Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

i support the people's republic of lf and wanna make my support clear and emphatic by posting about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My favorite bit from the 96 election is that Yeltsin had a 90+% population turnout in Chechnya, which at the time was still at the tail end of the First Chechen War, and absolutely everyone there hated Yeltsin's guts.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I have personally flown Migs for Assad the Lion

I'm the chief manufacturer of barrels in the Levant

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite bit from the 96 election is that Yeltsin had a 90+% population turnout in Chechnya, which at the time was still at the tail end of the First Chechen War, and absolutely everyone there hated Yeltsin's guts.

didnt putin manage more than 100% awhile ago, or exactly 100%

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

99.76% apparently, drat

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Top City Homo posted:

I still don’t understand how that drunk piece of poo poo became president instead of being hanged off a street lamp

I don't know how he got elected in the first place, but I think Clinton rigged the election for him in 96 to keep him in power so international oligarchs could swindle the population

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

he was gonna lose to the communists and get thrown in jail probably but billions in oligarch/imf money and fraud kept him in office

yanks 2 the rescue

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the hardliners lost their balls in '91, also

e: and gorby was born without them, i think

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 14, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
in retrospect i wish the hardliners had succeeded in their coup and crushed all opposition

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
does anyone in this thread have any good books recs on Salvador Allende and the Chilean coup in general?

yes I’m aware that modern communists don’t actually read

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

in retrospect i wish the hardliners had succeeded in their coup and crushed all opposition

they should have; the anti-democratic nature of yeltsin's reorganization was revealed when he started shelling the white house

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i also liked how in the new blade runner the USSR never collapsed and there are ads for holographic ballerinas titled SOVIET HAPPY

SOVIET HAPPY

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

R. Guyovich posted:

he was gonna lose to the communists and get thrown in jail probably but billions in oligarch/imf money and fraud kept him in office

what a mess

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Autism Sneaks posted:

you make a compelling case, but you're so consistently wrong it's axiomatic so idk who is right :thunk:

have you contributed anything to this thread that isn't needlessly sardonic and bereft of substance

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 15, 2017

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Yossarian-22 posted:

have you contributed anything to this thread that isn't needlessly sardonic and bereft of substance

why did you quote a post

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

R. Guyovich posted:

they should have; the anti-democratic nature of yeltsin's reorganization was revealed when he started shelling the white house

I've been on a cocaine binge for the last eight months so I'm out of the loop, did you suddenly start caring about democracy?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
An anticommunist coke fiend? I am shocked,

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Yossarian-22 posted:

turn your monitor on

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

An anticommunist coke fiend? I am shocked,

How exactly do you expect a fellow proletarian to function without access to high-grade North Korean methamphetamine? Jesus, be reasonable.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

How exactly do you expect a fellow proletarian to function without access to high-grade North Korean methamphetamine? Jesus, be reasonable.

Well are you on coke or chrystal meth? Have you just been snorting baking soda and using that as an excuse to indulge in a manic episode?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Well are you on coke or chrystal meth? Have you just been snorting baking soda and using that as an excuse to indulge in a manic episode?

Coke and meth have similar methods of action. In the absence of meth I've had to turn to our comrades in the FARC.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What is the most proletarian drug? Asking for a friend.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

You mean like the opiate of the masses?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Helsing posted:

Kratom

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Helsing posted:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Well, alcohol. Otherwise, any prole can grow and numb themselves with pot.

Uppers are tremendously bourgeois.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Does caffeine count

Because its caffeine

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I remember a classic lf meme (or maybe it was just one post) that black coffee and red wine was the proletariat 4loko

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

I remember a classic lf meme (or maybe it was just one post) that black coffee and red wine was the proletariat 4loko

Since when are soccer mom's proletariat

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dreddout posted:

Since literally always?

Inasmuch as you can make an exception for upper middle class/upper class soccer moms, that argues against Marx's straightforward idea of class struggle. But the average mom taking her kids to soccer is absolutely proletarian.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

I've been on a cocaine binge for the last eight months so I'm out of the loop, did you suddenly start caring about democracy?

i'll take "direct violation of a referendum that won with over 70 percent of the vote" for 500, alex

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

plus the whole worker's democracy being superior to bourgeois democracy thing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Since literally always?

Inasmuch as you can make an exception for upper middle class/upper class soccer moms, that argues against Marx's straightforward idea of class struggle. But the average mom taking her kids to soccer is absolutely proletarian.

jacobin's mother's day article is a stunning follow-up to their "pro athletes are workers" take

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Since literally always?

Wasn't there a moratorium on you posting in this thread? Or am I thinking of Hamprince/Zegermans?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/BLACKMESSlAH/status/941541761234632705

fellas?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

they have an intranet, so... yeah they have like super net neutrality

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

R. Guyovich posted:

i'll take "direct violation of a referendum that won with over 70 percent of the vote" for 500, alex

I don't understand why you'd care. Since when do you care about voting results?

Dreddout posted:

Wasn't there a moratorium on you posting in this thread? Or am I thinking of Hamprince/Zegermans?

No idea. Cocaine binge.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dreddout posted:

like early 20th century proletariat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The New York Review has a review of a new biography of Karl Polanyi in the current issue --> The Man from Red Vienna.

The new bio is Karl Polanyi: A Life on the Left by Gareth Dale