Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Oh, nice. Tale as old as time!

So normal. Negative feedback abounds for any noticeable change. My team over the last 3 years has released dozens of functionality updates to one of this business' core systems and the only time in 3 years and tens of thousands of hours of work we got positive feedback was when we moved a menu item one level up.

No one said anything when we automated entire processes and saved them days each month, but cutting one click out of something they still have to interact with is our best work if user feedback is your metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

"What the gently caress are these UI changes", "why do they keep changing things without telling us", "what's the point of this new change", "I hate this new behavior", "this thing is buggy/broken", "do they ever listen to us", "I wish there was an alternative", etc. I've never really worked with direct feedback from users before, but it seems pretty dire to me.

That's not direct feedback from users. That's users anonymously whining amongst themselves.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

geeves posted:

Well, we're not watching John Wick 2. We can get away with violence,,, some of Machete wouldn't fly.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hughlander posted:

That's not direct feedback from users. That's users anonymously whining amongst themselves.
Screaming into the void, dead certain their feedback will never be read by a human

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

Screaming into the void, dead certain their feedback will never be read by a human

This. Stop torturing yourself and trying to climb into the well.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nobody in my office cares about the prequels and largely pretends they don't exist.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

geeves posted:

IntelliJ hang is probably because you have something that's not ignored correctly with your project and it constantly re-indexes on build on npm updates / install etc. I usually get a re-index lag if I checkout wildly different branches or if something new has been introduced to the repo (we have a single repo for all of our apps). The other reason may simply be you don't have the correct memory settings. So if you have the RAM to spare, increase the default settings.

Or the working folder is in a netwerk drive due to a roaming profile. Set that thing to a local store!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Cirofren posted:

So normal. Negative feedback abounds for any noticeable change. My team over the last 3 years has released dozens of functionality updates to one of this business' core systems and the only time in 3 years and tens of thousands of hours of work we got positive feedback was when we moved a menu item one level up.

No one said anything when we automated entire processes and saved them days each month, but cutting one click out of something they still have to interact with is our best work if user feedback is your metric.

The one thing I have said that is worthy of quoting: "The only thing users hate more than a bad UI is change."

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Taffer posted:

Something else is going on, OS won't determine that. Maybe it's trying to index an enormous amount of stuff or something.

It's less the OS and more the fact that Group Policy requirements can't impact Macs as much.

I actually don't think indexing is hurting my performance too much, it's mostly my sonarlint plugin firing up a jillion processes.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

I actually don't think indexing is hurting my performance too much, it's mostly my sonarlint plugin firing up a jillion processes.

Oh, yeah, I used that for a couple of days and had to axe it due to performance. I get by with Find Bugs and IntelliJ's intellisense.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

geeves posted:

Oh, yeah, I used that for a couple of days and had to axe it due to performance. I get by with Find Bugs and IntelliJ's intellisense.

How comparable is find bugs? I might have to give that a shot

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Fwiw I used to work at a shop where I had a windows desktop that had McAfee installed and it chugged whenever I tried to use IntelliJ. Turns out every time IntelliJ tried to execute a jar file, McAfee decompressed it to see if there were any suspicious files in it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

Fwiw I used to work at a shop where I had a windows desktop that had McAfee installed and it chugged whenever I tried to use IntelliJ. Turns out every time IntelliJ tried to execute a jar file, McAfee decompressed it to see if there were any suspicious files in it.

On-access scan. It's the loving worst, we got them to turn it off for a while, and now it's back. Also scans every time you even move a jar or maven downloads a dependency.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

So, this, plus our drives are required to have bitlocker on, which obviously adds extra CPU load and r/w time (although according to a video I watched, less load than one would expect).

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ChickenWing posted:

So, this, plus our drives are required to have bitlocker on, which obviously adds extra CPU load and r/w time (although according to a video I watched, less load than one would expect).

Yeah, on a system less than 5-6 years old it should be basically free because so much of the stuff underlying the encryption can be done with newer x86 opcodes or something. It's the AV.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Just gave a very important demo of a new beta thats coming out to the product owner, who is our Consulting director, our Technology director, and my tech manager. Theres also a chilli cook off going on.

3 out of 4 were three drink deeps, guess which ones

pictured: me, on skype 4 business

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

KoRMaK posted:

Just gave a very important demo of a new beta thats coming out to the product owner, who is our Consulting director, our Technology director, and my tech manager. Theres also a chilli cook off going on.

3 out of 4 were three drink deeps, guess which ones

pictured: me, on skype 4 business

Hmmmmmmmmmmmnope I can't figure out even one of the three.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Gounads posted:

The form is submitted when focus leaves the input box.
Whyyyyy would they do this

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Whyyyyy would they do this

Spite, usually

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My boss's boss wants to meet to chat Monday morning about my reasons for leaving and sent a meeting request called "Coffee" with the details "Meet at your desk, walk to your choice." I get how I'm the weird one for not drinking coffee, but even if I did, do people really want to go to a coffee shop half an hour after they get to work? Isn't that, like, too early for a second cup and too late for a first cup, if you're a coffee-drinker? Also, do people not brush their teeth after breakfast and want to hold off on ruining their minty-fresh mouth for a few hours?

I want to reply with, "I don't drink coffee, but how about we go get some ice cream instead?"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I would go for morning ice cream with you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Thanks, buddy :3:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

My boss's boss wants to meet to chat Monday morning about my reasons for leaving and sent a meeting request called "Coffee" with the details "Meet at your desk, walk to your choice." I get how I'm the weird one for not drinking coffee, but even if I did, do people really want to go to a coffee shop half an hour after they get to work? Isn't that, like, too early for a second cup and too late for a first cup, if you're a coffee-drinker? Also, do people not brush their teeth after breakfast and want to hold off on ruining their minty-fresh mouth for a few hours?

I want to reply with, "I don't drink coffee, but how about we go get some ice cream instead?"

Every (admittedly limited sample size) VP or C-level that I've interacted with has done 90% of their work walking to or from a coffee shop or stand.

All our COO does is essentially walk laps around the office with a coffee cup in his hand, then when it's empty he goes downstairs for a refill.

I am also not a coffee drinker, but if I get caught in the "walk with me, I'll buy you a coffee" trap, I'll just order a tea.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Immediate supervisor broke the build 3 days in a row in the exact same spot. I get that supporting 5 different build environments isn't the easiest thing, but after the disasters the last two days, wouldn't you at least check one of the other builds than the one he was actively working in?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I love coffee but I've worked with people who don't drink it and they just order a hot chocolate (or iced chocolate in the summer) or a juice at coffee meetings.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

CPColin posted:

but even if I did, do people really want to go to a coffee shop half an hour after they get to work? Isn't that, like, too early for a second cup and too late for a first cup, if you're a coffee-drinker?

A half hour after I get to work is my third or fourth cup so that slots in nicely, especially if he's buying.

But yeah just order something else.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Fool posted:

Every (admittedly limited sample size) VP or C-level that I've interacted with has done 90% of their work walking to or from a coffee shop or stand.

All our COO does is essentially walk laps around the office with a coffee cup in his hand, then when it's empty he goes downstairs for a refill.

I am also not a coffee drinker, but if I get caught in the "walk with me, I'll buy you a coffee" trap, I'll just order a tea.
90% of a C-level's job is 1:1 meetings anyway, so this is totally on the level

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CPColin posted:

Do it, he'd probably be more than fine with it as long as you can find a place that's open that early (maybe one of those Baskin Robbins combo shops). The point is to have an informal atmosphere while talking to you, the coffee just facilitates that. You don't have to "beep boop what are normal human actions" over this.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cirofren posted:

I love coffee but I've worked with people who don't drink it and they just order a hot chocolate (or iced chocolate in the summer) or a juice at coffee meetings.

I can’t believe iced chocolate is a thing and I want to try it now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Virigoth posted:

I can’t believe iced chocolate is a thing and I want to try it now.
If you've ever passed a Godiva store without getting a Chocolixir, god drat you're dumb

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vulture Culture posted:

If you've ever passed a Godiva store without getting a Chocolixir, god drat you're dumb

I mean that thing just looks like a fancy frosty. I'm going to conspire on Monday to take one of my team members out to a coffee shop for team building and try to order an iced chocolate. We'll probably talk about Infrastructure as Code or something to keep it relevant.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Virigoth posted:

I mean that thing just looks like a fancy frosty.
Not even remotely close, sorry you find whipped cream confusing to the eye

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My job kinda encourages drinking beer. Everyone got a big box of beer for christmas.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

It's less the OS and more the fact that Group Policy requirements can't impact Macs as much.

Just wait until there's a critical mass of mac users and they roll out JAMF.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Hughlander posted:

Just wait until there's a critical mass of mac users and they roll out JAMF.

We just had this fight internally after our company got bought. We were free range Mac users with general safety guidelines and a not so intrusive corporate image that worked well for everyone. When we got bought things got very big business standard with corporate bloatware and things that ticks someone box on a spreadsheet. We actually won the fight to control our own Macs through our Security team recommendations since we're still considered a separate business unit. We had a day a few months ago where everyone re-imaged their laptop to remove the corp image and go back to the base Mac release with encryption and a couple small tools on them. Trusting your users is a big deal in a corporate environment and I'm glad our devs could put the anime away for a few minutes to look and act like adults about this issue.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I am going to xpost this to the working in corporate thread, but my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency. How do I explain to them they are being swindled out of their money without sounding like a dick? And yes, I understand bitcoin and blockchain, that doesn't mean I like the bitcoin and other currency implementations. Hell, I understand a lot of things that I have no desire to obtain. Either way, is your workplace also a bunch of people blowing up that bubble a bit more?

In other news, two ops people got "suspended pending investigation". I work at a bank. This poo poo is bad poo poo.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2017

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I recommend just being a dick about it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Keetron posted:

I am going to xpost this to the working in corporate thread, but my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency. How do I explain to them they are being swindled out of their money without sounding like a dick? And yes, I understand bitcoin and blockchain, that doesn't mean I like the bitcoin and other currency implementations. Hell, I understand a lot of things that I have no desire to obtain. Either way, is your workplace also a bunch of people blowing up that bubble a bit more?

In other news, two ops people got "suspended pending investigation". I work at a bank. This poo poo is bad poo poo.

The only person in my office investing in bit coin is a semi-retired guy who makes half his living off his investments and only works 2 days a week. He's buying some on the theory that Wall Street will blow the hell out of the bubble and he's hoping to sell sometime in the middle of that. The rest of us think he's crazy since he's basically betting on being able to swindle the swindlers.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Keetron posted:

Meanwhile at my work on of the early joiners has quit after cashing out 40% of of his holdings for high 8 digits and moved to CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Keetron posted:

my co-devs will not shut up about bitcoin and other crypto currency

I work at a bank

LLSix posted:

The only person in my office investing in bit coin is a semi-retired guy who makes half his living off his investments and only works 2 days a week. He's buying some on the theory that Wall Street will blow the hell out of the bubble and he's hoping to sell sometime in the middle of that. The rest of us think he's crazy since he's basically betting on being able to swindle the swindlers.

:thunk: