Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Looks like Cherryh is going to basically be 'Stellaris 2' in all but name.

Being able to press a button to rebuild a fleet without needing to manually go to each base to choose the parts will be a much welcome addition. Also retrofitting if I just defeated an enemy that used shields as their defenses and now going against an enemy that is using only armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

My question is, why didn't they just put all this cool stuff in the game when they first made it instead of waiting so long to patch it in

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Time, budget, feedback, etc.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

gowb posted:

My question is, why didn't they just put all this cool stuff in the game when they first made it instead of waiting so long to patch it in

Because they just don't like you, gowb.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
devs, you guys should make hull red/orange and armor green. That way the most outer layers of protection are more blue and it's not a huge deal necessarily if they break, but you get closer to getting boned and eventually have a sliver of red.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

gowb posted:

This is actually just a big show, the rest of us have been playing 2.0 since release. Sorry to ruin the surprise wiz, I know you had wanted to make the reveal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gowb posted:

Because they've never made a game like this before and didn't really know what they were going for for a long time in initial development and the whole thing has been a huge learning process for all involved.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Hopefully the army changes next week is just getting rid of standing armies and making them a ship module or something. I always found invading planets in Stellaris to be extremely tedious.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Firebert posted:

Hopefully the army changes next week is just getting rid of standing armies and making them a ship module or something. I always found invading planets in Stellaris to be extremely tedious.

I just want investing in armies to not be a trap. Any research you invest into making your ground armies is better spent on something else and just taking a few extra assault troops.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ideally I've love some sort of system where the actual act of invading planets was very simple, not unlike parking an army over a fort in EU4. BUT your manpower/units were still very important and would act as a limiting force in territorial gains in war. Having a huge fleet is great, but if you don't also have a large army designed around invasion and most importantly occupation, you're not going to be able to take and hold as much.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
every time you invade a planet the it switches over to a hearts of iron style game and you have do a world conquest

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Armies are cool so i hope they don't get rid of them. The game would be less good if you couldn't invade planets with a horde of psychic lizards riding aliens and predators

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Farecoal posted:

every time you invade a planet the it switches over to a hearts of iron style game and you have do a world conquest

This but also combined with a ck2 style system where you try to have your species infiltrate the highest levels of the various national governments in order to get those countries to surrender.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
With a fleet manager system, corvettes will finally have some use past the cruiser tier. I usually give up on even having them late-game, since they all die even if I win and it's a pain to replace them manually.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Farecoal posted:

nah, Supreme Commander. We'll call it, stellaris : total war

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gowb posted:

Because design is legitimately difficult and takes time, iteration, and testing. Some lessons you learn from failing.

It’s also way way easier to critique and tweak something that already exists than a product that hasn’t seen the light of day or full implementation.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
How do you make Federations? I can't see a way to raise opinion higher past the Trust cap, and they're still only "cordial" and still have a crippling -50 base to a federation request... Do I just dump a metric ton of minerals into a target empire as a bribe right before I offer the invitation?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Artificer posted:

How do you make Federations? I can't see a way to raise opinion higher past the Trust cap, and they're still only "cordial" and still have a crippling -50 base to a federation request... Do I just dump a metric ton of minerals into a target empire as a bribe right before I offer the invitation?

a) Make your government closely align with theirs
b) Be mutually threatened by some assholes

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Artificer posted:

along with what the dude above me said, i also feel that the bigger you are the harder it is to make/join a federation. the longer a game goes on the harder it is to make one. this could just be complete bullshit though.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I don't care how invasions work, I just want to be able to zoom in on the planet and see dropships entering orbit and stuff like that.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Would having a little chess board, or hex board if that's your thing, pop up during invasions be interesting? On one hand so much of combat is abstracted that I'm not sure something like this would fit, but on the other hand I think I'd much rather prefer the game streamlines economy and adds more tactical depth.

What I'd really like to see more than anything is a construction manager, i.e. you queue up everything you want to do and resources get distributed to projects as they come in. Something similar to how the sector AI allocates it's resources.

I can't count the times that I've decided that I'm gonna save up for a capital upgrade only to look at my minerals 4-5 turns later and be like "huh, why am I floating so many minerals" and then spend everything, and then realize "oooooh yeah I was saving up for a capital, welp I just queued up 8-9 upgrades that I'm much to lazy to try and go back and cancel them all"

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Armies should be necessary to hold captured planets during wars (for warscore).

invade planet -> leave = planet instantly flips back to the owner.

invade planet -> leave but leave behind small army = chance the population rebels.

To keep control of the invaded planet you need to keep an occupying army the size of half of the population.

Naturally army build cost/speed might need some tweaking as you'll need more of them. But it would feel a lot more roleplay-y to have to keep occupying armies or risk the local population taking back the planet (and you losing it's conquering warscore).

Would also make it important to conquer big planets (more warscore if occupying) rather than just x number of planets. Hell, maybe occupying the capital planet could cover 50% of the warscore needs. Making it very important to keep your capital defended.

This would also make it extremely important to defend your armies in space and make it a tactical importance to intercept enemy armies!.

--this post was writing early in the morning on 0.2 cups off coffee

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

With a fleet manager system, corvettes will finally have some use past the cruiser tier. I usually give up on even having them late-game, since they all die even if I win and it's a pain to replace them manually.

They also have way more survivability in 2.0 thanks to having the highest Disengage chance in the game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Doesn't matter if they're dead first. And they will be since they don't actually dodge anything.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Bloodly posted:

Doesn't matter if they're dead first. And they will be since they don't actually dodge anything.
You can disengage at <50% health. Few weapons in 1.9 will take a corvette from 100-0% in one hit, and we don’t even know the damage for 2.0. So... when the designer says they will get to disengage that’s probably true?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

You can disengage at <50% health. Few weapons in 1.9 will take a corvette from 100-0% in one hit, and we don’t even know the damage for 2.0. So... when the designer says they will get to disengage that’s probably true?

Pffft, like Wiz knows how the game works

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

Yes, this is indeed a sentence that is incorrect in everything it could possibly be incorrect about. Well done.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Split Pea Superman posted:

Would having a little chess board, or hex board if that's your thing, pop up during invasions be interesting? On one hand so much of combat is abstracted that I'm not sure something like this would fit, but on the other hand I think I'd much rather prefer the game streamlines economy and adds more tactical depth.

How about you pick a tile for your armies' forward base, and the armies fan out and do their own thing while you watch? This tile system would also put more importance on better, higher tiered armies rather than just steamrolling everything with 50+ army doomstack.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Seeing all these great updates being announced makes me wonder why other games companies don't take this approach. Games release all the time that are pretty decent but with a load of issues that hamper them but paradox are the first company I can remember who basically said "hey why don't we overhaul all these systems that are detracting from the game".

Does anyone know how much this update will cost? There's so much in it that I'd probably be willing to pay the full price of the game again at this rate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think most other companies are more like "let's improve that stuff in the sequel".

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jabor posted:

I think most other companies are more like "let's improve that stuff in the sequel".

And then you have Firaxis, who... don't.

*Edit*

Well, that's a bit unfair. XCOM was vastly improved in a lot of areas in the sequel, but when it comes to Civ it's sadly a different story.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 15, 2017

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
Paradox also releases a lot of priced additional content, which helps fund free features and patches.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
It's me...I'm the guy buying plantoid pictures to fund our communistic free updates.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Aethernet posted:

Great stuff. Next week is armies, finally heralding the end of the scourge of ground combat in its current form, hopefully!

Its a one line dev post.

"We're removing it and adding components to ships that make them break planets faster."

E: Okay to be serious. I'd miss discovering titanic life if this happened. Its a delight to find a giant monster world and make them your friends who fight fanatical purifiers with you. :allears: "You thought the galaxy was full of horrors that you needed to destroy. Turns out, You were right!"

The storytelling moments this game has is wonderful. Like the Fronds of Gold story earlier.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 15, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Chalks posted:

Does anyone know how much this update will cost? There's so much in it that I'd probably be willing to pay the full price of the game again at this rate.

As far as I remember, everything described so far as part of the Cherryh update is going to be part of the free patch. They haven't even mentioned any accompanying DLC (but I assume there will be some).

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Chalks posted:

Seeing all these great updates being announced makes me wonder why other games companies don't take this approach. Games release all the time that are pretty decent but with a load of issues that hamper them but paradox are the first company I can remember who basically said "hey why don't we overhaul all these systems that are detracting from the game".

Bear in mind not even Paradox has done something this extensive before with their games. CK2 adds good content (and EU4 bad cruft), and sometimes they get around to modifying a system or two per major release.

This is to my knowledge the first time Paradox has decided to rip out the entrails of one of its games and replace them with new, cybernetic entrails. So far for free. This is a pretty bold experiment, but I hope it gets received well.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Conskill posted:

Bear in mind not even Paradox has done something this extensive before with their games. CK2 adds good content (and EU4 bad cruft), and sometimes they get around to modifying a system or two per major release.

This is to my knowledge the first time Paradox has decided to rip out the entrails of one of its games and replace them with new, cybernetic entrails. So far for free. This is a pretty bold experiment, but I hope it gets received well.

Conclave was kind of an extensive re-work of a lot of existing CK2 systems, but you're right that it's not on this level.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Baronjutter posted:

Ideally I've love some sort of system where the actual act of invading planets was very simple, not unlike parking an army over a fort in EU4. BUT your manpower/units were still very important and would act as a limiting force in territorial gains in war. Having a huge fleet is great, but if you don't also have a large army designed around invasion and most importantly occupation, you're not going to be able to take and hold as much.

In Endless Space 2, you have a extra manpower resource much like how EU4 has. All your ships require manpower to build and its also used in ground invasions. When you take control of a star system you can click on a button to invade and it will take some of your manpower from your fleet and you have a ground resolution phase much like space combat. Much easier then trying to control a bunch of ground transport ships also you can install modules to increase the amount manpower each ship has so you can design just troop transports if you would like.

Hope Stellaris has a system just as easy as I hate going to war with all the micromanagement of troops at the moment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tormented posted:

In Endless Space 2, you have a extra manpower resource much like how EU4 has. All your ships require manpower to build and its also used in ground invasions. When you take control of a star system you can click on a button to invade and it will take some of your manpower from your fleet and you have a ground resolution phase much like space combat. Much easier then trying to control a bunch of ground transport ships also you can install modules to increase the amount manpower each ship has so you can design just troop transports if you would like.

Hope Stellaris has a system just as easy as I hate going to war with all the micromanagement of troops at the moment.

Yeah the ES2 system is ok, but the rock paper scissors attack/defense choices are real bad an unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Dallan Invictus posted:

As far as I remember, everything described so far as part of the Cherryh update is going to be part of the free patch. They haven't even mentioned any accompanying DLC (but I assume there will be some).

Everything they've talked about so far is free. They've confirmed it several times.

• Locked thread