Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get why they made figures of the loving METALLIC suits, which is just awful, when if they REALLY wanted to try to milk MMPR they could have done the first movie suits

Like the smaller line did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

I don't get why they made figures of the loving METALLIC suits, which is just awful, when if they REALLY wanted to try to milk MMPR they could have done the first movie suits

Like the smaller line did!

I don't think they were meant to be a reference to the metallic armor of late MMPR. They're a quality-focused "plus" to make them look nicer and justify asking collectors to double-dip since the original edition did not include weapons and had belts the wrong color and these fixed both of those problems.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Personally I just wouldn't buy those things because they're like $20 loving dollars and you can buy a Figuarts for roughly the same price that's easily 10x better. I know Figuarts stopped doing modern Sentai/Power Rangers teams a couple of years ago but the difference in quality for the same price makes my head spin

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

Personally I just wouldn't buy those things because they're like $20 loving dollars and you can buy a Figuarts for roughly the same price that's easily 10x better. I know Figuarts stopped doing modern Sentai/Power Rangers teams a couple of years ago but the difference in quality for the same price makes my head spin

Where in the gently caress do you find Figuarts of the MMPR group for 20 bucks because I want to shop where you're at

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Burkion posted:

Where in the gently caress do you find Figuarts of the MMPR group for 20 bucks because I want to shop where you're at
I got some off amazon for that price. Also, fun fact, they used to sell Figuarts at Toys R Us briefly (For about $20)

(I think it was only Shinkenger tho)

edit: Holy poo poo what the gently caress

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealFoxy posted:

I got some off amazon for that price. Also, fun fact, they used to sell Figuarts at Toys R Us briefly (For about $20)

(I think it was only Shinkenger tho)

edit: Holy poo poo what the gently caress

Trying to find the MMPR crew now for anything close to that price is a herculean task for the ages

Maybe you could get lucky on Ebay and get one for 40, but otherwise GOOD LUCK

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

OOO is a good series that serves as a great show of why Yasuko Kobayashi is an amazing writer who shouldn't be given long series. Characterization, beginning and end are all excellent...the middle part is slow as poo poo and mostly forgettable.

I love her series, Shinkenger and Go-Busters are my favourite Sentai, but she's much better in shorter series. Even Shinkenger suffers with the slow and boring Akumaro arc (much as the ending of it is excellent).

I've said it a million times before but you can skip pretty much everything between Shauta's debut and the last 3 to 5 episodes or so and not really miss anything important that isn't brought up in flashbacks or dialogue(and while it does make everything surrounding the Dinosaur Medals and their connections with both Eiji and Doctor Maki a little confusing, it's worth not dealing with the awfulness that is most of the Purple Yummies)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it a million times before but you can skip pretty much everything between Shauta's debut and the last 3 to 5 episodes or so and not really miss anything important that isn't brought up in flashbacks or dialogue(and while it does make everything surrounding the Dinosaur Medals and their connections with both Eiji and Doctor Maki a little confusing, it's worth not dealing with the awfulness that is most of the Purple Yummies)

The saddest thing is why it happened that way

The earthquakes that hit Japan completely derailed OOOs and ruined what was shaping up to be a very interesting series.

I still adore the ending we got but the original concept was so much better

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Burkion posted:

Which have you tried?

Because Kamen Rider has some WILDLY different shows depending on what you want to see

No clue, the one time I tried to start a Rider series was at least ten years ago. Aside from that, there was that Shinkenger/ Decade crossover, which didn't do anything for my at. I think it just comes down to the fact that there's probably a handful of Rider suits that I don't find hideous, belts and all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JT Smiley posted:

No clue, the one time I tried to start a Rider series was at least ten years ago. Aside from that, there was that Shinkenger/ Decade crossover, which didn't do anything for my at. I think it just comes down to the fact that there's probably a handful of Rider suits that I don't find hideous, belts and all.

Woo boy, a decade ago in Kamen Rider would be

Oh that's not nice

Anything from Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O or Decade. Or Hibiki Christ I hope it wasn't Hibiki None of which are uh

I mean

Kabuto has some really nice suits!

Also Decade is just, literally awful. Just a bad, bad show. Just awful. I am so sorry.

Mid Heisei Rider is really loving rough. Even for the shows that have great suits they tend to have some other kind of horrible problem or just fall apart before the ending.

Or just don't end.

More than one just don't end.

I don't know why but it's a thing that kept happening.

Also Kamen Rider suits are, let's say, not as nice looking as Super Sentai suits because they tend to keep the bug eyes, or have some weird loving toy gimmick if it's after Double. Like, way more intrusive than Sentai.

If you had to give a Rider series a shot, what is something you'd be looking for? Tone wise, action wise. I might be able to help you out.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that Toys R Us, the store that's nearly on the brink of bankruptcy for 15 years except that parents need to buy playsets for their kids sometimes, is such a big player in the "expensive fancy poo poo for Japan obsessives" category? If you asked me 12 hours ago if Toys R Us had stock of a Tiger & Bunny figure, let alone a $60 one, I'd say no.

Burkion posted:

Anything from Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O or Decade. Or Hibiki Christ I hope it wasn't Hibiki None of which are uh
From the outside look in at Japan, it seems like Den-O is popular. It has Wacky Monsterzz~! and the ever-popular train theme which Sentai tried to do later.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 15, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Burkion posted:

The saddest thing is why it happened that way

The earthquakes that hit Japan completely derailed OOOs and ruined what was shaping up to be a very interesting series.

I still adore the ending we got but the original concept was so much better
Although it was barely really touched on, I think Eiji having PTSD half-way through the series and being the "perfect" body for the OOOs driver because he was essentially emotionally mute was great character development in the show. The whole series really did fall off the rails when the blue and grey greed ended up fusing together until the end though, but I can't think of any secondary characters in recent memory that beat out Ankh or Date.

Craptacular! posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that Toys R Us, the store that's nearly on the brink of bankruptcy for 15 years except that parents need to buy playsets for their kids sometimes, is such a big player in the "expensive fancy poo poo for Japan obsessives" category? If you asked me 12 hours ago if Toys R Us had stock of a Tiger & Bunny figure, let alone a $60 one, I'd say no.
I bought Shinken Red/Gold figures from Toys R Us on clearance for $8 each, walking into that store in 2017 is like walking into a Sears or K-Mart.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 15, 2017

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

If you try about 6 episodes of a series to see if you're into them, there's a couple good modern ones that will probably draw your interest. Especially if you tried to jump in during the Decade era.

Kamen Rider W: It's a series based off a guy who **thinks** he's a cool detective, and his partner who is a shut-in book nerd. They solve mysteries that become an allegory for hard drugs. Overall, legitimately one of the best-wrote series from start to finish because (Minus 2-4 episodes) something legitimate moves the plot forward every episode
Kamen Rider Fourze: A Japanese Greaser stereotype is thrown into a high school of American stereotypes and he wants to become friends with everyone. There's a lot of energy, also this takes place in Space Camp.
Kamen Rider Gaim: It starts out as a light-hearted rivalry between feuding hip-hop dance crews and eventually devolves into a hosed up Evangelion show where everyone is backstabbing each other and hosed up things are happening between friends.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: It's a really goofy video game parody that somehow becomes one of the most dramatic and well-written shows in the modern era. They employed a guy from a Big Brother-type show in Japan who was nicknamed "Prince" and he became basically the most interesting character in the whole genre.

Just watch the first four episodes of whatever grabs your attention there. Fair warning, Ex-Aid has a rough start, Fourze has a rough middle and Gaim has a rough ending. I might be bias but W really doesn't drag that much

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 15, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I have a few friends obsessed with Kamen Rider Kuuga, so I’m watching it for the first time. It’s fun!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

RealFoxy posted:

They employed a guy from a Big Brother-type show in Japan who was nicknamed "Prince" and he became basically the most interesting character in the whole genre.

Which dude was that? I thought all the characters were pretty interesting, save for Hiiro.

e: to be fair, his writing wasn't terrible, but the actor showed the emotional range of drywall.

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should treat merch like paw patrol, group the girl characters together to make them more enticing. Like if you buy a paw patrol toy for a girl, it's much more likely to be Sky + Everest + Zuma(who is a boy but it's always grouped with the girl characters) than any one of them separately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha I didn't realize Fox owns Boom Studios which was part of the sell, so Disney just accidentally bought (a form of) Power Rangers again.(they will own a minority stake in boom, not the whole thing)

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 15, 2017

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haha I didn't realize Fox owns Boom Studios which was part of the sell, so Disney just accidentally bought (a form of) Power Rangers again.(they will own a minority stake in boom, not the whole thing)

Fox also still had MMPRTM and Turbo APRM so disney now got those too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Which dude was that? I thought all the characters were pretty interesting, save for Hiiro.

e: to be fair, his writing wasn't terrible, but the actor showed the emotional range of drywall.

If anyone talks about the most interesting character, you know fully well they mean Neo Dan "Dangerous Zombie" Kuroto God Amongst Gods. Like, I don't even know about the Big Brother-like thing but it can only be our Lord and Saviour, the Game Master.

RealFoxy posted:

If you try about 6 episodes of a series to see if you're into them, there's a couple good modern ones that will probably draw your interest. Especially if you tried to jump in during the Decade era.

Kamen Rider W: It's a series based off a guy who **thinks** he's a cool detective, and his partner who is a shut-in book nerd. They solve mysteries that become an allegory for hard drugs. Overall, legitimately one of the best-wrote series from start to finish because (Minus 2-4 episodes) something legitimate moves the plot forward every episode
Kamen Rider Fourze: A Japanese Greaser stereotype is thrown into a high school of American stereotypes and he wants to become friends with everyone. There's a lot of energy, also this takes place in Space Camp.
Kamen Rider Gaim: It starts out as a light-hearted rivalry between feuding hip-hop dance crews and eventually devolves into a hosed up Evangelion show where everyone is backstabbing each other and hosed up things are happening between friends.
Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: It's a really goofy video game parody that somehow becomes one of the most dramatic and well-written shows in the modern era. They employed a guy from a Big Brother-type show in Japan who was nicknamed "Prince" and he became basically the most interesting character in the whole genre.

Just watch the first four episodes of whatever grabs your attention there. Fair warning, Ex-Aid has a rough start, Fourze has a rough middle and Gaim has a rough ending. I might be bias but W really doesn't drag that much

I mostly agree with this except for Gaim, which is less Evangelion (it has nothing in common with Eva, I don't get this comparison) and far, far more Shin Megami Tensei. It's basically as close to a live-action SMT we're ever going to get, including such mainstays as Law/Neutral/Chaos paths (which all suck for everyone involved).
Also the ending isn't that rough so long as you end the series one episode early. The last episode is pure, absolute filler and a completely terrible waste of time that wasn't even written by Urobuchi, the main writer. And I say this as someone who fully thinks Kaito should've won and Kouta is bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Morby posted:

I have a few friends obsessed with Kamen Rider Kuuga, so I’m watching it for the first time. It’s fun!

That is an extremely good one, though fair warning it is also kind of an outlier.

Though I think we talked about that in the toku thread so hey!

Also if you want a Kamen Rider series fully and squarely aimed at an older audience, Amazons might be up your alley.

Just know going in that it's not going to be a typical show. Also the second season is a bit divisive because either you're going to get what they're going for or you aren't.

I should expand on that- either you're going to get and appreciate what they're going for, or either you're going to miss the point of what's going on and not enjoy yourself or just NOT LIKE what they're going for and not enjoy yourself.

Amazons as of the end of season 2 and Kuuga are the two Rider series that are the most on point on message shows in the entire franchise. From beginning to end both shows have a theme and they stick to that theme come hell or high water. Even if it goes against what you'd normally expect from a show.

Kuuga is all about how violence is awful and only necessary to protect others- and it'll still ruin you. Also escalation of violence is both horrific and inevitable and power cannot be used without consideration. To this end all of the fights are much more down to Earth, the villains are not colorful at all and in fact are just violent psychopathic serial killers, and the civilian death toll is staggering. The fights are still great and fun to watch, but there's a grittiness to them that doesn't exist in any other series, including Amazons.

Amazons is a whole other thing.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dan from Ex-Aid was "Oji-San" in the very first season of Terrace House. He barely spoke at all and only showed up on camera to lust after a girl he knew he couldn't have or sleep with girls he didn't want.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I mostly agree with this except for Gaim, which is less Evangelion
It's not really the genre itself, just the agony of the main character constantly being hosed over and losing the light in his eyes

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 15, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Kamen Rider Build is doing pretty well so far. It's basically amnesiac genius teams up with meathead ex-boxer to take down a shadowy organization that's involved in the former's lost memories and framing the latter for murder.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And those two make amazing foils to each other. Banjou-Kazooie is a treasure :allears:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

We're back with one gnarly monster: several venus fly traps.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had forgotten just how strongly they pushed the KIDS WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF GREEN RANGER FOOTAGE, GET USED TO IT TOMMY YOUR POWERS ARE WEAKENING stuff. We joke about poo poo like how this episode happens to not have audio from certain cast members, but at the same time had times where they actually tried to have foresight about upcoming changes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If they had done it a little smarter, the footage where Green gives Black the shield could have been part of an episode that gave Tommy's power to Zack for the swap to Dairanger suits.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

If they had done it a little smarter, the footage where Green gives Black the shield could have been part of an episode that gave Tommy's power to Zack for the swap to Dairanger suits.

I think I talked about this before, but there was a very justifiable fear of switching suits, and to this very day that fear is still justified.

We're 25-some-odd years past MMPR, the show has continued on in some form or another since that, and those Zyu suits are still the ones that have the strongest reaction to them; the ones most identified as Power Rangers. The show started losing its appeal when they finally switched suits.

Hell, we can't be sure today that the show would've kept up its popularity, had they switched to the Dairanger suits. Zeo was the beginning of the waning era for the show, maybe such a switch would've made things even worse.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Doctor Who is still a thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Saban should honestly call Toei and be like "Hey it's Zyuranger's 30th or whatever, you should totally do a Zyuranger remake/sequel with uh, the same suits. Then invent some hamfisted way to bring back Zordon

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm surprised there's no animated MMPR, honestly. Seems like a good way to use the original suits and characters but not rely on 1991 Japan for footage.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm surprised there's no animated MMPR, honestly. Seems like a good way to use the original suits and characters but not rely on 1991 Japan for footage.

We might get one soon considering the popularity of the Power Ranger comics

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MisterBibs posted:

I think I talked about this before, but there was a very justifiable fear of switching suits, and to this very day that fear is still justified.

We're 25-some-odd years past MMPR, the show has continued on in some form or another since that, and those Zyu suits are still the ones that have the strongest reaction to them; the ones most identified as Power Rangers. The show started losing its appeal when they finally switched suits.

I maintain it's the helmets. If they kept Zyu helmets while using Dai suits it would have looked like an upgrade to their previous arsenal and also avoid the Chinese-ness inherent in the Dai design.

Also you forget that people have stronger reactions to things that are first. Most people in their mid 30s have nothing to say about RPM's suits but that doesn't mean it wasn't one of their better adaptions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I'd be willing to say that's why. I can't see Saban willingly paying the old team to do voices, or paying them some kind of inevitable royalty for their likeness. And no way it was happening at the time because it would have eaten the base, made it even more of a kids show thing, and given the actors more leverage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Why would they hire the old actors? JDF would be down, of course. But Austin has his paramedic career as far as I know, Thuy is dead, so just recast the lot. And I would bet the actors would have no stake in their likeness either, since they were all nonunion.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Those kids never made any royalties on anything, their contracts didn't give them any which is part of the reason the original cast fell apart. The flip-heads were announced for Legacy toys and the actors won't be seeing a dime of it.

The comic already has people who look sort of like the actors did, you can animate them and have new people voice them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I figure that while fears of confusing kids was one reason for not using the Dairanger suits, it was far from the main one, the real one is that very little of Dairanger's footage would have been usable anyways, there's just so many weird things that Dairanger does

Heck even for my "What If Power Rangers started with a Maskman adaptation" alternate history concept where the Zyuranger suits are only used for one season I realized that Dairanger has so many issues that I'm still not sure how it should be handled in being adapted

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish they had waited to introduce the thunderzords until they went through all the Zyu2 footage.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Dairanger has so many issues that I'm still not sure how it should be handled in being adapted

By the Power Rangers defending the vanilla sex lives of Angel Grove against the BDSM depredations of Daddy deSaad and the Leather Empire.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Also you forget that people have stronger reactions to things that are first.

I didn't forget it at all, though? Zyu was the first, Zyu is the most well known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wish they had waited to introduce the thunderzords until they went through all the Zyu2 footage.

Agreed, although honestly the smartest move would have probably been to stagger out the Zyu2 episodes long enough to just skip over Dairanger completely and move on to Kakuranger