Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Memento posted:

I think they're still bringing in a couple of million a month.

The "real estate" they sold recently would have helped that.

I don't know a ton about Star Citizen but when I was tricked out of my money it was a one time thing, it's not like signing up for patreon or a monthly subscription. How is star citizen bringing in that much money per month?? Are they just inventing more and more virtual goods to pre-sell people and people keep buying them despite nothing they bought years ago looks close to being delivered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know a ton about Star Citizen but when I was tricked out of my money it was a one time thing, it's not like signing up for patreon or a monthly subscription. How is star citizen bringing in that much money per month?? Are they just inventing more and more virtual goods to pre-sell people and people keep buying them despite nothing they bought years ago looks close to being delivered?

Yes, that's what they're doing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They can keep this plate spinning forever. Is there even a game at all that people can play? All I've ever seen is those glitch videos and promo stuff that always seems to fail.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kurieg posted:

Yes, that's what they're doing.

And I assume it's mostly existing customers, not attracting new suckers? These true believers that are out thousands of dollars need to be put on suicide watch or something once the project is officially canceled.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ruflux posted:

That is just some grade A incompetence, and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch, really, what with all the shadiness over what all that backer money is really being spent on.

I read this word as "schadness" and thought you made up a new word just for this thread.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
AB+ word imo. p sure I would use, in the right circumstances.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

And people just outright keeps sending them gifts and such, plus the Citizenry keeps buying extra packages so they can be all :smuggo: when the game INEVITABLY comes out and fulfils ALL their dreams and grant the experience to all their friends and family (after making them grovel before the apparent genius of the Citizen).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

Wait a minute, do they genuinely think that they bought CryEngine wholesale and could use it as they pleased? Is that honestly their defense? Like, they thought they could call it StarEngine because they owned CryEngine? This is ridiculous.

No, they're saying they abandoned CryEngine a while ago and have been using a different engine. It's literally in the article that was linked:

quote:

“We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.”

Crytek says "You're using our code!" Star Citizen says "No we're not!" Yawn. Factual dispute for the court.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I read this word as "schadness" and thought you made up a new word just for this thread.

Isn't that that lovely Enigma song?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
any australian who bought into that poo poo would be in a reasonably good position to lodge a claim against SC for breaching the australian consumer law IMO

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I was actually curious, since I know nothing of Star Citizen so I looked it up. You can get in with a minimum of a $45.00 starter package. That gets you probably the worst ship in the game. You can then use that ship to fly around a largely boring star system and fight some pirates but not much else / walk on a space station or fight in Arena PVP combat. 100+ million dollars at work.

fake e: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/70lwgx/what_can_i_do_in_star_citizen_currently/

A person on the SC reddit basically asking the same question in September.

Basically a limited FPS mode, a dogfight mode, and the ability to explore a tiny solar system with a singular quest line. But it's voice acted!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Internet's dead.
RIP internets.

Schad is on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_202l55LU&t=9858s

Also, lol @ bomb threat.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Internet's dead.
RIP internets.

Schad is on us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_202l55LU&t=9858s

Also, lol @ bomb threat.

a bunch of states are about to launch lawsuits against this so its probably gonna be held up for a few years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

No, they're saying they abandoned CryEngine a while ago and have been using a different engine. It's literally in the article that was linked:

Crytek says "You're using our code!" Star Citizen says "No we're not!" Yawn. Factual dispute for the court.

Isn't that that lovely Enigma song?

Woah now, Sadeness by Enigma owns.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Phanatic posted:

The best part about this is that Star Citizen signed a contract that says "You only get to use Cryengine for Star Citizen, and you can't switch engines". So when SC says "your lawsuit is without merit, we switched engines" the lawyers for Crytek are cackling gleefully with dollar signs in their eyes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lechtansi posted:

The best part about this is that Star Citizen signed a contract that says "You only get to use Cryengine for Star Citizen, and you can't switch engines"

Did they?

Roobanguy posted:

a bunch of states are about to launch lawsuits against this so its probably gonna be held up for a few years.

That's gonna be pretty meritless and it's not going to hold up poo poo.

Randaconda posted:

Woah now, Sadeness by Enigma owns.

No, it's Sade that owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqo2DxUBb-o

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Dec 14, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Yes, yes they did

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-crytek-lawsuit/

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Phanatic posted:

That's gonna be pretty meritless and it's not going to hold up poo poo.

Ajit Pai was so gleeful about this that he hosed it up. Just like Scott Pruitt is violating the law as he's loving up the EPA.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

quote:

Also at issue is the use of Cryengine in the development of Squadron 42, the single-player component of Star Citizen. CIG announced in early 2016 that Squadron 42 will be available for purchase separately from Star Citizen, which in Crytek's opinion denotes it as a separate game. But the GLA only granted the developers the right to use the engine in Star Citizen, and by splitting them up, CIG is "intentionally and willfully using Cryengine without a license and in violation of copyright laws."

Woah, they are turning the single player into basically a separate game? Ya, screw those guys!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

he devs keep issuing more and more spaceships that they say no one else will ever be able to get and they're one of a kind, and people went batshit mental because of the assumed scarcity and started dumping literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on a virtual picture of a spaceship that will be in a game that will never be finished.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Actually, somebody from their camp did call it an "outright buyout" of the engine, but as it turns out it's way, way old. Like, 2014 old. I saw the quote without the date, but this might actually make things even worse for them in a way, if they really are under the impression they have full control over the source code. See:

quote:

Hi S1GN3T,

We did an outright buyout of the engine last year and have the source code, so while we hope all the noise about Crytek blows over, as they are great partners and friends to the project, if the worse happened we would be ok, as we’ve already branched the engine and have a large team that is adding features and supporting it every day here at CIG. So even in the worst case scenario we should be fine, but obviously we hope it does not come to that.

Cheers,

Erin

From here. Now I dunno, maybe I hastily misinterpreted it, but that sure as hell sounds like claiming they own the source of the engine. I imagine what was meant was that they fully control their specific branch of CryEngine (the one they've been calling StarEngine), but even still if that really happened it's kind of strange that never popped up anywhere in the court documents submitted by Crytek. They talk about a licensing deal, with no transfer of ownership of the source code.

It does get kind of messy when you consider that CIG has probably modified the code a fair amount by now, and even had at that point. We shall see how it all works out, I suppose.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Part of the contract for their using CryEngine was, and I believe this is fairly standard, is that they were supposed to supply Crytek at least annually with any bugfixes and changes that they made to the game engine.

They didn't do this. Not once. Even before the :airquote: engine change :airquote: (Hint: they changed to Lumberyard, which is still loving Cryengine)

Skyscraper posted:

To TLDR that for people, Crytek is saying that RSI licensed CryEngine for only Star Citizen, and then made Squadron 42 as a separate game. Also, they gave them a discount on CryEngine in exchange for prominent branding and promotion, and Star Citizen at some point took off all the Crytek branding and said on one of their streams, "we don't call [the video game engine] CryEngine anymore, we call it Star Engine". Brilliant. Then they switched to Amazon Lumberyard in violation of their contractual exclusivity with Crytek. Also they didn't send their bugfixes and improvements back to Crytek (as required by contract), but did post a video series called "Bugsmashers" about how they were fixing bugs in Crytek, in the process putting Crytek's code on the screen for viewers.

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Every December Ask A Manager requests that people who have written letters in the past send in updates (which can be pretty interesting) so that part at least is std[id]h.

I love Ask A Manager and suspend disbelief on some of the more absurd letters because I have worked in some places with some people who are absolutely nuts, and I haven't even worked in particularly awful workplaces.

My favorite is still the one with the crazy manager who got fired for loving over an employee and handing all of that employee's jobs to their best friends or something.
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/update-is-the-work-environment-ive-created-on-my-team-too-exclusive.html
I think it was this one? I might be confusing it with another lovely person though.

DandyLion posted:

Unfortunately the sunk cost fallacy will keep a portion of whales invested even at a lower income value, perhaps enough to limp along indefinitely.

I have a rich friend who bought into it and keeps angrily defending that it's a great game and will be the best thing ever. He made me watch him stream it the other day and I spent the whole time laughing because the game is basically just a fancier looking No Man's Sky. I'm not even really joking there. From the space combat, to landing on planets and even the UI. It's just No Man's Sky with like half the automation taken out so instead of getting in your ship and flying away you have to get in your ship, turn it on then fly away.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

On May 6, 2015, Defendants began posting a series of videos online titled "Bugsmashers." The videos contain excerpts of information from CryEngine that were confidential, in breach of the GLA, and should not have been shown to the public. The series continues today.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/941021855695196160

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I had completely forgotten Star Citizen was even a thing. How has the ongoing scam progressed?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fifty Two Thousand Dollar Pledge?!

:stonk:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I had completely forgotten Star Citizen was even a thing. How has the ongoing scam progressed?

They started selling virtual land that doesn't exist a few weeks ago but otherwise it's mostly the same. Sell jpg of concept ship that's better than their previous ships or has some unique function that doesn't actually exist in the tech demo, add a markup for anyone using store credit to buy (which I'm pretty sure is illegal), then maybe actually create the ship and put it in the tech demo sometime in the next three years... maybe.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Dec 15, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Oh and don't be surprised if several of the features of the ship you've purchased are changed or removed if it ever gets released because it is still a concept after all.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Fifty Two Thousand Dollar Pledge?!

:stonk:

They sell a completionist package for $15k that doesn't even come with every ship but buying it gives you the opportunity to pay $2,500 for a ship that can't otherwise be purchased.

Regrettable has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Dec 15, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm just waiting for a competent company to poo poo out a superior copycat called Sun Denizen

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nuebot posted:

My favorite is still the one with the crazy manager who got fired for loving over an employee and handing all of that employee's jobs to their best friends or something.
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/08/update-is-the-work-environment-ive-created-on-my-team-too-exclusive.html
I think it was this one? I might be confusing it with another lovely person though.

Nope. That's the lady. It's hysterical how clueless, bewildered, and loving entitled she is about the whole situation. I read it and became instantly angry on the behalf of a woman I don't know.

quote:

I was fired today without severance. When my letter was published, I was already on suspension based on the exit interview investigation, poor management practices and complaints from other areas, none of which I believe are accurate. HR and the management team stated I had mismanaged my team and the ex-employee. I had given assignments meant for her and assigned to her by my director to other members on the team because I wanted to develop them, including my newly promoted senior. As a manager, I knew my team better. Giving special assignments to her, even though it was her role, screwed over my long term team members who would complain to me. I had also downgraded her end-of-year evaluation. I don’t think she deserved the praise she received from the sales staff, my directorand client executives. Her work just wasn’t that good to me. I thought if my team and I froze her out, she would leave. I called it un-managing.

My team found her quietness and her ability to develop sales presentations and connect with each client was very show-off-like. When she asked for help, we didn’t take it seriously because we thought she acted like she knew everything and she was making us look bad by always going above and beyond for no reason. My team and I had worked together for 5-6 years so I knew them, their work and their personalities better than anyone else so I took what they said with more seriousness. I also thought that her years of experience were irrelevant; she didn’t have anything beyond a bachelor’s degree (most of us were smart and dedicated enough to get a masters) and her experience was in a different subset of insurance.
emphasis mine.

Ask a Manager even interviews this lady via email, because it's so perfectly villainous they're questioning whether it happened or not. That link is worth the read regardless of whether it's stdh.txt or not.

EDIT: Misgendered the Big Bad

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Dec 15, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm just waiting for a competent company to poo poo out a superior copycat called Sun Denizen

SA goon Toops has been making Solar Plebian for awhile but afaik it's just an arena fighter for ships.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

Freelancer came out back in 03.

edit:
Oh, and Wing Commander: Privateer came out in like 93 and was even better.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxOSr012XAg
that's the line!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Proteus Jones posted:

Ask a Manager even interviews this lady via email, because it's so perfectly villainous they're questioning whether it happened or not. That link is worth the read regardless of whether it's stdh.txt or not.

EDIT: Misgendered the Big Bad

I think that was the real icing on the cake, she actually mentions in the interview that she wasn't sure if this was real or not. She gets a ton of garbage questions and even this one was so cartoonishly bad it broke the radar.

U-DO Burger posted:

There's a few space games out that already do the same poo poo star citizen does. Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky just to name two that cover the exact same content that No Man's Sky currently does, but better. They're both actual games, that exist.

One of the highlights my friend showed me was that if you did a crime, you would get a wanted level. But wanted levels didn't do anything. But you -could- go to a derelict space station and remove your wanted level by standing around for ten plus minutes doing nothing while a computer slowly downloaded your crime away.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
This guys is a tool and the video appology is schadengold
https://www.dexerto.com/news/drdisrespect-live-streams-emotional-apology-wife-slick-daddy-club/40834

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I'm using that from now on. A lot quicker than typing "schadenfreude" all the bloody time.

:thumbsup:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/JVRfdQb.mp4

Hello schadness my old friend ...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Nuebot posted:

There's a few space games out that already do the same poo poo star citizen does. Elite Dangerous and No Man's Sky just to name two that cover the exact same content that No Man's Sky currently does, but better. They're both actual games, that exist.

But No Man's Sky was also a ridiculously overpromised game that didn't deliver anywhere near what it claimed it was going to. Maybe they've delivered on what they promised via patches, but in its release state a whole bunch of features were just absent and there was a huge backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've heard nothing but good things about Elite Dangerous.