Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
When it comes to countries like Austria, Hungary or France in terms of dealing with the awful alliances they make with Italian minor states, I would assume that it's best to wait for them to be embroiled in other silly wars or throw equally as big(gish) allies against them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

You should form Japan, because not doing it is goofy gamey poo poo, and all good people will judge you. Same applies to the HRE vassal swarm.

Forming Japan just turns you into another boring feudal monarchy. Staying as a Shogunate gives you a bunch of Japan-specific mechanics that make the game more fun and unique. It's a waste to only use the shogunate for like 50 years with how cool it is.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

SkySteak posted:

When it comes to countries like Austria, Hungary or France in terms of dealing with the awful alliances they make with Italian minor states, I would assume that it's best to wait for them to be embroiled in other silly wars or throw equally as big(gish) allies against them?

You might be best off trying to get someone to call in the minor state as an ally so you can force the minor to cancel the alliance without being able to call in their own friends. Or expand elsewhere if you have the option really, expanding in Italy is an AE-filled nightmare unless you're powerful to begin with.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Any tips about using states? I usually plonk burghers in coastal trade provinces, give whatever poo poo I have laying around to the rest when they whine about territory and call it a day.

The benefits look great, but each time I try to interact with them I end up with problems.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 15, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My Ideas Guy run, Persian Zoroastrian Theocracy starting south of Mutapa. I'm in 3rd place in 1584 with about 15% of the income I need to get the achievement, and I have tendrils spreading out into West Africa, the Middle East, and the West Indies. I've been cleaning up in a lot of little wars and I'm not sure who my next big target should be. Ethiopia is big and willing to ally me but they are probably going to get attacked by the Ottomans soon, so I might do better by attacking them before that. Also looking at wars with Sunda and maybe some shenanigans in India and East Asia. What would you do? I've been doing really bad on tech and ideas because my MP keep going to coring territory, demanding territory, killing natives, and developing for institutions, but it hasn't really slowed down my expansion.

Also I started this game with the last patch and converted it to 1.24, hope it doesn't blow up on me! The only problems I've noticed are a few new uncolonized provinces at 0 development.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 15, 2017

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

Any tips about using states? I usually plonk burghers in coastal trade provinces, give whatever poo poo I have laying around to the rest when they whine about territory and call it a day.

The benefits look great, but each time I try to interact with them I end up with problems.

It all comes down to how much micro you want. You can abuse the loyalty decay with assigning/unassigning poo poo to milk them for points, manpower and what not. But essentially you're doing it right, give CoTs to the merchants while keeping them under 41 influence or even lower if you don't need the Colonist bonus, then assign high manpower provinces with lovely trade goods to the army guys and high base tax, lovely trade good provinces to the clergy.
If you have very important forts it can be worth it to give those to the army guys too.

If you really want to maximize money gains you can also assign freshly conquered and stated land to the clergy to make conversion easier, then remove it after that's done. Missionary strength -> faster conversion -> lower costs, people keep underestimating that one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fat Samurai posted:

Firstly, every province with >25% autonomy gets an estate, always. Provinces I want to convert are baised towards getting religious estate (happy religious estate gives +2% local conversion chance). Provinces with local trade power bonuses almost always get merchants and usually keep them even after autonomy has reduced. If possible keep all estates >60% influence at all times by giving them extra provinces, the bonuses over your entire country are usually worth giving them another province or two.

With regards to managing estates I usually just try to ensure that I get +150 monarch points every time I exploit that estate, which means the estate has to be at 75% or higher influence. You can then push their influence down lower later on as long as you bump it back up again before the next time you want your 150 monarch points. You can safely let estates have 80-85% influence as long as they don't sit in that state for too long, it takes several years for the disasters to fire.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Fat Samurai posted:

Don't be too arbitrary with how you give the Nobility and Clergy provinces. Try to give provinces with high manpower and low tax/production to the Nobility, while high tax with low production/manpower provinces should go to the Clergy. In both cases preferably provinces with low value trade goods like grain or wool. That way you get the most benefit from the estates' autonomy exemption for their favored development type and minimize the effect of their minimum 25% autonomy for everything else.

You can always just revoke provinces when an estate's influence gets too high. The disasters for high influence take a while to fire anyway, so if you keep an eye on it you can even wait it out a bit and hope for an event to pop up that lets you reduce influence before you start revoking provinces. Having an angry clergy reduce your tax income by 10% for a few years in exchange for 150 ADM points every two decades is worth it. Just try not to piss off your nobility when you really need the manpower recovery bonus.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Eldred posted:

You might be best off trying to get someone to call in the minor state as an ally so you can force the minor to cancel the alliance without being able to call in their own friends. Or expand elsewhere if you have the option really, expanding in Italy is an AE-filled nightmare unless you're powerful to begin with.

I should have listened to you on the last point. I got too greedy with Italy which, in has spawned two coalitions against me; (poor) use of mercs and Austria+Hungary ensuring I didn't lose out. Given that the Pope is being a spiteful rear end in a top hat and keeps excommunicating every ruler I have, I am just going to convert Protestant so people think I'm not as big of a Satan, despite the heretic religion opinion modifier!

On the plus side I still have about 5k in the bank and an Italian nation so that's nice at least. It's a frustrating set of wars though given that the Alps mean that broken armies warp away with mountains and such making it hard to catch them again!

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Did they change being able to force religious rebels by setting a 0 maintenance mercenary in a province with unrest?

Also anyone had luck with Granada in V Hard? I tried the escape to Ireland gambit and it worked for the most part but I couldnt kill Scotland beecause they were allied with France. Didnt have a change of making it to England because I couldnt afford enough heavies for that. Aragon beat up Castile pretty good but the wedding happen in the 1490s and from there I had to fight Castile, France, Aragon and Naples.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, help is always appreciated, especially from devs. I'm just going to document here what I think is a lesser known problem with completely new map mods.

Groogy mentioned that adjancencies.csv needs an entry or you get hangups, but it's not actually enough to just have an entry, you also, much to my own chagrin I missed this for 8 months, need the closing line of -1;-1;;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1;-1; or else it still hangs.

Map finally loads now, the mod can finally proceed in a way that lets me work on actual stuff.

Thanks muchly Groogy, and to whomever may actually go looking in the future on google searches of maplogic crashes, good luck.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 15, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My Ideas Guy run, Persian Zoroastrian Theocracy starting south of Mutapa. I'm in 3rd place in 1584 with about 15% of the income I need to get the achievement, and I have tendrils spreading out into West Africa, the Middle East, and the West Indies. I've been cleaning up in a lot of little wars and I'm not sure who my next big target should be. Ethiopia is big and willing to ally me but they are probably going to get attacked by the Ottomans soon, so I might do better by attacking them before that. Also looking at wars with Sunda and maybe some shenanigans in India and East Asia. What would you do? I've been doing really bad on tech and ideas because my MP keep going to coring territory, demanding territory, killing natives, and developing for institutions, but it hasn't really slowed down my expansion.

Also I started this game with the last patch and converted it to 1.24, hope it doesn't blow up on me! The only problems I've noticed are a few new uncolonized provinces at 0 development.

I'd focus on cementing your grip on the West Indies. Conquering Kilwa should also produce a good chunk of change but the indies will be your real money maker. Suck up all the west indie trade possible.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
My timelapse for my Lion of the North run. Raw recording, I have not worked with video editing before, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IviNsKqy720

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

My Ottomans in 1555. Did the Ottos always have cores on the Mecca counties? I secured those in the first war we had. I've only played them once before, but I don't remember that at all. I have the mission to conquer Egypt but I screwed up my timing and was unable to get all the counties before the claims timed out. If I drop the mission, could it reappear later and give me the giant list of claims again?

I'm currently allied with the Timurids and Poland. Ming has rivaled me, and although I won't have any direct contact with them for quite a while, I'm still concerned because they're loving enormous right now. I don't have the Mandate of Heaven DLC - is what I've seen termed a "mingsplosion" possible without that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Like a lot of other things, managing estates is a lot more effective in the early game and especially as a smaller power. +150 monarch points sounds like a lot, but the ability is on a 20 year cooldown so it's not even equivalent to having +1 MP per month. Also having estates at 75 influence can be very dangerous, because it makes you eligible for events that make you choose between a harsh penalty or giving them enough influence to tip them into the disaster threshold. Later on you'll usually settle for +100 because the balancing act just isn't worth the trouble. The advisers you get from them can also be a trap, because you're giving them 10 or 15 influence for 30 years for an adviser who could easily die in less than half that time. It's great for an early boost but as the game progresses and you get more powerful, the bonuses become a lot less worth the bother.

The main use for estates is giving them newly annexed territory with high autonomy. Giving it to the nobility is especially powerful, because it means you get the full amount of manpower and force limit from those provinces, which lets you keep the conquest ball rolling a lot longer. The clergy gives you +2 missionary strength in provinces they hold as long as they're happy (60+ loyalty), and fortunately the clergy are the easiest estate to keep happy thanks to the contribution action. The burghers are especially helpful for seeding institutions - if they're happy and have 60+ influence you get -10% global development cost. Unfortunately the burghers are also the hardest to give influence to because of their requirements for provinces. They're also helpful for colonization.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lucas Archer posted:

My Ottomans in 1555. Did the Ottos always have cores on the Mecca counties? I secured those in the first war we had. I've only played them once before, but I don't remember that at all. I have the mission to conquer Egypt but I screwed up my timing and was unable to get all the counties before the claims timed out. If I drop the mission, could it reappear later and give me the giant list of claims again?

I'm currently allied with the Timurids and Poland. Ming has rivaled me, and although I won't have any direct contact with them for quite a while, I'm still concerned because they're loving enormous right now. I don't have the Mandate of Heaven DLC - is what I've seen termed a "mingsplosion" possible without that?

Pre-MoH Mingsplosion was pretty common, in fact just about ubiquitous in the last couple versions before MoH. But I don’t know if the free stuff in the MoH patch makes it less likely or just the paid stuff. Ming is nothing to seriously worry about as the Ottos though, they’re annoying and time consuming to fight but aren’t really the existential threat their force limit might make them seem. Almost any other great power, if controlled by a player, should be able to beat the poo poo out of their armies. Sieging their 100 level 8 forts is another matter.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
is there something I'm missing about forming Egypt? Playing as mamluks, it says I don't have mamluk government. also, is it better to go egypt or arabia? or like egypt then arabia?

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

EwokEntourage posted:

is there something I'm missing about forming Egypt? Playing as mamluks, it says I don't have mamluk government. also, is it better to go egypt or arabia? or like egypt then arabia?

If you're still playing on 1.23, you can't form Egypt as the Mamluks. It should be fixed in the update.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Ormi posted:

If you're still playing on 1.23, you can't form Egypt as the Mamluks. It should be fixed in the update.

well that'd explain that, thanks. good thing i don't play ironman. anyone know what file the form egypt decision is located in?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lucas Archer posted:

That's a factor of messing around with the start date before going back go 1444, our. As for the mission, you CAN, but it's also possible to have the mission crowded out by others, when I played my last ottoman game I ended up getting a bunch of 'foothold on the Swahili coast' missions pushing it out of the lottery because I'd taken exploration to start in on Indonesia.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This game is irritating me. Is Gold Rush even possible anymore with Third Rome? Muscovy is extremely powerful with its five vassals. I can cut him off from grabbing land from Kazan, but their army (around 30k) combined with five vassals (around 5k each) is just overwhelming. Using the horde flatlands combat bonus does not make up for it.

Yes, I know DDRJake did it, but he's the exception to the rule.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Node posted:

This game is irritating me. Is Gold Rush even possible anymore with Third Rome? Muscovy is extremely powerful with its five vassals. I can cut him off from grabbing land from Kazan, but their army (around 30k) combined with five vassals (around 5k each) is just overwhelming. Using the horde flatlands combat bonus does not make up for it.

Yes, I know DDRJake did it, but he's the exception to the rule.

Hit them while at war with Novgorod. Only fight in favorable terrain and you have to match their 4 shock general. Eventually Kazaan will declare on them and they have a tree front war. I restarted a lot to get it though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently Ottos get a unique announcement if they get the first circumnavigation.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
If memory serves right it also dynamically puts together the rulers title depending on what land the Ottomans control when that event happens.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Groogy posted:

If memory serves right it also dynamically puts together the rulers title depending on what land the Ottomans control when that event happens.

Very possibly, I didn’t take a screenshot but it gave him a full title including patronymic

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You also get a unique message if you're the emperor of china.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Confirming the new patch still doesn't fix the multiplayer event bug, I say as our group actively reloads the game so players get their events.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd focus on cementing your grip on the West Indies. Conquering Kilwa should also produce a good chunk of change but the indies will be your real money maker. Suck up all the west indie trade possible.

I think you're right. I've been gobbling up land in the Malacca node, and soon I'll be able to steer trade from there through Goa to my monopolized node in Zanzibar. It's an interesting balancing act, because I have to stay tough enough that the Ottos won't want to attack me once they're done eating Ethiopia. Ultimately I will take over India and Persia myself for that sweet Mughal decision, but that's quite a way off!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The tooltip for the event where your spouse cheats on you with your advisor is bugged :( I just murdered my wife because it told me I could take a 565 wife to replace her, wound up with a 140, and died the next year to leave her in charge for a decade.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004
Anybody got some hot tips for a QQ playthrough with all the recent changes? Most of the advice I’ve found is focused around QQ being a horde, which it now isn’t, and the whole starting situation seems quite different with all the additional provinces and nations.

Humanist seems like it might be an important first idea pick, to deal with the internal chaos?

I’m also considering attempting the rassids, whose situation seems somehow even more precarious, so if anybody’s had success with them I’d also be keen to hear it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yo groogy i think this is backwards

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Fat Albert posted:

Anybody got some hot tips for a QQ playthrough with all the recent changes? Most of the advice I’ve found is focused around QQ being a horde, which it now isn’t, and the whole starting situation seems quite different with all the additional provinces and nations.

Humanist seems like it might be an important first idea pick, to deal with the internal chaos?

I’m also considering attempting the rassids, whose situation seems somehow even more precarious, so if anybody’s had success with them I’d also be keen to hear it.

QQ got a huge buff in 1.24 since their starting ruler is good enough to take the Islam +2% conversion vs. heretics decision. I haven't played with them in particular since I usually avoid starting as a major power but my suggestions would be to immediately make Mashriqi an accepted culture and just spamming conversions. If you concentrate your early DoWs on other Shia states such as the minors around the Caspian you'll stay at maximum mysticism, which combined with the conversion decision, will make provinces convert very quickly. The only revolt problems will be from the Armenians and if you keep everything else running smoothly they'll only cause the one uprising near the start of the game.

E:

To make a point, this is what your unrest and economic situation will look like in December 1444 after milking your estates and doing all the usual new game poo poo (deleting useless forts etc).

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 16, 2017

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

QQ got a huge buff in 1.24 since their starting ruler is good enough to take the Islam +2% conversion vs. heretics decision. I haven't played with them in particular since I usually avoid starting as a major power but my suggestions would be to immediately make Mashriqi an accepted culture and just spamming conversions. If you concentrate your early DoWs on other Shia states such as the minors around the Caspian you'll stay at maximum mysticism, which combined with the conversion decision, will make provinces convert very quickly. The only revolt problems will be from the Armenians and if you keep everything else running smoothly they'll only cause the one uprising near the start of the game.

E:

To make a point, this is what your unrest and economic situation will look like in December 1444 after milking your estates and doing all the usual new game poo poo (deleting useless forts etc).

Wow, that’s quite a lot better than I expected!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Well that's without being at your forcelimit and at minimum army support with only one advisor (a -2 RR theologian), but that should be all the army you need to clean up the Caspian minors and you should only have a slight deficit while at war.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fat Albert posted:

I did a "This is Persia" run starting as QQ just after the new DLC came out and here are some thoughts

1) Economic ideas were insanely helpful at the start, especially the -0.5 Interest idea that lets you borrow a lot more money without crippling your low-income earlygame economy with interest payments. The reductions to building cost, can be combined with the Feudal Theocracy ability (if you have formed Persia) to radically lower building costs and jump start your economy with all those amazing tradegoods, which economic ideas also help you produce more of.

2) Mamluks will almost always rival you (they did to me literally every single time) so an alliance with them is unlikely. Keep your relations with them and Ottomans as high as possible to stop them from adding your territory to their "vital strategic interests" and hope the Ottos take the "Conquer the Levant/Serbia/City of World's Desire" missions before bothering you

3) There are a lot of rich, decent dev provinces in the Persian area and they are split up and usually at each others throats so you should try to unite and form Persia ASAP since their NI's are flat out better in most cases than QQ's

4) Dealing with religious unity is much easier than it was last patch; pre-CoC/MoH I would usually just let Coptic rebels take over and convert most of my lands for me but now it is a lot easier to go full Mysticism and use state decrees to increase Missionary strength. With the advisor, full mysticism, and the decree you get a total of +6% Missionary Strength which is enough to convert basically any province in two or three years. Once you get your religious unity up or have finished converting the highest dev provinces in your lands you should switch over to Legalism for the tech discounts, manpower, and money.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Note to self:
1. Remember to check supply limits and attrition levels before parking 30k troops to siege down a castle in a tropical province.
2. Remember that a size 1 capital fort only needs 3-4k troops.

Oops. :v:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Getting nowhere on Gold Rush. If you try to take Ryazan and Odoyev (enough to embrace feudalism,) Muscovy attacks Kazan and cuts you off from expanding there. If you attack Crimea before they can make any significant allies, again Kazan is swallowed by Muscovy. Kazan itself is allied with either Crimea, Nogai, or Uzbek, so even if you wanted to attack them early, you'd have no allies to do it with. I have no idea how this is supposed to be done.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Have Uzbek and Nogai not rival each other, ally both. Eat Kazan, and potentially their ally Crimea in one go.

Fat Albert
Jun 19, 2004

420 Gank Mid posted:

I did a "This is Persia" run starting as QQ just after the new DLC came out and here are some thoughts

1) Economic ideas were insanely helpful at the start, especially the -0.5 Interest idea that lets you borrow a lot more money without crippling your low-income earlygame economy with interest payments. The reductions to building cost, can be combined with the Feudal Theocracy ability (if you have formed Persia) to radically lower building costs and jump start your economy with all those amazing tradegoods, which economic ideas also help you produce more of.

2) Mamluks will almost always rival you (they did to me literally every single time) so an alliance with them is unlikely. Keep your relations with them and Ottomans as high as possible to stop them from adding your territory to their "vital strategic interests" and hope the Ottos take the "Conquer the Levant/Serbia/City of World's Desire" missions before bothering you

3) There are a lot of rich, decent dev provinces in the Persian area and they are split up and usually at each others throats so you should try to unite and form Persia ASAP since their NI's are flat out better in most cases than QQ's

4) Dealing with religious unity is much easier than it was last patch; pre-CoC/MoH I would usually just let Coptic rebels take over and convert most of my lands for me but now it is a lot easier to go full Mysticism and use state decrees to increase Missionary strength. With the advisor, full mysticism, and the decree you get a total of +6% Missionary Strength which is enough to convert basically any province in two or three years. Once you get your religious unity up or have finished converting the highest dev provinces in your lands you should switch over to Legalism for the tech discounts, manpower, and money.

Thank you for the fantastic advice, that is all super helpful to know! Did you take economic ideas first? I had been thinking religious or humanist but it sounds as though they might not be as necessary as I thought.

A lot of guides also suggest releasing Armenia right off the bat - is this still worth doing? Or better to hold on to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you don't have to be great horde if you want to try kazan maybe