Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Last Jedi is reallly, really good.

No other new ships for X-wing in it, maybe some for Armada.

Also stay out of all SA threads about it even ones with spoiler tags. FYAD exists and they love to ruin poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Rules question: Extra Munitions says that you MAY discard the munitions token instead of the upgrade card when using an effect that discards it. If you choose to discard the card instead of the token, does the token disappear/stop working, or is it effectively a second copy of the card (that gets discarded instead of flipped down)?

Follow up: The main question of this is; if I have Scavenger Crane and Extra Munitions, can I just keep discarding the CARD (to get it back with the crane) and save the token for an emergency, or will dropping the card before the token just rob me of a use?

ConfusedUs posted:

The token goes away when the card goes away.

I don't think there's any RAW basis for a position either way, to be honest. It's not something the rules cover. Nothing tells you to discard them with the card, nothing tells you not to

It needs FAQ to confirm intent, like a LOT of unclear stuff this weave.

Man I wish they could be a bit more lively with their FAQing, we've known about most of the issues with this since the first spoilers.

Also go see a Star War it a good Star War

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Raged posted:

Last Jedi is reallly, really good.

No other new ships for X-wing in it, maybe some for Armada.

Also stay out of all SA threads about it even ones with spoiler tags. FYAD exists and they love to ruin poo poo.

I was on SA for over a week between the release of TFA and when I saw it and the only thing spoiled for me was that Rey flies the falcon and it was this thread that did it.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Poopy Palpy posted:

I was on SA for over a week between the release of TFA and when I saw it and the only thing spoiled for me was that Rey flies the falcon and it was this thread that did it.

Biggest spoiler already blown in the GBS thread.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Some Numbers posted:

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Crack Shot (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Jess Pava (25)
R2-D6 (1)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Swarm Leader (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Crack Shot (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Juke (2)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Crack Shot (1)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Total: 97

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

You could also rip off the ATs and turn one A-Wing into a slim Jake build.

I like this a lot. Why the sensor cluster on Jess? I haven't seen that before. Does the math work better with her reroll abiilty?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Then a friend took it a step further, and hooooooly shiiiit.
[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!75:18,36,-1,3:-1:3:;224::-1:-1:;251:219,165,250:-1:-1:&sn=Low-Down%20Dirty%20Swarm%20Leader&obs=[/url]

No token ever goes to waste. It's deceptively fast (even Low has a 5-forward). It doesn't have to fly in formation. It's got a late-game points fortress in Corran. All the ships are fairly hard to kill, with Rex being the only one likely to go down turn one to focus fire. And it throws a ton of red dice: Corran and Low hit like trucks with lots of dice and hefty modification.

I'm going to be testing this heavily online, and I may just have to buy a goddamned E-Wing.

How do you run the actions here? Rex Evades, Corran does Focus/Evade unless he needs to arc dodge, Lowie Reinforces? How many stress should you give him, no more than two so he's clean next turn?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

How do you run the actions here? Rex Evades, Corran does Focus/Evade unless he needs to arc dodge, Lowie Reinforces? How many stress should you give him, no more than two so he's clean next turn?

Yeah. Rex hangs near Lowie at all times, always evades. Corran usually focus/evades unless he needs to arc dodge. Lowie usually Reinforces unless it's clear that reinforce won't ever possibly help (like the opponent is chasing Corran halfway across the board), in which case he focuses.

Your goal with Maul re-rolls is to end the turn with no more than one stress, so usually one or two re-rolls. However, if you're in a position where it's going to take Low 2-4 turns to get back to the fight, might as well go all-in on that last shot before he's out, since you'l lhave plenty of time to clear that stress before you need it again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I recently started looking into a way to avoid "lost" tokens as a way to improve list-wide action efficiency. In other words: if a ship takes a focus or evade token, but never uses it, was that action wasted? Did it provide any benefit to your list? I feel that it *is* a waste.

Didn't take me long to realize that Swarm Leader is a really, really good upgrade to avoid lost tokens. It's traditionally an Imperial upgrade, but...what if it doesn't have to be? To make it work, all you really need is heavy offensive modification on a platform that won't die easily.

This lead me to Swarm Leader...Lowhhrick? With Maul and Ezra crew.

My first attempt was pairing him with Tank Rey
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!201:220,-1,200,63:2:27:U.128,m.12;251:219,165,250:-1:-1:&sn=Rey%20%2B%20Low&obs=

Results were really promising, and I'd feel comfortable taking this list to a regional. It's better than Rey + Rebel in most matchups. However, I felt that there were too many turns where I wasn't getting use of Swarm Leader because they were shooting at Rey.

Then a friend took it a step further, and hooooooly shiiiit.
[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v4!s!75:18,36,-1,3:-1:3:;224::-1:-1:;251:219,165,250:-1:-1:&sn=Low-Down%20Dirty%20Swarm%20Leader&obs=[/url]

No token ever goes to waste. It's deceptively fast (even Low has a 5-forward). It doesn't have to fly in formation. It's got a late-game points fortress in Corran. All the ships are fairly hard to kill, with Rex being the only one likely to go down turn one to focus fire. And it throws a ton of red dice: Corran and Low hit like trucks with lots of dice and hefty modification.

I'm going to be testing this heavily online, and I may just have to buy a goddamned E-Wing.

I love this concept, but I just cannot feel good about Corran Horn in a meta with Kylo Ren. ISYTDS can kill him in two turns.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Seldom Posts posted:

I like this a lot. Why the sensor cluster on Jess? I haven't seen that before. Does the math work better with her reroll abiilty?

Mostly something to do with free points. You could easily turn it into Pattern Analyzer or Advanced Optics.

Advanced Optics might be the way to go with this list, actually.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I love this concept, but I just cannot feel good about Corran Horn in a meta with Kylo Ren. ISYTDS can kill him in two turns.

That's definitely a weakness, but I don't think it's that bad. It's workable for sure. ISYTDS relies on Corran getting hit. With focus, evade, and Low's reinforce, it's pretty hard to get that crit through his defenses. If they don't do it turn one, Rex starts suppressing. I think the key is to kill the Kylo carrier before the second ISYTDS comes out.

That shouldn't be too terribly hard, as this list hits like a truck. Range 1, the list puts out a maximum of 17 red dice per round (assuming 2x swarm leader and corran's double tap), or 13 dice at other ranges.

I'd aim to wound RAC at range 3 (where Corran is super unlikely to take the crit), do not double-tap, then dive into range 1 and dumpster him. It's really unlikely they'll get 2x ISYTDS through before that happens. If it's double-ace Kylo bomber, it's even easier to just nuke the bomber.

And if it's Kylo pilot, the condition gets shuffled to whomever shoots Kylo first, so it's easy to pawn that off on Low.

Edit: I think I'd be more scared of Crimson Leader with Trajectory Simulator and proton bombs

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
This sounds great and all, but doesn't help the fact that the red dice hate me and give me blanks all the time.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

IronSaber posted:

This sounds great and all, but doesn't help the fact that the red dice hate me and give me blanks all the time.

You could go crazy like the guy I played last week and have 50 of each colour and get rid of the dice every time they roll blank.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Seldom Posts posted:

Sensor Cluster is all about raising the floor on your evades. Even with Jess's ability and Advanced Optics you can still blank out. Sensor Cluster is 100% guaranteed one evade, and since a focus is involved either way the math supports it. Since her ability works on offense too and render Target Locks the next best thing to useless to take, and she needs to fly in formation, the opportunity cost for not taking Advanced Optics is really small on Jess since you can't double up focuses anyway.

On any other pilot, Advanced Optics is better.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I ran this tonight and broke even, had a blast though. Norra combo is so janky and I love it, and they all actually synergize really well:

Norra Wexley (29)
Marksmanship (3)
Kyle Katarn (3)
BB-8 (2)
Experimental Interface (3)
Alliance Overhaul (0)

Lowhhrick (28)
Draw Their Fire (1)
Jan Ors (2)
C-3PO (3)

Ezra Bridger (Sheathipede) (17)
Push the Limit (3)
Maul (3)
R3-A2 (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I might swap R3-A2 for R2 Astromech, since it and Maul are redundant in attaching stress on attack, while giving me more greens would help him stay in formation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Marksmanship seems way worse than PtL, since you're getting a Focus from Kyle anyway.

Then you can rip off Experimental Interface and replace it with Engine Upgrade.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
After seeing The Last Jedi, there's a couple things they could mine for X-Wing, beyond what they already did. minor spoilers, but only for ship types:

Some kind of tiny Resistance shuttle, a new type of First Order shuttle, they could bring in the Resistance transports as an Epic ship; new A-Wings

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

After seeing The Last Jedi, there's a couple things they could mine for X-Wing, beyond what they already did. minor spoilers, but only for ship types:

Some kind of tiny Resistance shuttle, a new type of First Order shuttle, they could bring in the Resistance transports as an Epic ship; new A-Wings

There’s also DJ’s stolen ship for Scum

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

But yeah, really not a lot in there other than the A wings we've all been talking about for like 8 months.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Game needs two crew cards: a new one for General Leia, and a porg.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Game needs two crew cards: a new one for General Leia, and a porg.

What about a bb-8 crew card?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I never managed to pick up a TIE Striker when they came out and somehow did not becaome aware of the existence of Swarm Leader until yesterday and holy poo poo you guys

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Madurai posted:

I never managed to pick up a TIE Striker when they came out and somehow did not becaome aware of the existence of Swarm Leader until yesterday and holy poo poo you guys

Swarm Leader is pretty good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Swarm Leader is pretty good.

It's very high variance. If you get lucky and your Swarm Leader doesn't get nuked it's great, otherwise you lose.

It's very risky.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Striker is one of the most fun ships in the game IMHO

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Striker is one of the most fun ships in the game IMHO

Agreed. I wish it wasn't also one of the worst. :(

----

Tomorrow is a tournament where you have to have a ship from the new movies (any expansion that has the blue logo). I'm expecting a shitload of Poe and Kylo. Maybe some Rey.

What would you take as a counter to those two? I'm considering a Gunner/Vader/Hotcop decimator + Quickdraw.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:27,-1,21,45,213,-1:-1:3:;208:27,36,-1,187:42:31:&sn=RAC%20Quickdraw&obs=

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ever have one of those bad dice days?

Over 3 games I had 5 Talonbane range one shots with TL. 5 attack dice 5 times with rerolls. Each friggin time 1 hit 4 of which evaded by 1 green die ships. Just painful......

Spent the time on the trip back looking at all the regionals that I could find and half were won by wookies of some sort and all but one of the rest had them in the top 4. Anyone think FFG is going to hit them with the nerf bat in the distant future?

edit: Lowie/Miranda/Jess is just pure rear end to play against.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed. I wish it wasn't also one of the worst. :(

----

Tomorrow is a tournament where you have to have a ship from the new movies (any expansion that has the blue logo). I'm expecting a shitload of Poe and Kylo. Maybe some Rey.

What would you take as a counter to those two? I'm considering a Gunner/Vader/Hotcop decimator + Quickdraw.

[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!99:27,-1,21,45,213,-1:-1:3:;208:27,36,-1,187:42:31:&sn=RAC%20Quickdraw&obs=[/url]

If you can double stress Kylo or drop enough stress on the prime thrusters version he is turbo boned. TLTs and bombs and especially ion can make Kylo have a bad day. He may be agile but still only 5 health with no natural evade.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

HotCoP Gunner RAC is a solid counter to Poe and reasonable counter to Kylo but both RAC and his wingmen are bad against Rey.

You don't have all good matchups with that crowd of ships with any list really.

Raged posted:

Over 3 games I had 5 Talonbane range one shots with TL. 5 attack dice 5 times with rerolls. Each friggin time 1 hit 4 of which evaded by 1 green die ships. Just painful......

Spent the time on the trip back looking at all the regionals that I could find and half were won by wookies of some sort and all but one of the rest had them in the top 4. Anyone think FFG is going to hit them with the nerf bat in the distant future?

edit: Lowie/Miranda/Jess is just pure rear end to play against.

I'm getting really, really bugged by the number of complete agency blocker lists that I'm seeing at the moment, usually featuring Lowhhrick. It just makes the whole game a trial to play. They do slow moves in formation on roll minimally modded reds, you do whateverthefuck you want and you're lucky to sink even one meaningful damage a round with your whole list, even if you're running stupidly powerful attacking poo poo like Imperial PS11 alpha.

Those kinds of lists really bug me, because they basically don't bother playing the game, they just play listbuilding, and gently caress that poo poo.

FFG had been pretty good over the last couple of waves at not introducing bullshit like Biggs that completely locks down any decisionmaking, then they brought in Lowwhrick and reinforce and it's just. So. loving. Dull.

It's getting to the point where even with strong lists I enjoy flying, I'm just not looking forward to the big tourneys this year.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Allowing people to bring two lists to every match and requiring objective play would go a long way to fixing the absolute shitfests caused by ordnance, palp, Soontir, etc.

If I can at least plan for rock and paper, that makes the game a lot nicer

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Objective based play in general would improve this game a lot. Alternate formats make things so much more fun.

I still haven't had a chance to play Mario Kart yet and I really want to.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think X-wing was designed with objectives in mind and I don't think it'll do what a lot of people think.

If they made an X-wing 2.0, there would probably be objectives as a core part of the game though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The core game came with missions

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

alg posted:

The core game came with missions

And they sucked- the game obviously wasn't designed for them(see: bolted on 'protect' action)

Imperial Assault and Armada were designed with objectives in mind, and there are mechanics that interact with them and they're an integral part of your list.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Yeah, at the Mustafar open. Lost three ships that day in situations where the only way to do so was for the opponent to roll max hits, including a crit, and me to blank, with the crit dealing extra damage.

Fenn at full health at range three, obstructed, against lone wolf dash.

Fenn at three health in arc at range one against Manaroo.

Manaroo at four health at range one vs a one health Miranda who had to forgo regen.

Third and first were the same game. I managed to block his dash off the board after losing Fenn, but sacrificed zuckuss to do so. It was Manaroo vs Miranda, and I played my rear end off and woulda pulled it out if he hadn’t got lucky.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Have an Inquisitor chase a tie agressor without lwf. Do zero damage over 8 turns despite TL focus. Why I stopped playing competitive for months.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm sure I've told this before; shot a cloaked Whisper (with 2-3 health left) at range 3 through a rock. Roll three hits, Whisper completely blanks out and is totalled.

Wedge (with one hull and no astro left) once rolled two naked evades, twice in as many turns, against a range 1 Miranda rolling 4 dice with a focus. He survived both turns and blew Miranda out of the water; Wedge died the next turn but without that full health Miranda I easily mopped up the rest of the list and went on to win the store championship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I like the idea of objectives; I don't like that they're all variations of capture point mechanics.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Madurai posted:

I like the idea of objectives; I don't like that they're all variations of capture point mechanics.

If you're trying to make objectives that don't shut down much of the field, you don't have a lot to work with given the X-wing mechanics.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Y'all wnat some resistance a-wing homebrew?

For the record, there may be spoilers there. OP is the new version of it. Here's the even stupider version. Love that custom mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

thespaceinvader posted:

I still haven't had a chance to play Mario Kart yet and I really want to.

I tried Mario Kart twice and it was the most painful, unfun way to spend 3 hours with your X-Wings.

Also, objectives are usually fun...once. Then I just want to dogfight again.

• Locked thread