Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I went cheap when the original thermostat failed, and bought a $20 one from AutoZone.

Uh...

So the old one had 2 gaskets. 1 around it (for the housing), and one that actually sealed the thermostat itself. The latter got pushed out and tangled up in the spring... so it couldn't open all the way. It also had small holes drilled all the way around that would normally be covered by that gasket, so it wasn't really blocking all flow when closed. New one just has the single gasket for the housing.

Fucker's kinda down in there too. Had to unplug the engine harness and have someone hold it so I could get to the bolts. Not horrible to get to, just need a foot and a half of extensions (and hope you don't drop one of the bolts). Warms up a lot quicker now, and didn't threaten to overheat immediately after getting off the highway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Today I fixed up fuckups. I took my car for a drive on the freeway and it was shaking apart and the a/c didn't work :(
One fuckup mine (plug for fan had come undone). Strange because I tested it before putting the dash together. Anyway, plugged back in and it works now. Other gently caress up arguably mine, but I'm going with the tyre shop because they hosed me up in another way*. Spacer ring missing on front wheel, so I fitted one and it seems better at 80km/hr - haven't been on the fwy again. Now they wouldn't have known about them maybe, but I'm pissed off at them so calling them fuckwits here.

* They were supposed to take the spare off the front - the only proper sized conti 225/55/r16- put that back in the boot and then fit 4 new 225/55 tyres to the car (inc the lovely tyre in the boot they took out). They were all no name brands of the wrong size (225/50) . Fuckers tossed the good continental correct size tyre and kept the best tyre as spare - which is one of the wrong sized china no name generic mayfun or something. Only found this out today when checking the spare for a spacer ring.

E: Lesson learned. I should have swapped the tyres around and put the conti in the boot myself first. Problem was the spare in the boot was truly rooted and low on air, and some idiot over tightened the nuts on the car as usual. Also I wanted the rim changed anyway, as the one in the boot was kerbed (yeah they hosed that up too and put a slightly kerbed rim on the car with a new tyre and put the better rim in the boot with the mayfun crap tyre).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 14, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lol wtf that poo poo looks like it's been soaked in acetone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yesterday, I got around to putting the head unit on my '92 Civic back together after replacing the soldered-in fuse with a fuse holder a few years ago.

I'm still missing some pieces, because I have no idea where the outer shell has gone. Also no idea where this little metal piece that was in the storage box with it goes.

Sound quality seems pretty good inside the car, but not all the buttons work, and it doesn't seem to be able to accurately pick up stations unless I kind of force-tune it by rapidly pressing the scan buttons at the right time to force it to land on the right frequency.

I'm sure it's just gunk inside the faceplate. I might tear it back down and deoxit the faceplate.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Larrymer posted:

I wish I had that much room for all my rock auto magnets. :allears: I have the side of a couple small poo poo tool boxes completely filled. Need to upgrade my tool storage someday soon.

It's taken a while to get my garage crap even to the point it is. That cabinet came from a friend - I had to add shelves inside.
I only just bought a 44" wide 5' tall toolbox (from Costco) a couple of years ago. Until then, all my tools were in the a Craftsman 3-drawer top box, Craftsman's shittiest, tiniest rollaway (like 18" wide and 3' tall), and wherever else I could make them fit.
That toolbox has been the best $400 spent ever.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yesterday, I got around to putting the head unit on my '92 Civic back together after replacing the soldered-in fuse with a fuse holder a few years ago.

I'm still missing some pieces, because I have no idea where the outer shell has gone. Also no idea where this little metal piece that was in the storage box with it goes.

Sound quality seems pretty good inside the car, but not all the buttons work, and it doesn't seem to be able to accurately pick up stations unless I kind of force-tune it by rapidly pressing the scan buttons at the right time to force it to land on the right frequency.

I'm sure it's just gunk inside the faceplate. I might tear it back down and deoxit the faceplate.

That metal plate goes on the rear. Short side bolts to the back of the radio. Long side sticks out to the rear of the radio (front of the car.) Bolts go through holes in the dash metal behind the radio into that plate to secure it in the dash. Otherwise it's just sitting there retained by the rubber trim around the face.
The bolts go up, BTW, accessed from below. I removed and installed many similar Honda radios many years ago.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darchangel posted:

It's taken a while to get my garage crap even to the point it is. That cabinet came from a friend - I had to add shelves inside.
I only just bought a 44" wide 5' tall toolbox (from Costco) a couple of years ago. Until then, all my tools were in the a Craftsman 3-drawer top box, Craftsman's shittiest, tiniest rollaway (like 18" wide and 3' tall), and wherever else I could make them fit.
That toolbox has been the best $400 spent ever.

When my little lovely boxes get replaced, I'm going all in on this fucker. I think it'll fit all my tools. ALL of them. Power tools included. Saw one in store and I'm amazed it's as cheap as it is for the size.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-13-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-in-Black-H52CH6TR7P/207105936

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol wtf that poo poo looks like it's been soaked in acetone.

Well, it's been sitting in Dexcool for a few years, so... worse.

Now I just need to get a new tire, and drive enough for all the emissions monitors to hit ready. Then I can get it inspected.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Not necessarily today but over the past couple weeks got some paint on my datsun

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
love the color.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

sneakyfrog posted:

love the color.

Thanks. I can't wait to see it after all the parts are back on the car.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sneakyfrog posted:

love the color.

:same:

Color got a name?

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:same:

Color got a name?

Bright Blue Metallic from Kirker automotive finishes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Not necessarily today but over the past couple weeks got some paint on my datsun

unf that looks super good, but why does the first pic look all orange-peely is it just the metal flake or something?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

Love the S30!!!!!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's seen better days. Replaced that one. The other 3 were replaced a couple of months ago, but this one was replaced when half worn under road hazard... wanted to wait until it was to the wear bars, and then, well, other bills got in the way.

Got 4 matching (in name/specs anyway) tires now, as I switched brands when I got the other 3. Just need wiper blades, then I can get it inspected. Cripes, these tires went up by a bit... I think I had paid $65/ea when I replaced the worst two, then $75ish for the last one. $88 this time (before mounting, disposal, road hazard, etc - $120 after all of that poo poo). They're not anything particularly special, but they're not quite no-name - Barum Bravuris 3HM, which I think is part of Continental.

I should tell my stepdad I got Czech tires. :v: (he's part Czechoslovakian..)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 15, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Larrymer posted:

When my little lovely boxes get replaced, I'm going all in on this fucker. I think it'll fit all my tools. ALL of them. Power tools included. Saw one in store and I'm amazed it's as cheap as it is for the size.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-13-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-in-Black-H52CH6TR7P/207105936

Mine's basically that. Different arrangement of drawers and cabinet, and I think it's only 44-48" wide. Kirkland branded from Costco. $399 when they clearanced them. That one there or it's slightly smaller brother were what I was eyeballing until the Kirkland came to my attention, thanks to a friend with a Costco card. He got one, too.
I do like the deeper top area on the Husky, but mine is acceptable.
So nice having the majority of my tools in one place, and not crammed tight.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That's seen better days. Replaced that one. The other 3 were replaced a couple of months ago, but this one was replaced when half worn under road hazard... wanted to wait until it was to the wear bars, and then, well, other bills got in the way.

Got 4 matching (in name/specs anyway) tires now, as I switched brands when I got the other 3. Just need wiper blades, then I can get it inspected. Cripes, these tires went up by a bit... I think I had paid $65/ea when I replaced the worst two, then $75ish for the last one. $88 this time (before mounting, disposal, road hazard, etc - $120 after all of that poo poo). They're not anything particularly special, but they're not quite no-name - Barum Bravuris 3HM, which I think is part of Continental.

I should tell my stepdad I got Czech tires. :v: (he's part Czechoslovakian..)

Loving that shadow-tread. At least there's no cords showing.

edit: and that Z is purdy. Blue is absolutely my color, and that's a good one.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

unf that looks super good, but why does the first pic look all orange-peely is it just the metal flake or something?

that picture was taken only a few hours after painting. it might just need to be buffed and polished or whatever, my dad is the one that does all the paint/body work part of it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My truck blew out the fuel filter seal again, and the seal expanded to 110% of it's proper size so just tightening it didn't do poo poo. I went to a 6.0 style fuel filter

old vs. new

I took the car to get a fuel filter, and 5 minutes away from the parts store i smoke screened everyone behind me. A hose clamp on the heater core connection decided to gently caress right off.

Back in there, like 8 feet from the front bumper and 4 feet from the side.

Being an idiot with no tools on me, i curbstomped a quarter into the hose clamp, all hose clamps should come like this.

It'll be interesting to see how long the quarter stays there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ever since figuring out that most Japanese gadgets expect a 1Ą piece to be used for a screwdriver for battery doors, etc I've kept one in every toolbox.

I wonder if the Subaru hose clamps will work with a 100Ą.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ever since figuring out that most Japanese gadgets expect a 1Ą piece to be used for a screwdriver for battery doors, etc I've kept one in every toolbox.

I wonder if the Subaru hose clamps will work with a 100Ą.

Subaru has those miserable hose clamps that rust and come off with dykes, then get replaced with a conventional hose clamp...

These sinister little bastards:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Subaru has those miserable hose clamps that rust and come off with dykes, then get replaced with a conventional hose clamp...

NSFW language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfVqr0EkLXA

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:lol: that was an appropriate amount of anger for the hilarity

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Larrymer posted:

Until the very end I pictured Stifler, especially when he said “dick beaters”.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I dunno what you look like irl, but I picture you as him. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

chrisgt posted:

Nissan uses those motherfuckers too. Even in the land of no rust, they're a massive pain in the dick. I'm pretty sure I'd rather get an apadravya instead of dealing with those fuckers again.

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

Being an idiot with no tools on me, i curbstomped a quarter into the hose clamp, all hose clamps should come like this.

It'll be interesting to see how long the quarter stays there.

Ideal has some that have a plastic handle molded on.
http://idealtridon.com/aftermarket/specialty-clamps/turn-key-5y6y/

I've got a few. Seem OK. I was able to tighten them adequately without breaking anything. We'll see how they age, though. You can get the plastic key off - there's a male square head underneath, so can be removed with a wrench if necessary.

I don't even work on diesels or big trucks and that enrages me.

Larrymer posted:

As for what I did this weekend: finished up the wife's Kia by putting in the rear struts. I somehow hosed up (or Rock Auto did, I haven't double checked part numbers yet) the strut tops, so I had to reuse the old ones, but, unlike the fronts, they were in good shape. I didn't like how the boots/bump stops fit, either, so I reused them as well. Again, in good shape. As for how the strut tops were wrong: Kia changed something about the rear struts for 2008. Apparently one of those changes was the diameter of the threaded portion. The new strut top's holes were too big, so they didn't index on the provided flat (which is a nice feature. Allows you to loosen the top nut easily.) The bellows were a lot shorter than the originals, and the bump stop had a shoulder that prevented them from sliding down far enough to clear the threaded portion. I used the part numbers for the tops and boots from the 2004-2007 Spectra5 KYB rear kit (that you can't get for the 2008 because of the different struts) and they showed as fitting 2008 when I looked them up, or so I thought. Will double check, but sending back regardless. My fabricobbled strut compressor worked reasonably well again. I did have to use my normal spring compressor to hold the springs just a bit shorter than full extension, because I didn't have enough height in my press. I need to shorten the compressor a bit. I made it unnecessarily tall. I only need enough room for a ratchet and socket. I'd hoped to be able to fit my impact in there. but it's not quite enough.

I did that on Sunday. Saturday, we went Christmas shopping. Then I finally got to work on the Corolla again. I put springs in the rear, replacing the cut 30-year-old OEM springs:

Before:

After:

I'll do the front springs later. They're not as dire. The rear was rubbing, and the springs were scary on the perches.

Also cleaned and de-greased the trunk:

Mess:

Clean:

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007
There's a fair amount of backstory behind this, but I've got a rebuilt 454 in my 78 C10, and I decided to adjust the valves before I got the break-in oil changed out of the thing. I watched several videos on the internet before attempting this with the engine running so I figured by this point I was an expert. Since I knew it was going to make an unholy mess I decided to record the carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmR3y3wtJmw

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
....why?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Aren't you supposed to adjust valves with the engine off??

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've always done it with the motor stone cold, perhaps a pushrod motor is different? (I know you aren't supposed to adjust them while running, I more mean temperature wise)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 18, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Commander Puddin
Sep 30, 2007

Its had a roller cam conversion done to it - I set the preload on the rockers when I put the heads on, but I really had no clue before making the adjustment on the running engine where things are set. I had to back some of the bolts off as much as 3 turns before I heard any audible valve noise so I'm glad I did it. As I mentioned, there's a lot of videos of people doing this successfully on Youtube. The biggest thing I learned from this is something those videos don't show- Make sure to use a thin-wall socket, and don't come in at an angle when positioning that socket. I wish I could say this is the dumbest thing I've done during this rebuild, but its not even close.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
new tires. To answer the obvious question, yes, they are excellent & there is no rubbing and the vehicle came from the factory stock like this. I'm debating changing the color scheme to BMW blue body / silver wheels but that is a dream for another time

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the reasoning behind doing a running valve adjustment is to get the hydraulic lifters to pump up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I've watched my dad do it many years ago (solid lifter GM 350HP 327 cam in a '57 .030"-over 283 in a '55 Chevy Bel Air) and in a number of videos, and that's the way you do it. Back it off until it clatters, then tighten it back up until it just barely doesn't.
I've never had to, because every pushrod engine I've had was hydraulic lifter.

Commander Puddin posted:

Its had a roller cam conversion done to it - I set the preload on the rockers when I put the heads on, but I really had no clue before making the adjustment on the running engine where things are set. I had to back some of the bolts off as much as 3 turns before I heard any audible valve noise so I'm glad I did it. As I mentioned, there's a lot of videos of people doing this successfully on Youtube. The biggest thing I learned from this is something those videos don't show- Make sure to use a thin-wall socket, and don't come in at an angle when positioning that socket. I wish I could say this is the dumbest thing I've done during this rebuild, but its not even close.

I agree that may be your problem. Make sure that the socket fits in the rocker first! Better still, use roller rockers, then the nut is on top.
That reminds me that I really need to put my roller rockers on my Cutlass some day. Only had them like 10 years now.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Nothing fancy today.

Checked the thermostat housing to ensure it hadn't leaked since I replaced the thermostat a week+ ago (yes there is one bracket directly in the way of getting it off; yes, there is also another bracket bolted directly to the thermostat housing; no, I have no idea why Saab/GM did that):

Haven't lost any coolant:

Changed the oil.
Release the schmoo!

Recycled the oil so Colonel Sanders can use it to make more of his chicken:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Took all my fresh bushings out to grind them down to fit better since the shackles were binding. 4 hours and piles of orange fuzzy powder later they no longer bind, the ride is much smoother than it was before and the rear end doesn't say anymore from the left rear shackle getting stuck vertical while the right moved freely.

I'm slowly learning :downs:

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Project car is at the fabricators so working on some interior bits..

Prepped / painted the replacement dash housing (obtained on eBay) for a new Dakota Digital instrument cluster.

Old one coming out has a cutout for a steering column mounted tachometer which is broken (speedo is broken too).. and the new DD instrument cluster has a tach on it :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a long cluster. What is it out of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Powershift posted:

That's a long cluster. What is it out of?

1964 Impala SS