Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Several CVs have AP bombs now which demolish German BBs. The Pan Asian DDs get nice fast moving hard to detect torps. Otherwise they aren't any better or worse than the last few months.

Edit: Having hydro makes dealing with the torps easier but the AP bombs gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MikeC posted:

Are German DDs still viable or should I just go Pan Asian?

German DDs require a higher level of skill, but they are pretty good once you get the hang of them. They get better and better as you go up the tree, but they require DD knowledge more than any other nation due how they work.

Pan Asian DDs range from OK to REALLY GOOD, like, holy poo poo the tier 7 is retardedly OP and crazy good. And my God, the smokes. The smokes are good.

I would level up PA DDs before pubbies figure out that deep water torpedoes cannot hurt them and start charging down every PA DD.

ugh its Troika posted:

What meta changes make German BBs bad? I have the T9 on that line.

Also, are they actually bad, or just not comically OP like they used to be?

AP bombs.

Buffed carriers.

British HE.

The Bismarck is actively painful to try and play atm.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MikeC posted:

Are German DDs still viable or should I just go Pan Asian?

They have quite different roles. German DDs are really good at capping bases since they can Hydro other DDs trying to contest. PA DDs are mostly about murdering BBs and cruisers with DW torps. Since the PA DDs can't torp other DDs it can be tricky to contest caps against gunboats, although the T4 and T7 have pretty amazing gunpower too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The t4 has ok gunpower, but it still can't contest a cap versus a Clemson or a Nicholas

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

ugh its Troika posted:

What meta changes make German BBs bad? I have the T9 on that line.

Also, are they actually bad, or just not comically OP like they used to be?

RN BB HE which has lead to more HE spam in general. They also have cruiser like concealment which can make them pop up with very little chance to retaliate.

Deep water torps are hard to detect if your hydro is on cool down.

More AP bombs which murder certain BBs (GZ murders cruisers with them also). As a side note, there are more people playing carriers again meaning more games with potato carriers to deal with.

Smoke changes have made team smoking mostly a thing of the past. Thus you can't rely on DDs to give you smoke to get close to contesting caps. This is especially bad on terrible maps like Okinawa, Ocean, the Atlantic, etc.

More 5x+ DD per side games (hope you have the right DDs / radar / good players).

They toned down the fire chance on the German BB HE which was probably fine given some of the other changes hadn't changed the meta.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of Bismarck, how do you bis marcks in tier 10 games? I only recently picked up the boat and while I'm having an ok time in it, I have gently caress all idea what to do when uptiered. Playing sniping games is not only boring, but feels like a waste since I don't have either the accuracy or the firepower to compete. Trying to close the distance on anyone is dangerous when I have hydro/plane ready and suicidal when I don't.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

bloom posted:

Speaking of Bismarck, how do you bis marcks in tier 10 games? I only recently picked up the boat and while I'm having an ok time in it, I have gently caress all idea what to do when uptiered. Playing sniping games is not only boring, but feels like a waste since I don't have either the accuracy or the firepower to compete. Trying to close the distance on anyone is dangerous when I have hydro/plane ready and suicidal when I don't.

It sucks but you just have to wait until midgame. Your AP still works fine, you wont get many/any citadels on T10's but you'll still be able to farm damage if you hit above the belt, and your secondaries will still gently caress up anybody who gets inside 12km. The problem will be your lovely concealment and bad-at-tier 10 armor. If you can wait to really push until midgame a lot of this goes away as people are at half health and concentrating on other targets. So pretty much just find the biggest deathball you can and sit near the back and "snipe" whatever you can see. If you get focused run away. Once you see people at half health and some of the nastier enemies are gone, push up and start wrecking face like you do in T8 matches.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
It sounds weird, but treat it like you're playing a destroyer.

Everything at tier 10 can smash you in very few hits, just like a DD, and they all KNOW that and will be gunning for you if they see you. You don't have concealment or a smokescreen to work with, so use cover to work your way closer--and if there's no cover, don't even bother. But take every advantage you can to get into that sweet spot range, and like Jacks said, just like a destroyer your power and ability to influence the game goes up more and more the fewer enemies there are on the field.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
And pray for a cyclone.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Just got the Vampire.

She is a good bote. That 3rd turret really makes the ship special and really comfortable to use.

I just cannot get a loving win though. Even pulling nearly 75k damage isn't enough. :negative:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Rorac posted:

Just got the Vampire.

She is a good bote. That 3rd turret really makes the ship special and really comfortable to use.

I just cannot get a loving win though. Even pulling nearly 75k damage isn't enough. :negative:

Do you have a 10 point captain on it or just the 6?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Just the 6 right now. I don't have any other captains of that nation.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

You ever open up Matchmaking Monitor right before a game ends because you're sitting there asking, "how the gently caress did we lose?" and, lo, it is answered?

I just had one of those. Look at all that loving red. And how you manage to get sub-30% in a conqueror is a total mystery to me :wtc:.

Mauzeraut fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 13, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mauzeraut posted:

You ever open up Matchmaking Monitor right before a game ends because you're sitting there asking, "how the gently caress did we lose?" and, lo, it is answered?

I just had one of those. Look at all that loving red. And how you manage to get sub-30% in a conqueror is a total mystery to me :wtc:.

I mean blue damage so he's not, not shooting at things, he's just in totally the wrong spots to help his team, or his team falls apart despite his efforts. It's not unheard of to have poo poo teams and have loss after loss after loss especially with only 14 games in the ship.

More likely I would go after _BLOW_ME_ in the Gearing, 840 battles but a tomato as gently caress 43% win rate, and yellow damage, or Very_Quiet in the Zao, with 175 battles but only 69 wins.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!

orange juche posted:

I mean blue damage so he's not, not shooting at things, he's just in totally the wrong spots to help his team, or his team falls apart despite his efforts. It's not unheard of to have poo poo teams and have loss after loss after loss especially with only 14 games in the ship.

More likely I would go after _BLOW_ME_ in the Gearing, 840 battles but a tomato as gently caress 43% win rate, and yellow damage, or Very_Quiet in the Zao, with 175 battles but only 69 wins.

Yeah, I might have cherry picked because Conqueror but he's far from the highlight.

We had them by the balls on A with a smaller force, should have been smooth from there, but somehow the majority of our team going B/C just got torn apart by various levels of astoundingly bad play. Must be potato harvest season.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
So does that mod show overall winrate or per ship winrate?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

xanif posted:

So does that mod show overall winrate or per ship winrate?

Per ship.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mauzeraut posted:

Yeah, I might have cherry picked because Conqueror but he's far from the highlight.

We had them by the balls on A with a smaller force, should have been smooth from there, but somehow the majority of our team going B/C just got torn apart by various levels of astoundingly bad play. Must be potato harvest season.

Glancing at that list, it's not so much that your team was bad - mostly green/yellow isn't terrible honestly, means they're at least attempting to do something - but that it's yet another game where the idiotic MM hideously stacked one team at the expense of the other. 3 unicum, 3 great, and 2 very good players on the enemy team was never going to go well for you.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Gadjah Mada is brilliant. I'm not quite feeling Hsienyang though. I'll give it a few games, but it seems like a bad Benson whereas Yueyang was really nice to play around with.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

I can only imagine the sadness on my own team when they see me join in my Indianapolis.

(I'm very bad with the Indianapolis)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

xanif posted:

I can only imagine the sadness on my own team when they see me join in my Indianapolis.

(I'm very bad with the Indianapolis)

My winrate with the Emerald is 15.38%. With a WTR of 1,072 - and a K/D of .8

It's not that I'm bad at cruisers. Or even that bad with the Emerald. I think the ship is flat out cursed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These recent US carrier changes have just completely demoralized me. Playing my Independence was already a loving pain because every ship packs insane amounts of AA and it seems that most the CV players I come up against are some kind of insane strafing wizards who just dunk on me non stop. Up until tier 6 I really liked playing my Langley and even the Bogue, but now at 6 it's like I'm constantly getting loving murdered and it's just no fun anymore.

Does it get better? Is this just how it is at higher tiers with US carriers and Japanese CVs have it better or what?

Fanzen
Feb 15, 2009

FileNotFound posted:

My winrate with the Emerald is 15.38%. With a WTR of 1,072 - and a K/D of .8

It's not that I'm bad at cruisers. Or even that bad with the Emerald. I think the ship is flat out cursed.

Can confirm, both of them are terrible.

What pairs well with a Saipan in a division?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Does it get better? Is this just how it is at higher tiers with US carriers and Japanese CVs have it better or what?

High tier CVs can nuke anyone they want with impunity. If a CV wants you dead, you're dead. There is no recourse.

As of the recent CV changes, Midway is the most desired CV for random battle.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

These recent US carrier changes have just completely demoralized me. Playing my Independence was already a loving pain because every ship packs insane amounts of AA and it seems that most the CV players I come up against are some kind of insane strafing wizards who just dunk on me non stop. Up until tier 6 I really liked playing my Langley and even the Bogue, but now at 6 it's like I'm constantly getting loving murdered and it's just no fun anymore.

High tier definitely gets better, but, uh, that means crossing the desolate Saipan-filled wasteland that is tier 7 so uh good loving luck with that. The Japanese tier 7 CV CAN beat the Saipan, but the Ranger will lose every time unless the Saipan is Warbeasty levels of retarded.

I vaguely enjoyed carriers up until tier 7, and that's where I stopped. Not going to bother until I can just free-EXP up to tier 8 or until I've gotten everything else.

Like goddamn I can't overstate how broken and stupid the Saipan is

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 13, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I bought a Saipan from their Black Friday sale, figuring I'd use it as a crew trainer but I haven't really felt like playing even that. But maybe I should!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

High tier definitely gets better, but, uh, that means crossing the desolate Saipan-filled wasteland that is tier 7 so uh good loving luck with that. The Japanese tier 7 CV CAN beat the Saipan, but the Ranger will lose every time unless the Saipan is Warbeasty levels of retarded.

I vaguely enjoyed carriers up until tier 7, and that's where I stopped. Not going to bother until I can just free-EXP up to tier 8 or until I've gotten everything else.

Like goddamn I can't overstate how broken and stupid the Saipan is

Now that T7 operations are a thing you've got an alternative.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Fanzen posted:

Can confirm, both of them are terrible.

What pairs well with a Saipan in a division?

I see a lot of people division it with an Atlanta because it has great AA and you will of course see an enemy carrier. And of course Belfast, Fiji, or any other overperforming T7 ship will be good too.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Just a couple days ago I finally saved up enough free XP to go straight from the Independence to the Lexington. I'm not at all interested in playing through the Ranger while slowly pushing nails through my testicles.

JediBlutarsky
Dec 4, 2002

So basically if you want to run carriers then just buy the Saipan so you can poo poo on everyone? Sounds good to me.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, more or less.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OK I have a question about manual targeting for my strike aircraft.

I know that if I hold down ALT, I can manually position the aiming area. However, the aiming area is aligned in a fairly arbitrary seeming way.I also know that if I hold down Shift, I can THEORETICALLY rotate it around, but it seems to be extremely fidgety and almost random. Now it's pointing left! Move two pixels to the right and it's pointing up! Now it's pointing to the lower right!

How the hell does this work?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Der Shovel posted:

OK I have a question about manual targeting for my strike aircraft.

I know that if I hold down ALT, I can manually position the aiming area. However, the aiming area is aligned in a fairly arbitrary seeming way.I also know that if I hold down Shift, I can THEORETICALLY rotate it around, but it seems to be extremely fidgety and almost random. Now it's pointing left! Move two pixels to the right and it's pointing up! Now it's pointing to the lower right!

How the hell does this work?

if you hold down alt, it'll create a circle and the line where your attack will progress, starting from the edge. If you click the approach angle from the edge, you can drag it around the circle to change where the planes enter the circle and attack from.

edit: Manual dropping is only available from T6 onwards, just fyi. Before then its autodrop, which sets an angle for you (that you can drag around after giving the order to attack). When manual dropping, after setting the manual drop, you can adjust the attack angle like I mentioned by dragging it around. Otherwise, the planes will just fly straight at the circle and drop at the earliest point possible.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2017

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
All the rewards are mine :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hazdoc posted:

if you hold down alt, it'll create a circle and the line where your attack will progress, starting from the edge. If you click the approach angle from the edge, you can drag it around the circle to change where the planes enter the circle and attack from.

Hey thanks, that actually solved the problem :D Wouldn't it be great if the game actually exposed or explained any of these mechanics?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Wargaming never did with tanks or planes, and never will with boats.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tea cup spotted

British destroyer Cossack, tier VII

Hit points - 14800, plating - 16-19 mm.

Main battery - 3х2 120 mm. Firing range - 11.9 km. Maximum HE shell damage - 1700. Maximum AP shell damage - 2100. Reload time - 5 s. 180 degree turn time - 18 s. Maximum dispersion - 104 m. HE shell initial velocity - 808 m/s. AP shell initial velocity - 808 m/s. Sigma value - 2.0.

Torpedo tubes - 1х4 533 mm. Maximum damage - 15867. Range - 8 km. Speed - 61 kt. Reload time - 96 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time - 7.2 s.

Maximum speed - 36 kt. Turning circle radius - 610 m. Rudder shift time - 3.6 s. Surface detectability - 6.6 km. Air detectability - 3.9 km. Detectability after firing main guns in smoke - 2.4 km.

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Smoke Generator

Slot 3 - Engine Boost

She's a Tribal class, but worth nothing this is a mid-war config, where the 4th dual 120mm DP turret has been replaced by a dual 102mm DP turret, ie a secondary in game

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 16, 2017

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Ever wonder what it takes to tank your winrate down to 46%? Gaze into the mind of a badicum!
https://worldofwarships.eu/en/community/accounts/516715243-AfrayedKnot/!/pvp/overview/
(Who is the Kagero here)

Game starts off normally. 4 DD per side, we start with 2 near C and one each each of A and B:

Everyone wants to go C though, besides the DD who spawned near A - he is going B. Our baddie is happy with this plan though and leaves B to join the C train:

With C secure it's time to make the next logical move, run off into the enemy spawn after one of the top DD killers, who is behind an island forcing a short range engagement:

At the same time he's firing torps along the red arrow, which I think are not even in rage of the North Carolina there, but I am not certain.

What I do know is they were fired from behind our Chung Mu:

Capping things off, of course the Hindenburg murders him and we lose having never capped anything besides C.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I'm liking the Pensacola more now that I've figured out I need to give up on behind island sniping and just cruise around with the battleships so that people shoot them instead of me. Funny thing is my winrate with the Pensacola is pretty good and my winrate on the Indianapolis is absolute trash despite being, effectively, just a better Pensacola.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

xanif posted:

I'm liking the Pensacola more now that I've figured out I need to give up on behind island sniping and just cruise around with the battleships so that people shoot them instead of me. Funny thing is my winrate with the Pensacola is pretty good and my winrate on the Indianapolis is absolute trash despite being, effectively, just a better Pensacola.

Guns on the back encouraging more kiting for you? I know that happens to me.