Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

But No Man's Sky was also a ridiculously overpromised game that didn't deliver anywhere near what it claimed it was going to. Maybe they've delivered on what they promised via patches, but in its release state a whole bunch of features were just absent and there was a huge backlash.

I don't think anyone paid $5000 for No Man's Sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejorts
Jun 30, 2013

Now please touch your finger to the tip of your nose.
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Elite Dangerous.

Quick someone tell me how this is possible.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

But No Man's Sky was also a ridiculously overpromised game that didn't deliver anywhere near what it claimed it was going to. Maybe they've delivered on what they promised via patches, but in its release state a whole bunch of features were just absent and there was a huge backlash.

And yet it's still better than this Star Citizen vapor poo poo, just by merely existing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

While I don't disagree with how bad No Man's Sky is, are you actually defending the boondoggle that is Star Citizen?

How many $1000 virtual spaceships did you buy?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Proteus Jones posted:

While I don't disagree with how bad No Man's Sky is, are you actually defending the boondoggle that is Star Citizen?

No, not at all; the "also" indicates that I was saying that SC is a ridiculously overpromised game that didn't deliver anywhere near what it claimed it was going to. NMS just seemed like a weird example of a game that does what SC does, but better. Unless, again, they've improved it since release.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

ugh gently caress that guy and his whole dumb schtick

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I have a friend who likes Elite Dangerous. He's not the kind of person who builds his identity around the fact that he plays a video game, though, so who knows. :shrug: He just likes flying spaceships around and shooting at stuff, and the game provides that.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

His whole schtick was loving terrible and he would always blame something wrong with the game when he lost and not accept the fact he did something wrong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

When the gently caress are people going to realise that "This is not who I am" is a really loving dumb and disingenuous thing to say. Although I guess if people are still pulling out the "I can't be _____ist, some of my best friends are ____" line on the reg then that's a pretty good indicator that dumb people are always going to be saying dumb things.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When the gently caress are people going to realise that "This is not who I am" is a really loving dumb and disingenuous thing to say. Although I guess if people are still pulling out the "I can't be _____ist, some of my best friends are ____" line on the reg then that's a pretty good indicator that dumb people are always going to be saying dumb things.

The poo poo I say may be dumb and disingenuous but that's not who I am or what I represent.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The examples I've seen in this thread of "that's not who I really am" have mostly not had any additional consequences - the words are said after sentencing, for example. The judge has already figured out their level of remorse.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
https://i.imgur.com/7WDddZz.mp4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought this was motion capture for a game and was wondering if they were finally making a VR version of Red Light/Green Light so that kids would never have to socialize with each other ever again.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://i.imgur.com/b3tYd1r.gifv

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

I thought Animate Dead makes mindless undead? Why are those skeletons helping each other?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CBT videos keep getting more esoteric.

e: Roy Moore refuses to concede Tuesday's election, despite the White House saying "hey, uh, you lost, get over it.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Dec 15, 2017

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

I thought Animate Dead makes mindless undead? Why are those skeletons helping each other?

cool bodyshaming bro

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

poly and open-minded posted:

cool bodyshaming bro

eating disorders are bad bro

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Yeah, what you’re doing isn’t “eating disorders are bad”, it’s “people with eating disorders are bad people to be ridiculed”. :fuckoff:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Besesoth posted:

Yeah, what you’re doing isn’t “eating disorders are bad”, it’s “people with eating disorders are bad people to be ridiculed”. :fuckoff:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

The problem they're trying to solve is real -- someone can pledge, gain access to that creator's previous posts immediately, and then cancel the pledge before the first payment is actually billed. It's not at all clear that it's a problem that happens often enough to be worth solving, though. It's definitely not as much of a problem as the platform hemorrhaging supporters because they were hit with a 40% price hike + sharded billing disaster, and if it is worth solving, it's a problem that could be solved in other, less disruptive ways (like, say, charging someone immediately when they first pledge, and then batching their donations thereafter.)

Pay a full month when you initially sub, then you pay at the beginning of the month thereafter. Month 2 is discounted appropriately.

So let's say you subscribe for $30/month, and do it on November 20th. You pay $30 up front. On December 1st you pay 10 dollars and you're subscribed through the end of the year.

There, all payments are on the same day of the month, so you can easily batch your credit card payments and minimize fees, and nobody can cheese the system by subbing/unsubbing. Done.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's a pretty good system, pair that with lethal attack drones sent to the addresses of people that sub/drop and we have a business plan.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

They look fine to me :shrug:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Sarcopenia posted:

They look fine to me :shrug:

necromantically bound spirits cannot give meaningful consent

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about Elite Dangerous.

I played a lot of Elite Dangerous. It’s a shallow ocean kind of game and has really poor community management. Wouldn’t recommend.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Just touch it up a little and tell everyone it was deliberate

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Just touch it up a little and tell everyone it was deliberate

That is one of my all time favorite pictures. Thank you for blessing the thread with it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
They even have the little Nabisko logo? I'm in awe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
No man's sky was an enormous disappointment at launch, and it looked like the devs were going to ghost for a while after that, but they've apparently made it less bad since then.

Mostly positive reviews in the last 30 days on steam, clocking in at around 1k comments, vs the 80k historical "overwhelmingly negative" comments calling for the dev teams taints to be reaped.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sarcopenia posted:

That is one of my all time favorite pictures. Thank you for blessing the thread with it.

There's so many more

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

There's so many more

Bless you. :allears:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Great way to catch a puppers

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

H2SO4 posted:

ugh gently caress that guy and his whole dumb schtick

Why make that poo poo public? If my spouse cheated on me, I wouldn't want them to get online and tell everyone about it, wtf

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnCsZ6YaWew

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I remember reading Ernest Cline's 'Ready Player One' and cackling at the part where he mentions the past great games that paved the way for the mega virtual world in the book: Star Citizen.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm old and out of touch but I'm struggling to understand why video game man's audience cares about his personal life and marriage.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

zakharov posted:

I'm old and out of touch but I'm struggling to understand why video game man's audience cares about his personal life and marriage.

Twitch can be a very weird place, streamers will issue apologies or personal updates for all sorts of weird poo poo that seem completely irrelevant and audiences seem to love it (or get a crazy mob mentality when they're favorite streamer suddenly takes a day off from their usual schedule). Having to make the occasional weird apology/personal video just seems to be par for the course for most of them in order to keep those donations coming in.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The other possibility is that he was about to get exposed so he decided to head them off and confess. Director Morgan Spurlock just did the same, stepping down from his production company after posting a statement about how he's cheated on every wife and girlfriend he's ever had, he harassed a female staff member and had to settle with her afterwards, and how he sorta kinda mayyyyybe raped someone but he doesn't remember it that way but somehow she does and now after watching all these other men get accused of similar things he's suddenly realised that he's also part of the problem.

A big part of that is that by coming forwards before any allegations became public he got to exert some control over the discussion, especially that whole "Rapist? Me? Gee, that's not how I remember it" part.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Dec 15, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The other possibility is that he was about to get exposed so he decided to head them off and confess. Director Morgan Spurlock just did the same, stepping down from his production company after posting a statement about how he's cheated on every wife and girlfriend he's ever had, he harassed a female staff member and had to settle with her afterwards, and how he sort kinda mayyyyybe raped someone but he doesn't remember it that way but somehow she does and now after watching all these other men get accused of similar things he's suddenly realised that he's also part of the problem.

Dude made his bones telling us fast food was bad for you, what a paradigm shift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm honestly surprised more people haven't jumped before they get pushed.