Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

it wouldn't be hard. I'm sure 90% of their arguments can be countered by reading the next paragraph from any of their citations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Owning the fundamentalist LDS by reading the book of mormon

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Owning the fundamentalist LDS by reading the book of mormon

That's practically the mission statement of the mainstream non-fundamentalist LDS? (FLDS and LDS are distinct and by now very different churches)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Those Bundy hicks are running for Congress.

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/940376220629270528

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Let's team up, write a point-by-point rebuttal, and spam their facebook pages :killing:.

E. Whoops missed an :f5: but still applicable. Which is worse, these idiots being elected in the future or the alabamian chomo that will get elected tomorrow.

Guest2553 has issued a correction as of 03:42 on Dec 12, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

oh for gently caress's sake

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
every time I think it's maybe time to consign this rollercoaster of a thread to the goldmine another big twist rounds the bend

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guest2553 posted:

E. Whoops missed an :f5: but still applicable. Which is worse, these idiots being elected in the future or the alabamian chomo that will get elected tomorrow.

TRUMP!

slams down receiver

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://articles.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2017/12/blm_investigator_alleges_misco.amp?__twitter_impression=true

good lord

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well that's terrible.

quote:

The memo described "heavy handedness'' by government officers as they prepared to impound Cliven Bundy's cattle. He said some officers "bragged about roughing up Dave Bundy, grinding his face into the ground and Dave Bundy having little bits of gravel stuck in his face.'

quote:

Wooten accused Dan Love, the former special agent-in-charge of the cattle roundup for the Bureau of Land Management, of intentionally ignoring direction from the U.S. Attorney's Office and his superiors "in order to command the most intrusive, oppressive, large scale and militaristic trespass cattle impound possible.''

quote:

On Feb. 16, Wooten said he asked Myhre if statements that Love made, such as "Go out there and kick Cliven Bundy in the mouth (or teeth) and take his cattle'' or "I need you to get the troops fired up to go get those cows and not take any crap from anyone'' would be considered evidence that must be shared with the defense. He said that Myhre replied, saying something like "we do now'' or "it is now.''

It is funny that Bundy supporters would probably think this sort of thing was fine if it was arizona sheriff Arpaio doing it, lol. It is not fine though.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Facebook Aunt posted:

It is not fine though.

You're right they let them live

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The entire lot of them are going to walk due to a combination of being white wingers and that the Feds are loving idiots.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
yeah maybe we are a bit too fast to praise the paramilitary jackboots of every federal body's law enforcement army, but also gently caress those guys

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zegermans posted:

You're right they let them live

Bragging about grinding a suspect's face into the gravel isn't cool even if the suspect is a douche.

The operation seemed to have a bizarre combination of pussyfooting and action movie bullshit lack of professionalism.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zegermans posted:

yeah maybe we are a bit too fast to praise the paramilitary jackboots of every federal body's law enforcement army, but also gently caress those guys

before you bust out the "paramilitary jackboots" talk, remember that if the Bundys weren't white Christian conservatives, we'd be talking about their funerals rather than their trials

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Main Paineframe posted:

before you bust out the "paramilitary jackboots" talk, remember that if the Bundys weren't white Christian conservatives, we'd be talking about their funerals rather than their trials

Luckily we don't live in an 80s action movie, so we don't need to pick a side and declare one side paragons and the other irredeemably wicked. There can be gently caress ups on both sides. :toot:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/941689406691397634

And JJ McNab with a fairly skeptical take on much of the whistleblower letter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/942434446250258433

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Via JJ McNab, summary memo from Feb 2017 discussing investigation of whistleblower letter:

http://www.seditionists.com/kleman.pdf

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So it turns out that the things the whistleblower says he heard are things he didn't actually hear, and the supposed "exculpatory evidence" is just things that have no relevance to the case but might make the BLM look bad.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/942495125069901824

Sums it up pretty well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All of the things that were claimed to have been withheld from the defense team, had also already been provided to the defense team.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

syscall girl posted:

i guarantee you someone has masturbated watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpBjph1T3Ls

Don’t dox me.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Facebook Aunt posted:

The operation seemed to have a bizarre combination of pussyfooting and action movie bullshit lack of professionalism.

its telling that Janet Reno gave up on life after they were acquitted. THat's one thing she did not stand for.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
welp

https://twitter.com/Leah_Sottile/status/943536296198250496

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

zegermans posted:

its telling that Janet Reno gave up on life after they were acquitted. THat's one thing she did not stand for.

Reno ate lunch at the hotel school's restaurant (Banfi's) several times while I was a student and server.

I regret never engaging her in discussions more serious than casual banter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the judge should ask the government to submit a brief answering “how the gently caress are you so bad at this?”

hobbesmaster has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Dec 20, 2017

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

the judge should ask the government to submit a brief answering “how he gently caress are you so bad at this?”

The past two years have done wonders to wash away the illusion of competence at basically every level of society. Why should federal prosecutors be any different?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

The past two years have done wonders to wash away the illusion of competence at basically every level of society. Why should federal prosecutors be any different?

then we’re owed a single page reply of “TRUMP”

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hobbesmaster posted:

the judge should ask the government to submit a brief answering “how the gently caress are you so bad at this?”

Seriously. There was a time when I thought the US attorneys office was pretty good at this poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/943579345335005189

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember buying the hype that when federal prosecutors bring charges it's after a slow, calculated, and meticulous process that basically turns the indictment into an inescapable Jigsaw style death trap.

lol

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
whats fun is they are going to do it again and probaly with hostages and or killing next time, because we have emboldened these animals and now they think they are invincible. hopefully they will just get gunned down at the scene next time.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I remember buying the hype that when federal prosecutors bring charges it's after a slow, calculated, and meticulous process that basically turns the indictment into an inescapable Jigsaw style death trap.

lol

This very thread repeated this mantra in the days leading up to the Malheur trial. LOL

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hobbesmaster posted:

They're not used to having a judge actually try to enforce constitutional rights because most of their workload is railroading minorities and entrapped "foiled terrorists"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zegermans posted:

They're not used to having a judge actually try to enforce constitutional rights because most of their workload is railroading minorities and entrapped "foiled terrorists"

they know exactly where the line is on those and go right up to it so the case is airtight

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

lol

normally it is, federal conviction rates are really high

what loving exculpatory evidence could the prosecution possibly have had? the bundies were caught on camera doing this poo poo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

normally it is, federal conviction rates are really high

what loving exculpatory evidence could the prosecution possibly have had? the bundies were caught on camera doing this poo poo

does that conviction rate include all the plea deals for lesser charges?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Facebook Aunt posted:

Bragging about grinding a suspect's face into the gravel isn't cool even if the suspect is a douche.

BLM LEOs are dicks. Poorly trained and generally disinclined to listen to reason. They were right in this case, but running roughshod over civilians is their general way of doing business.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Alright I didn’t want to do this but if the only way to settle this is me taking on every Malheur defendant at once in “the octagon” I will do so to ensure some chance at justice still exists in this flickering candle of a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Relevant Tangent posted:

BLM LEOs are dicks. Poorly trained and generally disinclined to listen to reason. They were right in this case, but running roughshod over civilians is their general way of doing business.

Tha't literally every LEO at every level. BLM are hardly unique in being poorly trained assholes.