Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

panascope posted:

OR mount the heads upside down to greatly improve them.

What is this Warp-Witchery?

EFB like the rented mule of a red-headed step-goose :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

BuffaloChicken posted:

The next Squat conversion will be an HQ Dreadknight that I plan on calling the Narrative Forge.
:perfect:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Went ahead and finished my model for Lheorvine Ukris, another member of Abaddon's Ezekarion in Talon of Horus/Black Legion. Gonna work on Khayon next, but plan is to eventually cover the entire Ezekarion because they're all cool as gently caress. This project would admittedly be a lot easier if there were more Chosen-scale chaos models running around besides the static Chosen, Champion, Raptors, 1k Sons, and Plague Marines but so far I've been able to carve up chosen as needed.

Anyways, the model:

This looks fully sick, wheres the head from by the way, AoS?

The Bee posted:

Going full gatling with Aggressor, Redemptors, or Repulsors seems like it'd devour your average 20-man squad to me.
It absolutely does, numbers are weirdly not something primaris struggle against because of it. In yesterdays game my opponent was running 20 pox walkers daisy chained to cover 4 squads of cultists and a squad of plague marines which he then blew cloud of flies and curse of the walking pox on so I couldn't target them and couldn't shoot his cultists without giving him free models, but once we hit turn 3 and I was actually able to engage the pox walkers and start killing other stuff his infantry just evaporated.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

This looks fully sick, wheres the head from by the way, AoS?

Thanks! The head is made from an AoS Khorne Warrior's headdress attached to a FW Night Lords Skull helmet. It was the only helmet I could find in the range that matched the photo's aesthetic, and this was the closest I could get headdress-wise to the one in the art.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

adamantium|wang posted:

I did a thing.

Found my captain was getting much more use out of a thunder hammer over a relic blade lately so I made this guy to give me the option.
This is a fantastic paint job. The weathered look you do for your DG always turns out great.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Went ahead and finished my model for Lheorvine Ukris, another member of Abaddon's Ezekarion in Talon of Horus/Black Legion. Gonna work on Khayon next, but plan is to eventually cover the entire Ezekarion because they're all cool as gently caress. This project would admittedly be a lot easier if there were more Chosen-scale chaos models running around besides the static Chosen, Champion, Raptors, 1k Sons, and Plague Marines but so far I've been able to carve up chosen as needed.

Anyways, the model:

This is a good and cool project you've got going. The last guy, the Slaaneshi dude(?), was great too. I know what you mean about the lack of good bits though. The basic CSM range is in real need of an update, but they're on a cult legion kick right now so it's pretty unlikely we'll see resculpted CSM or even a chosen box any time soon. I mean, I'm all for new bersekers and noise marines, but the regular dudes need some love. Fortunately, there are tons of 30k parts now if you decide to go that route, but they wouldn't have the ornate look you're going for. Well, the generic ones at least. The legion-specific bits would probably be perfect, but then you're dealing with FW.

Nice use of the Night Lords helmet, by the way. I used the same one on a chaplain. It's a great bit.

BuffaloChicken posted:

The next Squat conversion will be an HQ Dreadknight that I plan on calling the Narrative Forge.

Order for parts is going in this week.
:popeye: Holy poo poo, that concept. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing when it's done.

Hahaha :goose:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Safety Factor posted:

This is a good and cool project you've got going. The last guy, the Slaaneshi dude(?), was great too. I know what you mean about the lack of good bits though. The basic CSM range is in real need of an update, but they're on a cult legion kick right now so it's pretty unlikely we'll see resculpted CSM or even a chosen box any time soon. I mean, I'm all for new bersekers and noise marines, but the regular dudes need some love. Fortunately, there are tons of 30k parts now if you decide to go that route, but they wouldn't have the ornate look you're going for. Well, the generic ones at least. The legion-specific bits would probably be perfect, but then you're dealing with FW.

Nice use of the Night Lords helmet, by the way. I used the same one on a chaplain. It's a great bit.

Thanks! The 30k model stuff is OK but it doesn't match the size/scale of the chosen/new chaos stuff that I'm going for--Lheorvine's torso was a standard Marine torso that I spaced out a bit with some extra greenstuff to fit properly over the Chosen legs. I agree that we definitely need standard chosen just as bad as new berserkers/noise marines.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Looks like the GW site is no longer hosting the Lone Operative rules and scenarios for Shadow War, including Marbo's rules.

Does anybody have access to those PDFs? Was really looking forward to using them.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BuffaloChicken posted:

Looks like the GW site is no longer hosting the Lone Operative rules and scenarios for Shadow War, including Marbo's rules.

Does anybody have access to those PDFs? Was really looking forward to using them.

They're still hosting them
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/shadow-war-armageddon-pre-order-and-downloadsgw-homepage-post-4/

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Bizarre - I couldn't find them through google, the errata page, or the Community search. I found what looked like an archived version of the original page, and the links there were inactive.

Thanks a ton!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Is there anyway of running Commander Farsight right now where he isn't garabage? I'm painting up my Tau Battleforces as Farsight Enclave, and think it would be fun to run him, but 3 points more gets me a commander with 3 cyclic ion blasters, ats and two shield drones. I'm tempted to stick him in with my flamer crisis suits since they're super close range anyway and let him just charge things that survive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to pick up used minis, what's a fair price to ask, percentage of MSRP-wise? I'm looking to get some unpainted, unprimed (but preferably assembled because I'm terrible at it) Tyranid stuff on the cheap, maybe even trade for Magic cards. My LGS only has things that are useless and/or under fifty coats of globbed-on paint.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BJPaskoff posted:

If I wanted to pick up used minis, what's a fair price to ask, percentage of MSRP-wise? I'm looking to get some unpainted, unprimed (but preferably assembled because I'm terrible at it) Tyranid stuff on the cheap, maybe even trade for Magic cards. My LGS only has things that are useless and/or under fifty coats of globbed-on paint.

Look at eBay as a starting point. I'd be comfortable with buying something coated in paint if it's metal underneath, since then I can use some really hardcore chemicals (acetone, brake fluid, etc) to just shred the stuff and get to bare metal pretty quickly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Also be prepared for insane price surprises because the seller is possibly also looking at eBay and will expect the highest an item has ever sold for.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Are the cultists in the Assassinorum: Execution Force boxed game the Dark Vengeance cultists or are they just the generic ones GW sells 5-to-a-box?

Or are they all the same? I thought the DV ones had some (possibly comical) names?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So I was just watching a battle report on YouTube. A little video on the side caught my eye, title was that someone was banned ‘warhammer community take note!’. I knew it would be some terrible thing, so of course I wanted to rubberneck.

Jesus, some people are sad. A static picture of some sort of deviant art-ish cartoon was voiced over by some wanker talking about how the ‘SJWs’ (yes, he pronounced it as an acronym) controlled magic the gathering and some other wanker had in some way been banned from that game. I didn’t stick around to find out how, why, what or who. The dude’s voice was just so grating. A sort of reedy, supercilious tone elaborately explaining why this was really serious business. I wanted to punch my tablet.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Can somebody sanity check me here- My non-binary math is getting weaker these days.

I'm trying to work out the damage output for a captain with a normal thunder hammer with artisan of war (+1 damage) vs a captain with the relic thunder hammer that doesn't have the penalty to hit.

My math says that the captain with the relic hammer
4 attacks
Hits: 3.89 times
Wounds 3.24 times, assuming the target is below T8
Expected damage: 9.725

A standard thunder hammer that happens to deal +1 damage. This is what I'm really not certain about but my math says a single attack hitting on 3's, rerolling 1s hits about 7/9 times
4 attacks
Hit: 3.1111
Wounds: 2.592
Expected damage: 10.37

Does this seem accurate?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Genghis Cohen posted:

So I was just watching a battle report on YouTube. A little video on the side caught my eye, title was that someone was banned ‘warhammer community take note!’. I knew it would be some terrible thing, so of course I wanted to rubberneck.

Jesus, some people are sad. A static picture of some sort of deviant art-ish cartoon was voiced over by some wanker talking about how the ‘SJWs’ (yes, he pronounced it as an acronym) controlled magic the gathering and some other wanker had in some way been banned from that game. I didn’t stick around to find out how, why, what or who. The dude’s voice was just so grating. A sort of reedy, supercilious tone elaborately explaining why this was really serious business. I wanted to punch my tablet.

One thing that I fear is that as GW comes round to the idea of embracing female players and their money (not in that order or in an Uncle Jimmy Now Then! Now Then! way) more of these people will crawl out from under rocks in the hobby. As more and more of the GW staff are female including on the creative, particularly art and layout side, it opens up the possibility of a little cancer in the community, the sort you see on Dakka or Bols, pulling some horrible harassment poo poo.

It can make you ambivalent towards the community as a whole. How much poo poo is there below the surface? But that also plays into the toxic and unpleasant part of the communities desire to drive away normal people, particularly women/couples/socially functional individuals.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blood Angels theory question: If i'm running a jump pack captain, but I don't plan on taking the relic hammer (for whatever reason), is there any reason to go with a melee weapon other than the relic blade?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Thundercloud posted:

One thing that I fear is that as GW comes round to the idea of embracing female players and their money (not in that order or in an Uncle Jimmy Now Then! Now Then! way) more of these people will crawl out from under rocks in the hobby. As more and more of the GW staff are female including on the creative, particularly art and layout side, it opens up the possibility of a little cancer in the community, the sort you see on Dakka or Bols, pulling some horrible harassment poo poo.

It can make you ambivalent towards the community as a whole. How much poo poo is there below the surface? But that also plays into the toxic and unpleasant part of the communities desire to drive away normal people, particularly women/couples/socially functional individuals.

They've had a taster of this with the Matt Ward stuff. Hopefully that combined with the community team they employ now means that they will be able to shield their employees from the abuse, and minimise the impact of those shitters.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

One thing that I fear is that as GW comes round to the idea of embracing female players and their money (not in that order or in an Uncle Jimmy Now Then! Now Then! way) more of these people will crawl out from under rocks in the hobby.

Waaaaaaaay late on that one, the awful fuckers are everywhere online.

The sooner they decide that warhammer is a lost to them, stolen by those fiendish ess jay double yous:jerkbag: the better.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zeal posted:

Blood Angels theory question: If i'm running a jump pack captain, but I don't plan on taking the relic hammer (for whatever reason), is there any reason to go with a melee weapon other than the relic blade?

Well, the standard thunder hammer with Artisan of War has better single-target damage output than even the Hammer of Baal, assuming my math above holds out. Aside from that I personally have a really hard time justifying taking a relic blade over even a non artisan thunder hammer- while it's a bit weaker against chaff a thunder hammer is going to be infinitely more reliable against tougher targets-

A relic blade will do 3.89 damage to a rhino before the save while a standard, non artisan thunder hammer will do 7.776. Being able to reliably put the hurt on tougher targets more than makes up for the slight loss of utility against weaker stuff.

It's also worth pointing out that variable damage weapons are pretty lame when you have another option that will always deal the max value.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Genghis Cohen posted:

Youtube keeps on recommending me Arch Warhammer videos despite me telling it to stop doing that poo poo. Beyond him just being eyerollingly unfunny and even more desperately Wrong About Hams than Goose is, he's very buddy buddy with actual Nazi Sargon of Akkad and that Unsleeved Media creep who just got lifetime banned by Wizards.

If there's one consolation, I have it on direct authority that the Warham Community team think he's a loving idiot as well.

Also speaking of lovely Hams, check out this sparkling gem from our hobby from a page Facebook inexplicably thought I'd like:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ironically, this puts the guy with the username "Anti-Feminist 40k" ahead of GW proper since he's in favor of more female guardsmen.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
If you zoom in there's a tiny asterix that states "but only if they're baring midriff and tiddy armour".

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

SteelMentor posted:

If you zoom in there's a tiny asterix that states "but only if they're baring midriff and tiddy armour".

Strength 2, obviously, anything else would be unrealistic

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
We talk a little about this stuff in the new Badcast which we JUST RECORDED

Also the sexiest man alive in 017.M41 results

Also :wom:'s tolerance for Long Island Iced Teas

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Thundercloud posted:

This is 100% already happening and just about every 40k community bar this one and the Feminist 40k group on FB (itself not without faults) are filled with them. Our best hope is they all burn themselves out and get banned because GW is definitely going the way of WotC with regards to inclusion and at the very least not harboring toxic bigots.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
That "feminist 40k" (not the anti one) fb page made so many incels ree so hard

Edit: but yeah hopefully they follow through with their I QUIT reeing like they did when Marvel made a character African American

I thought this was a cool and good post

https://geekandsundry.com/how-and-why-miniature-wargame-companies-are-choosing-to-embrace-diversity/

muggins fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
A depressing subject. My only comfort (if it is one) is that sad creeps always crop up, especially online, so I can tell myself it isn't because they play warhammer, as if it were some rancid disease I'm in danger of catching every time I throw down some models.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Beerdeer posted:

I wish I could "like" this post. :goose:

As I rehab my small marines I find myself playing a lot with primaris dudes against poxwalker/Typhus DG and Necrons. I just can't put out enough fire to whittle down a 20-man squad, especially at T5. Tips>

Did someone seriously buy a :goose: emote

lmao

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, there are some unironic alt right/Ukip/trumpers around, though I haven't seen the one with a sisters army around in a while.

He doesn't thin his paints either.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

goose willis posted:

Did someone seriously buy a :goose: emote

lmao

The question is really why it took so long.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It never ceases to amaze me (especially with the outsider perspective) that one of the best places to read 40k and not encounter alt-reich horrible fuckwittery is Something Awful Dot Com.

I just tried to imagine convincing various progressive friends of this, and I can’t even compute that conversation working.

(Subtext: this is a good thing, gently caress those people so very much.)

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

We talk a little about this stuff in the new Badcast which we JUST RECORDED

Also the sexiest man alive in 017.M41 results

Also :wom:'s tolerance for Long Island Iced Teas

Sweet, I look forward to more badcast goodness pushing me through to finish brother redemptor dreadnought #REF<SARCOPHNAME>.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would rather not see GW retcon Space Marines to include women. Maybe that puts me on the wrong side of things, but I feel like there are plenty of ways to incorporate women in the hobby without resorting to changing the fluff. For example adding female models to other ranges like Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Psykers would be great (especially if they were part of the core Guard sprue). Eliminating some of the more sexualized elements like bullet catcher boob plates and high heel power armor boots would also be viable, although given how stylized and extreme the rest of 40K is I can understand keeping it. And finally revitalizing the Sisters of Battle so that the line is much more accessible would be great.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would rather not see GW retcon Space Marines to include women. Maybe that puts me on the wrong side of things, but I feel like there are plenty of ways to incorporate women in the hobby without resorting to changing the fluff. For example adding female models to other ranges like Astra Militarum, Adeptus Mechanicus, and Psykers would be great (especially if they were part of the core Guard sprue). Eliminating some of the more sexualized elements like bullet catcher boob plates and high heel power armor boots would also be viable, although given how stylized and extreme the rest of 40K is I can understand keeping it. And finally revitalizing the Sisters of Battle so that the line is much more accessible would be great.

I still vote for lady custodes in the hope that the technicality of ladies stronger than marines causes a bunch of people to literally explode with anger.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I still vote for lady custodes in the hope that the technicality of ladies stronger than marines causes a bunch of people to literally explode with anger.

There have also been some really great female headswaps for Custodes. Somebody in here posted one that had silver armor and it looked incredible.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
One company makes really good female heads that are in scale with Sigmarines... Would look good on space Marines I imagine

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I don't see that you have to retcon them, per say. If Caul can give us new Primaris marines, why can't he also give us new female Space Marines? If your problem is that you don't have enough Marines, wouldn't it make sense to make available the other 50% of the human race as candidates?

I mean heck, back in the old Rogue Trader book there was that female Space Marine blasting a regular dude Marine. The retcon was to make her no longer a "Marine" and into the modern geneseed-less Adeptus Sororitas.

I just don't see the problem with it. :shrug:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Genghis Cohen posted:

The dude who got banned ran a Facebook Magic the Gathering hate speech page, which where they would run drafts of which female MTG players they'd want to gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The dude who got banned ran a Facebook Magic the Gathering hate speech page, which where they would run drafts of which female MTG players they'd want to gently caress.
Ugh. Charming.