Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Turpitude posted:

I got a ring from the DPS tutorials for novices or whatever that gives +30% XP to characters under level 20. Are there any other items like this that I should look out for?
If you use a referral code/someone else uses yours you get a +EXP headpiece that goes up to I think 25. All the other items iirc were limited time deals/cash shop stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any thoughts Scholar vs White Mage? I like healing so gonna level one of those first. I have a Scholar from playing before at 36 and leveling a White Mage now with my wife at 26. Not sure which I prefer at this lower end.

In 4 man content: WHM is absurdly stronger, but if you level SCH you get the best DPS in the game for free too. :thunk:

In 8 man content: you'll need both anyway. WHM's playstyle is direct (you've got the biggest, best healing spells, and the biggest, best damaging spells, and not much else) while SCH is about abusing a gigantic toolbox of individually kind of mediocre tricks. The best WHM players have a preternatural ability to look further ahead in the future than anyone else, in order to deploy their spells and regens and cooldowns most efficiently. The best SCH players have the ability to make instant, accurate snap judgements about which one of their 17 oGCD cooldowns is the correct one to use.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 15, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Turpitude posted:

I got a ring from the DPS tutorials for novices or whatever that gives +30% XP to characters under level 20. Are there any other items like this that I should look out for?

You can still get the Helmet of Light and Ala Mhigan Earrings by upgrading your base ARR and SB editions through the mogstation. The Helmet isn't really worth it since it cuts off at like level 10 or 15, but the earrings work all the way to 50. But you also get the other items like the chicken knife glamour item for red mage and the mount with the Stormblood upgrade.

Experience boost items also work while level synced below their cut off, even if the class you're playing as has an actual level higher than it. Some cosmetic sets from the cash shop will also increase experience gains below 30, but they also don't provide any worthwhile attribute increases. You'll get a lot of mileage out of the Brand New Ring because it's a really solid ring, especially when equipped below 30 since the attributes do not scale down.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I thought the earrings were a preorder item

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I thought the earrings were a preorder item

Hm, maybe. I thought they were just the same deal as the ARR helmet.

edit: Yep, looking at it on SEs webstore, the earrings aren't part of the digital collectors edition.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the Afro seriously the only option for curly hair in the game?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jay Rust posted:

Is the Afro seriously the only option for curly hair in the game?

Roegadyn gets some wavy options, if not super curly.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else been experiencing some massive latency issues the last few days? Had myself and a tank in a dungeon being unable to see anything happen for 15 second windows or so all through a dungeon. It was horrible

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Am I living the dream yet?! :smithicide:

FIFTEEN MINUTES for exdeath normal. I just wanted to get my WHM some quick gear...???

Average deaths per person in this group was about 3, by the way. The other tank and I are the only ones that didn't die

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Kashuno posted:

Anyone else been experiencing some massive latency issues the last few days? Had myself and a tank in a dungeon being unable to see anything happen for 15 second windows or so all through a dungeon. It was horrible

Yeah, since the weekend or so.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I sometimes get omega normal in mentor roulette and the DPS are a dumpsterfire, yeah. The tanks are usually okay. Just gotta accept that it's going to take about twice as long as it should. At least, if you go as a healer, you might be able to healer LB and look like a hero.

As for what healer between SCH and WHM, I maintain that SCH is the best healer job in the game. It has great versatility between its expansive tool-set, oGCD heals, and DPS, with the trade off being that its learning curve starts steeper than WHM. The one issue with levelling SCH is its 68 trait is truly amazing, so it always feels kind of crappy to go below that. It's still strong and good, though. It also comes with SMN, the best caster in the game. That's not to say WHM isn't good; SCH needs a partner in 8-mans, and WHM hits like a ton of bricks and is really satisfying to play.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Brainamp posted:

Roegadyn gets some wavy options, if not super curly.

Fifty different flavours of "dumb anime" but no black person hair?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jay Rust posted:

Well yeah the game's Japanese.

Seems like something they might put in the queue if there's a lot of demand tho.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

quote:

(Berteaux Braumegain) Now if there's a mount you should feel bad for
(Berteaux Braumegain) this dragon.
(★Ryoma Hoshi) What's that thing around it's neck?
(Berteaux Braumegain) It's being brainwashed into being your slave by the collar on its neck.
(★Ryoma Hoshi) Aw really, why can't dragons and people get along. ;-;
(Berteaux Braumegain) Maybe someday.
(★Ryoma Hoshi) I believe the dragons like the beast tribes are defending themselves. I think the heretics have something right but are doing the wrong thing.

He thinks Nanamo and the Scions (except Thancred) are dead and feels heartbroken. I am really looking forward to his reaction to Heavensward. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

BLM is kind of in the dumpster right now

It has been ever since Enochian was implemented and it will be until it's removed. Even though it's difficult to lose it now, it's still an entirely un-enjoyable burden of a mechanic.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

This was a long fight.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It has been ever since Enochian was implemented and it will be until it's removed. Even though it's difficult to lose it now, it's still an entirely un-enjoyable burden of a mechanic.
I admit I really hate enochian, blood of the dragon, and similar "keep this buff rolling or RIP your damage" signature class mechanics yeah. I mean obviously there's people who don't mind it or love other things about the classes, but I don't think I've seen anyone who actually enjoys that sort of mechanic in particular. It's not a big surprise that RDM and SAM and the like are super popular right now, and it's not just due to being the new expansion classes.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Pro tip: remember to level sync for the Starlight Celebration FATE. I, er, definitely didn't forget that.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

Pro tip: remember to level sync for the Starlight Celebration FATE. I, er, definitely didn't forget that.

Another pro tip: Turn off effects.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Renegret posted:

I made a disgusting amount of money on Heavensward's release just by buying regular white level 30 vendor gear and listing it on the AH for an unreasonable amount of money. For the first two days I couldn't list it fast enough.

As far as BLM goes, yeah the playstyle doesn't really match cutting edge content that well. But in anything that's not savage, the game is more than happy to let you plant your rear end in one spot and not move for minutes at a time, which makes you just as competitive DPS-wise as anyone else. I think it's an incredibly fun class to play and the only DPS class that's come close to holding my interest as much is red mage.

It's not even the playstyle, I mentioned this before.

It's the that fact for the negative amount of poo poo you bring the group, you better be pulling absolutely massive numbers, I mean like at least 400 DPS ahead of the next highest class that's NOT Samurai. Except, because of how this game is balanced, not does the class not pull absolutely massive numbers, it gets beaten by a class that helps out a group in like 3 different ways (I mean the fact that Summoner IS beating everything is another kettle of fish entirely).

When I looked a few weeks ago, Summoner was beating Black Mage on literally every level, there's no reason to play the class unless you enjoy sabotaging parties.

The last panel was going to be a Siege Tank from SC2 but I've heard these are now "good units"

Chucat fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 15, 2017

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Some people play jobs because they enjoy playing them.

I know this is a strange concept but it's true!

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've played Black Mage since this game came out. It's almost like that I enjoy the class I play and want it to be good instead of it being a loving millstone.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Asimo posted:

I admit I really hate enochian, blood of the dragon, and similar "keep this buff rolling or RIP your damage" signature class mechanics yeah. I mean obviously there's people who don't mind it or love other things about the classes, but I don't think I've seen anyone who actually enjoys that sort of mechanic in particular. It's not a big surprise that RDM and SAM and the like are super popular right now, and it's not just due to being the new expansion classes.

blood of the dragon can eat a monumental pile of poo poo because it makes drg unbearable to pug dungeons on, cause pubbie tanks will, my hand to god, universally wait until the exact moment it is too late to keep botd rolling to pull the next pull

I really enjoy drg in raid environments where I can actually keep botd and get eyes and have fun going super saiyan and spraying laser dragons everywhere, but it's terrible to play outside of that.

Easy fix: Lower Enochian and BotD cooldowns to the point that the cd is 5 seconds shorter than the window that pressing the button gives you. Voila, keeping Enochian and BotD rolling is no longer and excrutiating pain in the rear end outside of raids without turning into something completely mindless.

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 15, 2017

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Magres posted:

blood of the dragon can eat a monumental pile of poo poo because it makes drg unbearable to pug dungeons on, cause pubbie tanks will, my hand to god, universally wait until the exact moment it is too late to keep botd rolling to pull the next pull

I really enjoy drg in raid environments where I can actually keep botd and get eyes and have fun going super saiyan and spraying laser dragons everywhere, but it's terrible to play outside of that.

Easy fix: Lower Enochian and BotD cooldowns to the point that the cd is 5 seconds shorter than the window that pressing the button gives you. Voila, keeping Enochian and BotD rolling is no longer and excrutiating pain in the rear end outside of raids without turning into something completely mindless.

Well Enochian is easy to keep rolling between pulls because it depends on astral/umbral stacks and you can keep them rolling with transpose.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This is true.

It is also not a reason keep from re-examining jobs that are underperforming in their role (BLM) or unpopular due to their mechanics (MCH) though. :ssh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asimo posted:

This is true.

It is also not a reason keep from re-examining jobs that are underperforming in their role (BLM) or unpopular due to their mechanics (MCH) though. :ssh:
How could they be having a problem with their - heh - MECHANICS?

It is really hard to hit a tree with my bear bombs :( yes I have level synched

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Better late than never!

God knows how many hours our group spent learning that drat fight; I just about drove myself to unsub practicing it with awful PF groups. We had some rough pulls at first, and I drat near left out of a combination of shame and anger after causing a wipe on a promising run, but we stuck it out and got the clear! Things got really dicey with about a minute left on the clock; reapers bagged a couple of people and our RDM got raised just in time to eat a Dimensional Wave, but she finally dropped just before the enrage would have fired off. 26th percentile in damage dealt among Scholars (and 85th in healing done?) and I've never been more pleased.

This post is just a bit more eloquent than my first comment after beating the fight, by the way.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Bear bombs are dumb, they don't appear to check positioning when the cast finishes, they appear to be checking when the box reaches its destination.

Adjust and lead your target accordingly.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Well Enochian is easy to keep rolling between pulls because it depends on astral/umbral stacks and you can keep them rolling with transpose.

You're technically correct but the main issues with this are:

1) Going from 3 to 1 stacks of whatever you have isn't really the best thing, the only reason why you do it is to keep the Foul timer rolling (since you'll still have to essentially soft reboot the rotation by casting Blizz/Fire 3 and resuming it).

2) The Transpose cooldown is 1 second shorter than the duration of Astral/Umbral, so you're just sitting there mashing a button for 10 seconds when it doesn't do anything for 9 of them because there's no drawback to mashing whereas the drawback to not mashing is you get distracted by literally anything for the 1 second where it matters and your stacks just gently caress off along with your Foul timer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that I can absolutely understand the comments about BLM but after leveling Monk dealing with Enochian feels like a chill breeze compared to Greased Lightning.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Nessus posted:

How could they be having a problem with their - heh - MECHANICS?

something something cars, something something pixar, something something memes

Regarding BLM and DRG (or Enochian and BoTD) having a buff that needs to be managed makes for more potentially interesting and rewarding gameplay. However both have problems with maintaining it during downtime, either because of tedium (BLM) or because the CD is so long (BoTD.)

I agree that as they are now there's little reason not to reduce CD's to make it easier to maintain their respective buffs during intermittent downtime.

Intentional downtime however is a different matter and that's something players need to manage/git gud at in their own way. MNK's laugh at Enochian and BoTD woes. They've dealt with that crap since day 2.0. And they've been pretty fun/solid to punchmans with.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Chucat posted:

You're technically correct but the main issues with this are:

1) Going from 3 to 1 stacks of whatever you have isn't really the best thing, the only reason why you do it is to keep the Foul timer rolling (since you'll still have to essentially soft reboot the rotation by casting Blizz/Fire 3 and resuming it).

2) The Transpose cooldown is 1 second shorter than the duration of Astral/Umbral, so you're just sitting there mashing a button for 10 seconds when it doesn't do anything for 9 of them because there's no drawback to mashing whereas the drawback to not mashing is you get distracted by literally anything for the 1 second where it matters and your stacks just gently caress off along with your Foul timer.

Technically correct was really all I was aiming for, because his initial suggestion; a reduction in Enochian's cooldown, does not solve the issue for BLM. Enochian could have no cooldown, because you must have Astral/Umbral up to even cast it and dropping Astral/Umbral also drops Enochain and Foul's timer. Reducing Transpose's cooldown and having it keep the current stack # would be a better change, but I don't think it would do much overall to really make BLM an optimal choice.

When Enochian was introduced in HW I hated it and in SB I don't hate it, but I don't feel like it adds anything of value.

PLD, WHM, and BLM have been my three main jobs from 2.0 on, so I obviously don't care about optimal choice. BLM feels like an old school outdated concept of a glass cannon archetype, but it does not enjoy the benefits of superior damage to make up for their drawbacks of being mostly immobile with no utility.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Level 52 WHM quest is a dumpster fire.

At least I can clear it without the support adds.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Technically correct was really all I was aiming for, because his initial suggestion; a reduction in Enochian's cooldown, does not solve the issue for BLM. Enochian could have no cooldown, because you must have Astral/Umbral up to even cast it and dropping Astral/Umbral also drops Enochain and Foul's timer. Reducing Transpose's cooldown and having it keep the current stack # would be a better change, but I don't think it would do much overall to really make BLM an optimal choice.

When Enochian was introduced in HW I hated it and in SB I don't hate it, but I don't feel like it adds anything of value.

PLD, WHM, and BLM have been my three main jobs from 2.0 on, so I obviously don't care about optimal choice. BLM feels like an old school outdated concept of a glass cannon archetype, but it does not enjoy the benefits of superior damage to make up for their drawbacks of being mostly immobile with no utility.

My fave Enochian tidbit was someone saying that Enochian, Fire 4 and Blizz 4 should just be one button at this point. But yeah in all fairness he might've been thinking about HW Enochian.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This replay stuff they're showing on the live letter is real cool

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Chucat posted:

My fave Enochian tidbit was someone saying that Enochian, Fire 4 and Blizz 4 should just be one button at this point. But yeah in all fairness he might've been thinking about HW Enochian.

Enochian, Fire IV, and Blizzard IV should just be one button at this point, because of their requirements you're never going to use them at the same time. I'm fairly certain this is also how it is handled in PvP now too.

Edit: Logged back in and this is exactly how it is handled in PvP.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

My Roeg dude’s got some pretty credible cornrows.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Maguoob posted:

Enochian, Fire IV, and Blizzard IV should just be one button at this point, because of their requirements you're never going to use them at the same time. I'm fairly certain this is also how it is handled in PvP now too.

Edit: Logged back in and this is exactly how it is handled in PvP.

I get the feeling BLM hasn't had much thought put into it...............

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

The one thing I dislike about BLM between HW and SB is that there is no more play at the end of the timer. I always felt there was a half second or so of play at the end of a buff that you had to refresh it, even after it fell off. It wasn't reliable, but it was something I noticed. Now that its tied to its own timer and not on the buff bar, once it hits zero, you can eat poo poo. Go cast F3/B3 and hope Enochian isn't on CD.

I really ought to level SMN, but I dislike pet classes and I dislike DOT heavy classes. Red Mage is just too simple to really keep my attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
All glamour prisms are being converted into one. Prism market confirmed dead.