Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Gamerofthegame posted:

Pulse can go either way, really.

Yeah, in my first month of the game I really liked playing Pulse for obvious reasons, and for the most part stayed anchored on objective and called out where the other team was approaching. After doing badly in a match a guy on the other team who was like level 150 or some poo poo started putting me on blast for "not even roaming" and I was like... oh, Pulse is a roamer?? Oh yeah he's 3 speed and can see through walls. I think something clicked then. But yeah, Pulse is definitely viable for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The whole point of the game is to find new ways to win by using the map/abilities in ways the other team won’t expect . Anybody who tells you that you need to play a certain way with an op is a stupid idiot and can be safely ignored

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

The Duggler posted:

The whole point of the game is to find new ways to win by using the map/abilities in ways the other team won’t expect . Anybody who tells you that you need to play a certain way with an op is a stupid idiot and can be safely ignored

Except in the case of Rook where the way you play is you put the goddamned armour on the ground jesus gently caress.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

PSA: please don't be a backseat gamer. it's infuriating when you're trying to play, and someone who has died is giving you constant orders or telling you exactly what to do. either shut the gently caress up, or give callouts. don't tell me where to go or what to do incessantly. i don't mind if it's a "you can blow a hole there and flank" piece of advice, but when it's "go there, do that, look behind you, stay there" it just makes me wanna quit playing with you.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
actually you'll find putting it outside surprises the enemy by forcing your entire team to rush them

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah that's what I'm saying. That random rear end in a top hat got me out of my anchor newbie phase and I started looking at every operator differently. No one expects Rook to run the entire length of the bottom floor of Plane to rotate behind and completely surprise them, but I didn't know enough about the entire game early on to do something like that where that decision comes a lot easier now. Also I don't want to imply anchoring is a newbie thing, it's a core part of the game. It took a bit of time to feel adventurous but if you're new to siege feel free to go H.A.M.

- I've never had anyone in my crew give orders from the grave, but they do start eating tortilla chips or talking to their dog or something when it's a 1 v 5 defuse clutch or kick situation god drat

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 15, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Q8ee posted:

but when it's "go there, do that, look behind you, stay there" it just makes me wanna quit playing with you.

I ended up grouping with someone who had only played the game for like 30 hours who just couldn't stop doing this sort of stuff, even when he's being told to be quiet because he's drowning out the footsteps of the very person he's incessantly telling us was "totally lit" that we just need to walk in and murder he'd just keep on going.

I've played with good goons who have been great about giving warnings to check certain directions if they think you might have missed something or just because that's where their intuition says attention should be paid, players that act as extra ears and eyes, but this kid was just motormouthed dunning-kruger incarnate. Trying to dictate to everyone what the team composition should be and justifying it by telling us about how he watched someone's youtube video that showed him what the good picks are, and trying to micromanage other very slightly lower level player's gadgets("nonono pick it up and stick it here, no wait here"). We stopped playing with him after that one.

Penpal posted:

That random rear end in a top hat got me out of my anchor newbie phase and I started looking at every operator differently. No one expects Rook to run the entire length of the bottom floor of Plane to rotate behind and completely surprise them, but I didn't know enough about the entire game early on to do something like that where that decision comes a lot easier now. Also I don't want to imply anchoring is a newbie thing, it's a core part of the game. It took a bit of time to feel adventurous but if you're new to siege feel free to go H.A.M.

The way to think about it is that each operator is variably viable in each situation, but almost never totally unviable. The 1 speed 3 armour slowpokes are the least good at a long roaming flank/ambush but that doesn't mean you rule it out, because sometimes it's the best option(or at least has the highest potential payoff) you have and not taking it means sitting there like a dumb loving rock and holding your corner/door/whatever despite there being nothing useful for you to do there and hoping your teammates can hold theirs without any help from you.

When in doubt, try to be an active participant in whatever is going on rather than waiting your turn.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

since we're having a good old bitch about it, another pet peeve of mine is people who consistently make bad callouts. it's a situation down to the wire, 1v1, you have no idea where the enemy is, then the guy blares out on discord "in the room, hard right! in the room hard right!" and you trust him cause why would he give you bad intel, go in the room, prefire right, and get shot from somewhere completely different.

like it's understandable to make bad callouts, poo poo happens, intel gets old. but to keep on giving bad callouts, and to sound so sure of yourself when giving it, makes dying such a pain cause if you'd just have trusted your gut, you'd have won the 1v1.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I prefer using cardinal directions because they're fixed, specifically so I'm not loving up someone's spatial awareness. But mainly what callouts I do make are when I see someone on a camera rather than yelling about stairs.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

I prefer using cardinal directions because they're fixed, specifically so I'm not loving up someone's spatial awareness. But mainly what callouts I do make are when I see someone on a camera rather than yelling about stairs.

I appreciate both tbh, cardinal directions are great for when you don't know specific rooms, but playing with more experienced guys has taught me specifics that make callouts a hell of a lot easier.

shoutout to the MVPs that I've played with: keyframe, jey and iceorb. they've spoilt my experience. white noise release feels, we played a solid amount of games when white noise went live.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Did anyone get double clancy bucks with the year 3 seasons pass? 2 x 600

Qubee
May 31, 2013

diapermeat posted:

Did anyone get double clancy bucks with the year 3 seasons pass? 2 x 600

yeah you get double if you're a y2 season pass holder IIRC

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Q8ee posted:

since we're having a good old bitch about it, another pet peeve of mine is people who consistently make bad callouts. it's a situation down to the wire, 1v1, you have no idea where the enemy is, then the guy blares out on discord "in the room, hard right! in the room hard right!" and you trust him cause why would he give you bad intel, go in the room, prefire right, and get shot from somewhere completely different.

like it's understandable to make bad callouts, poo poo happens, intel gets old. but to keep on giving bad callouts, and to sound so sure of yourself when giving it, makes dying such a pain cause if you'd just have trusted your gut, you'd have won the 1v1.

that's why I usually say "or at least, he was when he killed me" unless I'm certain the guy's still lingering around there. if you don't acknowledge or realize that intel ages, it's a bad callout, not just "poo poo happens"

honestly I think it's mostly baddies who try to backseat game instead of just making callouts and being helpful. I used to do it some when I was newer to the game, but now I would never tell someone what to do (unless I'm like, introducing them to the game). it's like some weird dunning-kruger thing, the better you are at the game, the less inclined you are to tell other people how to play it. plus everyone's got different playstyles they excel at so it's pointless to try and force people to do what you'd do anyway

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyCaringTardigradeDatBoi

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hard, i equipped a silencer on buck, why isnt my under barrel shotgun silenced as well? This seems like a critical oversight you should resolve ASAP.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Duggler posted:

this is exactly why i still play this game after all these hours. there's an incredible amount of freedom even though you aren't running or driving around for miles like in pubg or battlefield

so much stuff to try. you can get extremely ocd with your traps. you can hide in the most annoying place and ambush someone because the sound design loving owns. you can kill people with flashbangs while repelling upside down from the middle of the skylight.

and at its core, you can ignore all of that bullshit and focus on gunplay so long as you know which traps to avoid. even though we're reaching X-Men level variety in abilities you can still just shoot someone in the head for an insta-kill.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love that feeling when you have an epiphany mid-game and pull off some insane poo poo, like placing a trap somewhere ingenious or using an impact grenade to open a kill hole / escape route on the fly. I've been loving impact grenades lately. I'll blow a hole in a wall so it looks into a room, then move a room down and just wait to hear the enemy rappel inside, then I blow the 2nd wall and have direct line of sight on them without them even expecting it.

or going smoke and placing super tactical strategic barbed wire™ (patent pending) and then shove a smoke somewhere discreet and hard to see. then I lay down, look at some nudie mags, and wait to hear the enemies waddling through the wire. then I pop the smoke and laugh as they either run directly into my gunfire, or try and waddle the gently caress back out.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 15, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Ubisoft posted:

We want to make it clear to players that racism, hate speech, and harassment are not tolerated in Rainbow Six Siege, as outlined by our Code of Conduct, and will result in your account being banned. We are working on better ways for players to report this behavior, and improving monitoring tools to help manage this. Ultimately, our goal is, if you use racist or harassing speech in our game, you will not be allowed to play our game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rainbow6/comments/7k02ps/toxicity_reporting/

loving finally.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

just in time for the 8 black operators they're adding this year

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Q8ee posted:

I love that feeling when you have an epiphany mid-game and pull off some insane poo poo, like placing a trap somewhere ingenious or using an impact grenade to open a kill hole / escape route on the fly. I've been loving impact grenades lately. I'll blow a hole in a wall so it looks into a room, then move a room down and just wait to hear the enemy rappel inside, then I blow the 2nd wall and have direct line of sight on them without them even expecting it.

or going smoke and placing super tactical strategic barbed wire™ (patent pending) and then shove a smoke somewhere discreet and hard to see. then I lay down, look at some nudie mags, and wait to hear the enemies waddling through the wire. then I pop the smoke and laugh as they either run directly into my gunfire, or try and waddle the gently caress back out.

I like sprinting way out towards ingress points and putting a couple kapkan surprises on exterior doors and windows before running back to the bombs/hostage and trapping doors there.

I'm more likely to lose a gunfight than win one (got them Ozzy Osbourne reflexes) but I derive sick levels of cackling glee when someone hits a trap I set, especially if it's the fucker that shot me.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I will never stop trying to kill people through floors and ceilings, especially using explosives.
Nothing tops the feel of blasting a hatch with C4 and scoring a kill. Bonus points if they weren't even breaching, just walking above you.

Taking the floor from under people using Bucks masterkey is a close second.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kikas posted:

I will never stop trying to kill people through floors and ceilings, especially using explosives.
Nothing tops the feel of blasting a hatch with C4 and scoring a kill. Bonus points if they weren't even breaching, just walking above you.

Taking the floor from under people using Bucks masterkey is a close second.

don't forget placing breaching charges on wooden floors to shoot from above, it's sick. or planting the defuser, then breaching the floor beneath it, and then camping below it to shoot whoever tries to break it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

lohli posted:

Except in the case of Rook where the way you play is you put the goddamned armour on the ground jesus gently caress.

I've played in games where Rook puts the armor outside then murders all the enemies that come to get it :colbert:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've played in games where Rook puts the armor outside then murders all the enemies that come to get it :colbert:

I like playing as Papa Rook and placing the armour pack down, and then knifing it if my team has been naughty and don't deserve it. Seeing them all look down, look up, then look back down again is great, it's like spraying a puppy with a water bottle.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So I have a dumb question about DLC.

I have the game on Steam, with the first and second season pass bought from there. Can I activate the third season pass on Uplay? Or if I got the game on Steam I have to always get the DLC on Steam? I ask because the DLC is cheaper here in South America on Nuuvem than Steam, and that's an Uplay key.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I loving love Zofia's LMG holy poo poo

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Adnor posted:

So I have a dumb question about DLC.

I have the game on Steam, with the first and second season pass bought from there. Can I activate the third season pass on Uplay? Or if I got the game on Steam I have to always get the DLC on Steam? I ask because the DLC is cheaper here in South America on Nuuvem than Steam, and that's an Uplay key.

Yeah, I bought the Y2 pass on Nuuvem while having the game on Steam and it activated just fine.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you're playing a French operator and it isn't Shotgun Doc you're doing it wrong.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

doc is fun to roam with, especially with the shotgun lmao

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I loving love Zofia's LMG holy poo poo

hopefully they don't nerf it, that's how the SAW used to feel :allears:

its ridiculously op to spray like 50 rounds, poke around with the grenade or flash, then burst fire another 50 and switch again to the flashbang and then you still have 50 rounds of emergency poo poo left over

Thief fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 16, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you're playing a French operator and it isn't Shotgun Doc you're doing it wrong.

I can confirm this is the correct way to play Doc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
What's the science behind making the shotguns actually work, then?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

point in general direction of enemy and shoot, even if through a wall

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Most of the time when shotgunning I'm just sitting in the blind spots along likely paths and hope somebody walks past without looking properly. When it works, it works great:

http://i.imgur.com/FZ2vHP5.mp4

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

According to the database I'm #2095 in America, #6776 Globally. Sure doesn't feel like it some days.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Azran posted:

Yeah, I bought the Y2 pass on Nuuvem while having the game on Steam and it activated just fine.

Perfect, will get it on Nuuvem then, thanks!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

What's the science behind making the shotguns actually work, then?

ADS actually does make them more accurate.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Kikas posted:

ADS actually does make them more accurate.

marginally more accurate. it tightens up the spread, but if you're shooting past medium range, ADS or not won't stop the spread being abysmal. close up, it's way easier to just hip fire, ADS in close range makes it super easy to whiff your shots.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Q8ee posted:

marginally more accurate. it tightens up the spread, but if you're shooting past medium range, ADS or not won't stop the spread being abysmal. close up, it's way easier to just hip fire, ADS in close range makes it super easy to whiff your shots.

I think it varies from shotgun to shotgun, the Italian shotty is a lot more accurate when you aim with it. I am speaking from just my gunfeel, so maybe there's a spreadsheet somewhere that proves me wrong.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

this might sound like a joke but im dead rear end serious when i say that if you want a good example of how to play shotguns just watch the ending of Scarface where Pulse makes a cameo

Kikas posted:

I think it varies from shotgun to shotgun, the Italian shotty is a lot more accurate when you aim with it. I am speaking from just my gunfeel, so maybe there's a spreadsheet somewhere that proves me wrong.

ADS at mid range seems to help at least down ppl. at long range you need to just shoot back for minimal suppression so you can break the line of sight and close the gap before facing them again

the italian primary shotgun owns since the update btw

some have tighter spread and aren't great for opening walls beyond a killhole. these are the ones that are better for killing. the only exception to this is buck's skeleton key and the russian saiga

i'm at work so i can't really test this but a few pvp>utility shotguns off the top of my head are :poland: :japan: and cav's

Thief fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Battle NonSense video on R6 60hz tick rate update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvIyUxaF5pE

tl;dw: instead of variable tick rate, we now have a constant 60 hz tick rate for client/server. Updated is on top:

Improvements in ms. Thank you Hard (I don't know what they do but keep doing it)

• Locked thread