Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Seashell Salesman posted:

That sounds really lame :(

It's ok, it's not like vanilla melee combat is all that great. You can always do that ninja katana block thing where your hands are close to your face if you really want. It's not ideal that you pretty much need to play with pistols to have the best experience, but that's what I'm doing and it's fantastic. My 10mm from the beginning of the game has served me well.

edit: oh poo poo I just realized, I really love that gun. like, I love it like people probably love their irl guns. we have been through some poo poo, me and that 10mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

The Walrus posted:

It's ok, it's not like vanilla melee combat is all that great.

This is true but it was an opportunity to make it suck less and it sounds like they blew it. For swinging you can at least angle it however you want and there's hit detection right?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is true but it was an opportunity to make it suck less and it sounds like they blew it. For swinging you can at least angle it however you want and there's hit detection right?

I'm actually not sure if they react to getting hit in the leg or whatever as opposed to their body (I'll check this later), but yeah, you swing stuff at bad guys and they get hurt when you hit them. the really cool thing is it works for guns too, so while I probably didn't pistol whip once in pancake, in VR I'm always hitting a guy with the butt of my gun to finish him off because it's just instinct. that dude is there, I can hit him.

there's an awful lot that's really rudimentary, it's more than made up for by the potential of the emergent gameplay of fallout given an actual physicality. crawling around or taking cover or kobeing a grenade banked around a corner is just made so much better by the motion controls.

edit: oh I totally forgot dancing along to the 50s songs while you murder people. you gotta get weird with this game.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 15, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dehry posted:

Do the Microsoft VR headsets have trouble with using a large TV as a display instead of a monitor? I feel like I have a lot less room than when using the PSVR and the setup required me pointing at the TV when setting boundaries.

The Microsoft headsets don't care where you're looking when you set them up, when I was doing it it only wanted the headset to be mostly level (i.e. not looking at ceiling/floor), it didn't care about seeing your display or whether there even was one.

Edit: I have no idea how your PSVR would even know if you were pointing at the TV either. I though it only cares about the PS Eye placement.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

By far my best moments with FO4VR was shooting. You gotta go gunslinger build as everything else is a bit dodgy (2H guns, melee, scopes, etc) but the fun you can have with just pistols is pretty great.

Another half assed thing mods will need to fix is adjusting perks for VR. A lot of them don't really apply to the VR mechanics or apply in a way that isn't obvious, but with adjustments there could be a lot of fun in them.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo, Lone Echo was soooo good. The first VR title that felt like a complete game and that i couldn't put down until i finished it (sans breaks, sleeping, working, etc) and the faces were so well done. I hope they make a sequel, lots of plot there that could be explored still. Also i'm thankful that Captain Rhodes waited until the later part of the game before she started brushing my hand away from her bum.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Am I using VATS correctly in FO4VR? My understanding was you could move around and plug slugs into the enemies skull for a certain duration/until your meter runs out, but as it stands it turns into a flickery mess when I try to aim for something on someone, and I can't move at all.

Also I think I'm an idiot and can't figure out how to mark waypoints on my map or fast travel.

Loving it otherwise though!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
left trigger teleports you in vats. though imo that's overpowered if you have any PER so I don't use it. it can be a bit difficult to hit a specific body part at range. for whatever reason the torso is hardest in those cases, probably they overcompensated with too much stickiness on smaller parts. waypoints and fast travel is pressing in on the middle of the trackpad. the pipboy controls involving the map are so dumb, needing to alternate between trigger and touchpad to select

best part about vats is that only shooting and moving uses AP, so you can stay in slow mo as long as you want if cool stuff is happening. I tossed a grenade in a bar and got an amazing airborne ballet of bodies. I went back to try to recreate it for a video (I couldn't) and realized that Fallout 4 VR is basically the Westworld of 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grSJSpd3yUU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
You're thinking of Wurstworld. Wurstworld was the Westworld of 2017.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

The Microsoft headsets don't care where you're looking when you set them up, when I was doing it it only wanted the headset to be mostly level (i.e. not looking at ceiling/floor), it didn't care about seeing your display or whether there even was one.

Edit: I have no idea how your PSVR would even know if you were pointing at the TV either. I though it only cares about the PS Eye placement.

Alright. I wasn't sure if it wanted to use the monitor as a tracking point like the PSVR in reverse.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

The Walrus posted:

left trigger teleports you in vats. though imo that's overpowered if you have any PER so I don't use it.

Does it not work if I'm using smooth locomotion? Cause that's what I use and left trigger didn't seem to do much during VAT time. I agree though it is probably overpowered so if that's a limitation of me using smooth movement then I'll take it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Having never played in 2D, Talos Principle VR is a treat.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Thoughts on FO4VR as an Oculus user: You gotta have that high jank-tolerance. If you don't, then don't go anywhere near it until a few more months have passed and hopefully people will have ironed out the worst of the issues. I'm running it on an i7, GeForce 970GTX. The game definitely struggles in spots but for the most part is playable.

Even running the menu and deadzone fix which is super invaluable if you're a Rift user, the interface is an absolute crapshoot. It's one you can adjust to eventually, but expect to be feeling dirty about it the entire time. It gets to the point that I dread looting a cool new thing because it'd mean wrestling with the pipboy for a while. I actually really like having the pipboy be a physical item on your arm you can examine, but with the controls being the way they are it feels like a giant parasite, waiting to suck the joy out of your game session.

Visually it's a mixed bag but that's down to my 970 being too weak to really do much supersampling on, if any. If you're playing with TAA on your character is completely myopic as soon as you get outdoors and it's awful so your first step is to immediately turn that off, then get used to jaggies everywhere if you can't supersample. There's a bunch of other little graphical issues that I'm capable of ignoring but I'm sure it's a huge dealbreaker for most people - aberrations with textures, very noticeable object culling at your periphery, so on.

Then you have to deal with the fact that this is Fallout 4 and the beginning is utter garbo so you'll need to tolerate that for a bit, and when you're done and dusted with Concord and finally in the game: Man, is it real loving cool to be part of that world. I enjoyed Fallout 4 enough when it came out, clocking in around 103 hours according to STEAM which is small fry for a lot of people with Bethesda games, and a lot of that time was me building my Barbie Dreamhouse with a bunch of mods, so I never really did much exploring or combat - I just pissed about building up my settlement instead. I'm probably not in the minority when I say I consider FO4 to be Bethesda's weakest post-Morrowind game.

But in VR, actually having the world there, to scale, and completely enveloping you feels crazy, and this is coming from someone who's spent most of this year playing in VR so this doesn't come from naivety. It's mostly due to the fact that the world design obviously has some production values behind it and despite all the faff with the graphical issues, it can be genuinely beautiful and immersive to be rummaging through bombed-out houses or creeping through dark bunkers with a machete in your hand, stalking raiders. I can't imagine how much this feeling would really be hammered home if they had just taken the time to put some effort into giving your character presence - hands, a reflection, full body awareness, anything. Gunfights feel genuinely thrilling if you have the difficulty ramped up, as physically taking cover and being able to do VR exclusive manuvers like blindfiring, corner shooting and having a granular stance alleviates a lot of the stiffness of the flatscreen version.

I've mentioned melee a few times and for good reason: It's incredibly fun in VR. As others have mentioned, you can even pistol whip if desired and it can really come in handy. Going apeshit with a machete and carving up a bunch of raiders, heads and limbs flying everywhere, feels amazing because you're performing all the swings and ridiculous moves. On the flatscreen I basically only ever kept one melee weapon on me as an extreme backup weapon, but in VR I'm bullrushing dudes or getting my sneak on so I can hack them up and feel like a complete monster.

A few other things: You can pick up items with your magical levitating hands and put them down, just like you can in the flatscreen version, only it's much easier in VR to place a bunch of things together thanks to the 3D and motion controls. You won't be picking things up physically, you just have to hold the "get" button over the object for a while to make it levitate away.

Getting shot at with a Fat Man without knowing where it came from is utterly terrifying and was easily one of my favourite moments, especially when one went stray and blew up a car making a double nuclear explosion a few meters from me.

Talking to people is about as tedious and uninteresting as ever but that's Fallout 4's fault, not the VR. The silver lining is that you can walk around making rude gestures at them in real life or climb up inside them like a horrible xenomorph. I do have to give super props to Dogmeat though as having that adorable little bastard be right there and in 3D makes me smile every time oh god he's so sweet.

There's a really, really weird thing going on with the nighttime skybox where the stars are clearly a dome of particles which are extremely close to you at all times. We're talking just above tree height. If you turn TAA off it's utterly distracting because it's at least 150% more noticeable. It actually gives me a vague sense of cosmic horror because it'll creep up on you when you're getting immersed and it feels wrong every time you look at it.

I can absolutely see myself spending some real time with the game but mostly it makes me wish they took the time to really, really nail it. An open world game like this is perfect for VR and when the bits of it that work well actually click then I find myself enjoying far more than I ever did the flatscreen version, but you'll need to be capable of accepting way more jank than is reasonably expected to get there. I'll keep playing and looking for fixes and updates, but having something official would be great.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Songbearer posted:

I can't imagine how much this feeling would really be hammered home if they had just taken the time to put some effort into giving your character presence - hands, a reflection, full body awareness, anything.

You won't be picking things up physically, you just have to hold the "get" button over the object for a while to make it levitate away.

So you're saying this VR port was the barest of minimums?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Songbearer that was a great write up much appreciated. It also cements my decisions to not purchase this at full price, and to wait until it’s had some polish put into it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Hellsau posted:

So you're saying this VR port was the barest of minimums?

Yeah I won't beat around the bush, if you're expecting all the joys of something like H3VR with comprehensive physics interactions, or even baseline VR physicality you're used to, you're not going to find it here. When people say it's like FO4 with a different control scheme, they're not exaggerating. It could be because the team who worked on the VR weren't experienced enough to overhaul the interactions, but I'm willing to be a bit more charitable and say that in order to get those systems in place it would've taken several more years and a much higher budget to make it all work out. The VR version absolutely has high points (combat, atmosphere, content) to recommend, but controls and physicality (outside of combat) aren't on that list.

Waiting for it to drop in price and for the community to inevitably fix or at least paper over the cracks (As per Bethesda tradition) is completely the right choice for the normal, sane consumer. I'll give people the same advice that I gave them once I had bought the Rift for its original pricepoint at the end of last year: If you look at it and know no matter what that you absolutely must experience it, by all means go ahead, but if you have any doubts at all - price point, longevity, performance - wait. It'll still be around when you want it, cheaper, and probably much better.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 15, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Songbearer posted:

Yeah I won't beat around the bush, if you're expecting all the joys of something like H3VR with comprehensive physics interactions, or even baseline VR physicality you're used to, you're not going to find it here. When people say it's like FO4 with a different control scheme, they're not exaggerating. It could be because the team who worked on the VR weren't experienced enough to overhaul the interactions, but I'm willing to be a bit more charitable and say that in order to get those systems in place it would've taken several more years and a much higher budget to make it all work out. The VR version absolutely has high points (combat, atmosphere, content) to recommend, but controls and physicality (outside of combat) aren't on that list.

Waiting for it to drop in price and for the community to inevitably fix or at least paper over the cracks (As per Bethesda tradition) is completely the right choice for the normal, sane consumer. I'll give people the same advice that I gave them once I had bought the Rift for its original pricepoint at the end of last year: If you look at it and know no matter what that you absolutely must experience it, by all means go ahead, but if you have any doubts at all - price point, longevity, performance - wait. It'll still be around when you want it, cheaper, and probably much better.

Yeah eventually someone will post "Hey some guy made a mod that unfucks this game totally, holy poo poo" and its going to be a lot of fun. The meat is there and even with it being a bit of a shovel port, it has a poo poo ton of potential. If it wasnt for all the menu issues rift side, I think I'd still be playing it. I wouldn't be happy at 59.99 but I got my key for 25 from a goon and for that, If it wasnt so broken for a rift user, I'd be ok with it. I just cant recommend it at 59.99 even to vive users. I'm also not a huge fallout fan in general. So theres zero "OMG FALLOUT" behind the way I look at the game, so theres that.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 15, 2017

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

When people say to opt out of the "SteamVR beta" do they mean the SteamVR Home beta? That is the only such option I see in Steam VR settings.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm really tempted to get FO4 VR but it's abundantly clear they didn't put $60/unit worth of effort into the thing. What a shame.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

When people say to opt out of the "SteamVR beta" do they mean the SteamVR Home beta? That is the only such option I see in Steam VR settings.

No, you right click steam vr in the steam library and go to properties and there's a tab there where you can opt in or out of betas

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

GutBomb posted:

No, you right click steam vr in the steam library and go to properties and there's a tab there where you can opt in or out of betas

Ahah! Thanks, seems like by default I'm opted out of the beta anyhow.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

I'm really tempted to get FO4 VR but it's abundantly clear they didn't put $60/unit worth of effort into the thing. What a shame.

Same here. I could deal with the Rift jank but I just can’t pay a company 60 bucks for a product they half assed. What is frustrating is that they will probably look at the sales if they are poor and think that it isn’t worth it to put time into VR because the sales aren’t there when in fact they are loving it up for everyone by putting out turd covered gems.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone played the new The Unspoken single player chapter yet?? Came out yesterday.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If someone wanted to buy one of the Serious SAM VR games, which would be best?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If someone wanted to buy one of the Serious SAM VR games, which would be best?

do you want a great wave shooter or a great arena shooter? last hope or 3.

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
I'm looking for a highly interactive singleplayer shooter/action game. Holsters, manual reloading, the works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Theodyn posted:

I'm looking for a highly interactive singleplayer shooter/action game. Holsters, manual reloading, the works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, pick your poison. There are single player games with campaigns, there are muliplayer games with single player horde type wave modes, however all the games I can think of off the top of my head with full manual reloading and that are the multiplayer games, onward, pavlov, bam. H3VR is very interactive with the weapons and has some single player modes, but none of them have anything approaching like, a proper single player game experience.

Some of the single player games like killing floor incursion, Arktika.1 or even FO4 have guns, but none of them have full manual reloading. They all either press a button, or do a flicking motion or something. Those games do however have full campaigns to play through.

Theres realllly nothing that fills that niche yet however, your best bet might be to look into arktika.1 however? If you don't mind the teleportation movement, its got a full campaign, beautiful visuals, lots of different guns with upgrades and attachments, and some solid feeling out of them. However, like I said they all reload by flicking certain ways, and its only pistols in the game, no 2 handed weapons.

EDIT: I forgot about Arizona sunshine, thats another game with a single player campaign and different weapons, again through, no full manual reloading.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 15, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm kinda falling out of love with Last Hope. That game really is like my favorite wave shooter in VR by far (and I keep going back to it so it can't be that bad) but at higher difficulties the game just seems to fall apart and become a mess. The sword is so incredibly overpowered but at the same time in any mode where it's available you basically have to use it if you feel like winning. Then a bunch of other weapons feel useless by comparison. Especially the bow, which feels super cool so it's a shame that it's trash. Arena/wave mode feels a lot like "is a giant wave of tiny dudes going to spawn a mile away from you. If so, burn a power up or just lose." Because you don't have time to sit there and snipe individual zombies but you have to kill them if you don't feel like being under a barrage of a billion bullets coming your way. It also feels like if you ever have to use the shield, you're probably losing because you're not putting out enough damage to keep up with the waves.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Theodyn posted:

Raw Data has a pistol guy that reloads by pulling and loading a clip from your left holster into your right hand.
Killing Floor Incursion you're literally covered in holsters; grenade holsters on legs, back holsters for shotgun/swords, tac light on chest, pistols from your arm pits. Reload is just timed however. The interacivity in it is pretty good, you really need to plan on what your two hands will be doing. Grenades need to have their pin pulled which takes two hands, shotguns can be spun or pump reloaded faster but that takes two hands, using one hand to hold your tac light can be useful as well.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 15, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Courtesy of some dude on reddit:

quote:

L;DR keep taa on and add this to your Fallout4Custom.ini in ...Documents/My Games/Fallout4 VR:

[Display]
fTAAPostSharpen=0.675
fTAASharpen=1.0000
fTAAHighFreq=0.8000
fTAALowFreq=0.5000
fTAAPostOverlay=0.675

Comparison: https://imgur.com/a/7Hhk9

I was using SteamVR SS 1.5 for most of these pictures, but that's a comparison between taa default, off, sharpen values at 0.65, 0.7, and 0.65 with SteamVR SS 1.0

Anything over 0.7 doesn't look great. Lower than 0.6 and it gets pretty blurry. Setting a different SS may make this range change. The Freq values seemed to have made everything vibrate back and forth with the aliasing more. The fTAASharpen value didn't do much. I just included all of the taa parameters in case you were curious. You can also just type "taa" in console to see what your settings are currently.

I'm getting reprojection no matter what I do (these pictures are with the distance/shadow/texture changes from the megathread), but because of the taa changes I can make it look good with a lower SteamVR SS/better performance (I got lower reprojection % with lower SS but similar visuals).

If you want to change the sharpening values to test on the fly while in game, after enabling the console (with '~') do:

(same number is best, these values are the default TAA)

taa po 0.21
taa ps 0.21

I commented about this in a few posts, but I'm making it its own, and maybe the "megathreads" will see and add this in too. Thanks to /u/Ash_Enshugar for providing the different parameters, /u/blinkVR for testing some values and /u/bzkormah for noting that you can change these values on the fly in the console. Adding /u/freebowjobs in case you wanted to try it out performance-wise to see if it's worthy for your thread. Added all of you here to see and try it out.

No BS, it works. Aliasing is marginally worse, but not to the point of distraction and holy poo poo I can actually see what I'm loving aiming at. It's a huge improvement even at 1.0x resolution.

In addition there's this mod for HRTF which works just fine with the VR version and massively improves audio. It's not perfect, you can hear people through walls clearly and I don't think it takes the vertical axis into account but it's still way better than the flat sounding audio in the unmodded game.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SwissCM posted:

Courtesy of some dude on reddit:

No BS, it works. Aliasing is marginally worse, but not to the point of distraction and holy poo poo I can actually see what I'm loving aiming at. It's a huge improvement even at 1.0x resolution.

In addition there's this mod for HRTF which works just fine with the VR version and massively improves audio. It's not perfect, you can hear people through walls clearly and I don't think it takes the vertical axis into account but it's still way better than the flat sounding audio in the unmodded game.

Do I need to change anything if I'm doing 2.0 supersampling? I just DLd FO4 VR this morning and started playing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

veiled boner fuel posted:

Do I need to change anything if I'm doing 2.0 supersampling? I just DLd FO4 VR this morning and started playing.

I think this is where that comes from and the guy covers supersampling options: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7jkk8g/permafix_for_fallout_vr_fps_issues_ugly_taa_and/

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
GORN updated adding special caestus, wolverine claws, a baseball bat and a quarterstaff. Excited to try it tonight!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Songbearer posted:

GORN updated adding special caestus, wolverine claws, a baseball bat and a quarterstaff. Excited to try it tonight!

It doesn't include the new party mode multiplayer, though, right? The 4-player battle-royale mode is still experimental only?

Claws in action:
https://giphy.com/gifs/3o6nUMiuwgDgfYdzTG/html5

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 15, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

GlyphGryph posted:

It doesn't include the new party mode multiplayer, though, right? The 4-player battle-royale mode is still experimental only?

The update blurb states otherwise:

quote:

In the last update, we introduced local multiplayer as an undocumented extra feature for custom modes. Following up on feedback, we've taken that and polished it into a local multiplayer Party Mode!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh cool! I thought that wasn't coming until next month at least. Yay!

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Have Free Lives given any indication as to how much they intend to put in the game before it leaves EA? Just curious.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Gorn update video for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfmuJ2H6U3Q

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
LA Noire VR is out on Steam. Reviews say that Rift headsets not supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
loving ultralol at VR "exclusives", yeah let me just buy ANOTHER 900 euro VR headset to play janky piss-titles such as Fallout 4 VR and LA Noire VR. I hope both companies give up this exclusive stuff eventually.