Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Klyith posted:

Well I'm with the youtube lawyer that says this will probably be settled out of court. The brilliant thing about it is that Crytek knows the one thing CIG/RSI can't take is discovery in an open court case. So they can really put the screws in and try for a bigger chunk of money than a normal out-of-court settlement would normally be in a case like this.

Dastardly, but running a scam with $175 million of other people's money is a great way to open yourself up to legal blackmail. It's not like they can go to a judge and request that all financial info gets sealed -- judge is gonna be like, "why can't you tell your 'investors' how their money got spent?"

Amazon doesn't figure at all in any of this, Amazon has no financial stake in Star Citizen and isn't responsible for CIG/RSI switching to Lumberyard when their contract said they had to use Cryengine.

“Your honor, your honor! Haha! Listen... the backers will never know.” :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

redchris05 posted:

+Asghaad "except that exactlly IS a start of development, you dont get to work on project and then just say it actually wasnt and delete year from the development time ... they started the project in 2011"- no, this was preliminary work that would usually take place while you were working on the preceding game. GTA 5 did the exact same thing while making GTA 4, which means you either add an arbitrary year to Star Citizen and an equivalent FIVE years to GTA 5, or you accept that choosing an engine is not actually part of developing the game you'll be using it for.That's what that was, by the way: Chris Roberts was simply choosing the engine he was going to use. I'm aware of nothing that was used from that concept, because it was literally purely to see if the engine could handle what he wanted to do with it." GTA 5 was started AFTER they finished GTA 4"- yes, immediately after, which means it started in April of 2008."because port is separate product ... unless game is developed for multiple systems AT THE SAME TIME "- which fits GTA 5 perfectly, because they built the entire game while considering that it was going to be on PC. Done."3.) nope"- why the gently caress are you numbering things? I didn't, which means your numbers have no reference point. You're not quoting the part that you're saying "nope" to, so you have no textual reference point either.No wonder you're struggling to steer clear of logical fallacies and hypocrisy..."the fact is that GTA 5 is a CONSOLE game that was later PORTED to function on PC... PC was NOT its target audience and the time it took to get it ported reflects that ... game was developed, finished and published on given system and AFTER the RELEASE of the game completely separate, small and underfunded team worked on PORTING - ie NOT developing anything - the FINISHED game for PC"- bullshit, according to Rockstar:"We were always going to bring GTA 5 to PC. We planned from day 1 for a PC build and we made technical decisions based off the fact that we would be doing a PC version of the game." - it's unclear, but this comes from either Phil Hooker, Adam Fowler, or Klass Shilstra. Then there's the fact that they were leaking DX11 bug lists well before it was released on Ps3, proving that you are wrong about the PC version being a port that only began after the console versions were released. These pre-date the PS3 release by a year.Kevin Hoare, President of Rockstar Toronto, said" early development [of the PC version] was done in parallel with the console versions". So, in short, the PC version was started alongside the PS3 and X360 versions, so it WAS in development in 2008. He also pointed out that " In fact, some of the early preparations we made for PC, like 64 bit & DX11 support, paid off very handsomely when the PS4 and Xbox One architectures were announced".But, I'm sure a fuckwitted little pussy like you knows more about the development of GTA 5 than the people who worked on it, right...?Owned, bitch."fine, let it be 118 milion, ill take your 137 mil for GTA5 over 260 mil i wrote any day xD didnt hel your cause much"- it didn't have to. I'm not the one making up fictitious data to help support my collapsing assertions. I'm happy to have accurate information, whereas you are only happy if information supports your bullshit.What that has done is highlight me as honest, and highlight you as inherently dishonest." if GTA5 could be RELEASED in 4 years from the development start "- so where was the PC release in 2012? Oh, and why are you now trying to chop off a few extra months? Feeling insecure about Squadron 42 being slated for release in the next six months...?GTA 5 took over six years to develop and release on PC. That's your benchmark, whether you like it or not. Rockstar developers and producers are quoted here as stating that the development of the PC version coincided with the PS3 version, which means it began in 2008. You have no valid response to that, so don't even bother replying with anything other than outright, unconditional acceptance. Rockstar themselves have told you that you are wrong - end of argument."SC so far have released only separate bits of pre-alpha proof of concept"- if that's how you classify the current build then I am perfectly entitled to classify GTA 3 as a "pre-alpha proof of concept"[sic] for GTA 5."to test an alpha stage of the game you have to actuall have a whole package of BASIC features in sayd game
"- says who? Only you, by the looks of things:"An alpha test is a preliminary software field test carried out by a team of users in order to find bugs that were not found previously through other tests. The main purpose of alpha testing is to refine the software product by finding (and fixing) the bugs that were not discovered through previous tests. "- found here:https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5935/alpha-testIn fact, since testing by potential users is usually referred to as beta-testing, the current system is a lot more like a conventional beta than an alpha.It's in alpha, and has been for several years. That is not open for debate just because you want to redefine "alpha" in order to discriminatorily exclude Star Citizen. That's all you're doing: trying to change the meaning of "alpha" so that you can force Star Citizen out of the actual definition. You're pulling another bait-and-switch."if you didnt notice i didnt include any story elements or any part of sq.42 as requirement for the alpha because that woudl be closer to beta material"- progression is a BASIC feature, which means your own rules are internally inconsistent. They are self-contradictory. What a loving retard!"once they merge them and actually include the persistent universe with flight, combat and shooter modules TOGETHER "- the original game was NEVER slated to feature a Persistent Universe, so that one can be omitted entirely. However, the current build does feature flight, combat and shooter modules all rolled into one seamless experience - just as they were supposed to. There was never going to be any distinction between these playstyles, so your tacit demand that Star Marine be included are rejected as fallacious.By your own standards, the current build is an alpha build, you loving moron.You can't win even when you're trying to stack the deck against it. All you've done it drop your cards onto the floor..." there is NO justification for insults in debate, never was, never will ... grow up kid, only irrational juveniles have to resort to raging and insults ..."- you insulted me three times within that one sentence, in which you stated that there was "No justification for insults in debate"[sic]. loving hypocrite.Incidentally, this is not, nor has it ever been, a debate. This is a case of an ignorant, lying little poo poo (you) repeatedly trying to fudge the numbers in order to attack something that he simply doesn't like. This is a case of a pathetic little oval office (you again) hiding behind anonymity to rabidly scream about something that he clearly has no real experience of, consisting entirely of made-up "facts" and fictional "evidence".I'm stating facts, while you soothe yourself with fairy tales."except RSI themselves promissed to release SQ42 THIS YEAR ( well first episode that is...) so theyr alloted time is less than six months "- GTA was slated to release in 2012, so by your logic it never came out at all.It's pencilled in for release this year. That's called a "projected" release date. By your own standards, they have at least as long to finish as Rockstar did, which gives them six years and three months, which began no earlier than October 2012. Their allotted finish date can be no later than April 2019, if we give them the same amount of time. Not that you're willing to give them the same amount of time, for some reason..."by that time the engine they use will be DATED and archaic "- the original CryEngine 3, maybe, but not the so-called StarEngine. Name me another engine that can support persistence and 64-bit precision over a comparable map size. Name me five games that'll release in that time that have a scope that'll come close to matching that of this game. I can think of maybe two, and neither of them can match the CURRENT mechanics and features, like seamless multi-crew gameplay and EVA. As it stands, no extant engine has been used to do anything comparable to what we can do right now in the ALPHA. "Archaic", my arse.You know gently caress all. The fact that so much of your assertion is based on demonstrable falsehoods is all I need to reject your bullshit outright. If you don't address those in-house Rockstar statements then I'm just going to paste this comment all over your profile pages, because they instantly refute everything you have claimed. Refusal to address them will be proof that you are doing nothing more than manipulating the data until it says what you always wanted it to say but that it never did.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Section 2.14.e of the GLA states that Crytek is responsible for implementing and maintaining gravity goo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I just realized something because I’m slow.

In maybe a relatively short time, refunds will no longer be a thing. SC will stop. The grey market fun will be gone because nothing is left.

There will only be a short run fun of watching people with $$$$’s into this thing miss the refund train. There will be many “we tried to warn you!”’s and laughs.

But... it may be ending. This may actually be the final few months or so of Star Citizen. I’ve had years of entertainment from CR’s atrocious management. It’s all going away, like refunds in the wind. :911:

:same:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

But... it may be ending. This may actually be the final few months or so of Star Citizen. I’ve had years of entertainment from CR’s atrocious management. It’s all going away, like refunds in the wind. :911:

And since the god of Love has you bestowed

in a place fitting for your worthiness,

stand fast, since to a good port you have rowed:

and for yourself, despite your heaviness,

always hope on: for unless dreariness

or over-haste, ill-luck to our two labours send,

I hope of this to make a good end.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Classic.

"Hey Jim, what do we do when we use up all 32 bits of the server_timestamp variable?"

"Oh that's no problem, just change it from int32 to int64. Have a look in c:\GameDev\CryEngine\Code\CryEngine\CryCommon\ServerClock.cpp and... actually wait. Never mind, just mark the story as blocked and help Josh with doors, I'll explain later."

unsigned ints are the worst :grin:

----------------

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how the default thought is that amazon will somehow help them and not wait for CIGs corpse to be nice and bloated before it comes in and picks it to pieces to salvage what little talent they had into their own ecosystem

This is just because they are against CIG using their money to defend themselves, so their imagination goes into overdrive to find someone who will do it for free, as they would happily do so themselves. (Just like the actors, imaginarium, and other companies give CIG freebies all the time)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/14/16776300/crytek-star-citizen-lawsuit-cig-rsi

Hold my beer, I got this...

http://www.dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

----------------

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

You know what I just realized that's kind of funny?

At this point I think /refunds (which I have explicitly told journalists is not an archive) has served as the basis for more articles on major gaming sites than /r/ds (which desperately wanted to be used as a source for journalizm).

That may be related to one place being full of lies and the other not. Maybe? I am not an expert at journalism development.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Dusty Lens posted:

Man when you put it that way it sounds like CIG's legal defense is Toast.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

...still haven't seen any lawsuits. Whatevs.

edit: I'm not Toast.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Don't worry guys, the shills have pushed any posts about the court case far down the front page so they can enjoy the dreams without interruption

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

What does god need with a limited edition Porsche?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Baxta posted:

Don't worry guys, the shills have pushed any posts about the court case far down the front page so they can enjoy the dreams without interruption

Oh finally. I was getting quite concerned, you see.

----------------

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LOL!!

----------------

cupitor
Oct 13, 2016

D_Smart posted:

He is literally insane. Everything he said, is pure bullshit.

I am trying to get him to debate me in the upcoming interview stream. I hope he accepts.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941452720116027393

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/941453511384092672

He'll never go for that since he is way too far up the behinds of Crobbers and Sandi.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Where is toast to tell us why this is good for Star Citizen?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Mirificus posted:

James Y. Pak Counsel, Intellectual Property Litigation

James Y. Pak focuses his practice on litigating intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation.

Kevin J. Minnick Counsel, Litigation

Kevin Minnick's practice focuses on large-scale class action defense, primarily involving consumer protection and securities laws. He also has represented clients in qui tam, patent and appellate matters.

P. Anthony Sammi Partner, Intellectual Property Litigation

P. Anthony Sammi is head of the Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He litigates complex, high-profile IP cases at the trial and appellate levels.

Interns, juniors, new hires, short term contractors, janitors sneakily coding at midnight. These are the go to excuses of cultists in any situation, no matter how absurd.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

PhallicPhalanges posted:

He's manning the cannons of Old Ironsides

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So given that CIG went all "This allegations are false and we'll fight it all the way" how will their cultist take it if they settle out of court? Its the most logical decision, but how will take CIG admitting that they hosed up majorly

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Sectopod posted:

Did anybody say "Crytek just applied for a refund." yet?

Made this last night and forgot lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drunk Theory posted:

So that's why development has only started yesterday. loving time has been running backwards.

Close, but you didn’t go back to the future far enough. The network team recently discovered that they don’t have the structure for an MMO. So they have not actually begun yet.

And with the way things are going, they probably never will. :grin:

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

PhallicPhalanges posted:

Hes watching season 3 of Suits to prepare for court.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Titanic posted:

I just realized something because I’m slow.

In maybe a relatively short time, refunds will no longer be a thing. SC will stop. The grey market fun will be gone because nothing is left.

There will only be a short run fun of watching people with $$$$’s into this thing miss the refund train. There will be many “we tried to warn you!”’s and laughs.

Many times goon lives and dies
Between his two eternities,
That of thread and that of spite,
And ancient Derek Smart was right.
Whether goon dies in his bed
Or the laughing knocks him dead,
A brief parting from those dear
Is the worst we have to fear.
Though archive-readers' toil is long,
Sharp their clicks, their eyes are strong,
They but thrust our buried 5s
Back in the human mind alive.

Under bare Ben Lesnick's fat
In Drumcliff churchyard Crobbler is laid,
An ancestor was rector there
Long years ago; a church stands near,
By the road a Pilgrim's Cross.
No marble, no conventional phrase,
On limestone quarried near the spot
By his command these words are cut:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

^ proof that Star Citizen started development in 2012 you lose goonies.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dusty Lens posted:

^ proof that Star Citizen started development in 2012 you lose goonies.

Hasn't their revisionist history bumped that one up to 2015 or such now?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

I cant wait for him to belt out a defense in court.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

overseer07 posted:

Hey Beet. When this is all over and CIG is gone, and Chris is getting parped in the prison shower, and Ortwin is hanging in his closet, and Sandi is remarried to Richard Garriott and running marketing for SoTA: Can you make sure this is the last post in the Star Citizen thread?:

:lol:

Perfect.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Who's the guy on the left? He's good. Unlike the dialogue.

Sandi is really outstandingly terrible.

The problem with these mocap scenes is that the actors are constantly grimacing and wriggling their eyebrows (except for Botox queen :sandance:)

Nov 24, 2014

Don't worry guys Crytek is just about bankrupt anyway...

:ironicat:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CrazyLoon posted:

Hasn't their revisionist history bumped that one up to 2015 or such now?

Yep, Supposedly only the kickstarter planning happened in 2012.

Despite CRoberts claiming development started in 2011 before.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

AP posted:

This goes to the heart of what has happened to all the money in my view.

Chris Roberts couldn't have built the demo without Crytek, on kickstarter launch day CIG's (subcontractor, built) website crashed, so CIG switched subcontractors to Turbulent. This is a pattern that repeats, there are so many ex-subcontractors, Turbulent are understandably a lot harder to ditch now than normal.

Turbulent - Web platform, Spectrum, store, sales - Montreal, Canada

Behaviour Interactive - Concept art, Ships, 890 Jump, x85, mobiGlas, hangar flair - Montreal, Canada

CGBot - Artwork - Mexico Probable source of the leak from 2013

IllFonic - FPS module/1st unfinished version of Star Marine - Denver

Moon Collider - Kythera Artificial Intelligence middleware - Scotland

Rmory - weapon concept art - Bavaria, Germany

The Imaginarium - 63+ day Failed motion capture shoot - London

Wyrmbyte - Network engineering, Universe, Servers - Louisville Colorado

Virtuos - Ships, 1st version of the Cutlass, props - Shanghai, China

RedHotCG - props - Shanghai, China

voidALPHA - environment & concept art - Emeryville, California

Not even sure this covers all the ones we know about (faceware, Side for casting etc), never mind the ones that were never made public. Now consider that Chris Roberts doesn't seem able to do much himself, so he hires people, after a while the relationship normally ends. It now appears, the relationship sometimes ends very badly :gary:

good lord what a mess

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

That has to be a troll. I refuse to believe otherwise. Like, seriously.

You can’t handle the obvious fact that businesses engage in contractual agreements just as jokes? It’s like mercantile foreplay. You need to warm them up with a contract, and then you can slip in some regulations that you can all just laugh off later. :)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Crobby! We gotta go back! Back to before the "engine switch!" Something's gotta be done about your lawsuits!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

The Titanic posted:

You can’t handle the obvious fact that businesses engage in contractual agreements just as jokes? It’s like mercantile foreplay. You need to warm them up with a contract, and then you can slip in some regulations that you can all just laugh off later. :)

You need consideration on both sides to lube the deal, though.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

The whole truth will be known when Kerri-Lee interviews Ben Lesnick.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

mjotto posted:

Even that is not going to happen. The only people who believe that CIG actually is worth anything are those idiotic backers still refusing to see that our one and only lord and saviour was right. Nobody at Amazon gives a gentle caress about Star Citizen.

I agree. I’m pretty sure, outside of apparently some freelance artists, there is nobody out there waiting to snap up “the programming geniuses of CIG.”

Being able to convert 6 years of development and basically unlimited funding into a barely functional tech demo that isn’t even a vertical slice... does not make you a highly sought for resource. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

You need consideration on both sides to lube the deal, though.

Yeah sometimes you need to grease their palms before getting into bed with them on a really big deal, too. But it’s probably ok because there’s a morning after litigation always handy if you’re feeling taken advantage of like CryTek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

AlbieQuirky posted:

Who's the guy on the left? He's good. Unlike the dialogue.

Mark Strong.