Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

ozymandius1024 posted:

Bradley/Provodnikov
Castillo/Corrales
Gatti/Ward
Matthysse/Molina
Vargas/Miura

Basically any recent Fight of the Year. These are all excellent brawls between guys with tons of heart.

If you want something that's heavy on technique (like, a LOT of technique, the most technique), Lomachenko/Rigondeaux is next weekend on ESPN.

I'm slowly going through the list, just watched Castillo/Corrales. Don't really get why the ref called it off - why not stop the fight, ask if he's ok, then continue? Is that not possible because he's technically not lying on the floor (but in the ropes)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

What an incredible sport we've been blessed with

It was a fitting end to the legend of Ali Raymi. Either an avant-garde troll or a Zelenoff esque fantasist. If there wasn't footage of him I wouldn't believe he ever existed.

Lionel Richie fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 15, 2017

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Mikey Garcia is going for Sergey Lipnets' 140 belt in February so he's probably there to stay which puts a possible Lomachenko fight on hold it seems.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2017/12/14/16778132/mikey-garcia-to-face-sergey-lipinets-on-february-10

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I’m sure he can drop back down for a money fight if he really wanted.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Is Lomachenko a money fight for Garcia? Probably more like it's up to Lomachenko to move up if he wants it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mike12345 posted:

I'm slowly going through the list, just watched Castillo/Corrales. Don't really get why the ref called it off - why not stop the fight, ask if he's ok, then continue? Is that not possible because he's technically not lying on the floor (but in the ropes)?

The ref can’t do that. He can either stop the fight or let the guy continue taking a beating, but he can’t pause the fight to see if the guy is okay to keep taking a beating.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ref can’t do that. He can either stop the fight or let the guy continue taking a beating, but he can’t pause the fight to see if the guy is okay to keep taking a beating.

I think the doctor can ask for a look in the middle of a round, or do they have to wait for the gap between rounds?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

hexwren posted:

I think the doctor can ask for a look in the middle of a round, or do they have to wait for the gap between rounds?

The doctor can ask the ref to pause the fight to look at a cut to see if it’s bad enough that the fighter can’t see or risks permanent damage, which would be cause to stop the fight. And the doctor can call for the fight to be stopped between rounds if a fighter appears to be out of it. But neither the doctor or ref can pause the fight to give a fighter a chance to recover from the rear end-whipping he was receiving. If the ref has to save you from getting beat up then you lose the fight. If you want a break you take a knee and have a knockdown counted against you.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I thought the referee is technically the only one who can stop the fight (although it would take a very brave ref to let a fight carry on when the doctor has told him to stop it)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lionel Richie posted:

I thought the referee is technically the only one who can stop the fight (although it would take a very brave ref to let a fight carry on when the doctor has told him to stop it)

That’s generally true, but I don’t know of any instance where a ref has overruled the ring doctor, so for practical purposes the doctor can stop the fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Not necessarily the doctor but Arthur Mercante Jr. refused to stop Cotto-Yuri Foreman even after Foreman's trainer threw in the towel when he blew his knee out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyJcyPUsxis

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Arthur Mercante Jr is also a scumbag who is perfectly ok watching fighters get crippled for life under his watch

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

That’s generally true, but I don’t know of any instance where a ref has overruled the ring doctor, so for practical purposes the doctor can stop the fight.

I want to say a ringside doctor has the right to stop a fight at any time including during a round if he deems fit no matter what the ref says, but I can't remember any specific instances of this happening.

I do remember a few articles about ringside doctors who have regretted not doing so or attempting to do so in fights where someone has died.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If the ref has to save you from getting beat up then you lose the fight. If you want a break you take a knee and have a knockdown counted against you.

mike12345 posted:

Don't really get why the ref called it off - why not stop the fight, ask if he's ok, then continue?

Are you thinking of the old standing 8 count rules? That would be effectively what happened -- the ref could separate the fighters before a knockdown and count the hurt fighter to see if he could continue. That's still different from just asking if he's ok to continue, though it does happen at the end of the count.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

kimbo305 posted:

Are you thinking of the old standing 8 count rules? That would be effectively what happened -- the ref could separate the fighters before a knockdown and count the hurt fighter to see if he could continue. That's still different from just asking if he's ok to continue, though it does happen at the end of the count.

don't know that rule, but that's more or less what I thought would happen. btw here's the fight in question, timestamp starts 20 seconds before the k.o.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2RDpfGJGs&t=3460s

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Good stoppage. He was looking loopy even before he got back on the ropes and when he hit the ropes and the punches started coming his arms were down. Any sooner and I would have said too soon, any later and I would have said to late.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

yea that's pretty much a picture perfect stoppage IMO

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mike12345 posted:

don't know that rule, but that's more or less what I thought would happen.

To be clear, "what effectively happened" should have read "what fighters got with the standing eight count rule."
The standing 8 is no longer used in pro boxing because, as bad as the sport is for brains, there is glacial progress toward making it safer. Interrupting a marginally effective fighter (who can just stand) and letting them recover enough to take more punishment that they won't be able to get out of is pointless.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God
Yeah, JLC was getting loving wrecked at the end of that fight and it was probably only going to get worse. You can't let a guy just take unanswered shots like that with his hands down.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy hell, they let Mercante Jr talk like that and keep his job? (yeah yeah boxing). I'll remember this the next time I think Robert Bryd stopped a fight too early.

"Suck it up champ!" *man without a knee cap makes a limping shuffle step like a horse trying to avoid the glue wagon.

*man who can't use foot work eats a combination.* "Good job son!"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Holy hell, they let Mercante Jr talk like that and keep his job? (yeah yeah boxing). I'll remember this the next time I think Robert Bryd stopped a fight too early.

"Suck it up champ!" *man without a knee cap makes a limping shuffle step like a horse trying to avoid the glue wagon.

man who can't use foot work eats a combination.* "Good job son!"

Other notable Mercante Jr incidents:
- letting James Degale get his teeth knocked out after he spit his mouth guard instead of deducting a point
- letting a dude get pummelled to death , blaming the paramedics who removed him from the ring when asked about it later
- other stuff I’m sure

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lemieux vs Saunders tomorrow, I'm going to be there, my first ever live boxing match (of any significance, I did one time watch a rinky dink little production in my home town once where some local boys beat up some guys who could not box)

I'm excited, I hope Saunders does not make it boring,

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
That match up is basically everything I admire in a boxer versus everything I hate

so obviously Billy Joe will win

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

lemieux looked dead at the weigh in

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lemieux vs Saunders tomorrow, I'm going to be there, my first ever live boxing match (of any significance, I did one time watch a rinky dink little production in my home town once where some local boys beat up some guys who could not box)

I'm excited, I hope Saunders does not make it boring,

Hope you enjoy it more than I did when I watched Lara stink up the joint against Delvin Rodriguez and I was internally screaming "what did you expect?" at the crowd who was booing

At least I got take a pic with Andy Fonfara :unsmith:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

thehappyprince posted:

lemieux looked dead at the weigh in

Saunders gonna look dead at the final bell

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gonna miss the fight tonight, how long does it take for replays to show up on youtube usually?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

lol at Seldin

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

I'm literally in love with that crotch chop he did at the end of the round.

EDIT: But other than that he's looking like dog poo poo

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Seldin is completely outclassed in boxing skill

I guess he still has a puncher's chance

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this guy sucks and so does his corner

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
fire those judges for giving Seldin a round imo

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Hey, it's Von Kaiser!

E: this is pretty entertaining fight

Duke Pukem fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 17, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if sullivan starts coming on strong in the middle this could be fantastic

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

i thought he won that last round (4)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Care Bear Stairs posted:

i thought he won that last round (4)

agreed

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

:stare:

holy crap he just got destroyed there

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

gwan spike

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

eye of the tiger management lol. how cringey

saunders isn't from sheffield lol. who wrote buffer's script

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Care Bear Stairs posted:

:stare:

holy crap he just got destroyed there

what happened? i missed it.