Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

double negative posted:

This show is real good, but holy poo poo that fight with Darius was not

Yeah, that was the strangest plotting of a fight I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
There was a fight?

At least all the kids are together. And aware of each others' abilities. Kind of.

I won't say this is the most aware I am of how far the MCU has strayed from THE PLOT of its source material, because I definitely read all of Alias more than once, but it's the most I've cared that they did so. And not in a bad way. I just want to know what the gently caress is going on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inkspot posted:

There was a fight?

At least all the kids are together. And aware of each others' abilities. Kind of.

I won't say this is the most aware I am of how far the MCU has strayed from THE PLOT of its source material, because I definitely read all of Alias more than once, but it's the most I've cared that they did so. And not in a bad way. I just want to know what the gently caress is going on.

The weird scene where the car stopped. The girl lifted the car. Guys get out to look at girl lifting car. Girl puts car down, all kids line up in a row. Bad guy begins to act menacingly. SUV drives up from like a mile away. Another kid jumps out, runs 40+ feet to standing bad guy and shoots him. Kids pose in a row AGAIN and the bad guy gets up again and then starts shooting.

The light girl did a thing in here somewhere too. It was all so poorly paced.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was incredibly badly blocked but was meant to impress how a teen getting superpowers would react with wonderment and awkwardness over,say an adult being more fearful/confident. Which it did.

But boy was it badly blocked

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It was incredibly badly blocked but was meant to impress how a teen getting superpowers would react with wonderment and awkwardness over,say an adult being more fearful/confident. Which it did.

But boy was it badly blocked

YES. Everybody got a moment to shine(lol) it was just... That.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Again, though, it was MEANT to come off as awkward and people sort of freaking out over how super cool suddenly having/using superpowers is, the failure was in how it was terribly blocked and the flow made no coherent sense. It should've started with all the runaways partially whiffing all their attempts and getting lost in the moment of how cool it was that they were having and using their powers so Darius got away, instead of...this weird cascading thing that was incoherent within the cinematic language of the scene

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah that scene was real bad. rest of the episode owned tho

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

I guess it’s what happens when a crew who do teen soap melodrama for a living are told to put together a superhero fight scene.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I spent most of that episode expecting the kids to actually run away, but they didn't. No biggie. Plot's moving forwards, that's cool, and I'm enjoying the parents (Nico's mom makes a particularly great villain) and most of the kids.

The actors who play Chase and Alex are still rubbish, though. Alex's performance couldn't be flatter if run over by a steam roller, and Chase is just... bizarre. The stuff with his father alternated between wacky cartoon fear acting and him looking turned on. Like, tone it down, maybe?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Open Source Idiom posted:

(Nico's mom makes a particularly great villain)

I don’t know if letting your daughter go to bed with the “magic” staff you use to help sacrifice people after a long period of distrust between the both of you counts as something even a passable villain would do...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I guess it’s what happens when a crew who do teen soap melodrama for a living are told to put together a superhero fight scene.

It's time to pose as a team, because poo poo JUST GOT REAL.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I also hated that scene. I was half expecting the dinosaur to show up because it sensed Gert was in danger. Actually that scene would have been improved if Old Lace had shown up and horribly mauled the poor gang leader.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It stan lee!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Christ, Molly is so arbitrarily stupid

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
haven't read the comics yet but that episode was real solid. this is definitely one of the best Marvel shows.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like Pride better than the kids. Especially Tina and the Yorkes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

haven't read the comics yet but that episode was real solid. this is definitely one of the best Marvel shows.
I thought so for the first two or three episodes, but it's really spinning its wheels now. When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?

Senerio posted:

I like Pride better than the kids. Especially Tina and the Yorkes.
The parents are much more interesting characters. They seem to have stuff going on in their lives, whereas the kids seem to have dropped everything to work full time on not progressing the plot. They don't even seem to react very much to the completely crazy things that happen. Like, they barely even bothered to investigate the dinosaur they found and just instantly accepted the explanation of "it's OK kids, we made it" without any kind of follow up. Also, this is set in the MCU, right? So the two kids with super powers should really have some context for that. Like, everyone knows super heroes exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing they can and/or are willing to put in the show happens after they run away.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing they can and/or are willing to put in the show happens after they run away.

Which, if true, makes this entire exercise very odd.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think it would have worked better in media res. I know it's getting to be a tired gimmick, but we're 6 bloody episodes in.

Have the kids already running from the get go. Tell the story of the sacrifice and their parent's trying to fix things in flashbacks. Hell, I feel Chase's story of him making the gloves and finally bonding with his dad would work far better when we've already seen how bitterly it ended.

It does mean we lose the "everyone finds their superpowers" bit, but that also means they could have skipped the "everyone posing by the car like idiots" scene.

Start with a bang and have the kids hiding and running for their lives. Leave the "our parents are serial killers for an alien sex god" as a reveal for a couple of episodes in for anyone watching who someone didn't know what the show was about.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t think they are going to run away. Probably not until the end of the season, at least. I think the eponymous runaways in this case are the kids being sacrificed to Dr. Doom.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
By the way they are pacing things, we will be at the end of season two before the kids actually run away. I think the slow pace is starting to hurt the show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phylodox posted:

I don’t think they are going to run away. Probably not until the end of the season, at least. I think the eponymous runaways in this case are the kids being sacrificed to Dr. Doom.
That's certainly the impression I got. For one thing, if they were going to have the kids run away in order to match the name then it should have happened by episode three at the latest. For another, they've spent far too much time on the parents to not keep them as major characters. I guess they could split the show between the kids and the parents, but from what we've seen so far it's clear that the kids are the protagonists, which means that the only way to keep this level of focus on parents is to keep the kids with them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

I floated this idea earlier. It does seem likely at this point.

Tiggum posted:

That's certainly the impression I got. For one thing, if they were going to have the kids run away in order to match the name then it should have happened by episode three at the latest. For another, they've spent far too much time on the parents to not keep them as major characters. I guess they could split the show between the kids and the parents, but from what we've seen so far it's clear that the kids are the protagonists, which means that the only way to keep this level of focus on parents is to keep the kids with them.

They could make a split work. A nonzero chance. We'll see what happens I guess.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Phylodox posted:

If this is the actual case, I suppose you can't blame them for not wanting to promote underage children running away from home; even on Hulu.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Part of the problem with the kids feeling flat so far is a lot of their characterizations and arcs come about because of the shift in dynamics that happens after they run. So they can't really start as characters beyond their introductory archetypes until that moment without rewriting the story even further beyond what they seem to be aiming for.

But the show is expanding the parents as characters well beyond the comics, and can only do that before the kids run. So we have an episode introducing the kids and their initial relationships, and then 5 episodes of them standing around while we go through like a season and a half worth of plot for the parents on fast forward.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Catching up on the last couple episodes. V pleased they're already laying the groundwork for 'Karo wants some o dat witch rear end'.

Enjoying the show a lot, still, changes and all.

lol tho at that brief powers scene when rescuing Alex

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Double postin', but just finishing catching up and lol at Karo bitterly no selling that bottle of vodka like it's water

Also oh poo poo is she gna fly, pls fly

e: hahaha yasss bitch fly

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Double postin', but just finishing catching up and lol at Karo bitterly no selling that bottle of vodka like it's water

Also oh poo poo is she gna fly, pls fly

e: hahaha yasss bitch fly

When is she going to friendzone Abercrombie ?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

When is she going to friendzone Abercrombie ?

Soon, one would hope.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I appreciate that the character who literally glows rainbow colors is gay. Her innate rainbow-ness is stifled by the symbol of her church. A very subtle show.

So, I haven’t read the comics. When they run away, does the tumblr girl take the dinosaur with her? Does she just have a dinosaur?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Yeah.

To be fair, Alex doesn't even have a dinosaur.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm always ridiculously happy to see a Stan Lee cameo :allears:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

fractalairduct posted:

Yeah.

To be fair, Alex doesn't even have a dinosaur.

Yes but he is a master strategist because he plays some lovely Avengers MMO.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yes but he is a master strategist because he plays some lovely Avengers MMO.

Yeah, but he doesn't pay to win. :colbert:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

You mean we're not getting the nazi scientist villain made entirely out of bees?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You mean we're not getting the nazi scientist villain made entirely out of bees?

Didn’t they already do that in Arrow?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

Didn’t they already do that in Arrow?

Flash wasn't it?

The girl from Walking Dead was a hacker with magic bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rocksicles posted:

Flash wasn't it?

The girl from Walking Dead was a hacker with magic bees.

No, it was in Arrow where she made the bees form a person for Oliver to punch.

• Locked thread