Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

ah yes chubby jay cutler clone who can eat all the sugar he wants and is given the green light to chuck on every play is definitely better than russ

I loved the commercials he was briefly in at one point with some other NFL players for some clothing company and he still looked like a kid wearing his dad's suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Deadspin is trash don't @ me

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Remember when it was possible to enjoy football and also life? I miss 2015.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eifert Posting posted:

Remember when you melted down and were glad your own team lost

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Post it

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Blarfk posted:

What team has a "z" ?

e: also I got an alternative for Which Hall-of-Fame Quarterback’s full name becomes the name of a country if you change the first letter -

Fran Tarkenton - Iran

e: agh, nevermind. Full name.

Fran-Iran is great, and I want to use it in a future quiz/puzzle. I'm writing down Blarfk so I remember to give credit when I look at this later.

It's weird that the team with a z is the first team alphabetically by city

The one I fretted the most about was the one about which team had moved the most times. Like, does it count as a move if they switch cities but keep the same city move (i.e. San Francisco to Santa Clara)? I couldn't find any site that keeps track of that, but I was pretty certain some megafan would say "wrong answer: the Jets moved to New Jersey then Queens then Brooklyn then New Jersey" or something like that. I couldn't think of a coherent way to phrase the question to eliminate that as a possibility.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Wasn't that also in 2015 lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Meltdowns, you say…

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

fsif posted:

Meltdowns, you say…

Dear Ed (Guns) Hochuli,

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eifert Posting posted:

It is but a faint memory which is why I am enjoying this season so much!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just noticed the Steelers have the league leader in pass attempts and the league leader in rushing attempts. :monocle:

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

Fran-Iran is great, and I want to use it in a future quiz/puzzle. I'm writing down Blarfk so I remember to give credit when I look at this later.

Ah thanks dude!

Drunk Nerds posted:

The one I fretted the most about was the one about which team had moved the most times. Like, does it count as a move if they switch cities but keep the same city move (i.e. San Francisco to Santa Clara)? I couldn't find any site that keeps track of that, but I was pretty certain some megafan would say "wrong answer: the Jets moved to New Jersey then Queens then Brooklyn then New Jersey" or something like that. I couldn't think of a coherent way to phrase the question to eliminate that as a possibility.

Hmm that's tough, though I think it's obvious what you're going for in the spirit of the question so I wouldn't worry! I got that one wrong, but only because I was dumb and didn't read the next question which would have clued me in (I thought Oakland had moved the most).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

fsif posted:

Meltdowns, you say…

Legendary meltdown deserves to live above all

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Naturally Selected posted:

I always saw it as the other way around. Cannon arm, no recognition/read skills. So yeah you can get it 50+ yards downfield, except you're not actually throwing it TO anyone.

Deshone Kizer

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there any reason Doug Marrone is getting absolutely no love in the CotY discussion? I think McVay and Belichick (pbuh) are probably the front runners but the turnaround he's engineered is at least as impressive as the Rams' or the Bills'

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Probably because everybody knows he's just a puppet for Coughlin.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

indigi posted:

is there any reason Doug Marrone is getting absolutely no love in the CotY discussion? I think McVay and Belichick (pbuh) are probably the front runners but the turnaround he's engineered is at least as impressive as the Rams' or the Bills'
I have no idea, but it is a little disappointing. TSBX may be on to something but eh, he should still get some looks.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
N: http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000892892

V: Lol.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If it's anything like buffalo Jacksonville is succeeding in spite of him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/112567-schefter-browns-begging-garoppolo-belichick-49ers-would-right/

quote:

The Patriots reportedly had the Cleveland Browns begging for an opportunity to acquire the quarterback.

Cleveland is in the same conference while San Francisco is not. But as ESPN's Adam Schefter has said in the past, he doesn't believe that was the sole reason behind the decision. While the Browns organization is in disarray, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has a great deal of respect for 49ers general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan. Schefter reiterated that belief on Thursday morning during a KNBR interview.

"In this particular case, New England came to the realization before it made any calls, 'Ok, unfortunately for us, as much as we want to keep Jimmy Garoppolo, we can't,'" Schefter said on the "Murph & Mac" show. "'We have to trade him, and we've got to trade him here in the next two days. Where do we want to trade him? I like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan. I think they're going to do right by Jimmy G. Let's call them.'"

quote:

"I'm theorizing here, but that trade fell into their laps," Schefter said. "And it fell into their laps, I believe, in large part because Bill Belichick and the Patriots organization had as much respect and good feeling for John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan as they did because the Cleveland Browns had been calling the Patriots last spring over and over. They tried apparently this fall and never got to first base with them. And then Monday morning, the day before the trade deadline (on) October 30, 49ers just sitting there, the Patriots call.

"(Patriots:) 'I think we're open to trading Jimmy G. You want him? Interested?' (49ers:) 'Yeah.' (Patriots:) 'Ok.'

"Next, it takes all of five minutes to agree to because the Patriots came to that point. Now, again, the 49ers are in the right conference – out of conference – but I'm telling you, I believe in my heart that the respect that Bill Belichick had for John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan factored into the decision to make that call into that place that morning.

"Look, ultimately, you've got to get what you think is fair compensation but the time was right. New England had made the decision that they had to move on, and when it looked out at the landscape of NFL teams, I think they liked and respected the people with the 49ers organization. And, as much respect as the Patriots have for Jimmy Garoppolo, they wanted to place him in a place they thought would treat him the way that they thought he should be treated, and that was the 49ers."

Cleveland not getting any of that real players

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Jesus

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

"gently caress Jamie Collins" Bill Belichick 2016

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

That's pretty clearly Jason Kelce.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"I'm theorizing here" seems so...un-Schefter.

This would be more fun if he was actually saying this happened, but he's just guessing :-/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I can't imagine Belichick as a guy who'd pass up on value out of something as basic as who he likes more/wanting to "do right by" Jimmy. if the Browns offered a first and a third at the deadline there's no way he turns that down just cause he's not a fan of the organization. odds are the Pats called the Browns but they were too busy loving up the McCarron paperwork

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Amy Pole Her posted:

Legendary meltdown deserves to live above all

Oh come on, hiking the Appalachian Trail was just as good a meltdown.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

lol I don't believe a word of that poo poo about "doing right by Jimmy"

That decision was 100% driven by the opportunity to get Hoyer back without affecting their compensatory pick.

indigi posted:

I can't imagine Belichick as a guy who'd pass up on value out of something as basic as who he likes more/wanting to "do right by" Jimmy. if the Browns offered a first and a third at the deadline there's no way he turns that down just cause he's not a fan of the organization. odds are the Pats called the Browns but they were too busy loving up the McCarron paperwork

Reminder that the Patriots got Hoyer out of the trade from SF on the down-low, basically with the understanding he'd be released and signed by the Patriots as their replacement backup. If he'd been included in the trade, as was originally part of the deal, it would have affected their comp picks in the 2018 draft. Hoyer is a player Belichick knows and someone they're comfortable with as a backup

e: for more info - https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/10/...ory-draft-picks

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 15, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh yeah, I forgot they were Cheaters

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Oh come on, hiking the Appalachian Trail was just as good a meltdown.

I enjoy "the Ravens have won the Super Bowl!" because it was after a rather meaningless regular season game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

indigi posted:

oh yeah, I forgot they were Cheaters

I wouldn't call it cheating; it's pretty savvy, but it's definitely a big reason they chose to trade with SF and not Cleveland

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Kalli posted:

Yeah, his methods are hilarious.

When he tries to motivate in public we get poo poo like the NO DAYS OFF chant at the Superbowl parade and jesus christ

Wilfork on how Belichick motivated him:

Literally scooby snacks.

Sounds like the definition of an abusive relationship to me, I guess. Stockholm Syndrome.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Grittybeard posted:

I enjoy "the Ravens have won the Super Bowl!" because it was after a rather meaningless regular season game.

Perfectly spherical breasts is one of my favorite goon posts

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Fancy-rear end Ho's "you listen here you son of a bitch" rant was probably my favorite

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fancy-rear end Ho's "you listen here you son of a bitch" rant was probably my favorite

I forget that one

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

I forget that one

Was it in response to the decade of spectacular failure post about the Giants?

It was responding to someone Kawalimusing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheChirurgeon posted:

That and Larch's post about JaMarcus and the Eagle are probably the greatest things ever posted in TFF.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

indigi posted:

I forget that one

Grittybeard posted:

Was it in response to the decade of spectacular failure post about the Giants?

It was responding to someone Kawalimusing.

Yeah, it was in response to someone saying the Giants had put together a "decade of spectacular failure" in like, 2010 I believe, which caused FAH to just tee off on the dude in the most hilarious fashion

Reminder that at the time, the prior decade for the Giants included two Super Bowl visits, one Super Bowl win, and 6 playoff berths

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

in fairness "spectacular failure" would imply dramatic implosions, not low-grade sustained misery, wouldn't it?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
dubdrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ap on ir

• Locked thread