Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Holy poo poo

That Luciola scene after the fight hurt to watch. drat

E: Renne :unsmith:

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

The Colonel posted:

aksys is a different company and i don't think they've released any of their stuff drm-free

Ahhhh that makes sense. How is the localization? XSEED has us spoiled now.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pegnose Pete posted:

Ahhhh that makes sense. How is the localization? XSEED has us spoiled now.

I heard the Vita version was real bad but so far outside of a stray typo here and there the PS4 version is a lot better. It's pretty obvious they rushed out the vita version because they knew it wasnt gonna be their main seller.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tempted to pursue Tokyo Xanadu. I'll hold off for a little while, but it's definitely on my radar.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
This loving game man. Took me 5 tries to nail the Loewe fight, he could just ruin a perfectly good run in no time flat, till I figured out only he isn't immune to Clock Down.

You manage to get me to tear up over loving Loewe game, god drat it.

E: .....I should let cutscenes play out before posting

Joshua, no! You have all my good poo poo!

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 14, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Those rare moments when the series gets super dark but remains sincere

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BrightWing posted:

This loving game man. Took me 5 tries to nail the Loewe fight, he could just ruin a perfectly good run in no time flat, till I figured out only he isn't immune to Clock Down.

:allears: And you're not done yet!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Some Numbers posted:

:allears: And you're not done yet!

Time to finish the job Estelle

:getin:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

BrightWing posted:

Can't wait for you to hit the ending man. I cried.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I beat it. The final final battle was kinda easy? But I think I got lucky and he kept using moves I could Impede real easy. Aaahhhh, that was a great pair of games. I have lots of thoughts but right now the main one is just: Bravo, well told from beginning to end.

Ok one quick one: Kevin is savage after dropping the facade. Figured there was more to him mostly because The Third exists, but drat, stone cold.

Fake edit, a few more immediate thoughts: I knew that Estelle and Joshua falling was a fake out because of youtube vids of Zero, so it didn't hit me as hard as it would have. But everything involving those two...basically all game is great. I wonder whats up with Weissman's staff that Campanella ran off with it? Whats up with all the Pronouns outta nowhere when Loewe broke the barrier? Speaking of: Weissman is a great villian too! Talk about hating a charcters guts.

Man, that whole thing was satisfying.

E: Actually nah, need sleep, will post one more time with more thoughts if y'all don't mind. New favorite JRPG series easily.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BrightWing posted:

Fake edit, a few more immediate thoughts: I knew that Estelle and Joshua falling was a fake out because of youtube vids of Zero, so it didn't hit me as hard as it would have. But everything involving those two...basically all game is great. I wonder whats up with Weissman's staff that Campanella ran off with it? Whats up with all the Pronouns outta nowhere when Loewe broke the barrier? Speaking of: Weissman is a great villian too! Talk about hating a charcters guts.

If you complete all the "Memory Doors" in the next game, this question is answered. (well, at least a bit)

We still don't know exactly what "Divergent Laws" means. Cold Steel 2 namedrops the term exactly once if you take a certain character to one of the later-game boss fights, but that's about it for us westerners.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Er...are we sure Aksys fixed the localization?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I don't see whats wrong with either of these? Delinquents style their hair weird and that's how you are supposed to know what they are in a school uniform setting.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

It's the fact that in the time between walking across the school, Kou changed from a third year to a second year. (Or rather, vice versa, since I'm pretty sure he's a second year.)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ah yeah that's fair. I was looking for wonky grammar not outright translation mistakes

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Does ys origin have cloud save? I had to reformat my computer and was already at the final boss...

If not we will just play again from the start sadface.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Zaggitz posted:

ah yeah that's fair. I was looking for wonky grammar not outright translation mistakes

On the wonky grammar side, I saw one of "White Shroud"'s first side story end lines missing a period.

Ulio posted:

Does ys origin have cloud save? I had to reformat my computer and was already at the final boss...

Pretty sure it has cloud save.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm pretty sure all the xseed steam releases do, ive done playthroughs of the sky and ys games across three diff computers and never had to get backup saves.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I'm about 10 hours into Sky FC and despite loving Cold Steel from the jump I'm finding it pretty tough to get into. If I hadn't already played another Trails game I definitely would've bounced off. On top of that I just looked at a walkthrough and it turns out I've missed at least one sidequest so now I have to play through the whole game knowing that I won't get the max bracer rank gaaaaah

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

da beeper king BABY posted:

I'm about 10 hours into Sky FC and despite loving Cold Steel from the jump I'm finding it pretty tough to get into. If I hadn't already played another Trails game I definitely would've bounced off. On top of that I just looked at a walkthrough and it turns out I've missed at least one sidequest so now I have to play through the whole game knowing that I won't get the max bracer rank gaaaaah

max bracer rank in FC has a huge window, you can hit it pretty easily without a guide.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

da beeper king BABY posted:

Think of it as a blessing, you can just play the game now and not worry about missing stuff since you're never going to get max BP.

Anyway, it does start very slowly but it all starts to build up and pay off brilliantly about half way through. Also if you're not already doing so you should definitely speed the game up

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Olivier is pretty great in chapter 1 and then chapter 2, especially the second half, is really great imo. CHapter 3 kinda slows down because its chock full of sidequests but the end of that through the entirety of chapter 4 is great and ties together the game really well.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Sky is generally slower paced most of the time, and it’s very much a deliberate thing with a great payoff, I don’t think the first time Recapture played would have as much of an impact if the normal boss music wasn’t what it was.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I will say that Olivier just joined the party for the second time and it's already a big improvement. I'll keep at it for sure, but man 2004 was another era in terms of game pacing, especially for JRPGs. I'm super grateful XSeed came back and added the turbo button, it really makes a difference for the myriad highways, mines, and forests you have to trek back and forth through.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ulio posted:

If your save wasn't recovered, I can send you save files for any character right before the last fight. It'll be on Normal though.

Speaking of Ys, I started playing Ys 1 after Origin and drat that music is sweet. The gameplay less so, but I understand that it is an old game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I should have Yunica at the final boss on nightmare.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Speaking of Ys, I started playing Ys 1 after Origin and drat that music is sweet. The gameplay less so, but I understand that it is an old game.

Make sure you've talked to all...I want to say twenty? other people in Barbado Port before you talk to Slaff. Go back & talk to him again after you've rescued your waifu.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
ToCS1 Kai bonus
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/941525513704636416
drat my jam packed shelves

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I guess Ill get to be one of the lucky ones in the thread and play The Third before moving on to CS. Also, just stumbled on a Kotaku article about the localization process of bringing SC over. God drat I want to give all of those people a hug or something, it sounds like they needed it.

Thought crossed my mind earlier: What was Weissman's plan exactly? Get the Aureole and give it to the Grandmaster? It occurred to me that I didn't have a grasp on what he was actually going to do with the thing, besides "nothing good". Also who the hell is the Grandmaster, someone that even Weissman had loyalty to? (I know I'm not getting an answer there, just thinking out loud).

Also also, we need a Dad Bright Prequal Game. That would be awesome.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

BrightWing posted:

I guess Ill get to be one of the lucky ones in the thread and play The Third before moving on to CS. Also, just stumbled on a Kotaku article about the localization process of bringing SC over. God drat I want to give all of those people a hug or something, it sounds like they needed it.

Thought crossed my mind earlier: What was Weissman's plan exactly? Get the Aureole and give it to the Grandmaster? It occurred to me that I didn't have a grasp on what he was actually going to do with the thing, besides "nothing good". Also who the hell is the Grandmaster, someone that even Weissman had loyalty to? (I know I'm not getting an answer there, just thinking out loud).

Also also, we need a Dad Bright Prequal Game. That would be awesome.

I think once Weissman got his hands on the Aureole proper he talked a bit before the final battle about using it to elevate humanity beyond free will or some such nonsense. That seemed very much to be his own machination though and not that of OB as a whole, since they are very big on their members following the society of their own free will.

We don't know what the Grandmaster wants with it, or any of the other 6 sept-terrions, yet.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

BrightWing posted:

Weissmann's own plan was to eventually use the Aureole to forcibly evolve the human species since he's convinced humankind will either butcher itself to death in armed conflict or turn into vegetables as their lives become more and more dependant on technology and as such, human intelligence must be heightened while human emotion must be purged. That's Weissmann's own plan though and there's no indication he even knows how to use the Aureole for something like that. He initially was supposed to go down to the core, retrieve the Aureole and take it to the Grandmaster. But Weissmann couldn't help but be a dick, so instead of taking the Shining Ring and getting the hell out of dodge, he waited for Estelle and co to make their way to him, just so he could take control of Joshua again, have him kill Estelle with his own hands and then savor in the former's despair. Which Joshua and Cassius anticipated, hence they and Kevin planned around that. When the party corners him, he goes rogue and instead of taking the Aureole and running, he merges with it. That doesn't work out for him and when the Aureole vanishes (you'll find out what exactly happened there in 3rd if you didn't figure it out already), he's left as target practice for Kevin.

What Weissmann did was a rogue action and we're not sure what exactly Ouroboros wanted with it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cyouni posted:

On the wonky grammar side, I saw one of "White Shroud"'s first side story end lines missing a period.

Pretty sure it has cloud save.

Ya it does thank god. Didn't wanna go all the way back up the tower to fight Dalles.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Ouroboros wants to collect all the Sept-Terrions (of which there's likely to be seven) for nefarious purposes. You'll get a tiny taste of that in the 3rd and then not much more in Cold Steel.

I think the Crossbell arc might touch on those plans a little bit?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Some Numbers posted:

Ouroboros wants to collect all the Sept-Terrions (of which there's likely to be seven) for nefarious purposes. You'll get a tiny taste of that in the 3rd and then not much more in Cold Steel.

As Professor Alba mentions in FC, there are seven - one for each element. The Aureole governs space.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Some Numbers posted:

Sept-terrion literally means "seven treasures"

Sky and Crossbell arcs are about one Sept-terrion each. And in the NG+ stuff for CS2 you find out there's 2 in Erebonia, and are given more info about them in 3.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
drat, I'm really digging how much of a trails game tokyo xanadu is

do wish this was on switch too tho. put all jrpgs on the switch imo

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

psychoJ posted:

drat, I'm really digging how much of a trails game tokyo xanadu is

do wish this was on switch too tho. put all jrpgs on the switch imo

It’s kind of weird now given how much better the PS4 versions are, but that and Ys VIII were both fantastic vita games and they made my commute much better for a long time.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So just vauge elevate humanity poo poo. I got that bit but it makes sense that even Weissman wasn't sure how to use the Aureole to that end. And yeah I love how Joshua and Kevin's plan came down to "we know he won't resist being a dick".

No I admit I didn't catch where exactly the Oreo vanished too but Ragnard mentioned something about a True Answer so I figured it was mostly Estelle and co Live Together message beating Weissman's LOGIC! message.

E: phone posting, grammer

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

BrightWing posted:

No I admit I didn't catch where exactly the Oreo vanished too but Ragnard mentioned something about a True Answer so I figured it was mostly Estelle and co Live Together message beating Weissman's LOGIC! message.

E: phone posting, grammer

You'll get some pretty concise answers to that bit in 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
If The Third contains more BURN THE HEATHENS Kevin I am fully on board already.

He seems fun. And terrifying.