Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

The problem with the polling is that it changes drastically come actual election time, once the GOP propaganda machine revs up and The Base Comes Home. What looks like a slam dunk 12 months out suddenly becomes a toss-up or a losing effort once ballots actually have to be cast.

Trump's numbers not moving are pretty bad, though; It's likely with enough of a GOTV push in purple states you could very easily take a victory from him, even as a leftist candidate.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like it's easy to throw that sort of thing out there, but a lot of the people who do that sort of thing rarely actually focus on giving anything material to minority communities.

Like, part of the reason I say this is that I understand the temptation. You can go into certain online spaces as a white person and talk about how terrible white people are and gain instant social acceptance. It's easy. Far easier than actually supporting the sorts of ideas and policy that might require you to make some material sacrifices for the sake of the minority groups in question.

For young liberals today, focusing on social justice in a way that generally neglects to bring up the topic of actual material redistribution (in the form of basically any dramatic expansion of government spending that would directly benefit minority communities) is very popular. Because it's easy. It demands almost nothing of the people in question. They can feel good about themselves while continuing to remain part of the materially privileged top ~20%. What a great deal! And while I don't think this is part of the motivation of the individuals in question, I don't think it's a coincidence that people are divorcing from the topic of social justice its material elements. The whole strategy characterized by the 2016 primary - painting social justice and economic justice as separate (if not directly at odds with one another) - allows people with otherwise good intentions to pursue their social justice goals in a way that doesn't actually threaten those with wealth and power.

Just to be clear, what I'm criticizing here isn't so much people saying these sorts of things, but more what they often don't say and do. I feel like we shouldn't give people praise and/or acceptance just because they're willing to condemn white people or whatever. They need to also express a greater commitment to reparations (in a broad sense referring to creating actual equal material outcomes in addition to fighting social bigotry).

Ylata you always make good posts in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

Like, part of the reason I say this is that I understand the temptation. You can go into certain online spaces as a white person and talk about how terrible white people are and gain instant social acceptance. It's easy. Far easier than actually supporting the sorts of ideas and policy that might require you to make some material sacrifices for the sake of the minority groups in question.

:shrug: Generally when I shout "loving white people" at the heavens it's right after I've hung up the phone in my office, not anywhere public or even online.

I get the joking aspect and I get the power differential aspect etc. But (without going into too much detail for fear of doxxing) my day job is literally working for a social justice nonprofit that works directly with minority communities. I don't expect a cookie for that -- I didn't so much choose this career as fall into the only available option I could find that wasn't morally horrible; I'm more lucky than anything else -- but when I see people respond to a Doug Jones' victory with "exterminate every single last white male" . . . it's . . . the best term would probably be "exasperating." I don't blame people for saying that stuff but, like, I really am trying here!

It's not a big deal but it's kinda a dick thing to say. On the other hand this site is not a hugbox and anyone who expects it to be won't survive here very long; if we policed all dick-ish speech we would run out of posters inside a week.

Point being, don't assume that just because this is an internet forum the people on the other end of the screen aren't actively out there working and making real sacrifices for social justice. Maybe there are a lot of "tumblerina" types out there just performing on social media and not doing, I don't know, but I do know there are a lot of people (and a lot of white people, even) out there actually doing concrete things to further social justice and it's a little irritating when that work gets dismissed or assumed away. I mean . .I know it's not enough and there is an immeasurable amount of work still to be done but . . . :sigh:

[While I'm on my soapbox, the term "social justice warrior" pisses me off for the same reasons, just coming from the other direction. Like, yes, that's what I do, that's a good thing, how the gently caress did that become a pejorative?!].

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

:shrug: Generally when I shout "loving white people" at the heavens it's right after I've hung up the phone in my office, not anywhere public or even online.

I get the joking aspect and I get the power differential aspect etc. But (without going into too much detail for fear of doxxing) my day job is literally working for a social justice nonprofit that works directly with minority communities. I don't expect a cookie for that -- I didn't so much choose this career as fall into the only available option I could find that wasn't morally horrible; I'm more lucky than anything else -- but when I see people respond to a Doug Jones' victory with "exterminate every single last white male" . . . it's . . . the best term would probably be "exasperating." I don't blame people for saying that stuff but, like, I really am trying here!

It's not a big deal but it's kinda a dick thing to say. On the other hand this site is not a hugbox and anyone who expects it to be won't survive here very long; if we policed all dick-ish speech we would run out of posters inside a week.

Point being, don't assume that just because this is an internet forum the people on the other end of the screen aren't actively out there working and making real sacrifices for social justice. Maybe there are a lot of "tumblerina" types out there just performing on social media and not doing, I don't know, but I do know there are a lot of people (and a lot of white people, even) out there actually doing concrete things to further social justice and it's a little irritating when that work gets dismissed or assumed away.

[While I'm on my soapbox, the term "social justice warrior" pisses me off for the same reasons, just coming from the other direction. Like, yes, that's what I do, that's a good thing, how the gently caress did that become a pejorative?!].

This is a really good post. Thanks for sharing.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Point being, don't assume that just because this is an internet forum the people on the other end of the screen aren't actively out there working and making real sacrifices for social justice. Maybe there are a lot of "tumblerina" types out there just performing on social media and not doing, I don't know, but I do know there are a lot of people (and a lot of white people, even) out there actually doing concrete things to further social justice and it's a little irritating when that work gets dismissed or assumed away. I mean . .I know it's not enough and there is an immeasurable amount of work still to be done but . . . :sigh:

Keep up the good work!

There are good things happening. For instance:

https://twitter.com/FlanaganNJTV/status/941365204725714946

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Just do what I do. Mentally substitute "SJW" to Social Justice Wizard and enjoy your new magical powers to make internet white men really angry by just saying words.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doug Jones' victory is fantastic but looking at the demos is legitimately distressing. A majority of white people (men and women) would prefer a child molesting creep over a Democrat. As a white male I find that troubling on a lot of different levels, not least of which being the anxiety I feel when I imagine that most of my family probably would have voted for Roy Moore had they lived in Alabama. I feel increasingly estranged from them the more and more poo poo like this that happens and I feel genuinely sick about it.

So while "exterminate every last white person" seems a tad extreme, I completely sympathize where that comes from.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Doug Jones' victory is fantastic but looking at the demos is legitimately distressing. A majority of white people (men and women) would prefer a child molesting creep over a Democrat. As a white male I find that troubling on a lot of different levels, not least of which being the anxiety I feel when I imagine that most of my family probably would have voted for Roy Moore had they lived in Alabama. I feel increasingly estranged from them the more and more poo poo like this that happens and I feel genuinely sick about it.

So while "exterminate every last white person" seems a tad extreme, I completely sympathize where that comes from.

Consider that the of the majority of white non-evangelicals didn't vote pedo as a saving grace. It was the evangelical whites that voted for Moore overwhelmingly.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If you can get into what Hieronymous Alloy does I by all means advocate for it. The reality of public service is that in part some of us give up our political speech in the name of being an uncompromised administrator of a system because it's the only way to maintain a non partisan system in many ways. But oddly enough in an age where functional government itself has become a partisan issue, you're in the right team if you're just doing your job right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Keep in mind that those numbers you see are becuase of how huge the evangelical christian community in Alabama is. The numbers on White voters if you remove evangelical christians are like 75/25 in favor of Jones. likewise if you remove white people over the age of 40 you get something like 65/35 in favor of Jones.

Race is definitely a factor, and there's a racial dimension to hardcore conservative Christianity, but boiling it down to just 'white people' is a little oversimplified.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Trabisnikof posted:

Consider that the of the majority of white non-evangelicals didn't vote pedo as a saving grace. It was the evangelical whites that voted for Moore overwhelmingly.

Some dipshit online was like "well that's the percentage that voted, there's tens of thousand or more that stayed home" and it's like great, your evangelical morality is either vote for the pedo OR ABSTAIN, you can't bring yourself to vote against him. Real moral high ground you've got here.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Uh, that was just a joke man. Like I don’t disagree, but yeah.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trabisnikof posted:

Endorph posted:

Keep in mind that those numbers you see are becuase of how huge the evangelical christian community in Alabama is. The numbers on White voters if you remove evangelical christians are like 75/25 in favor of Jones. likewise if you remove white people over the age of 40 you get something like 65/35 in favor of Jones.

Race is definitely a factor, and there's a racial dimension to hardcore conservative Christianity, but boiling it down to just 'white people' is a little oversimplified.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I still think there's very much a problem in this country in the vein of "what the gently caress is the matter with white men" that increasingly needs to be addressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrNutt posted:

Thanks for reminding me of this. I still think there's very much a problem in this country in the vein of "what the gently caress is the matter with white men" that increasingly needs to be addressed.
saying 'white *men*' is also kind of an issue in this context since a greater percentage of white women voted for Moore than white men.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Endorph posted:

Keep in mind that those numbers you see are becuase of how huge the evangelical christian community in Alabama is. The numbers on White voters if you remove evangelical christians are like 75/25 in favor of Jones.

Technical point but I've only seen those numbers for white non-evangelical women not all white non-evangelical.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Really you should be asking yourself "what's the matter with white boomers? (and older GenX people)" because they really are the absolutely epitome of garbage politics and beliefs.

The answer, in my anecdotal experience, is that they largely benefited from the welfare state and labor protections of the Greatest Generation while convincing themselves that they were self-made bootstrappers who outcompeted everyone in a Randian hellscape. You haven't lived until you've heard some Orange County firefighter chief who retired at 58 collecting a 140k a year pension rail against wasteful government from his second home (a condo in Hawaii)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 14, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Endorph posted:

saying 'white *men*' is also kind of an issue in this context since a greater percentage of white women voted for Moore than white men.

Kill whitey, then.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I mean, a lot of progressives did the same scummy poo poo when Franken was outed too. People are just poo poo, there's no reason to limit the defensive aspects of tribalism to just rural southern whites.

SOME people can and will excuse anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Endorph posted:

Uh, not according to the data I've seen. According to CNN 72% of white men voted for Roy Moore vs. approximately 63% of white women.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Really you should be asking yourself "what's the matter with white boomers? (and older GenX people)" because they really are the absolutely epitome of garbage politics and beliefs.

The answer, in my anecdotal experience, is that they largely benefited from the welfare state and labor protections of the Greatest Generation while convincing themselves that they were self-made bootstrappers who outcompeted everyone in a Randian hellscape. You haven't lived until you've heard some Orange County firefighter chief who retired at 58 collecting a 140k a year pension rail against wasteful government from his second home (a condo in Hawaii)

And yeah, this. I've been reading A Generation of Sociopaths lately and it's a fascinating, infuriating read.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

It cannot be said loud enough that Roy Moore's behavior was not controversial to evangelicals.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The answer, in my anecdotal experience, is that they largely benefited from the welfare state and labor protections of the Greatest Generation while convincing themselves that they were self-made bootstrappers who outcompeted everyone in a Randian hellscape.
Also they have brains full of lead.

Just filled with the stuff.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DrNutt posted:

There's a possibility that social isolation and a general feeling of not "belonging" is making people more ripe to get picked up by slavish conmen like bannon, et al; the insular nature of a lot of evangelical rhetoric and the 'do or die rapture style' also forces people to be more willing and open to compromising their own morals and ethics in order to further the ideals of the group, even at their own expense.

... that's probably too close to PJ's narrative stuff, I think. I don't know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Is this what delusion feels like?

No, and the fact that you think it's delusional says so much about you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grapplejack posted:

There's a possibility that social isolation and a general feeling of not "belonging" is making people more ripe to get picked up by slavish conmen like bannon, et al; the insular nature of a lot of evangelical rhetoric and the 'do or die rapture style' also forces people to be more willing and open to compromising their own morals and ethics in order to further the ideals of the group, even at their own expense.

... that's probably too close to PJ's narrative stuff, I think. I don't know.

As the saying goeth, "When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression."

That's not all of it though. We replaced a thriving industrial economy with a lovely service economy, and in a lot of areas the "equality" we're achieving is coming because everyone who isn't in the 1% is getting pushed down. There's barely any middle class left and everyone in it is a single accident or hospital bill away from bankruptcy. The opiod epidemic is as much symptom as cause -- addiction ruins lives when people believe they don't have any better options than addiction.

Of course minority folks have been living with that experience for a long time. To a lot of white men it's new.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chilichimp posted:

It cannot be said loud enough that Roy Moore's behavior was not controversial to evangelicals.

I might be way off base here but something to think about is that Roy Moore is super gross, etc. almost universally detestable. And yet, when I go to my gym, and see dudes that are probably Moore's age or close to it, and they are being creepy and weird w/r/t women in the gym, does it really make that much of a difference whether they are 15 or 18, 19, 20? At a certain level we tolerate a very high degree of creepy poo poo in our society because as a society we value women who look young, fit, etc. and choose to discard women who don't fit that mold.

I know this is a weird tangent but my thinking is that the difference between Moore and a lot of men is probably a lot more blurry than they'd like to admit when it comes to their ideas about women.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.publicpolicypolling.com/polls/voters-think-trump-resign-harassment-allegations/

Sorry for the super long quote post but there's so much fascinating poo poo in the latest PPPolls that I couldn't help myself. I bolded some of the most fun poo poo. The Republican Party is loving trapped with Trump, and I assume internal polling is showing similar. They're totally hosed.

quote:

Trump voters... Just 45% say they would disapprove of Trump sexually harassing women while 22% actually say they would approve of him doing so,

Okay then...

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

C. Everett Koop posted:

The goal has always been to bring slavery back. With a name change and a fancy PR campaign you'd have people willingly putting themselves in chains and being none the wiser.

The only way out is through bloodshed. I've told you who the targets need to be.

Slavery never left. When it was abolished with the thirteenth amendment they put that key part in there "abolished except as punishment for a crime." I wonder why black people have been disproportionately imprisoned and forced into labor ever since. Weird. I wonder why you and other posters who get so worked up about this supported candidates who used slaves and slave labor in their private lives in governor's mansions etc. Weird.

The only way out is through bloodshed, but vote for this nice white lady in the blue dress, she treats us nice. What the gently caress??

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's very simple, actually. Basically the far-right chucklefucks have bought so hard into their own bullshit that they seriously think they can just make up accusations of sexual assault out of whole cloth, and everybody on the other side will automatically believe them without question. So of course they've only managed to come up with the most amateur hour poo poo possible.

If I understand correctly, the theory is that maga chuds think the evidence against the Trump admin and a bunch of gop politicians is wholly fabricated, so they've played themselves and actually gone and done what they thought everyone was already doing?

That's so plausible that it's probably at least a component of what actually went down. I can't think of any other reason Mike Cernovitch would not verify his source: he doesn't know that's something journalists do.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

If I understand correctly, the theory is that maga chuds think the evidence against the Trump admin and a bunch of gop politicians is wholly fabricated, so they've played themselves and actually gone and done what they thought everyone was already doing?

That's so plausible that it's probably at least a component of what actually went down. I can't think of any other reason Mike Cernovitch would not verify his source: he doesn't know that's something journalists do.

Yeah, that's basically it, along with dumbass idea that there's some kind of jewish-feminist conspiracy behind it all that aims to deprive them of their rightful alpha dominance, or something along these lines, and since they also think that everybody to the left of Mussolini is brainwashed by the aforementioned conspiracy they only need to repeat the magic words and everybody else would automatically turn on the accused. Bing bong, so simple.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You’d think people, even CHUDs, might be wary of teaming up with someone who laid a stinker in a public space. Peril is sexy I guess.

This is it, Mikey. This your floorshit test.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

WampaLord posted:

No, and the fact that you think it's delusional says so much about you.

Hysterics is not the same as delusion, but they certainly blend. The post in question was a bit of both. I'm not surprised you approve.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DrNutt posted:

Doug Jones' victory is fantastic but looking at the demos is legitimately distressing. A majority of white people (men and women) would prefer a child molesting creep over a Democrat.

I mean honestly I can understand it. I have a senator coming up in 2018 and if it turned out she was a serial killer or whatever I would have to think long and hard about whether sending a message like that was worth the seat in congress. My preference in that case would probably be getting her seated then immediately expelled and replaced, rather than just electing her opponent.

Voting for Roy Moore would still have been a massive failing even if he weren't a pedophile though so

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Under the vegetable posted:

Slavery never left. When it was abolished with the thirteenth amendment they put that key part in there "abolished except as punishment for a crime." I wonder why black people have been disproportionately imprisoned and forced into labor ever since. Weird. I wonder why you and other posters who get so worked up about this supported candidates who used slaves and slave labor in their private lives in governor's mansions etc. Weird.

The only way out is through bloodshed, but vote for this nice white lady in the blue dress, she treats us nice. What the gently caress??

buddy if you think i voted for abuela you got another thing coming

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

buddy if you think i voted for abuela you got another thing coming

The gift that keeps on giving.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean honestly I can understand it. I have a senator coming up in 2018 and if it turned out she was a serial killer or whatever I would have to think long and hard about whether sending a message like that was worth the seat in congress. My preference in that case would probably be getting her seated then immediately expelled and replaced, rather than just electing her opponent.

Voting for Roy Moore would still have been a massive failing even if he weren't a pedophile though so

You could vote for the strongest write-in challenger, there would be one if we found out a Democratic senator were a serial killer a month before a general election, and hopefully the Democratic party would be supporting the write-in rather than cravenly funding a criminal like the RNC did.

Like you don't have to elect serial killers to government just to prove your loyalty to the Party.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

VitalSigns posted:

You could vote for the strongest write-in challenger, there would be one if we found out a Democratic senator were a serial killer a month before a general election, and hopefully the Democratic party would be supporting the write-in rather than cravenly funding a criminal like the RNC did.

Like you don't have to elect serial killers to government just to prove your loyalty to the Party.

Yeah I'd vote for literally any credible write-in in that scenario. That's a good point that nobody on the republican side even tried to run a write-in campaign to help voters out of that corner.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/941501789676998656

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'd vote for literally any credible write-in in that scenario. That's a good point that nobody on the republican side even tried to run a write-in campaign to help voters out of that corner.

Some people did independently but yeah the national party apparently considered it, concluded that a write-in would never beat Moore because of all the garbage Republicans in Alabama, and decided to become the Grand Old Pedo party instead just to keep a senate seat for three measly years (and didn't get it anyway :lol:).

I don't think the Democrats would do that, fortunately, so we wouldn't have that Sophie's choice.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Chilichimp posted:

I think evangelicals don't really get that children are human beings. Like, letting them be abused by paedophiles is only arguably the worst thing that community will do to children. It has to compete with stuff like the abusive education programs and gay camps.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Evangelicals can't conceive of anything outside the framework of property rights for white adult men.

Once you realize that all their insanity makes a certain kind of self-consistent (horrible) sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Futuresight posted:

I think evangelicals don't really get that children are human beings. Like, letting them be abused by paedophiles is only arguably the worst thing that community will do to children. It has to compete with stuff like the abusive education programs and gay camps.

The amount of anecdotes from ex-evangelicals that their parents basically acted as if they'd be raptured before they reached adulthood is disturbing.

• Locked thread