Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

hailthefish posted:

YMMV but my state ID card is literally identical in every way to a driver's license except it says "Identification Card" instead of "Driver's License" at the top.

Usually the rub is they require two pieces of identification, one has to be photo ID issued by the state or federal government (driver's license, state ID, military ID, passport) and one has to be something with your name and address on it (utility bill, &c).

Yeah, that's been my experience too, but the goon said that they don't accept state ID so I'm curious if that's all state issued photo ID including driver's licenses, or is it just the non-DL ID cards that people (usually poorer I imagine since they can't afford a car?) get. Cuz if it is all state issued photo ID then I don't even get what someone would be required to do in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

Do you mean non-driver's license here when you say "ID Card"? If not, what would be accepted? Passport? First born?

Yes. Everyone here saying this makes no sense are completely in the right. A state issued ID card, probably with the words “not a drivers license” written on it just so you didn’t get bold and take a road trip.

Now that I think about it, I believe the official list of applicable forms of ID did not include a state issued ID. Because of that all the managers got spooked and stopped allowing those. Whether this was deliberate or not by corporate is unclear. But again, they have to blame someone so they deliberately stack the deck. The ban didn’t last more than a couple of months. I was a floating teller and worked at 20+ branches and only a few of them were hard asses about ID cards.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes. Everyone here saying this makes no sense are completely in the right. A state issued ID card, probably with the words “not a drivers license” written on it just so you didn’t get bold and take a road trip.

Now that I think about it, I believe the official list of applicable forms of ID did not include a state issued ID. Because of that all the managers got spooked and stopped allowing those. Whether this was deliberate or not by corporate is unclear. But again, they have to blame someone so they deliberately stack the deck. The ban didn’t last more than a couple of months. I was a floating teller and worked at 20+ branches and only a few of them were hard asses about ID cards.

Sounds like either a district lead or a district ops manager was just a retard then. Possibly the DM but less likely given this specific issue. DMs are absolutely numbskulls just not in that way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

This was the mid-90's and it was becoming easier to create fake ID's. Maybe people were forging more ID's compared to licenses.

That I can understand. Until about 2004 Oklahoma state IDs and drivers' licenses looked like someone ran them off on a discount laserjet printer and put them through a home laminating machine, oh right that's because that's exactly what the Oklahoma DMV did.

I had to use my military ID in shops or bars in other states because no one believed my state ID could possibly be real.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

The Butcher posted:

And what is this "something else" that our hero who "understands debt better than the average person" looking to invest in.

You'll never, ever guess.

Ahhhhh, that's the stuff.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Zo posted:

lol i just checked and yeah TD headquarters is nipping this poo poo in the bud. like within 10 hours of the story breaking?

they have a pretty good reputation for being consumer friendly and will be very protective of that reputation
Except they hosed around with the client for like eight months before finally resolving it.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moneyball posted:

Why must you make my job harder? Post about BWM

Because the mods do not practice the censorship policy evenly. Remarks that are considerably left, or even far-left, are often allowed. Whereas right and far-right remarks are suppressed more strictly.

After all, it is not as if non-BWM remarks are outright banned. There are numerous posts that are blatantly and clearly non-BWM. Why then is it that non-BWM posts are more unacceptable when it is right or far-right?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

John Smith posted:

Because the mods do not practice the censorship policy evenly. Remarks that are considerably left, or even far-left, are often allowed. Whereas right and far-right remarks are suppressed more strictly.

After all, it is not as if non-BWM remarks are outright banned. There are numerous posts that are blatantly and clearly non-BWM. Why then is it that non-BWM posts are more unacceptable when it is right or far-right?

Because you are an idiot.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Griffball posted:

Because you are an idiot.
Nah, think you are just too stupid to see why. Alternatively, being in denial about it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

John Smith posted:

John Smith posted:

Just to clarify, I 100% believe in victim blaming for rape and sky diving as well. Not joking.

I am ok with far-right remarks such as this getting suppressed. gently caress off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hmm, deffo seems like you an idiot yes

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Phanatic posted:

But what's the alternative to a state-issued ID? I mean, if they don't accept that, what do they accept? Something that looks like a utility bill that someone could have made up on a manual typewriter?

As a person who has a job in a department of a brokerage firm that is solely devoted to verifying customers...sometimes, yes. Actually, for certain issues, I don't even need a photo ID, an electric or water bill will do. But it's generally not hard to tell a real bill from a fake.

I've also noticed that what really freaks people out, reps and managers alike, are learners permits. I'm basically 2nd in command on my team, so I can make exceptions on what the reps can take outside of the approved list. I get questions constantly on permits and provisional licenses. My answer is pretty much always "take it as long as it's valid and has a photo, it counts as a state issued photo ID, you don't even need an exception from me." I figure if you can buy smokes with it, it's fine. But other managers freak out about taking them because it's not explicitly spelled out.

It's all arbitrary if we're going at ALL outside the list. I tend also to be gentler on 18 year olds that are just starting out and 88 year olds in nursing homes than average 38 year olds...I mean, if you can't provide a utility bill with your name and address on it in the prime of your life, do I really want your business?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

John Smith posted:

I mean yeah, that's true, but it's just what posting on general forums is like these days. It's why I won't set foot in D&D and why I'm happy that long derails about politics (and well, anything non-BWM related here) are to be avoided. The difference is, when it does leak here, I'm able to roll my eyes and ignore it, which you don't seem able to do.

You've earned the expectation that not only does anything you post here not contribute to the topic, but it will then cause a derail just to deal with whatever dumb thing was said. So when that happens, it's pretty much zero tolerance. Either post on topic, or don't post in the thread.

Don't worry about what others post that doesn't contribute. You ain't them. They, for the most part, adhere to the rules and I call them out when they don't. You earned the zero-tolerance. That's something you did. Start posting on topic if you're going to post here and I'll give you an inch.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I work mostly with businesses and you'd be shocked how many people (not just young kids either) that come in thinking all they need to open a business account is the name they came up with. I had to explain to a 44 year old man that "LLC" actually meant something, and that he can't just declare himself one. He left in a huff that he'd have to register with the state. "Well I don't even think I wanna do this anymore!" Good, because if registering your drat business is too much work for you then I can only imagine how hard it's going to be on you to run your online Alibaba resale store.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
poo poo, if you're just gonna make up a name go balls-out and go with GmbH, not just the lame LLC.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
I gotta say, "It's a horse." is one of my favorite thread titles we've ever had for this thread. It still makes me giggle. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Phanatic posted:

poo poo, if you're just gonna make up a name go balls-out and go with GmbH, not just the lame LLC.

I always liked Oy

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Phanatic posted:

You do not want to use EU corporations for fakery. They are way easier to falsify as non-existing.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jzrka/trying_to_get_ahead_my_friend_got_hosed_by_tai/

quote:

I was recently considering jumping in and doing the Tai Lopez course as part of a New Years resolution because I looped the Jordan Peterson 'clean your room' thing while I was sleeping. And here's how I know marketing works... The thousands of times that I heard Lopez go "I'm in my garage and these are my books that are so insignificant to my mansion life that I keep them in the garage" followed by that ad where he paid a couple of women to watch him do a kickboxing workout are what I would hear when I woke up, and I was thinking, drat, it's a sign. But it was just advertising inundation. And here's how I know: my friend got scammed for a lot of money because a big part of the Tai Lopez scheme is "impress Tai with how you're willing to invest in yourself [aka - spend money on Tai's poo poo] and he might invest in your company [likely with money you already spent on his garbage." My friend even paid almost $1000 to have dinner with him. Blah...

So I write all that because I'm frustrated. I work 60+ hours a week. I get what seems to me like a decent wage considering my that I don't have any great qualifications, I have a budget that I hold myself too, I only have one credit card bill, no car payment, etc. But trying to save for a down payment is interminable. I don't have a life. My wife is awesome but we're always so tired and it's getting harder and harder for us to not let our financial stress become the only thing our relationship is. No fun. She works too, but at a starting salary in front of a mountain of student loans...

Anyway, I'm sort of just venting, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on three topics: 1) Is there a good 'how to relationship in financial stress' resource for couples? 2) Does anyone else have a story about someone like Tai Lopez? 3) How do people get enough money saved to qualify for a mortgage?

Thanks, Ulf

The post is mostly general nonsensical rambling but that bold party is pretty solid BWM.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
anything advising you to "INVEST IN YOURSELF" is pretty routinely bad with money

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I invested $1000 in myself 10 years ago I would have had a terrible ROI.

Most people are not A rated investments.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

You would be buying low on me now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Krispy Wafer posted:

If I invested $1000 in myself 10 years ago I would have had a terrible ROI.

Most people are not A rated investments.

Remember when Walmart (and maybe others?) were taking out life insurance on their workers so that the company got paid when they died? Now that was smart investment in your workforce.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Barry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7jzrka/trying_to_get_ahead_my_friend_got_hosed_by_tai/

The post is mostly general nonsensical rambling but that bold party is pretty solid BWM.

Pretty solid GWM for Tai though

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ashcans posted:

Remember when Walmart (and maybe others?) were taking out life insurance on their workers so that the company got paid when they died? Now that was smart investment in your workforce.

Hmm, I guess that's why they like to hire the very aged as greeters. GWM.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

Good lord that's some dire, pure strain late-stage dystopia poo poo.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Barry posted:

I really want to know what he means by an "ad where he paid a couple of women to watch him do a kickboxing workout"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Good lord that's some dire, pure strain late-stage dystopia poo poo.

It's also a lousy way to fund a college sports program
https://deadspin.com/5894864/oklahoma-state-gambled-millions-that-its-boosters-would-die-and-lost

The late-stage dystopia part would include a network of assassins hired by corporations to murder the employees whenever their own actuarial tables would say that the life insurance payout is greater than their estimated future productivity calculations.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Ashcans posted:

Walmart did do this, and I think it is pretty common now. Though most employers give the employee's beneficiary a cut for 1x annual salary; I think Walmart was keeping it all.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

canyoneer posted:

https://deadspin.com/5894864/oklahoma-state-gambled-millions-that-its-boosters-would-die-and-lost

The late-stage dystopia part would include a network of assassins hired by corporations to murder the employees whenever their own actuarial tables would say that the life insurance payout is greater than their estimated future productivity calculations.

Explains the increase in data science opportunities.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

Walmart did do this, and I think it is pretty common now. Though most employers give the employee's beneficiary a cut for 1x annual salary; I think Walmart was keeping it all.

Yes, it's not too uncommon. A dead employee generates cost for the employer so it kinda makes sense. Term life policies are stupid cheap when you get a big enough risk pool so unless the company is somehow gaming the odds it's not too nefarious.

No insurer would ever let you take policies out on Browns fans.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

canyoneer posted:

That's too complicated and creates too much legal paperwork to shuffle around. A much better idea is to just require your employees to disclose any social media platforms they use, and then aggregate information through those to determine the best time to fire them so that they'll probably die. Maybe you have an elderly greeter posting about being alone during the holidays? Time to cut them off and count on the winter to finish them off.

The policies don't require the person stay employed, after all, so you drop people at the right moment to crash their life and then collect when it catches up to them in a year.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ashcans posted:

That's too complicated and creates too much legal paperwork to shuffle around. A much better idea is to just require your employees to disclose any social media platforms they use, and then aggregate information through those to determine the best time to fire them so that they'll probably die. Maybe you have an elderly greeter posting about being alone during the holidays? Time to cut them off and count on the winter to finish them off.

The policies don't require the person stay employed, after all, so you drop people at the right moment to crash their life and then collect when it catches up to them in a year.
I hate how doable this is in the current environment.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Ashcans posted:

This is the BAD with money thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Why not do it as a social media company and actively ruin their lives? I think we found out how to make snapchat profitable!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Let's pick a winner for Ye Olde Bad With Money so we can get on with the BWM of the year thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825254&pagenumber=2#post479381401

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I am still struggling to see how they are managing to pay Verizon $250/mo. Their site says $41.66/mo with $0 down over 24 months if you have great credit, or $24.99/mo with $400 down if you have poo poo credit. 0% APR too. Guessing they didn't have the cash to pay the $800 combined downpayment, that still doesn't account for $167/mo.

I mean unless I ask them I'll probably never know what plan they have, it just blows my mind to know people are paying that much money in 2017 for cell service.

A few pages back, but this is easy:

Unlimited data for two lines is $160. However, that’s with auto pay, so really it’s $170. The cheaper unlimited data (no hotspot, throttled anytime if network congestion happens) is $140 without autopay as well.

Two new iPhones are like, $33 to $39 a month if you’re generous to assume iPhone 8+ and not the X.

Insurance is $11 a line.

So about $250 before or after tax, depending on phone.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, it's not too uncommon. A dead employee generates cost for the employer so it kinda makes sense. Term life policies are stupid cheap when you get a big enough risk pool so unless the company is somehow gaming the odds it's not too nefarious.

I didn't see it explained in too much detail, but this is called "key person" insurance. Basically the company has to show an insurable interest in the employee as far as loss of sales/revenue/training/etc. Not sure how Walmart managed to show that for every employee (if that's really what was happening), but as far as upper end sales positions and officers it's extremely common.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Walmart didn't get that, they (and other companies like Winn-Dixie) took out Corporate-Owned Life Insurance on their employees. To be clear, these were nothing to do with the people holding key positions or the impact of their death on the company, it was just a regular life insurance policy that the company paid and named them as the beneficiary. In many cases, the companies maintained the policies after employees had left and moved on to other jobs, and still claimed the insurance when that person died, years after having worked for them.

It was apparently known as 'Dead Peasant' insurance, which gives you an accurate idea of how it was thought of. Several cases of it came to light in the mid-90s and once it had public attention it was considered so ghoulish and inappropriate it was largely restricted and abolished, because somehow the mid 1990s were a beacon of reason and compromise in lawmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
I don't see how that is a good bet for Wal-Mart or other companies. Insurance should roughly equal the probability of death * payout + profit and expense provisions. Basically they are betting against the insurance companies actuaries (e.g. this could could be profitable if Wal-Mart knew their employee base had substantially impaired life expectancies vs the table the actuaries use). But that would be an - uh - interesting profit generating strategy. So this was most - assuredly bad with Money.

edit: Oh, taxes.

last laugh fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 16, 2017