but making it actually sound good is another entirely :v:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Your Computer posted:

Not sure if I should ask here or in the electronic music thread, but here goes;

Are there any good synth/vst ways of getting that space-filling crunchiness you get from extremely distorted guitars, staying entirely in-box? No specific sound in mind, but I enjoy how much (musical) noise that stuff can add to a track and so far I haven't been able to capture that vibe with my synths. Making stuff crunchy or distorted is one thing, but making it actually sound good is another entirely :v:

Guitar Rig 5?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Izotope Trash 2!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Comedy answer, Image-Line's "Slayer 2" :smug:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the distortion recommendations, I also remembered one I thought about buying at some point; FXpansion Maul

Maybe I should've rephrased my question a bit though. I'm wondering if there's a way to do this with just synths (so no guitar), and simply slapping a distortion on any old synth patch isn't going to make the kind of sound I'm after. The effects mentioned look pretty great, but I'm also really wondering about how to use them v:v:v Specifically, a problem I've had with trying to make that sort of noisy distortion with a synth is that it sounds too static and harsh and I can't figure out how to make it sound more varied and "melodic" if that makes sense. I assume a lot of it has to do with the inherent variability of playing an actual instrument, so obviously the correct choice would be "use a guitar, idiot" but I think it'd be neat to try to approximate something like it with synths :shobon:

Also should've mentioned I'm not looking for lead sounds but rather something to "fill out" the track, and also I know nothing about guitars. I guess that's the rhythm guitar, playing chords and stuff?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Guitar Rig, Trash and many others will have 'convolution' aka 'cabinet' sounds in them, this is a big part of what makes something sound 'guitarlike'. With Trash I'll often use the convolution module but only at about 20% wet.

There's free impulse response/cabinet sims out there to give a try, Ignite Amps' one is really good and I think Voxengo have a free one too. Try a freebie after what you are currently doing to process your sounds and see if that gets you closer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I hadn't even thought about that, that's real neat. Looks like I have more stuff to wrap my head around.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the distortion recommendations, I also remembered one I thought about buying at some point; FXpansion Maul

Maybe I should've rephrased my question a bit though. I'm wondering if there's a way to do this with just synths (so no guitar), and simply slapping a distortion on any old synth patch isn't going to make the kind of sound I'm after. The effects mentioned look pretty great, but I'm also really wondering about how to use them v:v:v Specifically, a problem I've had with trying to make that sort of noisy distortion with a synth is that it sounds too static and harsh and I can't figure out how to make it sound more varied and "melodic" if that makes sense. I assume a lot of it has to do with the inherent variability of playing an actual instrument, so obviously the correct choice would be "use a guitar, idiot" but I think it'd be neat to try to approximate something like it with synths :shobon:

Also should've mentioned I'm not looking for lead sounds but rather something to "fill out" the track, and also I know nothing about guitars. I guess that's the rhythm guitar, playing chords and stuff?

I don't have any real answers to your questions, unfortunately, but for what it's worth, I have a good stable of distortion plugins and Maul is always the last one I go to. I'm not sure what it is about it, it may just be preference, but I'm never that happy with the sound I get out of it. On the other hand, I use Trash 2, Saturn, Decapitator, and Guitar Rig nearly constantly for all kinds of saturation and distortion duty. They all kind of do things differently enough that I've never found it excessive to have all of them.

Edit: I just double-checked and based on youtube videos I think I must actually have a stripped down version of Maul, from ComputerMusic or something. So take my post with a grain of salt, but I think the basic distortion algorithm is the same, mine's just lacking all the modulation stuff. I'd still say Trash 2 gives you more options, and Saturn makes more sense to me visually.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 15, 2017

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
GR5 is great because you have a large variety of components to choose from. not just cabinets but delays, reverbs, phasers. and you can save these combinations as presets - not to mention an extensive collection of presets, which are basically just like having the signalchains of some of the worlds most famous guitartones. Wanna try the sound from the police's message in a bottle on your rhodes chords? done in 3 seconds. Its actually very popular in DnB circles.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd be down for this.

Or maybe a "limit yourself to one plugin + percussion" sort of challenge.

Either one would be fun, and would make me regret not buying beer with the money I've spent on VSTs a little less.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

K-EJ posted:

Native Instruments has released their Christmas freebies. A free phaser, $25 voucher, and entry for a prize drawing: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/happy-holidays-2017/

The phaser doesn't work on Mavericks wtf :cry:

And yeah, if you want to make a synth sound guitar-like definitely start with some sort of guitar amp/pedal sim suite like Guitar Rig, AmpliTube etc if you can.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Played around a bit with cabinet sims and looked a bit more at Trash and Guitar Rig. This is really neat stuff, and it definitely makes a big difference compared to just distorting. Thanks! Do either of those plugins go on sale with any regularity?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd be down for this.

Or maybe a "limit yourself to one plugin + percussion" sort of challenge.
Sounds like fun! I would definitely be interested in joining if someone made a thread.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Damnit I downloaded the Buchla Easel V demo and this thing is pretty neat too. Maybe I can convince myself that buying the 200€ V Collection upgrade counts as a christmas present... for myself? :negative:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Your Computer posted:

Played around a bit with cabinet sims and looked a bit more at Trash and Guitar Rig. This is really neat stuff, and it definitely makes a big difference compared to just distorting. Thanks! Do either of those plugins go on sale with any regularity?

Amplitube has a free version you can add stuff to a la carte. You don't get much to start with but you do get a knockoff Marshall that is IMO pretty solid.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ignite Amps has a few decent freeware hi-gain amp sims and a couple of 'pedals' too.

What DAW are you using? If you're using Ableton Live (except Lite, which has gently caress all for distortion plugins included) its pretty simple to make your own multiband distortions using FX racks.

Don't underestimate the power of chaining a few distortions at less distorted settings and eqs in between. Or absolutely hammering compression plugins' makeup gain (just make sure to put a limiter at the end of the chain!)

https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/fsu

FSU stands for 'gently caress poo poo up', you'll find some gnarly freeware in there.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
God loving dammit, Arturia

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Tayter Swift posted:

God loving dammit, Arturia

It's worth the wait tho; the Buchla is endless fun.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Crosspost from the synth thread:

Anybody used an Artiphon Instrument 1? I'm more of a guitarist than keyboardist so it's super intriguing to me, but not the kind of thing I'd feel comfortable impulse-buying without some good reviews.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I know it might sound like a shot in the dark, but does anyone have the Spectrasonic's Omnisphere 2? Considering it's about 400 quid, I don't expect anyone to have it unless you work in a studio or do professional work.

I've emailed their marketing but I still haven't heard back.

I just want to know if they have the entirety of the Distorted Reality 1, 2 and Bizzare Guitar sound libraries. Can someone confirm this?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Any particular patch in Distorted Reality I can verify for you?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Unless posted:

Any particular patch in Distorted Reality I can verify for you?

If you can confirm these samples exist, then that should be everything:

From Bizarre Guitar:
SLEEPCYCL2
SHUDD
NEPAL
SEDATION
VAPORCHIME
VERBONICS
THRUSH
HEREAFTER
FEEDIES 1

From Distorted Reality:
UNDULATER2
REQUIEM
LOST HORZN

From Distorted Reality 2:
BREAKIN UP
BS WALIMBO
DAYBREAK

My CD versions lacked some of the samples, since each release of DR and BG has seperate CD-ROM releases back in the 90s with extra samples. Don't remember which patches these were in tbh.

Also, is the 'Metamorphosis' library also included in O2?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Files are stored in dbs, can't search them readily. No collection named Metamorphosis.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
That makes it awkward then. I would've thought they'd be stored in WAV like the original CD samples.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I know it might sound like a shot in the dark, but does anyone have the Spectrasonic's Omnisphere 2? Considering it's about 400 quid, I don't expect anyone to have it unless you work in a studio or do professional work.

lol

do you know what amateurs making blips and bloops spend on eurorack

400 is nothing, shitloads of people have komplete ultimate legally

that said i don’t have it, should’ve gotten it instead of alchemy

also try their facebook page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I have Komplete Ultimate legally and it's loving great.

Still haven't bought Omnisphere though, because gently caress you I can get an upgrade to KU from K11 for that. KU is like a million different things and Omnisphere is basically Kontakt + Iris and that's not enough for that much money, gently caress you.

but i still want omnisphere but still gently caress you