Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fat people are funny.

You say that, but you've never once made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

This might be a fever dream but didn't Goofy kill himself with a gas chamber in one Halloween special? I think that is from one of the old episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

The late 80s had a couple of sequels to 60s shows: Mission: Impossible had a one season revival as did The Munsters.

However, the real successes were in the subsequent decade, when big movie versions of 60s TV shows enjoyed a brief vogue: you had The Fugitive, The Addams Family and The Addams Family Values, Beverly Hillbillies, The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel, Mission: Impossible, The Saint, The Avengers, Wild Wild West, Charlie's Angels and probably more that I've forgotten about.

I discovered on Netflix the failed pilot movie to a new Saint tv series that was made a couple of years ago

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

I discovered on Netflix the failed pilot movie to a new Saint tv series that was made a couple of years ago

Yeah, I heard about that one but never watched it. I've actually never seen the movie with Val Kilmer either.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Der Kyhe posted:

This might be a fever dream but didn't Goofy kill himself with a gas chamber in one Halloween special? I think that is from one of the old episodes.

Family Guy, he was in a pound and put down

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gawrsh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SiKboy posted:

We both know I've made you laugh tons of times.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SiKboy posted:

His mom is hilarious though.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't recall any jokes about Disney in the good Simpsons seasons

(RIP Üter)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's not like the Simpsons didn't dunk on Fox pretty regularly from the very beginning. It's also not like it could get any worse at this point.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm honestly hoping that Disney will just do the honorable thing and let it die, but I really doubt that since it's probably still a cash cow.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Speaking of Roseanne, Disney bought ABC in 1996 and immediately made basically every sitcom on the network do big dumb epic 2-part "The whole family goes to Disney World!" episodes, Roseanne included.

The next episode they did was this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-03-14/business/9603131011_1_roseanne-hans-theme-park posted:

David Healy, Darlene's boyfriend, gets a job at a Lanford-area theme park called Edelweiss Gardens, where the park's founder is kept cryogenically frozen under the park.

In the class where David is being trained to be park mascot Hans the Hare, the other clean-cut employees are dressed in Nazi Youth-like uniforms.

Instructor: ''Now that you have read your Hans the Hare manual, tell me what Hans the Hare is doing wrong.''

''Hans does not wave constantly, but intermittently! Hans only spins clockwise! Hans doesn't sit! A sitting bunny is an invitation to mayhem!''

Later, Roseanne, concerned that the new scrubbed, smiling and polite David is being transformed into a a ''button-down, corporate rabbit robot,'' rushes to the class to rescue him.

quote:

The final scene has David back home, tied up as Roseanne tries to de-program him:

Roseanne: ''Let's go over this one more time . . . We do not whistle while we work, we grumble and complain and encourage others to do likewise!''

David: ''No, No, No!''

She slaps him and yells, ''You hate me, admit it!''

David: ''No, you're a paying customer, I respect and admire you.''

Roseanne: ''Rabbits, geese and ducks are not people! They don't sing and dance! They're FOOD!''

David screams, then sobs.

Roseanne strokes his head and says:

''Welcome home, son.''

In another episode right after that, they made it a plot point that the unmarried David and Darlene got pregnant from having sex while at Disney World.

Roseanne was a good show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my personal favourite moment was Dan confronting Leon after finding out that he really was planning on ousting Roseanne from her own restaurant.

"From now on, you fight your own battles! Against Roseanne... may God have mercy on your soul..."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my personal favourite moment was Dan confronting Leon after finding out that he really was planning on ousting Roseanne from her own restaurant.

"From now on, you fight your own battles! Against Roseanne... may God have mercy on your soul..."

There were all kinds of power struggles going on between Roseanne and the show's producer. To the point where they didn't want to name the show Roseanne because it gave her too much power and even tried to kick her off the series in the first season thinking they could make the show about John Goodman.

They ended up getting rid of the producer before the first season was over, but he got millions in backend profits, so I wouldn't be surprised if Roseanne was still bitter in later seasons.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

thinking they could make the show about John Goodman.

And look how well that went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-U0wDCxFU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
John Goodman was also the title character in the animated series, "Father of the Pride," a show about the home life of Siegfried and Roy's lions which for some reason Jeffrey Katzenberg thought people wanted to watch. Especially after Roy's near-fatal mauling in 2003.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Mister Mind posted:

John Goodman was also the title character in the animated series, "Father of the Pride," a show about the home life of Siegfried and Roy's lions which for some reason Jeffrey Katzenberg thought people wanted to watch. Especially after Roy's near-fatal mauling in 2003.

I didn't even know that show was supposed to be about those lions. It was just a dull sitcom about lions living in a standard house from what I recall. Bolt did similar subject matter in a more interesting way. (Clarification: Not making GBS threads on Bolt, I love that movie.)

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

SpacePig posted:

I'm honestly hoping that Disney will just do the honorable thing and let it die, but I really doubt that since it's probably still a cash cow.

lol The Simpsons were probably like $2.5bil worth of the stock Disney paid to acquire 21CF so i am willing to wager it gets an overhaul rather than a cancellation.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Dec 15, 2017

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Tumble posted:

lol The Simpsons were probably like $2.5bil worth of the stock Disney paid to acquire 21CF so i am willing to wager it gets an overhaul rather than a cancellation.

Honestly gutting it and reworking it can't do any more damage than letting it stagnate... right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if a rework bombs maybe they'll put the show out of its misery and just use the ip for movies

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Last Chance posted:

Honestly gutting it and reworking it can't do any more damage than letting it stagnate... right?

The Simpsons will be where computers start replacing voice actors.

Then animators.

Then screenwriters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Soooo, since Disney is openly supportive of the LGBT community, do you think this will have an effect on FoxNews at all? Or is that separate?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Soooo, since Disney is openly supportive of the LGBT community, do you think this will have an effect on FoxNews at all? Or is that separate?

Well Fox News has Shepard Smith and he's probably gay.

But no, it has no bearing because Fox News isn't included in the sale.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Thranguy posted:

Then animators.

Then screenwriters.

harry shearer would probably be thrilled to be replaced by the mr burns screensaver

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Separate.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Thranguy posted:

Then animators.

Then screenwriters.
I'm sold

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Shep Smith came out a couple months ago

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Mind posted:

I've never seen this show (I remember it being advertised on Sky One when Eddie Murphy guest starred as Donkey from Shrek) but its entry on the Wikipedia article "List of television shows considered the worst" has always fascinated me, particularly the comments from Katzenberg in bold:

quote:

An American animated television series that revolved around a family of white lions, the patriarch of which stars in a Siegfried & Roy show in Las Vegas. The series was promoted heavily during NBC's coverage of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece and garnered above average ratings for the network, but the show received a negative response from TV critics, who considered it to be little more than a gimmick and a shill for other NBC and DreamWorks properties (two early episodes extensively featured The Today Show's Matt Lauer and another featured Donkey – voiced by Eddie Murphy – from the DreamWorks movies Shrek and Shrek 2). Also, many TV critics noticed that the show's humor was very similar to South Park (one episode even had a character say "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"). Siegfried & Roy's reaction was more positive: "They laughed. A lot. They kept asking us to create more contradiction. Literally, one's blond and one's dark, and every aspect of their life is as black and white as that. They are always playful with one another, always playing tricks on one another. They encouraged us to have fun with that," said Katzenberg.[14] The show's ratings began to decline, and by November 2004 it was pulled from NBC's sweeps line-up.[15] In early December 2004, the CEO of DreamWorks announced that the show was canceled, a few months after it was initially aired.

After all, nothing funnier than contradiction, is there?

Solice Kirsk posted:

They haven't bought the entire company, just the lion's share of its entertainment-oriented assets. News and sports are remaining with 20th Century Fox and will probably be consolidated into a new entity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Goodman also had a show called Normal, Ohio where he played a construction who'd come out of the closet to his fmamily and was trying to adjust after it destroyed his marriage. I don't remember much about it other than John's character making a LOT of gay sex jokes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first things I saw John Goodman in were the movie version of The Borrowers and, for some reason, Coyote Ugly. He'll always be Ocious P. Potter to me. :D

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

John Goodman is amazing and his best role is as Pops Racer in Speed Racer. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unironically King Ralph.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Was King Ralph the one where he goes up against a swarm of incredibly dangerous spiders like it weren't no thing at all?

oh so it's not his best role then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmcemEkAKc

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Always a good time to see John Goodman in a Coen Brothers movie

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best John Goodman scene ever. Big Dan T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDd_ryixqyA

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Raising Arizona was the high point for many acting careers, including John Goodman.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tumble posted:

Was King Ralph the one where he goes up against a swarm of incredibly dangerous spiders like it weren't no thing at all?

oh so it's not his best role then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fmcemEkAKc

Not a big enough role, but one of my favorite movies that I forgot about until just now! But King Ralph gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMbSDvGwA_Q&t=9s

A joke that will withstand the sands of time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

Raising Arizona was the high point for many acting careers, including John Goodman.

Contender for best movie scene ever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I didn't even have to click to know what it was.

But I clicked anyway.

This is how John Goodman actually came to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There was a stretch where I watched Raising Arizona every day for at least 18 days straight.